Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PTUser View Post
    Gerorne or Ben, given the Foleo video chip set, will it support the use of an external monitor for expanding the desktop? This may not be totally applicable if everything runs "full screen" rather than windowed.
    One could potentially run their remote computer on one screen and use a local app on the other. I've gotten so use to using two screens over these last several years. It's not a requirement but would be nice to have.
    You are thinking laptop again. I think it would be hard, because there is not "windows" to move between the two monitors.
  2.    #42  
    The headset jack is 3.5mm, stereo output only. Any audio input is going to have to come through the USB port, and that isn't supported very well with the current 2.4.21 kernel.
    About the devices it supports:

From the Developer guide:

The Mailsync library is supported on the following devices:
    ■ Treo 750 smartphone (Verizon ROM) on Windows Mobile
    ■ Treo 755p smartphone on Palm OS
    NOTE: At this time, the Foleo Mailsync library has not been tested with Windows
    Mobile 6.0. Support for devices running Windows Mobile 6.0 will be supplied in a
    future update.
    Other interesting info:
    Unlike a desktop system, the Foleo mobile companion has a limited number of
    Bluetooth ports that can be in use at any one time.
    ■ Use ports 0 and 1 to establish a serial connection with the mobile companion to
    transfer data over Bluetooth.
    ■ Port 2 is currently reserved to DUN use and should not be used.
    ■ Ports 4 and 5 are currently reserved for the Mailsync library and should not be
    used.

The Foleo mobile companion supports Wi-Fi networking according to the 802.11b
    standard. Wi-Fi support is built into the system, but is not specifically exposed in a
    custom API. Wi-Fi network access should be done via standard calls to the ethernet
    driver.
    Infrastructure and ad-hoc networking configurations are supported. Open, WEP,
    WPA, and 802.1X Enterprise security configurations are available to the end user.
    WPA2 is not.

Compact Flash card
    In order to upgrade the size default user storage area, you can integrate a Compact
    Flash card into the system. The Foleo mobile companion supports Compact Flash
    cards up to 4.0GB in size.

The USB port on the Foleo mobile companion supports the standard mass storage
    profile. Any flash drive or standard hard drive that conforms to the mass storage
    profile will be automatically mounted upon connection to the mobile companion.

The YAFFS2 file system is the Foleo mobile companion’s native file system. It can also
    support removed drives that are formatted as FAT16 or FAT32.
    And obviously, I didn't sign an NDA or anything like that, but am just getting this information from the material now posted on the Palm Developer Network page. Other people might be able to find other interesting things, but I just looked through quickly. Also thought it was interesting that the official developer environment is apparently to be used on top of Ubuntu linux.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 08/09/2007 at 12:27 AM.
  4.    #44  
    Just a quick note -- the developer guide on PDN is a beta version, so don't consider the information there final. We're still revising things; for example, some of the guidelines about debugging code on the device need to be updates, and the supported phone list isn't final.
    750 can't have a Verizon ROM. Maybe they meant both the 700w/wx AND the 750?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Could bcombee or gerorne or someone else there comment on how software/firmware upgrades and upgradability will be handled? Will such be brought in through the browser and then launched and do their thing, or...?

It looks like, upon first sales, the Foleo will be more than a bit of a work in progress, so this will be a pivotal issue.
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by dell View Post
    Could bcombee or gerorne or someone else there comment on how software/firmware upgrades and upgradability will be handled? Will such be brought in through the browser and then launched and do their thing, or...?

It looks like, upon first sales, the Foleo will be more than a bit of a work in progress, so this will be a pivotal issue.
    We already have a software update system built into the device. Updates will be downloadable packages from the Palm website; you'll download the update, run it from the browser or file manager, and it will process all the changes through a couple of device reboots.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcombee View Post
    Just a quick note -- the developer guide on PDN is a beta version, so don't consider the information there final. We're still revising things; for example, some of the guidelines about debugging code on the device need to be updates, and the supported phone list isn't final.
    I hope when Foleo released, It already support Sony Ericsson/Nokia/Samsung/LG or other brand standard Phone. Not just Palm Treo. So Standard Phone users can use Foleo to connect with phone for wireless modem.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    I hope when Foleo released, It already support Sony Ericsson/Nokia/Samsung/LG or other brand standard Phone. Not just Palm Treo. So Standard Phone users can use Foleo to connect with phone for wireless modem.
    You and a whole bunch of other people!!!
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    I was thinking... you know the Software and Sprint Downloads, etc type programs that Palm is forced to include on the Treos by the carriers? It might be nice to see a Palm-hosted software repository for all the Foleo-specific software, to kind of get the issue of installing apps in Linux out of the way for those who don't know Linux well. It'd be nice to have all of them in one place, and then for the stuff that isn't free, then you could just enter the serial number into the program. I don't know, just seems like it'd simplify things, with all the software, and from reading the developer info, I'm not entirely sure if they did anything to make installing apps easier for Linux.
    I know this is a bit off topic, but can anyone who's worked with a Foleo thus far explain how the file system works? If I intend to use a Foleo to edit word/excel/powerpoint documents stored on my Treo, does the Foleo wirelessly access my Treo's file manager? Is it necessary to manually transfer the files I want to work on to the Foleo (or perhaps just plug my Treo's SD card into the Foleo)?
    Compact Flash card
    In order to upgrade the size default user storage area, you can integrate a Compact Flash card into the system. The Foleo mobile companion supports Compact Flash cards up to 4.0GB in size.
    Anyone know why there's a 4 GB limit on CompactFlash cards?
    Editor-in-Chief
    www.Brighthand.com
    News, Views, and "Hands-On" Reviews of Mobile Devices of All Types
    I'd bet its the file system it uses in order to recognize it as an internal 'harddrive.' It supports FAT16 and FAT32 in SD, and USB drives, but it sounds like it uses its own file system on CF drives.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    wlmoore, I beat your ShortCircuit score. =P

And the CF limit is just what they've officially fully tested at the moment.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    wlmoore, I beat your ShortCircuit score. =P
    LOL! Well at least I enjoyed a brief moment of glory.

I was totally going to use this photo to humiliate you publicly, but I guess it backfired.

Sorry I missed you.
    Last edited by wlmoore; 08/09/2007 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Snipped quote
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Today I did a lot of webbrowsing mostly. And played the TealPoint game ShortCircuit obviously.

The gmail chat was working. It was a little sluggish, but I found out because my friend actually messaged me while I was just checking my email. The window popped up, and you can even make it pop out into it's own separate window, instant messanger sized, and the regular gmail part of it just fades darker in the background. Similar to how when the battery warning will pop up.

I wasn't disconnected when I switched back and forth between Opera and Word I don't think. There aren't any tabs to chat and surf at the same time, but at least I could do that much.

I went to magicthegathering.com (it's a trading/collectible card game) and I tried clicking on a link to a card, and it also pops up in a smaller window just fine.

All the websites I tend to normally check out besides the ones like youtube all worked fine.

Edit:

Oh yeah!! When asked about release dates... most Palm reps were saying "End of Summer" rather than "Later this Summer." So the August 22nd release date may no longer be.
    Last edited by Gerorne; 08/10/2007 at 01:04 AM.

I was there today too. Overall I like it and I think I will get one.

The guy doesn't want me to go into the terminal to type linux commands so that was too bad.

I like the instant-on. However, Foleo crashed with a pop up message when I try to open the web browser. So I tried reset the Foleo. It took two minutes to boot up. I guess this is kinda like my Treo 700P... it is instant on but reset takes a while to boot up.

The overall design looks like an old casio Organizer. I do like how I can open the screen with one hand and the base stay put.

It is a very Linux device. I am sure there will be tons of apps available for Foleo in the near future.
  18.    #58  
    There's video of me talking about the device and giving a version of my standard pitch at LinuxWorld up on VUnet. You can see it at http://www.vnunet.com/tv/?channel=vn...86_vnunet_0100.

BTW, I'm feeling a lot better now. Looks like the cold is mostly out of my system.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wlmoore View Post
    LOL! Well at least I enjoyed a brief moment of glory.

I was totally going to use this photo to humiliate you publicly, but I guess it backfired.

Sorry I missed you.
    I should have taken a picture! D'oh!

And I was either eating lunch, or attempting to win an iphone at the rpath session. They were playing poker and I got out rivered! My three kings lost to the straight... and I lost my chance at owning an iphone. I wasn't going to activate it, but I was going to use it for wifi and as a video ipod. And perhaps selling it after getting bored with it. *cough* and after the Foleo becomes "YouTube enabled" *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by bcombee View Post
    There's video of me talking about the device and giving a version of my standard pitch at LinuxWorld up on VUnet. You can see it at http://www.vnunet.com/tv/?channel=vn...86_vnunet_0100.

BTW, I'm feeling a lot better now. Looks like the cold is mostly out of my system.
    Nice to hear you're doin better i hope the Linux crowd liked the Foleo
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast