Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know this is somewhat premature since Folio 1.0 hasn't been released yet but I can't help wondering if I shouldn't wait for version 2.0 of this product. I sounds like a great concept, but it also sounds very over priced and almost all applications seem like they need to be purchased third party.

I can't help but think about all those people who rushed out and dropped $600 on the iphone and I have heard that iphone version 2.0 could be out as early as christmass and almost half priced.

I just wanted to hear some of the members thoughts on this.
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    That's certainly something to consider. If the current Foleo won't fit your needs, but almost does. Or isn't quite different enough. (A Foleo with a touch screen would've been interesting.) Or it just feels like it doesn't come prepackaged with enough. Wait it out and see. Hopefully there will be a Foleo 2.0, that contains the added oomph that many people want it to have.

But, like you said, it is a bit premature. We still have yet to see everything that's going to be available the day it comes out. What update's Palm will be making after it's out, and what the developer communities come up with.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonRM79 View Post
    I know this is somewhat premature since Folio 1.0 hasn't been released yet but I can't help wondering if I shouldn't wait for version 2.0 of this product. I sounds like a great concept, but it also sounds very over priced and almost all applications seem like they need to be purchased third party.

I can't help but think about all those people who rushed out and dropped $600 on the iphone and I have heard that iphone version 2.0 could be out as early as christmass and almost half priced.

I just wanted to hear some of the members thoughts on this.
    Why do you want or need a Foleo?
    HP200LX -> Palm Pilot -> Palm III -> Sony PEG-300 -> Sony PEG-N710C -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p -> (iPhone or Treo 800L or something unexpected)??
    Personally. I will buy 1.0 and 3.0. Unless 2.0 has a substantial changes.
    I know I'm very interested in the Foleo, I'm hoping that by the time it actually launches, that palm will include several apps with it to make it worth while. I think it has a lot of potential. Returning to school now, I find myself looking for something like this that I can carry around thats not to big, but able to do all of the things that I need it to do. I've been looking at several Ultra portables lately because of the foleo, such as the Sony Vaio TX, the Toshiba R500 and the Dell XPS M1330. I want something super light, and portable that I can take with me any where. My only issue is hoping palm will at least after launch keep people updated as far as what they are and want to do with the foleo as well as being upfront about any updates that they might have in the works. That way people know whats going on.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    (A Foleo with a touch screen would've been interesting.)
    My goodness, a foleo with a touch screen would have been stupendous, in fact, a convertible tablet machine with a touch screen wouldn't be too far off from the core goals palm envisioned in this foleo v 1.0.

Although I myself am purchasing a Foleo as soon as it is out, im doing so with the intent of putting my money into a company that i support, which if you know me, you know is rare because i really am not a loyal customer, i look for whats best at the moment. So in essence you must realize that they will be coming out with a 2.0 version and that it will be much better.

For the moment the Foleo will fill a gap, and a price tag of $500.00 isnt bad to fill that gap, although IMHO it should really be priced right around 400.00.

There are a lot of gaps to fill as far as the software is concerned, what with most of the functionality being provided by third party vendors at an additional cost, and not the 15.00 or 29.00 price tag most palm third party apps charge right now. Im envisioning that Motion Apps will charge right around 40-50 for their mDayScape application. Of course, supporting third party companies and including them in the palm landscape is essential to really keeping a large development and user base around the palm products, so I see what they are trying to do. What i don't agree with, is the fact that certain core applications are not being included, such as mDayscape, which is something that current Treo users expect to have right out of the box. Of course nothing is confirmed as of yet, so i suppose we should all wait and find out what is and isnt included with the Foleo right out of the box.

anyways... thats my 2 cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr View Post
    Smart question.

To the OP if you can answer that, you'll know if the Foleo is for you.

On the fence? Wait for version 1.5, lol. By which I mean after they
    (a) Roll out some updates
    (b) 3rd party programs and freeware hit the streets
    (c) reviews from here and other places

If at that point you are not convinced then I'd either move on and wait for something else (2.0, UMPC, etc.).

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr View Post

I want a Foleo because I am on my way back to graduate school. I have a laptop, but I am looking for something that I can carry with me to class or in a messenger bag. Treo with a keyboard is small for that. I don't need another laptop and besides our laptop is more like the house computer than a mobile device. Its portable, but still on the heavy side at almost 6ibs. Foleo sounds like a nice alternative.

