Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I am not a graduate student, but my main interest is to take notes with Foleo. I don't like Docs To Go, in fact, I don't like anything that pretends to be something but not quite there. I would rather have a non-Word based note program that supports a few key features really well, and just export to word. In fact, if I has a Foleo, I am sure I would use vi a lot more than Docs to go. Only plain text is truely portable.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    I am not a graduate student, but my main interest is to take notes with Foleo.
    So buy a paper notebook instead Foleo, why you need to spend much money just using Foleo to take some notes

It's quite sad if I have Foleo for just take a note. Foleo has far better potential rather then that
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I like to write. I'm definitely going to be taking notes with the Foleo. They'll be some pretty extensive notes however.

Quote Originally Posted by ksom View Post
    I am not a graduate student, but my main interest is to take notes with Foleo. I don't like Docs To Go, in fact, I don't like anything that pretends to be something but not quite there. I would rather have a non-Word based note program that supports a few key features really well, and just export to word. In fact, if I has a Foleo, I am sure I would use vi a lot more than Docs to go. Only plain text is truely portable.
    What I'm curious about is how you want to take notes with the Foleo, but don't like Documents to Go.

What more are you expecting it to do? (or less?) It sounds like you don't like it because it isn't Word... yet want a program that is much simpler than Word. I am so confused.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonRM79 View Post
    I don't know much about open office. I have had one of my students show me the program on his laptop. Can Presentations made on open office run on MS Power Point.
    You have the option to save OpenOffice Impress presentation in MS PowerPoint format (Office 97/2000/XP). Not sure about Office 2007, although Office 2007 should be able to read in Office XP docs.
    I never get the first version of something. My first Palm was Palm V, my first Treo was a 600, so am always a little behind. I think if you are not 100 percent sure you want it, don't go for version one. If you are not sure it means you don't fully understand all the features, therefore you cannot make full use of it, therefore it would like just collect dusts. Also if you worry about along term support on the product, seeing version 2 means at least version 1 was ok, if not a smash success, so version 2 is only going be better and more useful for you.
    What works for you, might not work for others. I have no problem going with version one of something.

His best bet is to wait for the reviews, after the Foleo hits the street. Currently all we have to go on is a few minutes of hands on time with devices that haven't been finalized in their software. (Speaking of which I hope they have something like windows update)
    HP200LX -> Palm Pilot -> Palm III -> Sony PEG-300 -> Sony PEG-N710C -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p -> (iPhone or Treo 800L or something unexpected)??
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    I expect that there will be tons of free linex software ported over. add $200 to your cost for your folio so that you can have a 16G cf card and be able to keep this software on board.
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    You have the option to save OpenOffice Impress presentation in MS PowerPoint format (Office 97/2000/XP). Not sure about Office 2007, although Office 2007 should be able to read in Office XP docs.

Thanks for the info Kupe.
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hlazar View Post
    I expect that there will be tons of free linex software ported over. add $200 to your cost for your folio so that you can have a 16G cf card and be able to keep this software on board.
    So $800 for a 16 GB neutered laptop? I like the Foleo, just not the price. If it had better battery life (8 hrs maybe) or some other feature that made it way more useful than the competition then I would bite. But the nickle and dimes needed to get this thing functional seem extreme I want to like it, and sometimes start thinking I do, then reality sets in and I feel the pain even before buying it.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by braj View Post
    So $800 for a 16 GB neutered laptop? I like the Foleo, just not the price. If it had better battery life (8 hrs maybe) or some other feature that made it way more useful than the competition then I would bite. But the nickle and dimes needed to get this thing functional seem extreme I want to like it, and sometimes start thinking I do, then reality sets in and I feel the pain even before buying it.
    I am in agreement. This should at least be launched with some kind of PIM, like my dayscape or whatever its called. From what I understand it not getting email on its on either, the email it gets is dependent on your treo's email.
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
  10. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    I'm interested in what EverNote will allow. Definitely looks more useful for taking notes than DtG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    What I'm curious about is how you [ksom] want to take notes with the Foleo, but don't like Documents to Go.

What more are you expecting it to do? (or less?) It sounds like you don't like it because it isn't Word... yet want a program that is much simpler than Word. I am so confused.
    He wants a text editor, hence the vi reference. Writing and editing in vi (or even, *gasp*, Emacs) is way faster than Word once your fingers learn the keybindings. One of the first things I did at the Foleo Sneak Preview was go into Terminal and type "vi." As soon vi launched, any vestige of doubt I had about getting the Foleo vanished.

Unfortunately I have to turn in my writing projects as .doc files, so I'll probably have to use DTG anyway, at least for txt-to-doc conversion.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    What I'm curious about is how you want to take notes with the Foleo, but don't like Documents to Go.

I mixed two shortcomings of Docs to Go together, that's what made it confusing.

I want more features in Docs to Go because there will be time that I do want to write formated text, but not as notes. If I were to update a formal document, I would certainly want more format and controls. What would be really cool is that it can keep all MS Word feature based content. For Docs to Go 7, after I opened the file in MS Word and saved it, I can no longer open it in Docs to Go. That means the switch is one way, or I may miss content. I need to be able to edit the same document file on both a PC and Foleo back and forth without conversion.

When I want to take quick notes, for example in a meeting or trainging class, formating is much less important.

For me, a good note program on Foleo is much more important than a full MS Word type of editor, because when I do want to create documents, it would likely to take a lot more time and switching to a laptop or desktop is not a problem. But taking meeting notes means I may want to write down something at any moment. Or maybe I want to write down an idea quickly. Having to wait for power up and then open up a MS Word does not work. This is why I use VIM a lot on my laptop, or maybe I am just getting old.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    He wants a text editor, hence the vi reference. Writing and editing in vi (or even, *gasp*, Emacs) is way faster than Word once your fingers learn the keybindings. One of the first things I did at the Foleo Sneak Preview was go into Terminal and type "vi." As soon vi launched, any vestige of doubt I had about getting the Foleo vanished.

Unfortunately I have to turn in my writing projects as .doc files, so I'll probably have to use DTG anyway, at least for txt-to-doc conversion.
    That is one thing I was happily surprised from your review. If text based Unix based program can easily work on Foleo, it opens up a lot of other possibilities.

I would not be surprised emacs also works on Foleo, since it also has a simple text mode (but I think it required some special terminal setting to work).
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    No emacs on the Foleo I tried (deduct points for that but I suspect it will not take long for a port to materialize. Placement of the meta key may take some getting used to as I've been using the Esc key for so long.
    Quote Originally Posted by braj View Post
    So $800 for a 16 GB neutered laptop?
    1. Its not a laptop.
    2. its 599 with a 100 rebate = $500.00
    3. You don't need to spend 200 dollars on a 16 GB CF Card. I doubt most people would need anything bigger than a couple of gigs. I know i could put all my excel and word documents into a folder no bigger than 25 megs, and this includes documents i will be transferring over *just in case* i might need to look at them or work on them somewhere i didnt have my laptop.

I like the Foleo, just not the price.
    So wait until the price drops. it doesn't sound like you are some one who is an early adopter of technology. Sometimes i don't buy things right away either, and i'm very happy that on certain occasions I didnt buy right away.

If it had better battery life (8 hrs maybe) or some other feature that made it way more useful than the competition then I would bite.
    Don't you think 8 hours is asking for a bit much, after all battery life is mostly dependent on processing power, battery size, etc. So what I'm saying is that battery life to a degree is out of palms control. They wanted a small instant on device. Not a laptop with a 10 pound battery. Theres always a trade-off to be made.

But the nickle and dimes needed to get this thing functional seem extreme
    Its functional out of the box for the purpose it was intended, Email functionality, a larger screen to browse the web. Anything else you want to do with it is up to you, but why should palm have to include everything that anyone might do on it? They are bringing the platform, and unlike Microsoft are not trying to monopolize all of the software solutions.

I want to like it, and sometimes start thinking I do, then reality sets in and I feel the pain even before buying it.
    Its like anything else, the excitement wears off 2 weeks after you buy it.

You just become accustomed to having it, and in some random moment, you will have an emergency where you will need to use it, and at that moment you will be "oh so happy" you have it with you, and that the battery lasts for days even though you charge it only every so often.

Oh, and you didn't have to wait for it to boot windows to get done what you needed to get done, either.
  16.    #36  
    As, I stated earlier in this thread I am a teacher who is going back to graduate school and I already have a desktop and laptop. My needs are for something more portable than my almost 6 ib laptop that I can whip out take notes in a class, work on papers, do light data analysis, and be connected.

In looking at the factors that matter to me and this is just me, I realize when you buy any laptop you still have to shell out dollars to buy software to get it to where you want it to be. For example, if I buy another laptop chances are I buy Office 2007 Student edition with outlook. I realize that might not be true for everyone but again I ran this little analysis based on my needs.

Anyway, I compared the software essential I would buy when buying a laptop to those I would get when buying a Foleo. I found that in all Foleo will do everything thing I need it to do for almost a grand less. I used a Dell Lattitude 420, a fairly cheaply priced ultra portable laptop for my comparison. I know this is is not exact as I used my guess on what Evernote and Mydayscape will cost. But, I do think the point is clear. Foleo will get what I need done for a whole lot less and a whole lot cheaper.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by JasonRM79; 07/29/2007 at 12:06 PM.
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12