Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Thank you Malatesta. I've been using the fujitsu P7xxx series which in recent years have been matching the Sony's spec for spec. For work and personally, I've repeatedly went with fujitsu because they always had more removeable storage options included, integrated biometrics, a slightly lower price (~$2400 for the last one though) and excellent tech support (knowledgeable people actually answer the phone.) However, for much of what I do recreationally, the Foleo a better choice. Almost burning myself on the laptop is getting old. Startup/Resume time with my gig of RAM is nowhere near the Foleo's. And above all, sometimes I just want to deal with something simple. Cool, light, simple... almost sounds unreal. And BTW any screen smaller than 10" is not an option for me.
    The Foleo is not for everyone or every use. Potentially however, it will be just the thing for some.

L o w e r t h e P r i c e P a l m!
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Other IT people have said they would be excited about a foleo-type product if it would simplify their support for non-technical mobile users. We are realizing more and more that engineering simplicity into today's technology has to be a priority. An overly complex user experience is often unproductive and expensive to support. Some of my users refuse to even use any smartphone. Why? They just want something simple. And I'm talking about intelligent people - people who'd rather just focus on doing the task at hand and not how to accomplish the task. If the Foleo turns out to be the fast and simple mobile companion Palm is proposing and mobile thin client I and others are desiring, it will be worthwhile.

L o w e r t h e P r i c e P a l m!
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    Agreed. I'm definitely ready to move away from Windows. That still leaves the Asus Eee as the only real alternative right?
    It appears to be cheaply put together, which is a deal-breaker for me. I think I'd get a Foleo before I'd get an EEE.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Someone mentioned that line, recently, but there don't seem to be any local suppliers. I think I found some on ebaY, but then you've gotta deal with whatever international shipping paperwork and fees that might apply. No English manual and questionable warranty status left me concerned.
    I believe dynamism carries it and they have their own warranty. I got my UX 90 from them before the English version (UX390 SSD 32 GB) was available.
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    Agreed. I'm definitely ready to move away from Windows. That still leaves the Asus Eee as the only real alternative right?
    Well if you just want cheap and non-windows, there is this if it ever appears: http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/25/m...or-the-people/

For me, I will deal with windows and the booting up for now. I have 2 GB ram and with hibernation booting up isn't too much of an issue. I think as SSDs become more widely in laptops adopted (like in the Sony TZ) the boot up speed will be less of an issue. And the price of SSDs is all ready dropping dramatically

I loved my jornada 720. One pound and instant with handheld PC windows CE OS. You can still get those for about $200 or $250.

I just wish the innovation was there with palm OS. Like when Sony was banging em out a few years back.

My UX 90 has a 32 GB SSD and weighs a pound. Between my treo, UX, and TX, my bases are covered for now. I just wish it could be rwo devices instead of three. If I had a foleo I'd still be at 3 devices: treo, foleo, and a laptop. And the foleo would do much less than my TX and be same size and weight basically.

As far as instant on goes, while I am booting up I do other stuff like work on my treo so I don't really lose time; I just multi task and include the boot up time in my planning. No biggie.

I just wish the treo itself were better. That is could multi-task at this point, had a much better camera, had new form factors like the mogul...

I have invested 11 years in palm OS. I'd like to stick with the programs, the books I bought over the years.

It isn't really that palm OS bad as much as someone is asleep at the wheel, out of touch, or just lazy.

It is like the USA and China a bit (where I am for the summer). If the US economy continues to grow around 3 or 4 percent and China's grows at 8 or not for the next 25 years (as it has for last 10 years), the conclusion is inescapable: The US will be left behind and displaced.

So too will Palm OS and its users. Being good or better than whoever else is out there isn't enough. Palm is still better at smartphones but not by much any more. The balance is starting to tip and its completely unnecessary.

I say the foleo is a waste of the companies resources because it is an unnecessary product. people don't want more devices. They need less.

The treo itself has to do more, and to do it better than it does and to do it better than the competition does or will do.

I wish Sony had bought palm 3 years ago...
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Mannnn. Now PocketTunes has joined the cast of Foleo apps, but I'm wondering how much all of these apps will cost by the time it's all said and done.

Like I said, the nickel n dime approach may have its advantages, but if it results in a 50% increase in price (or more) that's kinda scary. Makes me wanna just get an overpriced laptop whose capabilities won't be a mystery to me - even though they lack instant-on.

*sigh*

When it comes to Foleo, I'm sure I seem pretty bi-polar. That may not be far from the truth.
    At $400 it wouldn't be so bad to pay a little extra for SOME software. $600 is going into weak but still full laptop territory. Adding the software makes it definite laptop territory. Not completely a smart move on Palm's part IMO. Maybe if it didn't look so much like a laptop, I'd quit saying that, LOL! But seriously, I think if it adds up to a laptop, many will start looking at *you guessed it* laptops!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123