The problems I have with Foleo is the same as most, relative lack of computing power ie I hear you can't do power points that have animations etc..
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
    I want a Foleo because I am on my way back to graduate school.
    I'm in grad school now and the reasons why you want are the same as mine, so I suspect we have similar needs and requirements.

I've decided to get a Foleo if that helps. My issue is the PP with Slides too. Hopefully that'll be addressed. Evidently, in the show versions you couldn't edit PP but bcombee has said the latest version allows editing (of text). So maybe more fluid options for PP are forthcoming as well. It's not a deal breaker but certainly a preference as I do a lot of PP.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    I want to see what kind of developer support it gets, that will probably have me wait until V2 just because of the timeline. I'd also like to see the price go down.
    How about LifeDrive 2.0?
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    I posted the same question in a different thread as with all the good apps being 3rd party, the cost is now starting to get out of control.
    Here in Australia I will purchase the device from day 1 as by the time it finally becomes available (about 6 months after you guys) it will be v2!
    Palm IIIx > m505 > Tungsten T > T5 > Red BlackBerry Pearl 8110 (only device work IT will allow!)
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    How about LifeDrive 2.0?
    Sadly my friend, Palm has declared LifeDrive dead already. Although i would love to have a Palm "Resurrected"
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Sadly my friend, Palm has declared LifeDrive dead already. Although i would love to have a Palm "Resurrected"
    I believe he was calling the Foleo a dud, ie it is the Lifedrive 2.0.
  15.    #15  
    Lifedrive 2.0 would have been a good idea if they could make it be a little slimmer and if they put a gsm radio in it.
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    My issue is the PowerPoint also. While at the NYC Sneek Preview I was discussing the possibility of having Open Office run on the Foleo. The reason they did not try and run OO was because it would not be an instant on/switching app. So if OO Impress can run but has to load first on a Foleo then I am definitely getting a Foleo.
  17.    #17  
    I don't know much about open office. I have had one of my students show me the program on his laptop. Can Presentations made on open office run on MS Power Point.
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
    I want a Foleo because I am on my way back to graduate school. I have a laptop, but I am looking for something that I can carry with me to class or in a messenger bag. Treo with a keyboard is small for that. I don't need another laptop and besides our laptop is more like the house computer than a mobile device. Its portable, but still on the heavy side at almost 6ibs. Foleo sounds like a nice alternative.

The problems I have with Foleo is the same as most, relative lack of computing power ie I hear you can't do power points that have animations etc..
    I would probably go for 1.0 in your case. I don't know how long your day is, but the battery life definately is getting me interested. (Especially the standby time)
    HP200LX -> Palm Pilot -> Palm III -> Sony PEG-300 -> Sony PEG-N710C -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p -> (iPhone or Treo 800L or something unexpected)??
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    It's also going to depend on your campus facilities and classes that you'll be taking. If your classrooms are equipped with an outlet at every seat, you come to class on time regularly, and you're happy with a hibernate mode on your laptop, then you might not need a Foleo.

In my case, auditorium style classes tend to have people on either side of you who want to leave the very second class ends. They don't want to wait for someone to shut off a computer. In the classrooms with desks, classes are pretty full, and you are never guaranteed a spot next to the outlets in the walls. I have labs where I might need to move my device around a lot and perhaps the outlets, while available might often need to be use by voltmeters and hotplates, and the amount of available computers relative to the class size is limited. I also have organization meetings to go to (I'm a part of three separate organizations), where easy access to wall outlets isn't convenient due to the layout of the seats and tables. Battery life (coupled with the insta on/off to extend that even further) is invaluable in these situations.

During the meetings, there also often ends tends to be last minute announcements where the ability to just flick on the Foleo and add in the info/data is extremely convenient.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I never get the first version of something. My first Palm was Palm V, my first Treo was a 600, so am always a little behind. I think if you are not 100 percent sure you want it, don't go for version one. If you are not sure it means you don't fully understand all the features, therefore you cannot make full use of it, therefore it would like just collect dusts. Also if you worry about along term support on the product, seeing version 2 means at least version 1 was ok, if not a smash success, so version 2 is only going be better and more useful for you.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast