Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    We just sent out a notice to people about our presence at the LinuxWorld 2007 trade show in San Francisco this August. I'll be there on all three days of the show, along with many of the other Foleo team members. Here's the text from the email that Palm sent:

See what all the buzz is about at LinuxWorld in San Francisco, Aug. 7-9

Visit us at booth #925 and see the new Palm® Foleo™ mobile companion up close and personal. You can talk with designers, engineers, and marketing team who created the Foleo mobile companion. Plus, you’ll have an opportunity to meet with Palm partners who’ve developed apps for Foleo — from games to security software to personal productivity tools and more. Expo pass registration is free, or save $50 off full conference registration. Click here:

http://linuxworldexpo.com/live/12/TB296182/.

Please enter priority code N0163 when registering.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    *LinuxWorld is open to business professionals only. No one under 18 years of age will be admitted.*
    Hmmm... what classifies as a business professional? How far can I stretch that definition to qualify? I don't really know much about Linux, but I'm in San Francisco, and I would like to take another look at the Foleo (and whatever else may catch my interest). This time with a check list of things to do and ask.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    They should be winding down day one at Linux World. Did anyone go and is there anything to report back on?
    My Treo: I think I'll keep her. All dressed up for prom and her date Foleo stood her up
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    The exhibit hall actually isn't open until tomorrow. I didn't realize this myself until this morning before I was going to leave. I'll be going tomorrow to see what I can see, and try to make it an all day event.

-----------------
    http://kunjan.net
    Thanks for the link. Makes me feel a lot better about the foleo
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Thanks Kunjun...it was nice to see the Foleo in it's retail package....just sitting there waiting. It needs me.
    My Treo: I think I'll keep her. All dressed up for prom and her date Foleo stood her up
    Palm's Press Release about Wind River

http://investor.palm.com/releaseDeta...leaseID=258587

---------

According to that page at the link in my post above, the Foleo will have http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS4087225659.html that processor

"Both chips have on-chip display/TV controllers and IPUs (image processing units) that FreeScale claims can deliver video at 30fps while minimizing CPU involvement. The i.MX31 adds 2D/3D graphics acceleration supporting OpenGL, and a VPU (vector floating point unit). Both chips include an integrated Jazelle Java accelerator."

That means the Foleo should play full screen videos just fine. Xine/Mplayer could be ported to that i presume. Just have to convert a DVD to fit on the SD or Compact Flash / or stream over WiFi.

Bcombee, does the Foleo use X? and what kind is the GUI toolkit?

and

"Palm has not yet committed to a release date for the Foleo, beyond "this summer." However, the Foleo is apparently now shipping to third-party developers who are willing to sign an NDA."

When can Devs like me get that?
    Last edited by kunjan; 08/07/2007 at 11:28 AM.
    -----------------
    someone at the event open the terminal and run "ps -aux | less" (hit space for next page) and get that output!

if that command doesnt work just run "ps -aux" in the terminal...
    -----------------
    The LogMeIn on Foleo is 100% running inside Opera, and is running as a Java Plugin. I am pretty sure of that. That means we will get a good port of Java on the Foleo.

Opera on Linux does support NS4 style plugins. That means Flash should work too. But it wont, because Adobe hasnt had a ARM11 port of Flash. Ah crap. I am pretty sure there is no port of Flash for that arch.
    -----------------
    Posted this up on the front page. notice the update: there's a photo at that linuxdevices with the Foleo retail packaging. They're giving them away to developers.

http://www.linuxdevices.com/files/mi..._river_sdk.jpg
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kunjan View Post
    Palm's Press Release about Wind River

http://investor.palm.com/releaseDeta...leaseID=258587

---------

According to that page at the link in my post above, the Foleo will have http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS4087225659.html that processor

"Both chips have on-chip display/TV controllers and IPUs (image processing units) that FreeScale claims can deliver video at 30fps while minimizing CPU involvement. The i.MX31 adds 2D/3D graphics acceleration supporting OpenGL, and a VPU (vector floating point unit). Both chips include an integrated Jazelle Java accelerator."

That means the Foleo should play full screen videos just fine. Xine/Mplayer could be ported to that i presume. Just have to convert a DVD to fit on the SD or Compact Flash / or stream over WiFi.

Bcombee, does the Foleo use X? and what kind is the GUI toolkit?

and

"Palm has not yet committed to a release date for the Foleo, beyond "this summer." However, the Foleo is apparently now shipping to third-party developers who are willing to sign an NDA."

When can Devs like me get that?
    Help me out here. I don't see how you concluded that the chip will be what is in your second link. Can you explain how you arrived at that conclusion?

I should think developers will be able to get a loaner device after it's gone GA. Along the lines of the program where you can get a loaner Treo for development purposes.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    my guess was right. I predicted the first killa app on the foleo would be something like LogMe In.Read here.
    While at this point i have no use for the foleo, I "Strongly" believe in the vision. Now if Palm can just get the marketing right
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I should have asked this earlier... but is there anything specific people want me to try to find or test out? I'll be here probably all three days, so I'll do what I can.

Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    I should have asked this earlier... but is there anything specific people want me to try to find or test out? I'll be here probably all three days, so I'll do what I can.
    See kunjan's earlier post (#9) for one thing that "we" want.

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tj8212 View Post
    my guess was right. I predicted the first killa app on the foleo would be something like LogMe In.Read here.
    While at this point i have no use for the foleo, I "Strongly" believe in the vision. Now if Palm can just get the marketing right
    Surely there is something that you can create that will bring your terrific graphics to the Foleo.

Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Remote desktop HAD to be available on the Foleo. This is just the first official form that we've heard announced. Other web-based alternatives will probably follow (GoToMyPC). However, VNC and Terminal Services also will be required by IT folks. It's just a matter of time before we see them for the Foleo too. If mobile execs really take to this platform then Citrix (maker of the GoToMy... series of Web Apps/Services) will certainly ensure that their enterprise Presentation Server clients will be ported as well.
    Hmmmn, a good Java VM would provide an immediate way to get all of this.
    Last edited by 1PTUser; 08/07/2007 at 05:12 PM.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Glad you made it Gerorne. Can you try to get word on implementation of a full JAVA VM. Also, I've read that WindRiver will be(future tense) porting Foleo stuff over. What exactly are they having to port? Also, Wind River stated that Palm will be using their platform for "future Palm® Foleo™ software releases". I wonder if Ben or the other developers will share what they used to develop the existing Foleo apps.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
    I am wondering what linux utils are available in the terminal window. You can see if they are present on the system by typing "which" For example:

% which ssh
    % which ftp
    % which tar
    % which gzip
    % which perl
    % which gcc
    % which vi
    % which emacs

rlogin, kill, diff, telnet, lp, lpr ??

Obviously some of these will not be there, but it will be interesting to know what is.

Also, cd to /usr Is there a directory there called something like "X11R6"?
    Or did somebody already look for that? You might try "which xeyes"
    OK one more.
    ls -l /usr/bin | wc -l
    will tell us how many programs are in the /usr/bin directory.
    On my redhat distribution, this returns 2180
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast