Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm not sure if I'm trying too hard to like the Foleo or what, but I've thought of a couple of responses to some of my own criticisms of the Foleo.

1) It's overpriced...

2) ... and under-functioned (let's pretend that's a word).

re #1: When I think of the vcr, a very worthwhile and long-lasting product that made a lasting mark on how we enjoy entertainment products, I realized that it, too, started out at a price that made its purchase and existence laughable to some.

Eventually, that price (and size) came way down and it became odd to NOT own a vcr.

re #2: IF a full-featured version of a brand new product like the Foleo would've cost $750-800 or more, I would've criticized Palm for not slimming down those features (and the cost) and allowing folks to pick and choose which ones were most important to them. That would allow more consumers to dig the product and make its price match (or come closer to matching) their uses for it.

I'm still not completely sold on the device. I think having to pay a mint to share the Treo's internet connection with the device's "mobile companion" is beyond ridiculous. But, if there's a lower-priced remedy down the line, that'd make my ears perk up big-time. Small, instant-on, long battery life, simple. There's serious potential there. It needn't (necessarily) start out fully maximizing that potential.

The Treo certainly didn't. And neither did the vcr.

Your thoughts?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I bet Palm won't lower the price of Foleo. I'm sure they think it is quite shameful if they lower the price because public think it is not as good as a cheaper device such Asus EEE PC.

Even I post suggestion like this, I'm quite sure it is useless. because Palm to ignorant to hear or read people want on the interenet... maybe Palm people don't have internet :lol:

1. If Foleo overprice on Public eyes, then Palm can do bundle it with Treo.
    2. If Foleo under function on Public eyes, then Palm should quickly revised Foleo by loaded more CPU power, graphic chip, bigger RAM or more powerfull software.
    3. If Foleo overprice and under function on Public eyes, then there is a "crazy idea", Palm can lower the price (around USD300) by release current build Foleo as "lite" version, and upcoming Foleo "Pro" (USD600) several months ahead with better hardware and software, all of this to "save" Palm face on Public eyes because set the price too high without knowing there is ASUS EEE PC cost USD250 with 8GB CF. And can buy some more time to mature the Foleo research, but still can fulfil people want of Foleo to be release at August.

Crazy idea.. eh... but that's all I can think right now.

If Palm Foleo can't sync with Sony Ericsson phone which is my favorite because it is very easy to connect with any kind of PDA, I won't buy Foleo, I better buy cheap laptop Acer Aspire 4520 - 300508 that cost only USD680.

I'm one of Foleo fans at first time Jeff announce Foleo on public, but after there are lots of sneak peak reveal lots of foleo weakness, then I now react the other way. I still wait till Foleo release early next month, I want to see if Palm really stupid enough to release current build Foleo with USD600!
    Last edited by The Bard; 07/24/2007 at 01:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm trying too hard to like the Foleo or what, but I've thought of a couple of responses to some of my own criticisms of the Foleo.

1) It's overpriced...

2) ... and under-functioned (let's pretend that's a word).

re #1: When I think of the vcr, a very worthwhile and long-lasting product that made a lasting mark on how we enjoy entertainment products, I realized that it, too, started out at a price that made its purchase and existence laughable to some.
    So what was it we all used to record videos from our television sets before the VCR? Oh yeah, I remember: Nothing. That's right, the VCR was a completely new device loosely based on video tape recorders used only in the television industry (at about $40,000-50,000 a pop). VCRs were, to use an oft overused word, revolutionary.

The Foleo's been done before - repeatedly. There isn't a single feature in the Foleo that hasn't been successfully marketed already in some other device (well, except perhaps the feature of having a laptop-sized device only run Palm-OS-style programs). There are already devices on the street that do what the Foleo does. Foleo uniqueness is only that it seems to be designed to support a microcosm of a potential market - something akin to market suicide. For the Foleo - VCR analogy to work:

- The Foleo would have to have been created nearly entirely from new technology
    - The Foleo would need to be one fortieth the cost of the current industry standard ($40,000 video tape machine to $1,000 VCR)
    - Nearly every household would be a potential market (one or more televisions)

Nope - I don't think VCR is what you want to compare the Foleo to. If you're looking for an analogy, think Delorean.
    Acturally I don't think foleo is overpriced.

We are deploying HP Thin-Client in our company now. Each device costs ~200 dollar, excluding monitor, keyboard and mouse. Foleo is 300$ higher than that. About $100 is for LCD moniter, mouse & keyboard, and another $200 for (1) excellent mobility (2) a few apps (thin clients has almost no apps at all) (3) A clean desktop. No need to connect keyboard, mouse, monitor and LAN cable to main box.

IMHO, Foleo is targetted as thin client in enterprise computing. It IS a new category of devices that connect to both enterprise network (remote desktop) and personal mobile device (treo). It IS dedicated to replace desktop PC or notebook in company where no mobile productivity is required. Now the enterprise computing environment is undergoing a fundamental change: from individual PC to terminal servers, virtual machine servers, grid/blade etc. The foleo is designed to fit in the new environment where a PC/Notebook is unneccessary or over-priced or hard-to-manage.

Foleo really wants big. The vision is enterprise computing infrastructure is changing and there is a need for MOBILE THIN CLIENT.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    The Foleo, IMHO, is a platform full of potential. The fulfillment of its potential, however, may be severely hampered by Palm's limited vision (or resources for that matter.) Palm's stated vision for the device often clouds instead of clarifying how one might use the Foleo. More than any Palm product in recent memory, the success of this one may be dependent on resellers and software developers with open ears to the public and visionary managers in IT using the platform to meet broader needs than Palm has identified. There are both needs and opportunities. The question is: does Palm see them and do they have the resources to go after them.
    A mobile thin client is exactly how I would use this for our sales department. (They should include a Terminal Services client from day one.) However, I think it unlikely that Palm would market this product to match it's potential as a mobile thin clien. HP (or a Wyse) is more likely to go after it.

Finally, UGlee, the changes you mentioned have been going on for some time now. We centralized our applications in Citrix since MetaFrame 1.0 on NT4.0(whenever that was) and have moved most of our server apps to VMWare virtual machines during the last 4 years.

It's Tuesday July 24, 2007. Just considering the weakness in the Foleo's multimedia, I wonder if the dear folks at Palm realize the times we're living in.
    Last edited by 1PTUser; 07/24/2007 at 03:20 PM.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
    Gotta agree with Kupe on this one! The VCR was new technology. Foleo is a watered down laptop. Full featured laptops exist at the same price point of the Foleo. And 3rd party apps are often free. The Foleo should be no more than $400 at release for what it offers compared to what's out there.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    ...but I'm finding the concept growing on me the more I consider it.

I'm still a bit puzzled at all the people comparing this directly to UMPC products (both released and planned). That seems like apples to oranges as the intent and usage appears quite different. Go in expecting and wanting typical laptop functions and naturally you'll be disappointed. As Hawkins and the Palm marketing are emphasizing, the Foleo isn't supposed to be a laptop. This is difficult to get one's head around, especially due to the similarity in basic physical form, but I think I'm starting to see the idea.

I don't think it's so much that it's an entirely new thing, but rather that it brings together several aspects of technology and knowledge of usage patterns in a focused way.

FWIW (and realizing I've not had a chance to see it "in the flesh" yet), here are my thoughts on several of the aspects I find central:

Full size keyboard - I don't think this can be overstated, at least for many users. It's cool to see just how much you can compress the functions of a computer (OQO, etc.) but at some point the gain in portability is seriously hurt by the impact to the human interface. I suppose if you're really good with thumb keyboards and don't mind using them as your primary input device, this isn't a problem. But for me personally (and I'd wager many), if I'm going to write any more than a short paragraph it becomes a significant issue. Yes, you can plug in a keyboard to many of those micro UMPCs, but I'm looking for the mobile usability of the device by itself, as I plan to use it. "Well, you can plug in a bigger keyboard/monitor" isn't the same because it impacts that mobile usability (I'm not going to carry an external keyboard around).

~5 hour battery life - This is also something that I think isn't given enough significance. Yes, you can get "MOAR POWER!!!" in a similar form factor, but you pay for it in reduced battery run time. It's been frustrating for me to see battery technology improve significantly in the last few years, only to have that power be sucked up by manufacturers cramming in the latest processors, faster hard drives, and optical drives. Back when hardware was much less capable getting more processing capability into a mobile computer was very important. Making the sacrifice in battery time was worth what was gained. However, given what constitutes most of the average user's computing these days we now have very efficient hardware that can do the job adequately. I don't need a 2+GHz processor and 160GB hard drive in this kind of device (I'll reserve satisfaction of my bleeding edge hardware jones for my custom built, juiced up & overclocked desktop). Sure, just lining up hardware spec sheets the Foleo doesn't have the same raw number crunching ability as some other devices. But it doesn't need to for what it's doing, and what it gains by not needing to is worth a lot to me.

Real instant on/off - Again, this is something that isn't sexy, but that I think will resonate from a usability standpoint more than many people expect. I do not agree that something like Windows hibernation mode is "the same" as this. I'm sorry, it isn't. Sure, 0.25 seconds versus 20-30 seconds doesn't seem like a lot from an arithmetical standpoint, but in the context of the real world I think this can make a big difference in how people think about and use the device. Combine it with extremely lightweight and snappy application switching, and I think it will be a big plus in the user experience.

High build quality & materials - Going from what has been reported and what I've seen in pictures, the Foleo is very solid in construction. Now, this may be more of a personal preference or emotional thing, but it matters to me. Having something solidly built that I don't have to coddle, and can appreciate the attention to detail that went into the design, makes a difference. For instance, if the Asus Eee PC is as plastic-y as its rumored ~$200-250 price would imply I'd worry about how long it'll hold up, even with normal use. I see this as an instance of YGWYPF, and given my personal frustration at how product quality has taken a dive overall in recent years (not limited to technology), I appreciate it.

Focused simplicity - Similar to the instant on/off, this can be difficult to see as significant, but I think it is. By focusing the intended functions and streamlining both the hardware and software around them, the Foleo can be very tight and lean in how it works. We start approaching a "web appliance" that doesn't require the knowledge & maintenance hassle of a laptop. Yes, it is less flexible (at least on the surface, we'll see what the Linux community does with it), but again, it's not intended to be. It focuses on a defined set of things, and does them well and conveniently, without requiring fiddling by the user.

I've tried owning a laptop before, but found that I didn't end up using it a lot. When I need to do beefy computing, I use my desktop. What I have been wanting is something small, simple, as light as possible (while retaining the full keyboard & reasonable display), and with very good battery life that I could use for web surfing and other light apps/communications. The Foleo seems to be the closest thing yet to fit the bill for my needs. To get an ultra-light laptop or UMPC that matches these needs I'd need to spend a lot more than $600.

Sure, I'd like it to be cheaper. Hell, I'd like them to pay me to take one! But I may bite for the $499 intro price. I'd see this as my "use around the house" (WiFi) lightweight web device (it could end up being that more than anything), as well as to use on the go.

Of course, there will be people who want or require both a mobile device and full computer functions. For them a laptop or UMPC makes sense. It's more powerful but also heavier and shorter running (or much more limited in human interface), more complex to use and maintain, and in any case much more expensive. But for what they want or require those trade offs may be perfectly acceptable. I don't happen to be in that category. I also think trying to place the Foleo as a solution in that category and then proclaiming it insufficient isn't reasonable.

I will fault the Foleo for being behind the curve on multimedia software, however. With the explosion surrounding the iPod and other players, it's obvious that access to one's music should be put alongside the other typical uses for which the Foleo was designed. Similarly, there's no reason the hardware couldn't play video (though it might sap the battery a bit more heavily). In these areas Palm did come up quite short, IMO. Hopefully these will both be addressed by Palm or third party developers soon.

My other main complaint at this point is the probable lack of Treo 650 support at release. I very much hope they would include it at least soon afterward. I'm not ready to take the battery life hit of switching to the 680 yet (there's that run time importance again!) and I like a PalmOS+GSM Treo, so the 7xx series is out for now.

Flame away...
    Visor Platinum w/ VisorPhone > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    So what was it we all used to record videos from our television sets before the VCR? Oh yeah, I remember: Nothing. That's right, the VCR was a completely new device loosely based on video tape recorders used only in the television industry (at about $40,000-50,000 a pop). VCRs were, to use an oft overused word, revolutionary.

The Foleo's been done before - repeatedly. There isn't a single feature in the Foleo that hasn't been successfully marketed already in some other device (well, except perhaps the feature of having a laptop-sized device only run Palm-OS-style programs). There are already devices on the street that do what the Foleo does. Foleo uniqueness is only that it seems to be designed to support a microcosm of a potential market - something akin to market suicide. For the Foleo - VCR analogy to work:

- The Foleo would have to have been created nearly entirely from new technology
    - The Foleo would need to be one fortieth the cost of the current industry standard ($40,000 video tape machine to $1,000 VCR)
    - Nearly every household would be a potential market (one or more televisions)

Nope - I don't think VCR is what you want to compare the Foleo to. If you're looking for an analogy, think Delorean.
    Two things needn't be identical for any comparisons to be made.

Whether it's the vcr or any number of devices that debuted at ridiculously high prices, the point remains the same. Those prices often come down, after enough time has passed. Maybe this one will, too.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Gotta agree with Kupe on this one! The VCR was new technology. Foleo is a watered down laptop. Full featured laptops exist at the same price point of the Foleo. And 3rd party apps are often free. The Foleo should be no more than $400 at release for what it offers compared to what's out there.
    You guys are making a different point. I'm basically saying that the price was and is a huge issue for me, but considering how new products tend to be jacked-up in price, kinda puts it in a new perspective - for me, anyway.
    -------------------------------
    I'll briefly respond to some of your comments, but I'm not interested in turning this particular thread into a different kind of discussion than I intended (though I may have poorly expressed that point) from the original post. Maybe that's inevitable, but we'll see. Either way, I'm certainly not interested in the more smart-mouthed, snarky commentary that often rules such conversations. Phone Diva, you seem like the kind of poster that can disagree without being so very disagreeable. That's something I've come to respect about you and is one of the reasons you're among the very few posters whose screenname is familiar to me (for good reasons, anyway). Those who just wanna do the name-calling or snark-thing, it's a free country, but I've no interests in participating... this time.

As far as the price-point for comparable devices, folks have been saying that for months, yet I've checked out the devices they've compared to the Foleo (and, if I remember correctly, so have you).

In the end, the devices that folks say cost the same as the Foleo are larger, heavier, look cheap (EEE), or don't provide the instant-on and simplified features that make the Foleo an interesting concept - to some of us.

The devices that offer instant on or are small cost way more than the Foleo. It's almost the definition of a niche.
    Simplified features should mean LESS money IMO. Instant on I will forgo if I can fully use the device to my satisfaction.

Thank you for the comment, BTW! I've gotten snappy on some other boards though, LOL! Especially when I think people are being unfair or truly out of line.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Whether it's the vcr or any number of devices that debuted at ridiculously high prices, the point remains the same. Those prices often come down, after enough time has passed. Maybe this one will, too.
    You mean like the OLPC? It's $250-ish intro price is expected be down to $100-ish by next year. Palm has made no similar claim of expected Foleo price drops.
    Quote Originally Posted by spurdy
    I'm still a bit puzzled at all the people comparing this directly to UMPC products (both released and planned).
    For the same reason your listed key capabilities are already available in some devices (although the Foleo is not actually available yet). I use a Vaio-UX like you might use a Foleo. It's much more expensive than a Foleo (2x) but then again, when I got it (last year) it was truly bleeding edge technology. It has:

~5.5 hours of continuous battery life with extended battery (increasing the weight to 1.4 pounds) with Bluetooth and wifi on continuously.
    real instant on/off using the "lock" switch - which is different than the "standby" or "hibernate" approach.
    High build quality materials Yep.
    focused simplicty I get to choose my own software.

It also has:
    60 GB of storage with 1 GB of ram and a memory stick slot.
    Built-in wireless connectivity (WWAN) But it's EDGE so it sucks so I use...
    Bluetooth connectivity to my EVDO capable phone for broadband speed wireless on the go...and instant synchronization with my PIM and email.
    Full size, BT keyboard When I need it. I have a Think Outside for when I'm mobile (with a flat spot) or a full size keyboard when using my (included) docking station at my desk.
    Ample input options Built-in thumb board, handwriting recognition, on screen keyboard, thumb mouse plus any USB device you choose.
    Broadened complexity I get to choose my own software... so long as it's windows compatible, or Linux compatible (if you prefer), or MAC OS X compatible (for those who choose to install it).
    Real "stand-up" usability No need to seek out a flat space to use it.

You can pick up this device used on eBay for prices approaching the Foleo's. Makes Jeff Hawkins' device kind of a sad joke by comparison.
    spurdy, nice post

Those are the reasons I'm interested in the Foleo. It's not perfect but I like what I see.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  13.    #13  
    Simplified features should mean LESS money IMO. Instant on I will forgo if I can fully use the device to my satisfaction.
    I can respect that. I'm really tempted by the form factor, implied stability, and what I expected to be a native "friendliness" with my Treos.

I could certainly be disappointed on any or all of these counts.

By "simplified features," I don't just mean having fewer options (although that's a substantive interpretation). I mean simplified operation (doing the things you need to do without having to work so hard at it) and stability (which, like so many other features, has yet to be confirmed in the long-term).

Thank you for the comment, BTW! I've gotten snappy on some other boards though, LOL! Especially when I think people are being unfair or truly out of line.
    Ha! Happens to the best of'em.
    Last edited by west3man; 07/24/2007 at 04:50 PM.
  14.    #14  
    You mean like the OLPC? It's $250-ish intro price is expected be down to $100-ish by next year. Palm has made no similar claim of expected Foleo price drops.
    What's an OLPC?

For the same reason your listed key capabilities are already available in some devices (although the Foleo is not actually available yet). I use a Vaio-UX like you might use a Foleo. It's much more expensive than a Foleo (2x) but then again, when I got it (last year) it was truly bleeding edge technology. It has:

~5.5 hours of continuous battery life with extended battery (increasing the weight to 1.4 pounds) with Bluetooth and wifi on continuously.
    real instant on/off using the "lock" switch - which is different than the "standby" or "hibernate" approach.

It also has:
    Bluetooth connectivity to my EVDO capable phone for broadband speed wireless on the go...and instant synchronization with my PIM and email.
    Full size, BT keyboard When I need it. I have a Think Outside for when I'm mobile (with a flat spot) or a full size keyboard when using my (included) docking station at my desk.
    Ample input options Built-in thumb board, handwriting recognition, on screen keyboard, thumb mouse plus any USB device you choose.
    Broadened complexity I get to choose my own software... so long as it's windows compatible, or Linux compatible (if you prefer), or MAC OS X compatible (for those who choose to install it).

You can pick up this device used on eBay for prices approaching the Foleo's. Makes Jeff Hawkins' device kind of a sad joke by comparison.
    Is your device 2x the price of the Foleo before or after your optional accessories are factored in?

Real question, btw. I'd also like to know the model number, if you don't mind. I'm still shopping around.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    I think if Palm succeeds in making other phones work with the Foleo there are a lot of people that will buy it. Imagine being able to carry a very small phone with 3G (or 4G) capability and have the Foleo use it to connect to the net when WiFi isn't available. For this to be truly useful the email/PIM applications will need to be able to operate independently. In other words, no syncing required. I know my wife would find using the Foleo much easier than my Treo when she is "navigating" as we are driving along trying to figure out what movie to go to. Right now we have to pull over while I find the movies on the Treo. She's not a techie and just gets frustrated with the Treo. But the Foleo looks enough like a laptop (and dare I say operates like a laptop) that I think she'll be able to use it.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    spurdy, nice post

Those are the reasons I'm interested in the Foleo. It's not perfect but I like what I see.
    Seconded, with an asterisk!
    The Vaio UX is 4 times the price of the Foleo.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...tegoryId=16154

I don't know about buying on eBay. No warranty unless it's from a seriously reputable dealer or a seller who can transfer the warranty.

P.S. Best buy has a pre-built consumer version for less.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1168043812860
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 07/24/2007 at 06:20 PM.

18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot View Post
    I think if Palm succeeds in making other phones work with the Foleo there are a lot of people that will buy it. Imagine being able to carry a very small phone with 3G (or 4G) capability and have the Foleo use it to connect to the net when WiFi isn't available. For this to be truly useful the email/PIM applications will need to be able to operate independently. In other words, no syncing required. I know my wife would find using the Foleo much easier than my Treo when she is "navigating" as we are driving along trying to figure out what movie to go to. Right now we have to pull over while I find the movies on the Treo. She's not a techie and just gets frustrated with the Treo. But the Foleo looks enough like a laptop (and dare I say operates like a laptop) that I think she'll be able to use it.
    I was thinking something similar about my grandmother (I hope you don't mind the parallel) and other family members.

They're not very techy and are, actually, quite timid around computers. But I could see my grandmother, mother, and an older friend of mine getting the hang of the Foleo's straight-forward interface and small, light-weight form-factor.

Something light enough for my grandmother to actually carry around - probably with one hand? That's awesome. I'm afraid the EEE would fall apart the first time someone sneezes near it.

See, I've thought a lot about some of the more tech-phobic folks I've met in my life and, at times, I've wondered why they don't give some of these gadgets a shot - especially since I get so very much enjoyment and functionality from them.

One of the most obvious answers that eluded me for some time, though, was the very thing that spurdy mentions: maintenance. That's why I say "simplicity" is a big-time plus.

Not having to be a computer guru to get long-term functionality (which I can only hope this device truly offers) is becoming more and more rare, these days.

It also has:

I appreciate the Vaio-UX for what it is, but it's still a cramped interface. An external keyboard is another thing to carry, and you're still on a pretty small 4.5" screen. Plus, it looks like the eBay prices are between about $750 and $1200+ (and purchasing new is out of the question!) And I just don't want to operate, configure, and maintain a full version of Windows anyway.

All that hardware and functionality is great, and if I could have that at $500 (while still having a full keyboard and 10" screen) naturally I'd do it. I don't necessarily need it, but it might be handy on occasion. However, it is mostly superfluous to fulfilling the need I'm trying to address and the fact that it pushes the price WAY up there takes it out of consideration.

Again, I've no problem with the UX, it's just a different thing, addressing a different purpose, than what I'm looking for. Chop off a lot of the hardware you listed and maybe the price could come down. I realize it's counter to the general "more is better" philosophy that drives most of the consumer market, but I really don't want the "opportunity" to pay for them in my device. No, I really don't want fries with that, honest!

I really see it as two fundamentally different applications of technology. And I'd still respectfully take issue with trying to do direct comparisons.

More power to you that it does what you want though!
    Visor Platinum w/ VisorPhone > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile
    OLPC=One Laptop Per Child project. Probably one model is the Asus everyone talks about.

I honestly am not sure I can use one of those either. Depends on the final release of specs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast