Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 101
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post

    All the websites I tend to normally check out besides the ones like youtube all worked fine.
    What happened with YouTube? Did it just not play at all or did it try to play and come out all choppy like Jeff Hawkins insinuated?
  2. h-wolf's Avatar
    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcombee View Post
    There's video of me talking about the device and giving a version of my standard pitch at LinuxWorld up on VUnet. You can see it at http://www.vnunet.com/tv/?channel=vn...86_vnunet_0100.
    Very nice interview Brian - good, quick overview.
  3. TxDot's Avatar
    Posts
    892 Posts
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcombee View Post
    There's video of me talking about the device and giving a version of my standard pitch at LinuxWorld up on VUnet. You can see it at http://www.vnunet.com/tv/?channel=vn...86_vnunet_0100.

    BTW, I'm feeling a lot better now. Looks like the cold is mostly out of my system.
    Now that you're a "TV star" please don't go all Lindsay Lohan on us.

    Glad to hear you're feeling better.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

    Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcombee View Post
    The device GUI is is not based on X11; it's a Palm-created GUI that uses the open-source DirectFB system. We did this to make the device as fast as possible with the current hardware. There is also a 2700G "Marathon" graphics accelerator on the device that's used by the DirectFB libraries to speed up drawing the GUI.
    Hmm. Is the plan to allow application developers to port using XDirectFB. How well does this work? Or is the plan to require DirectFB ports from existing X11 applications?
  5.    #65  
    We're not shipping XDirectFB on the device. Even if was there, most X applications would still need modifications even if XDFB was there, as they wouldn't match the user interface or the application lifecycle specifications for the device.
  6. #66  
    Will you be able to talk on your phone while you are using it for the internet on the Foleo? As I write this I am thinking the answer is depends on your phone. Is this correct? I know some 3G phones are able to do voice and data simultaneously, but with my 700p if I am using it as a modem it cannot make calls. I ended up getting a wireless card instead of tethering so I could talk while being online. Any input would be great, thanks
  7. #67  
    I got a chance to play with the Foleo at LinuxWorld as well.

    I was excited even before lifting the lid. Mostly because the surface has a very nice feel to it (I am all about looks as well as functionality).

    My overall impressions with the device are good. I can't wait for it to be released!
    Did you know:

    webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by guinnessdraught View Post
    What happened with YouTube? Did it just not play at all or did it try to play and come out all choppy like Jeff Hawkins insinuated?
    It doesn't play, period. When you come across a YouTube keyframe, the Foleo overlays the caption, "Flash Video Not Supported."
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcombee View Post
    We're not shipping XDirectFB on the device. Even if was there, most X applications would still need modifications even if XDFB was there, as they wouldn't match the user interface or the application lifecycle specifications for the device.
    Great video and thanks for sharing the link. Now, can you tell me when "later this summer" is???? I have yet to find that on my calendar *snicker*
    The agony...........
    My Treo: I think I'll keep her. All dressed up for prom and her date Foleo stood her up
  10. Gerorne's Avatar
    Posts
    506 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #70  
    One thing I just realized... While there isn't a lot of third party software out right now, I'm expecting that to change. It would be nice if I could create folders for the Apps. I'd like to put all the Games into one folder for instance, so they're not intertwined with all the productive software. I didn't think to see if that feature was available
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

    Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
  11. #71  
    The menus are apparently just alphabetical -- Docs To Go, Email, File Manager, etc -- and there doesn't seem to be a way to edit the menus, which are flat rather than cascading (e.g. the DTG apps aren't in submenus). You can assign shortcut keys, though, which is practice are faster to use than the trackpoint. What happens after all of the keyboard's characters are used up, though, will be interesting to find out.
  12. #72  
    I have a MacBook. Work will be giving me an HP that is as light as this, with a 12" screen.

    Why would I possibly want a Foleo? If my companies architecture were purely Linux and I didn't have to deal with Windows at all... This might be an option.

    But then again, so would a MacBook. I just don't get where Palm is going with this. There is no revolutionary design or interaction changes. It's semi-modern hardware with an outdated design. Nothing new is brought to the table.
  13. TxDot's Avatar
    Posts
    892 Posts
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by sgonyea View Post
    I have a MacBook. Work will be giving me an HP that is as light as this, with a 12" screen.

    Why would I possibly want a Foleo? If my companies architecture were purely Linux and I didn't have to deal with Windows at all... This might be an option.

    But then again, so would a MacBook. I just don't get where Palm is going with this. There is no revolutionary design or interaction changes. It's semi-modern hardware with an outdated design. Nothing new is brought to the table.
    Fortunately for you it sounds like you won't have to deal with one.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

    Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
  14. #74  
    There is one more thing that I don't get. I keep reading that LogMeIn is a Java app that works in the browser and they really didn't have to port anything. But in one of the screenshots from the show, we see LogMeIn as an application in the main menu. If it was purely a browser app, wouldn't you access it by opening opera and selecting the right link?
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by guinnessdraught View Post
    There is one more thing that I don't get. I keep reading that LogMeIn is a Java app that works in the browser and they really didn't have to port anything. But in one of the screenshots from the show, we see LogMeIn as an application in the main menu. If it was purely a browser app, wouldn't you access it by opening opera and selecting the right link?


    Or the LogMeIn in the application menu is a hyperlink to www.logmein.com, that opens up opera with the right page??
    -----------------
    http://kunjan.net
  16. wlmoore's Avatar
    Posts
    127 Posts
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by guinnessdraught View Post
    There is one more thing that I don't get. I keep reading that LogMeIn is a Java app that works in the browser and they really didn't have to port anything. But in one of the screenshots from the show, we see LogMeIn as an application in the main menu. If it was purely a browser app, wouldn't you access it by opening opera and selecting the right link?
    I saw the demo at LinuxWorld. I'm pretty sure it's not Java or Javascript, it's a natively compiled binary browser plug-in. (I asked that question and the answer was a bit nebulous.) It definitely runs in the browser, not as a standalone app. I don't remember noticing it in the Apps menu. If it's there, Kunjan's theory seems plausible.

    Speaking of LogMeIn, I learned they have a preview version for Mac now, meaning you can remotely control your Mac: https://secure.logmein.com/labs.asp
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by guinnessdraught View Post
    The latter would make a Skype port pretty easy, you'd just need to be a special headset.
    Don't forget Plantronix makes USB headsets.
    HP200LX -> Palm Pilot -> Palm III -> Sony PEG-300 -> Sony PEG-N710C -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p -> (iPhone or Treo 800L or something unexpected)??
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr View Post
    Don't forget Plantronix makes USB headsets.
    There was some post from Ben about 2.4 kernel and usb audio devices not working right.


    2.4 kernel didnt have proper usb support. I am sure palm will release the config file for kernel compiling, and the Foleo Dev documentation has a little how to on how to flash the device. porting usb audio support to 2.4 kernel on ARM should be not hard but not easy either.

    I will definately look into that, if i decide to get the Foleo.
    -----------------
    http://kunjan.net
  19.    #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by kunjan View Post
    2.4 kernel didn't have proper USB support. I am sure palm will release the config file for kernel compiling, and the Foleo Dev documentation has a little how to on how to flash the device. porting usb audio support to 2.4 kernel on ARM should be not hard but not easy either.
    The 2.4.21 kernel does have good USB support, but the drivers are a bit older than the mainline 2.6 versions and hadn't been tested as much with the ARM-based hardware in our system.

    Last year, I tried out a few USB audio devices with our 2.4 kernel and hardware, but I wasn't able to get good audio data from the devices -- I could get something that was scratchy, maybe wrong byte order or wrong amplification. They were recognized at the kernel level.

    Since we had other tasks to work on, I postponed looking at this again until the 2.6 kernel update, as that moves the core source driver from OSS to ALSA and gives a cleaner interface for audio input.
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by fairoasis View Post
    Great video and thanks for sharing the link. Now, can you tell me when "later this summer" is???? I have yet to find that on my calendar *snicker*
    The agony...........
    Looks like they gave themself until the 21st of September:
    http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/astr...alEquinox.html
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins


    Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions