Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    I though it may be helpful to consolidate the information so many have shared through dialogue and experience about the Folio and put it all in one thread. Not opinions. Just the facts (assuming what has been said is true.) I'll begin with a series of posts titled by topic so a threaded view will let you jump to a desired topic and the responses to it. Each post includes TreoCentral or Brighthand pasted info with no commentary on my part. Questions are underlined before their response. Some items are in bold for affect. Most of the quotes come from BCombee, Foleo developer and a gracious TC participant. Please feel free to add to this, especially you sneak peekers. Another thread entitled What we don't know may be helpful in identifying the gaps that need to be filled for us all. Well here we go....
    Last edited by 1PTUser; 07/25/2007 at 12:46 PM. Reason: changed the title
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    "You can completely turn off both Bluetooth and Wifi using the toolbar buttons at the top of the screen. I was using my device on a place this morning while traveling to California."

"Using a BT internet connection is pretty quick, but not as quick as WiFi. It depends more on the latency of the wireless operator than anything in the BT stack. The connection does look like laptop tethering."

How easy to manage multiple network configurations: WEP on/off, proxies, etc. WiFi supports multiple profiles based on the network SSID, and each has its own security and networking settings. However, at this time there is only one proxy setting in the web browser, so you'll have to adjust it based on your network connection. I've suggested connection-specific proxy settings as a feature for future software updates.

Any news on whether WPA works yet? I'm using WPA-PSK here on my local network with my Foleo devices without problem.

Possible to network directly to a PC via wifi? I can SSH from my Foleo to my PC through WiFi, and I can access my machine's FTP server for downloads through the web browser. We support both infrastructure and ad-hoc connections, but there's no support at the moment for mounting a PC's drive over a network. I expect developers will have solutions for that fairly quickly given the existence of Samba.

At this time, Bluetooth is only supported in serial mode for the sync and DUN connection between the Foleo device and its paired phone. ObEx is not a supported protocol in this release.

The device is actually hidden almost all of the time. It's only visible briefly when you're pairing it with your smartphone through the phone pairing wizard.
    Last edited by 1PTUser; 07/27/2007 at 12:28 AM. Reason: WIFI support for WPA
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    the new Palm® Foleo™ mobile companion will use the Opera web browser to provide customers a user-friendly web experience. Based on Opera 9, Opera for the Palm Foleo offers intelligent navigation features and support for advanced Web 2.0 applications using Ajax (Asynchronous JavaScript and XML). As per Opera

The Web Browser doesn't support tabs at this time. There are some workarounds; I have tried out http://brentalan.com/wiitabs/ with it, for example. We know there's demand for tabs too.
    Because of this, there's only one "Web Browser" application, and at the moment, it only views one web page at time. There's limited support for pop-up windows, but they act like dialogs and must be dismissed before further navigation in the main window.

You can't officially run multiple Web Browser instances, but there is a unsupported hack that can be used to get this going.
    It is possible to hack multiple Web Browser applications into the system by modifying some of the system files to create additional applications: "Web Browser 2", "Web Browser 3", etc. This isn't a supported modification, and I really don't know if it would work reliably because the multiple processes might try to modify shared files like the bookmarks and history database at the same time.

The Web Browser does support zooming in and out, although I think the keyboard shortcuts are different that the desktop version of Opera. The browser actually uses a different font engine that is provided by the Opera core for its rendering, so Freetype settings will not affect it.

You can access the Internet using 802.11b without going through the phone. The phone connection is only needed for email sync and for Bluetooth DUN-based network connections.

Does mailto: URL in browser integrate with mail app? Yes.

I saw some people go to some Flash laden sites that I didn't recognize, and they worked just fine. The Foleo has Flash 7 onboard , not Flash 9, so the Hawkins comment about not handling YT may have more to do with Flash video rather than video per se, so it might be able to handle YouTube Mobile using H.264. Gameboy70
    Last edited by 1PTUser; 07/26/2007 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Web 2.0/AJAX/Flash support added.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    It's just one battery module. Battery life is five hours plus with BT and WiFi on, better with them turned off, but I don't have any official numbers. I've used mine on a three hour plane ride with wireless off and had the battery drop from 90% to 70%, but screen brightness also affects this.

...the power adapter for the Foleo is the same size as my Treo adapter. I usually leave it at home when I take the device with me for the day, and so far, it's not gone dry.

Battery life on standby? Indefinite? It lasts a very long time. We designed it so if we ship it from the factory with a full charge, it should still have enough juice to be setup when you get it from the Palm store. I've left a unit alone for a month and still been able to turn it on and use it. Of course, this all can vary depending on individual battery quality, the amount of use the device has had, and user settings.
    Last edited by 1PTUser; 07/25/2007 at 05:20 PM.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    when you install a supported CF card, it replaces the internal Flash memory for user data and program storage. The CF slot isn't designed to be easily accessible; it's treated like an internal hard drive connector and it's behind the internal battery, so you will need to shut down the device to safely add or remove the card.

