Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Anybody been to the Pocket Tunes booth? Does it do syncing of songs?
    also do a "cat /proc/cpuinfo" and a "cat /proc/meminfo"
    -----------------
    http://kunjan.net
  3.    #23  
    One day done, two more to go... and I'm a little sick, so I'm not having as much fun as I'd like.

We started talking about device specifications at the show today, and they confirm what's already been posted. It's a Intel/Marvell PXA27x processor (ARM instruction set) running at 416MHz. There's 128MB of RAM and 256MB of NAND flash non-volatile memory, with about half of it used by the OS and bundled applications, the rest available for user data storage.

To answer guinnessdraught's questions: ftpget and ftpput commands are there, but not the full ftp client. ssh, scp, tar, gzip, vi, and kill are there, although vi is a busybox version so it's fairly limited. The full version of the nano editor is also on device.

There are no perl, emacs, gcc, telnet, lp, or lpr commands. A developer could port some of those over, although for things like gcc, you'd probably need to add additional storage space by installing a CF card.

The device GUI is is not based on X11; it's a Palm-created GUI that uses the open-source DirectFB system. We did this to make the device as fast as possible with the current hardware. There is also a 2700G "Marathon" graphics accelerator on the device that's used by the DirectFB libraries to speed up drawing the GUI.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcombee View Post
    There is also a 2700G "Marathon" graphics accelerator on the device that's used by the DirectFB libraries to speed up drawing the GUI.
    Not that you can confirm or deny that anything is in development I'm sure, but hypothetically if someone was to develop a videoplayer app, I assume it'd be able to use this graphics chip to make the video run smoothly at fullscreen sizes?
  5.    #25  
    Yes, it's likely that a developer could make a video player that ran full screen outside of the web browser. Running in the web browser is a bit more difficult because of the multiple layers of data copying and conversion needed to get the decoded video onto the screen, but we're working on the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by kunjan View Post
    Palm's Press Release about Wind River

"Palm has not yet committed to a release date for the Foleo, beyond "this summer." However, the Foleo is apparently now shipping to third-party developers who are willing to sign an NDA."

If thats true i wonder if they really will be releasing the product to market august 22nd (a wednesday?)
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Sorry about posting so late. I got caught up with the rest of the event, and actually didn't go back to the Palm booth after that.

PocketTunes does have internet radio (someone asked that somewhere), but it doesn't look like it will sync with your treo.

Palm is also having a drawing to give away a Foleo (or Foleos?). I'm not sure if they take it home with them, or are going to get it mailed. I need to confirm. If they get it right there, then August seems likely still. If not, then that keeps it open for a later date.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    We did this to make the device as fast as possible with the current hardware. There is also a 2700G "Marathon" graphics accelerator on the device that's used by the DirectFB libraries to speed up drawing the GUI.
    This is really a good news... so Foleo have graphic accelerator!!
    Yes, it's likely that a developer could make a video player that ran full screen outside of the web browser. Running in the web browser is a bit more difficult because of the multiple layers of data copying and conversion needed to get the decoded video onto the screen, but we're working on the problem.
    Best news of the event! Thanks Ben!
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    One day done, two more to go... and I'm a little sick, so I'm not having as much fun as I'd like.

We started talking about device specifications at the show today, and they confirm what's already been posted. It's a Intel/Marvell PXA27x processor (ARM instruction set) running at 416MHz. There's 128MB of RAM and 256MB of NAND flash non-volatile memory, with about half of it used by the OS and bundled applications, the rest available for user data storage.

To answer guinnessdraught's questions: ftpget and ftpput commands are there, but not the full ftp client. ssh, scp, tar, gzip, vi, and kill are there, although vi is a busybox version so it's fairly limited. The full version of the nano editor is also on device.

There are no perl, emacs, gcc, telnet, lp, or lpr commands. A developer could port some of those over, although for things like gcc, you'd probably need to add additional storage space by installing a CF card.

The device GUI is is not based on X11; it's a Palm-created GUI that uses the open-source DirectFB system. We did this to make the device as fast as possible with the current hardware. There is also a 2700G "Marathon" graphics accelerator on the device that's used by the DirectFB libraries to speed up drawing the GUI.
    Thanks for the update Ben. I hope you get to feeling better. It's real bummer to be sick when you're on the road.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I'm back at LinuxWorld, and I forgot to mention yesterday that if you have any questions about specific third party software, the developers from TealPoint, Evernote, PocketTunes are here (along with a fourth that I'll go find out pretty soon, but the Palm booth is quite full right now.)

I'll ask all of them about pricing to see if any of them know at this point.

Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    I'm back at LinuxWorld, and I forgot to mention yesterday that if you have any questions about specific third party software, the developers from TealPoint, Evernote, PocketTunes are here (along with a fourth that I'll go find out pretty soon, but the Palm booth is quite full right now.)

I'll ask all of them about pricing to see if any of them know at this point.
    So are you going to be a developer and sign the NDA and get a Foleo for development purposes?
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Gerorne, can you find out if the Professional version of LogMeIn is fully functional on the Foleo? The file/folder autosync would be a great way to keep your PTunes media, videos and other docs sync'd with your desktop. I mentioned videos as well because somebody is bound to come up with a video player.
    Thanks G. I look forward to reading a detailed report on your observations
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
    There is also a 2700G "Marathon" graphics accelerator on the device that's used by the DirectFB libraries to speed up drawing the GUI.
    According to wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_2700G and foleo's screen resolution, it seems that a 2700G7 is inside the foleo. This is a VERY GOOD news, since 2700G7 is very video-capable for mobile devices.

All the chips have a 75 MHz, 32-bit core shipped in BGA packaging.

Accelerated Dual Display

The 2700G has its own LCD controller and two LCD outputs. This allows for the XScale processor and 2700G's graphics displays to be used at the same time. The 2700G can drive an external display up to 1024x768 (with 32-bit colour) or 1280x1024 (with 16-bit colour).

2D Graphics Acceleration

The accelerator supports clipping, alpha blending and anti-aliasing. It also has a variety of block level transfer (BLT) functions (BitBLT, StretchBLT and CSCBLT). The 2D accelerator is capable of up to an 84 million pixels per second fill rate.

3D Graphics Acceleration

The 2700G has a complete hardware rendering pipeline and is compatible with the OpenGL ES standard. It features texture compression, anisotropic filtering, and per vertex fogging (fog) among other things. The 3D accelerator is capable of processing about 831 000 triangles per second.

Video Acceleration

The 2700G performs Inverse Zig-Zag, Inverse Discrete Cosine Transform, and Motion Compensation to speed up MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 and WMV video decoding. The accelerator can decode MPEG-1, 2 and WMV at 720x480 (DVD Resolution) and MPEG-4 at 640x480, both at over 30 frames per second.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Ok, I got onto a unit, the webbrowser is working much quicker than yesterday, or at the Sneak Peek. Not as fast as my laptop at home, but still at a decent speed, even the very busy ign.com website. Gmail worked fine. I tested out the PDFviewer with an ebook that I bought from amazon.com and the pages change very quickly. The guy told me that the pdfviewer is based off of opensource code, and it very possible to make it even quicker, although at this speed I already don't have a problem with it.

And I just found out the fourth developer that I didn't know the name of is LogMeIn, so I'll go over there and ask them when they're free.

(The key board is quite comfortable now that I've had even more time with it. This will be very nice to write on. My opinion of the pointing stick has lessened somewhat though. I didn't have much experience with one before, but I'm now finding I wish it had a wider surface area, and was a little less stiff. I'm finding I need to adjust my finger more often than I'd like.

Edit: Hahah... I didn't realize that it was Ben Combee sitting right here in front of me for the past 10-15 minutes or so, that's been answering my questions, and a whole bunch of other people.

And it looks like it's actually possible to replace the nub of the pointing stick, if we want.
    Last edited by Gerorne; 08/08/2007 at 02:51 PM.

Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Hope Ben's feeling better. Pass on our best wishes to him G.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    While the demo isn't fully functional yet, the LogMeIn guy said it will be when it launches, including the file manager.

Edit: Oh and the price for TealPoint stuff isn't set yet, but will likely be higher than the Palm versions. PocketTunes will be $25, unless you're an existing user (which I'd guess we all are) and will only be a $15 upgrade. That's a pretty reasonable price, and I'll probably be getting it.
    Last edited by Gerorne; 08/08/2007 at 03:24 PM.

Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    While the demo isn't fully functional yet, the LogMeIn guy said it will be when it launches, including the file manager.
    So when is it launching?
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Gerorne or Ben, given the Foleo video chip set, will it support the use of an external monitor for expanding the desktop? This may not be totally applicable if everything runs "full screen" rather than windowed.
    One could potentially run their remote computer on one screen and use a local app on the other. I've gotten so use to using two screens over these last several years. It's not a requirement but would be nice to have.
    Hey thanks Ben for those answers. ssh is a big one for me. I'd prefer to tunnel with ssh than use a VPN. I owe you a Guinness Draught :-)

I have another question that maybe somebody might ask or you can answer. Is the phone jack two conductor (i.e. stereo output) or three conductor (i.e. stereo output with microphone input). The latter would make a Skype port pretty easy, you'd just need to be a special headset.

I suppose it also might be two conductor that automagically switches from stereo output to mono input and mono output when a microphone impedence is detected. Then again, maybe it is just for music
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast