Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I'm really interested in the program. But I can't fully grasp what it does from their website. (www.evernote.com) Would anyone like to share their experiences with how useful it is?
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
  2. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    I'm just scanning the site, but it looks like some 3rd party answer to Microsoft OneNote. So it's like a note-taking app I think.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I've never used OneNote either, so it's still very vague to me, but I suppose that does give me an additional something to google and read about.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    I'm really interested in the program. But I can't fully grasp what it does from their website. (www.evernote.com) Would anyone like to share their experiences with how useful it is?
    It was OK (I think I got it free with a Wacom tablet) but I deleted it. Microsoft OneNote 2003 made more sense for my TabletPC.
    Evernote came with my P1510D Tablet. It's ok, kinda like a poor man's OneNote.

OneNote 2007, on the other hand, is AMAZING. If you've ever used a Tablet PC and not used OneNote 2007, you're missing out. Absolutely an incredible app. It's available as trialware from Microsoft if you're interested. One thing to point out also is that it doesn't require a Tablet PC at all. It's just that the "inking" feature available from a Tablet PC is one of those "hand in glove" elements you get with OneNote. I recommend it highly.

But getting back to Evernote... it does a similar job to OneNote, just a little less elegent, a little less integrated. But both of their names describe well their intent.

Evernote seeks to be this long (as long as you want) note that you can keep scrolling and writing, or typing, or clipping to your heart's content.

OneNote tries to be your one stop for everything you want. Want to write, do it in OneNote, want to record audio conversations, do it in OneNote.... clip an article, add a document.... all in OneNote. The other strength is that it organizes things very well. Picture an old Trapper Keeper from when you were a kid, or... if you're not in your 30's like me LOOK IT UP! But seriously, it uses a format like a notebook. It uses books, sections and pages to organize things. Plus, it indexes everything, including your audio. One of the coolest things is recording audio while you're writing. Say you lose pace writing what is being said. The audio is tied to your writing, so if you click on the audio in a particular position of your writing, it will playback what was being said at that point. Even better, if you took audio notes and wanted to search for when someone mentioned "the secret to my success is...." you would simply type in your search and it will tells if those words were *spoken* by applying the voice recognition to the recordings. Simply amazing.

Personally, I was surprised when I saw that Evernote was coming out with something for the Palm Foleo since I've only looked at them in relation to a Tablet PC for the writing element. I'll be curious to see what their offering does.

If you're still interested in Evernote, you can download a trial of the application here.

If you're interested in Microsoft's OneNote, 2007, you can download a trial of the application here.

Hope that helps.
    Wow, the Trapper Keeper. I just had this Proustian rush of PeeChee folders and EraserMate pens.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    People in their mid 20's know about the Trapper Keeper too. I've had just one in my lifetime. I was very excited to own it.

I will definitely be exploring Evernote when I get the Foleo.

Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    Wow, the Trapper Keeper. I just had this Proustian rush of PeeChee folders and EraserMate pens.

Oh this brings back good memories. I loved Trapper Keepers and EraserMate pens. I still have some of those pens. I agree with Gerome, people in their mid 20s know about these things. I'll be 24 in September.
    ~Jessi~

Handspring Visor > Handspring Visor Edge - Silver > Handspring Treo 90 > Palm Tungsten T3 > Palm Treo 680 - Arctic
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    Wow, Pee Chee folders. I actually had to look that one up. But yeah, EraserMate pens. Yeah, that was a big deal back then. We were fascinated that you could erase ink.

They cost a buck a pen or less back then. Now I need a $1,600 tablet PC to do the same thing and pray the battery doesn't run out! HA! Progress...!!!
    Last edited by SteveNYC; 07/30/2007 at 04:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC View Post
    Wow, Pee Chee folders. I actually had to look that one up. But yeah, EraserMate pens. Yeah, that was a big deal back then. We were fascinated that you could erase ink.
    You kids get in bed! *SIGH* I used to buy trapper-keepers, pee chees, and papermates for my kids...20 years ago! OK - time for the old man to go to bed now.
    I've used Evernotes. It was great. Easily searchable and you can build your own organizational system as you go. I used it to write jokes for stand up comedy. Towards the end of my use of the program I felt like it was getting to be this untidy pile of info that I couldn't bear to look at.

Now I just use Google Notebook. It's on a central server, so I can access it from any computer.