Right now, applications always run from internal storage -- Linux doesn't like a executable program disappearing from the system while its running, which is something that could easily happen with a program running on an easily removable SD card or USB drive

The CF slot is for expanding internal storage. True Microdrives work but they don't work very well -- they have a lot of latency in accessing data because of the need to spin up the drive heads. Hold off buying a CF Flash card though until the device is released -- not all cards will work at full speed in the device, and we'll publish a list of supported cards then.

SDHC cards aren't officially supported with this software release. However, we have integrated some Linux kernel patches that should allow it to work, but we've not had a lot of cards around to really shake out any latent problems, so we can't guarantee their operation right now.

8GB Transcend 8GB Class 6 SDHC card works in Foleo - Brandorr

I saw it personally on Thursday night when we tried out the card that one of the Foleo sneak-peekers had with him on one of our devices... it might have been Brandorr, the name tags didn't include TreoCentral usernames

How do you mount SD card? Does it show up in a file manager? You just insert it. Same for USB drives. They show up as additional volumes in File Manager as well as in all the various Open/Save dialogs. To unmount, just remove the card or drive.

How do I transfer a file from Foleo to Treo? SD card? BT? At the moment, SD card and USB thumb drives are the best bet. However, our third party Avvenue has a nice service that lets you get access to files on your PC or Mac over the web. The Bluetooth connection is currently only used to talk to your paired phone.

As for the File Manager... right now, it's using a Copy/Cut/Paste system for copying the moving files. You select the files you want to move, you Edit/Copy or Edit/Cut them, then you go to the destination and do Edit/Paste.
    Last edited by 1PTUser; 07/25/2007 at 12:37 PM.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    The only email clients that we sync with right now are VersaMail 4.0 (Palm OS) and Pocket Outlook (WM) which comes with the Foleo. It does view HTML email.

We know there is demand for direct POP/IMAP/Exchange access over WiFi, but we wanted to get the Sync usage mode completed and fully debugged before working on the other functionality.

Yes, the Foleo mail sync also copies the email addresses from your phone's contacts database to use in auto-completion. At this time, there's no supported method for viewing or altering that information on its own. As for web-email, yes, most of the sites we've tested work fine. I've personally used Outlook Web Access, Yahoo! Mail, and GMail through their web interfaces on the device without problem. Those sites do use a bit of Javascript (which is supported). I've had problems with AOL Mail -- their new interface uses ActiveX (not supported), and their old interface was slow to use because it uses a bit too much Javascript, although it was functional.

GMail does work in the browser fairly well, although sometimes I've found it faster to use the basic HTML version depending on what I'm doing. Javascript speed isn't as good as a fast laptop or desktop machine.
    Last edited by 1PTUser; 07/26/2007 at 09:09 AM.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    I'll put the rest in one post. The info comes from a BCombee and others. My name appears toooo often:

Multitasking: Multitasking on the device is more like WM than Palm OS -- applications in the background still get CPU time if needed, and they can request to the OS that they don't get shutdown if they're doing something important. I've gone and started listening to a MP3 podcast using a website's embedded Flash player and switched to Email and still had the audio continue to run.

Usage: You only need the wireless connection to actively sync email or use the Internet through the phone. You can use the Foleo without the connection to create and edit office documents, to read email that's been synced from your phone, to write replies, to read PDF files, or to use any other applications that you've installed like Astraware Solitaire and Sudoku.

In case anyone's under the impression that you have to have a Treo to use the Foleo, most of what I saw during the evening had nothing to do with the Treo except for DUN and one brief demo of synching with Versamail. Gameboy70

There's a setting in the System Preferences labeled "Stay on while plugged in". If you've got that set, the device should stay in ready mode with the USB port powered while its connected to the wall charger.

For sound level controls, Alt-0 is a sound mute toggle, while Alt+ and Alt- are volume up/volume down. Similarly, Alt+6 and Alt+7 are used to adjust screen brightness, while Alt+8 adjusts the VGA output when you have the dongle connected to account for different projector timing requirements.

An on-screen overlay appears when you use those keys showing the current setting, so when you mute, you'll see the volume slider appear at 0 or at the level it was previously. The overlay also appears with the brightness adjustment.

Yes, the keyboard has symbols on those number keys that show the usage... it's similar to the Fn functions you see on the F-keys on a Dell laptop. There is no embedded numberpad or NumLock.

Can keys be remapped, e.g. Alt or Menu key remapped to Ctrl or Meta? In the Terminal app, Menu is used as Control and Alt is used as Meta. This proves very useful when I'm editing configuration files on the device using nano.

Escape can be sent by using Menu+[, the old school way to send it back before terminals had ESC keys

What's the story for printing a document? PC required? There's no printing support directly from the device at this time.

One application crashing shouldn't affect other applications; there's a small possibility of problems if the app that died was actively using some shared resource on the device, but it general the system is pretty robust against an individual app dying.

Yes, there's a special "hard reset" menu that you can activate during reboot.

During the Sneak Peek event I did manage to get some additional details about the Foleo. The first is that there is a USB port on the Foleo and that there is a USB host driver in the operating system. The USB host driver will allow you to connect things like flash drives, keyboards, and mice to the Foleo."
    "One nice feature that I learned about from attending the event was the “zing.” A quick flick, or “zing,” of the scroll wheel up or down will move the screen up or down a page at a time rather than a line at a time."
    -- Both quotes taken from foleofanatics.com Gerorne

"You can open up the previous program by pressing Alt+Back, to easily switch back and forth between two programs." Gerorne

Security: You have the ability to password protect the device. You can also set up the password protection so its disabled when the paired Treo device is within Bluetooth range (although that's optional).

Security features? Physical lock slot? Password protection? No lock slot. There is optional password protection at turn-on time, and you can set the password to be disabled if your paired smartphone is nearby and within Bluetooth range.

As for encryption of the CF Card: it's something we've thought about, and that along with encryption of the internal flash memory is something we'd like to do in the future.

Re: Bluetooth - The device is actually hidden almost all of the time. It's only visible briefly when you're pairing it with your smartphone through the phone pairing wizard.

Remote Desktop: I just tried out the WebVNC app with my desktop PC and my Foleo. It mostly worked, but it was pretty sluggish and had some update problems in the browser.

As for other remote access solutions: we don't have anything to officially announce yet, but that an area where we are paying close attention. It's been on our wishlist for a long time, but we've been focusing on the core email-attachments-and-web features to get the device released.

Third Party Applications and Developers: See post #18 by Gerorne lower down in this thread. He will be updating is as needed.

Other Techie Stuff: The Foleo uses the Freetype font engine and comes with a set of fonts that are similar to what ships with Windows to make layout in the Docs-to-Go program as close as possible to Microsoft Office. The main system font is a bitmap font that is handed directly by the GUI layer. To tweak the font presentation, you would need to replace the FreeType library with a different build that has different settings turned on.
    UTF-8 is the native character encoding on the system and is used in documents and resources.

While Unicode and UTF-8 are used in the system, for display purposes, you'll still need a font that has the Chinese characters included. The fonts we're including right now only support the Western European character set. I have seen one of our testers load a Korean font on the device and use that for testing the internationalization support, but I've not seen those fonts be used in the Web Browser yet. I'll be interested to see what people find out works when its released.

Ports: 1 USB 2.0 , 1 VGA Out(dongle adapter included), 1 headphone jack

XScale-Bulverde rev 7 processor, CPU speed = 415.33, 128 MB available RAM The_Chupacabra
    Last edited by 1PTUser; 08/01/2007 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Added Ports
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Can anyone tell me what the length, width & height dimensions are?
    Palm IIIx > m505 > Tungsten T > T5 > Red BlackBerry Pearl 8110 (only device work IT will allow!)
    @1PTUser, when you post more facts for the Foleo, could you please post links to the source that you got them from?

Some of this stuff I did not see when I was scanning through the forums and I would like to read the discussion around it.

Thanks.
    Last edited by dkirker; 07/25/2007 at 09:41 PM. Reason: added "more" into the question.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Quote Originally Posted by harps View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the length, width & height dimensions are?
    According to this Wikipedia entry: "268×169×24 mm (10.55×6.65×0.94 in). Weighs 1.133 kg (2.4 lbs)."
    1ptuser-

Thanks for the great summary!
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    @1PTUser, when you post facts for the Foleo, could you please post links to the source that you got them from?

Some of this stuff I did not see when I was scanning through the forums and I would like to read the discussion around it.

Thanks.
    Search is your friend. Didn't he do enough work for you already?
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Dog Doc View Post
    1ptuser-

Thanks for the great summary!
    Oh my, positive feedback! A lot of people here asked a lot of really good questions. What has been posted above is the result. Please feel free to fill in any gaps. Thanks NJ Dog Doc.
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Dog Doc View Post
    Search is your friend. Didn't he do enough work for you already?
    I am just asking, if he does anymore updates to paste the link in as well.

I am not asking for a 100 page commentary. I do appreciate the information though. Thanks 1PTUser.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    I am just asking, if he does anymore updates to paste the link in as well.
    I am not asking for a 100 page commentary. I do appreciate the information though. Thanks 1PTUser.
    Just doing the searches, taking a "quick" copy and paste approach, and organizing the results took way more time than I thought it would. A easy way to find the discussion around the text of course would be to copy any of the text above in to a new search. I purposely limited the number of "outside" sources to make the type research follow-up easier. In the future I'll try to include some links, especially if the source is not on treo central.
    I have not been posting much about the Foleo. I have been on the bench like many I think. I think the concept has strength now lets see the execution.

Anyway very nice thread and it was easy to ready down this and have a much better feeling for what is will and won't do considering it's not released yet.

I guess if they lowered the price that would push many of us over the line.

Regards
    graylion
    Great post, 1PTUser. The foleo is sounding more interesting everyday.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Astraware

Astraware Limited develops, publishes and distributes games and entertainment software for mobile devices running Palm OS, Windows Mobile, and mobile Linux. Since the Treo 600, every Palm Treo has had an Astraware game bundled with it. Astraware has customers in over 100 countries worldwide and mobile gaming enthusiasts have downloaded more than 50 million copies of Astraware’s products.

• Astraware Solitaire
    • Astraware Sudoku

Avvenu

Avvenu, Inc. provides consumers with the ability to remotely access and share personal digital content stored on their computers, Files, photos, and music can easily be accessed and shared using Avvenu’s patented media routing and managed peer-to-peer content access and distribution technology.

Bluefire

The Bluefire Mobile security VPN provides Palm users with an IPsec compliant secure connection for data-in-transit, and is certified with leading two-factor authentication technology. Bluefire’s VPN is compliant with Federal Information Processing Standards 140-2 (FIPS 140-2), and operates seamlessly across Wi-Fi, LAN, and cellular networks with no user intervention required.

Evernote

EverNote Corporation develops software and services to expand human memory. EverNote, the award-winning flagship product is based on the company’s pioneering data retrieval, image recognition and digital ink technologies. The company’s products are used by millions of people every day and included with many popular mobile devices. More information about EverNote Corp. is available at http://www.evernote.com

LogMeIn, Inc.

LogMeIn, Inc (Formerly 3am Labs, Inc.) offers a suite of remote access and support solutions that provide instant, secure connections between remote PCs over the web. Powered by teh LogMeIn Gateway, the service has applications for desktop remote control, data backup, file sharing, remote system administration, and on-demand customer support. LogMeIn offers the industry's fastest, easiest remote access and support solutions - and has been recognized with eight Editors' Choice Awards and "Best of the Year" honors.

MotionApps

MotionApps exists to design innovative, clever and practical applications that extend the usefulness of Treo and other Smartphones, and Palm Foleo. MotionApps focuses on consumer and enterprise applications in Media, Security, Utility and Personal Productivity for Palm, Windows Mobile and Linux platforms.

• mDayscape - PIM application

NormSoft

• PocketTunes - Music player

TealPoint

Winner of five Shareware Industry Awards, TealPoint brings its mobile expertise to the Foleo, with five exciting titles: TealSafe – the secure, encrypted data walled, TealDiet – the health and exercise companion, TealPaint – the full featured drawing app and photo editor, ShortCircuit – the addictive action game, and SudokuAddict – the worldwide puzzle phenomenon.

• TealSafe, an encrypted data program, stores, saves and organizes passwords, credit card numbers, and other personal information in a password-protected, secure and encrypted mobile database.
    • TealPaint, a full-featured drawing program and photo editor, supports a wealth of drawing tools and image-manipulation functions previously available only on a desktop.
    • TealDiet, a personal diet, exercise and health tracker, keeps daily logs of food intake, nutrients, exercise and measurements, and includes personal guides and recommendations for healthier living.
    • SudokuAddict brings Sudoku, the worldwide puzzle phenomenon to the Foleo. With helpful hints and an intuitive interface, SudokuAddict creates a slick experience worthy of the new Foleo mobile companion.
    • ShortCircuit, a new puzzle action game, fuses familiar gameplay elements into an addictive original experience. Players connect falling conduit pieces into explosive loops of energy in a frantic race against the clock.
    Last edited by Gerorne; 08/12/2007 at 06:04 PM.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    My only concern with all the apps being 3rd party is the cost. Will spend $X buying the Foleo but it will virtually come with nothing, Then have to buy MotionApps for PIM, PocketTunes, Astraware for games, etc.... Will be interesting to see what the final price/cost is to get the device up and running as it should out of the box!
    Palm IIIx > m505 > Tungsten T > T5 > Red BlackBerry Pearl 8110 (only device work IT will allow!)
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    Astraware
    The Developers and Software post really helps a lot. Great job G.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast