Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I mentioned that date at the Sneak Peek and was poopoo'd as they stated, "the end of summer is August". I corrected then and told them that technically the last day is Sept 21st. The original rumors were a release of August 22nd. I said then, if we see it before Sept I'd be shocked.
    Thanks for backing me up.
    My Treo: I think I'll keep her. All dressed up for prom and her date Foleo stood her up
    Quote Originally Posted by bcombee View Post
    The 2.4.21 kernel does have good USB support, but the drivers are a bit older than the mainline 2.6 versions and hadn't been tested as much with the ARM-based hardware in our system.

Last year, I tried out a few USB audio devices with our 2.4 kernel and hardware, but I wasn't able to get good audio data from the devices -- I could get something that was scratchy, maybe wrong byte order or wrong amplification. They were recognized at the kernel level.

Since we had other tasks to work on, I postponed looking at this again until the 2.6 kernel update, as that moves the core source driver from OSS to ALSA and gives a cleaner interface for audio input.
    Definitely do it for 2.6. I wouldn't care much about 2.4 Waste of effort for working on it for 2.4.

Thanks!
    -----------------
    http://kunjan.net
    A Bluetooth headset profile is a better solution for Skype anyway. More people have Bluetooth headsets than USB headsets. If there is going to development to support audio input, I would hope it was via Bluetooth.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Ben or anybody out there have any idea how many bluetooth devices can be concurrently used by the Foleo? (ie. bluetooth mouse, headset/heaadphones and a Treo for DUN or serial data transfers.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Don't forget thumb drives. They also had a very nice looking Palm labeled USB hub with SD card reader on display, and I heard them mention keyboards and harddrives while I was there.

I'm sure more peripherals work, but that's what I know for certain.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
  6.    #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PTUser View Post
    Ben or anybody out there have any idea how many bluetooth devices can be concurrently used by the Foleo? (ie. bluetooth mouse, headset/heaadphones and a Treo for DUN or serial data transfers.
    Right now, the Bluetooth stack on the Foleo is only capable of pairing with a single device, your paired smartphone. No other BT support is enabled in the software.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Oh oops... I misread that other post. I was talking USB obviously.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Right now, the Bluetooth stack on the Foleo is only capable of pairing with a single device, your paired smartphone. No other BT support is enabled in the software.
    Thanks for the reply Ben. I hope that future updates will include support for multiple devices. As a fan of the Foleo concept, the current limitation is rather dissappointing.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    About the devices it supports:

From the Developer guide:

The Mailsync library is supported on the following devices:
    ■ Treo 750 smartphone (Verizon ROM) on Windows Mobile
    ■ Treo 755p smartphone on Palm OS
    NOTE: At this time, the Foleo Mailsync library has not been tested with Windows
    Mobile 6.0. Support for devices running Windows Mobile 6.0 will be supplied in a
    future update.
    Will it work with a 700P?????
    Tina T
    MCP, MCSE, MCDBA, VCP

Sharp Zaurus > Cassiopeia A-20 > Casio E-115 > Psion 3 > Phillips VELO 1 > Palm V > Treo 90 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo 4G > Samsung Epic 4G > HTC EVO 4G Shift & a rooted Nook Color!! (But still have nothing but love and hope for Palm)
    Quote Originally Posted by techiechick View Post
    Will it work with a 700P?????
    That list was an old one and was not complete.

It seems safe to assume that the 700p, 700w/wx, 750w and 755p will work upon release and possibly other devices as well. But nothing is confirmed.

Until the Foleo gets released though, no specs that are out there now are final, especially since it looks like Palm is either fixing some issues or more likely beefing up the software.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Er, uhm, ew, eh...

No HID profile or OBEX. Dang. Here I was hoping that if I needed a mouse that my BT one would be nice and ripe. No file transfer yet seems a bit interesting considering the DTG addition. Am I to assume that doc support will come thru the (done often but cludgy) use of emailing oneself?

If this is the case, seems like a weird misstep considering the companion aspect of this device.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    Er, uhm, ew, eh...

No HID profile or OBEX. Dang. Here I was hoping that if I needed a mouse that my BT one would be nice and ripe. No file transfer yet seems a bit interesting considering the DTG addition. Am I to assume that doc support will come thru the (done often but cludgy) use of emailing oneself?

If this is the case, seems like a weird misstep considering the companion aspect of this device.
    I agree there should have been a way to "look" at the phone and the SD card in the phone via bluetooth and transfer files directly. Not hard to implement.
    -----------------
    http://kunjan.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    Er, uhm, ew, eh...

I wonder if the Treo shows up as a drive/mass storage device when connected to the Foleo via USB cable. If so, a decent file manager might permit files to be copied between the devices.

Unfortunately, the fact that we're even talking about coming up with workarounds to the glaring lack of Bluetooth profiles on the Foleo underscores how rushed the software is. Makes me wonder what exactly Palm has been doing with its Foleo development time over the past 3 years. Maybe the Wind River Linux update will fix many of these deficiencies. It would be nice if Palm would take back all its Foleos, reflash them and include all of the missing software that has been mentioned elsewhere. If Palm fails to fix most of the Foleo deficiencies BEFORE it's released, I expect sales are going to be rather egregious.
    Quote Originally Posted by wlmoore View Post
    Speaking of LogMeIn, I learned they have a preview version for Mac now, meaning you can remotely control your Mac: https://secure.logmein.com/labs.asp
    Now if they get that finished and ported to the Foleo, my MacBook may never need to leave my desk again. Sweet!

Good news about scp, BTW - we use it all the time at work to transfer files onto our web servers. If the Foleo can see the Macs on my home network (or vice versa), it should be easy to transfer files wirelessly...
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfox1477 View Post
    Now if they get that finished and ported to the Foleo, my MacBook may never need to leave my desk again. Sweet!

Good news about scp, BTW - we use it all the time at work to transfer files onto our web servers. If the Foleo can see the Macs on my home network (or vice versa), it should be easy to transfer files wirelessly...
    No need to port it to the Foleo. This Logmein Mac app installs on Macs so they can be controlled by another machine; including another Mac, a Windows PC, and Foleo.

TKOS
    Last edited by TheKingOfSting; 08/22/2007 at 01:09 PM.
    Ah, OK - having previously only seen that it was a Windoze app, I hadn't looked into how it works. So, I install LogMeIn on the Mac, and then I use the LogMeIn Java app on the Foleo to connect to the Mac?
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Chupacabra View Post
    I wonder if the Treo shows up as a drive/mass storage device when connected to the Foleo via USB cable. If so, a decent file manager might permit files to be copied between the devices.

Unfortunately, the fact that we're even talking about coming up with workarounds to the glaring lack of Bluetooth profiles on the Foleo underscores how rushed the software is. Makes me wonder what exactly Palm has been doing with its Foleo development time over the past 3 years. Maybe the Wind River Linux update will fix many of these deficiencies. It would be nice if Palm would take back all its Foleos, reflash them and include all of the missing software that has been mentioned elsewhere. If Palm fails to fix most of the Foleo deficiencies BEFORE it's released, I expect sales are going to be rather egregious.
    Chupa, sorry the color bugs me when quoted.

Yea, a file manager would be great. Heck, Palm had a solid setup with the T5/LD with Palm Files and the instant mounting of the device's SD card. The same thing on the Foleo would be solid for most, and an aspect of user experience that we should expect to see from Palm.

I would guess that Foleo's updates would be reflashable, but that there would be a good bit of a performance hit as it would probably be and update that would work best on Foleo(next).

I assume that probably the reason for the late summer release is to fix many of the issues found during the sneak peeks and testing. It would be good to have a relatively solid release in this case from Palm. Even with the lukewarm press response of the Foleo, a solid and uneventful release would go a long way to helping Palm's image.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfox1477 View Post
    Ah, OK - having previously only seen that it was a Windoze app, I hadn't looked into how it works. So, I install LogMeIn on the Mac, and then I use the LogMeIn Java app on the Foleo to connect to the Mac?

Yup. That's all there is to it.

TKOS.
    Thanks!

(Dances around the room at the prospect of Scrivener on the Foleo )
    Not to turn this thread into a LogMeIn thread, but I thought LogMeIn would only allow access to files, and not allow you to run programs, like Scrivener(which I also love), like what a remote desktop connection would allow you to do. I guess I can also research LogMeIn.
    3x5cards, 2cans, string->Pilot->Palm V-> Palm Vx-> Sony SJ30(a weak moment on ebay)->TungstenT-> Treo600-> Treo650-> Treo700p-> Treo755p
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast