Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by graylion View Post
    ...I guess if they lowered the price that would push many of us over the line...
    I think you hit the nail on the head. Many people feel exactly the same way. A price point of $299 or even $399 would increase the sales enough to make up for the loss on each individual sale. While it is true that when purchasing a standard laptop you have to buy some software, the basic software is already included. With the Foleo this isn't true or at least there is a difference of opinion concerning what Palm thinks is the basic software and what the market thinks is basic software. A good example is PocketTunes. In Windows XP/Vista the Windows Media Player is included so you don't have to buy anything to play music on your laptop. I think Palm needs to seriously think about how they're going to overcome these objections. Just selling to "executives" isn't going to cut it. There are way more non-executives that would gladly pay a more reasonable price if it was possible. It's also the masses that will drive the developer community to port existing Palm & Linux applications.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    I think Palm may believe there will be a rush of 3rd Party open source software. No one knows yet how easy it will be to port some of the Linux software that already exists. So if we can get open source software for much of what we need the costs will be moot.

I still believe that the Foleo should have more standard software.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    That's a hell of a gamble if you ask me. The rush of 3rd party software only works IF the Foleo is being purchased and at the proposed price point I'm not convinced it will be. At least not in the required quantities. I hope it's successful because I really like the idea of the Foleo and hope it lives up to our expectations.

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Documents To Go allows users to create, view and edit native Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint compatible files on a Palm Foleo mobile companion. In addition to retaining all original file formatting with InTact Technology(TM), Documents To Go works with the built-in Foleo email application to access a wide variety of attachments...

Flash: I saw some people go to some Flash laden sites that I didn't recognize, and they worked just fine. The Foleo has Flash 7 onboard , not Flash 9, so the Hawkins comment about not handling YT may have more to do with Flash video rather than video per se, so it might be able to handle YouTube Mobile using H.264. Gameboy70

PDF Viewer:

Photo Viewer: there's a thumbnail mode with on-screen preview ... as well as slideshow mode with transitions, and a tile mode that combines thumbnails with additional picture information.
    Last edited by 1PTUser; 07/26/2007 at 04:22 PM.
    Thanks, 1PTUser. Quick question: any news on a built-in ethernet port, or whether the USB port will support external ethernet? Important for surfing from hotel rooms without WiFi!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickbaynes View Post
    Thanks, 1PTUser. Quick question: any news on a built-in ethernet port, or whether the USB port will support external ethernet? Important for surfing from hotel rooms without WiFi!
    I travel with a $99 portable base station (Airport Express, from Apple) which creates an instant wi-fi network in any hotel room with an Ethernet cable. In fact, I'm disappointed when a hotel only has Wi-Fi, because it's invariably much more sluggish than my Airport Express with an Ethernet connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PTUser View Post
    Just doing the searches, taking a "quick" copy and paste approach, and organizing the results took way more time than I thought it would. A easy way to find the discussion around the text of course would be to copy any of the text above in to a new search. I purposely limited the number of "outside" sources to make the type research follow-up easier. In the future I'll try to include some links, especially if the source is not on treo central.
    Thanks.

Searching TreoCentral or Brighthand isn't really the problem that I had (I recognize most of Ben's posts), but once the number of resources start increasing then it becomes hard to re-find the info.

Thanks again for the effort.

Edit: I may have some stuff to add to this list.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rickbaynes View Post
    No ethernet port from the pictures I seen on this web site and Palm's web site. The ability to do this from the USB port will likely depend on the manufacturer providing the necessary drivers and the Foleo recognizing the connection.

Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot View Post
    No ethernet port from the pictures I seen on this web site and Palm's web site. The ability to do this from the USB port will likely depend on the manufacturer providing the necessary drivers and the Foleo recognizing the connection.
    You are correct. There is not an RJ45 network connector on the Foleo. The USB port could be used but someone will have to write the drivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PTUser View Post
    ...the power adapter for the Foleo is the same size as my Treo adapter. I usually leave it at home when I take the device with me for the day, and so far, it's not gone dry.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but wanted to see how this comment relates to this picture on PIC: http://www.palminfocenter.com/ss.asp...o-live-8-L.jpg
    This may just be a difference in testing units, but I sure would love it to have the same plug as the treo's

Thanks for any info on this.
    3x5cards, 2cans, string->Pilot->Palm V-> Palm Vx-> Sony SJ30(a weak moment on ebay)->TungstenT-> Treo600-> Treo650-> Treo700p-> Treo755p
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    The adapter is the same size (it isn't a huge brick like most laptops), but the connector is different.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Gotcha, thanks. I did misread that, maybe in hopes that the jungle of power adapters could be thinned.
    Thanks.
    3x5cards, 2cans, string->Pilot->Palm V-> Palm Vx-> Sony SJ30(a weak moment on ebay)->TungstenT-> Treo600-> Treo650-> Treo700p-> Treo755p
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12