Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    The Vaio UX and the Foleo are in two totally different classes both in price and feature set. The way the Foleo may best function initially is

1. An alternate email workspace for your Treo.
    2. A basic web browsing platform
    3. For simple office application work
    4. IMHO the greatest potential lies in this: A thin-client/web application device. As has been stated by others more and more applications are becoming web-centric and remotely accessible. Googles main development focus the last couple years has not been search. It's been web apps. When
    the apps are on the web, the computer/client doesn't need as much horsepower. In fact, they can be relatively simple. The requirements are more in the areas of access and compatability. Just look at the Foleo blogging application announcement yesterday. TreoCentral Quote: Palm and SixApart worked together to ensure their blogging services work seamlessly on the Foleo's web browser. With these services available on the Foleo, users can keep blog and journal entries up to date and stay current with their communities while on the go.

My ultra portable laptop is my primary work/home/on the go computer. However, I do very little locally other than PIM, email and multimedia. I run remotely hosted apps on my network. Everything else is web-based.

Considering the simplicity, portability, comfort and design, the Foleo may be just the right thing for some. The next question would be, if it's the right thing then what's the right price. For me $399 would be better (especially without the multimedia I want.)
    Last edited by 1PTUser; 07/24/2007 at 07:32 PM.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
    One good thing the Foleo has done, got me considering a small screen laptop again, for travel even if a short distance. Bad thing, the price makes me look at other options. Especially since I still would like more entertainment availability and options than just games after I'm done with email. Plus more sync capability. I also need java and flash to be enabled and I'm not sure the Foleo will do this, will it?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    email sync - yep.
    PIM sync - 3rd party
    Javascript - yep
    Java - hopefully will come via 3rd party/open source
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Here are my thoughts on the price...

What is the Foleo really replacing?

The answer is a combination of, partially my laptop, and partially my T5, with a sprinkling of my Treo.

My laptop is more than twice the cost of the Foleo, my Treo was almost the same cost, and my T5 was $399 plus an additional $89 for my wireless keyboard. That's essentially the $500 after rebate right there.

I love my T5, but after I got my Treo, it's been relegated to ebooks and reading documents for the most part. Listening to audio when I can't find my Treo's ear piece. When I know I'll have a flat workspace, and time to sit down with it, I'll take my T5 and Keyboard with me sometimes instead of my laptop due to the portability.

But I need a workspace to use it. That's the catch with a keyboard that isn't attached to the T5. You can't really use it in your lap, or various other places where you can use a laptop or the Foleo. The T5 + Keyboard is more pocketable, but not necessarily more convenient. (The same applies to the Asus EEE's smaller size/keyboard)

With a Foleo, I'll be using my laptop less (but still using it), some of the ways I use my Treo will move over into Foleo territory, but with the right programs I may stop using my T5 altogether, and just have it around for "just in case".

For some people the Foleo isn't going to replace anything and it will be an additional device. For some people it won't really be it's own separate device, and it really will be the mobile/treo companion that Palm is trying to convince us it is. But for me, and how I'll be using it, the price seems to be in the right ballpark.
    Last edited by Gerorne; 07/24/2007 at 07:03 PM.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    The Vaio UX is 4 times the price of the Foleo.
    Last time I chaecked, the Foleo was going to sell for $600. Isn't 600 x 2 equal to $1,200? I prefer to not pay full retail when presented with alternatives (lots of alternatives in the case of the 280P).
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man
    What's an OLPC?
    It's one of these
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man
    Is your device 2x the price of the Foleo before or after your optional accessories are factored in?
    The basic device (with charger, dock, portable stand, extra ethernet/vga adapter. The keyboard(s) I described are extra, unless you already have one like I did. The cell phone with bluetooth and EVDO broadband is extra. Some of the software (like MS Office) is extra. I added the larger hard drive too (and use the old one as a 4 oz, 1.8" USB-powered backup drive).
    One good thing the Foleo has done, got me considering a small screen laptop again, for travel even if a short distance. Bad thing, the price makes me look at other options. Especially since I still would like more entertainment availability and options than just games after I'm done with email. Plus more sync capability. I also need java and flash to be enabled and I'm not sure the Foleo will do this, will it?
    That was my logic on the Vaio. I bought it as a "tweener" device (between my laptop and my phone), but after increasing the hard drive space to 80GB, it also replaced my work laptop.
    Spurdy -- really appreciate your well thought out take on the Foleo!

I feel that the more we know about the Foleo we will think of other ways to use it that we haven't even thought of yet. The discussion about using it as an eBook reader being an example. That fits in the "using it around the house" category.
    The UX link I provided was the current model, I guess.

I saw a 13.1" laptop for around $900 with tax included. I was considering getting that. For $300 more, I get full laptop functionality and more power and space. Plus I can still use ALL my existing programs and sync with all my phones. If I can find that one at one of those wholesale sites like the one Kupe provided, I bet it wouldn't be too much more than the Foleo.

I just plugged in my old 12" Powerbook, maybe I'll save some money and just use that, LOL!
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 07/24/2007 at 10:13 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  9.    #29  
    The UX link I provided was the current model, I guess.

I saw a 13.1" laptop for around $900 with tax included. I was considering getting that. For $300 more, I get full laptop functionality and more power and space. Plus I can still use ALL my existing programs and sync with all my phones. If I can find that one at one of those wholesale sites like the one Kupe provided, I bet it wouldn't be too much more than the Foleo.
    I've been surprised at how poor battery life is on some of the smallest laptops. If you find out the battery life on that one is good, please share.

Of course, I'd like a tiny lil 2.5 lb'er, but *shrugs*
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    ...What is the Foleo really replacing?...
    For me the idea is to replace my Treo. I would rather carry a small 3G/4G phone for connecting to the Internet and use the Foleo for checking email, PIM stuff, Google Maps, IM, etc... Oh yeah, the small phone would excel at phone calls and probably work very well with a bluetooth headset unlike the Treo.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
  11.    #31  
    Mannnn. Now PocketTunes has joined the cast of Foleo apps, but I'm wondering how much all of these apps will cost by the time it's all said and done.

Like I said, the nickel n dime approach may have its advantages, but if it results in a 50% increase in price (or more) that's kinda scary. Makes me wanna just get an overpriced laptop whose capabilities won't be a mystery to me - even though they lack instant-on.

*sigh*

When it comes to Foleo, I'm sure I seem pretty bi-polar. That may not be far from the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot View Post
    For me the idea is to replace my Treo. I would rather carry a small 3G/4G phone for connecting to the Internet and use the Foleo for checking email, PIM stuff, Google Maps, IM, etc... Oh yeah, the small phone would excel at phone calls and probably work very well with a bluetooth headset unlike the Treo.
    You are with me! I exactly have this plan, because I don't have Treo right now, I sold it several months ago waiting for new born Treo with Palm OS II if possible.

I'm using SE K618i which quite good phone, 3G, and BT v2.0 really great connecting with T3 and BT Headset. So with Foleo I will replace my T3, and hope more software come bundled with Foleo.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I've been surprised at how poor battery life is on some of the smallest laptops. If you find out the battery life on that one is good, please share.

Of course, I'd like a tiny lil 2.5 lb'er, but *shrugs*
    My Sony TX gets more than 5 hours on a charge. I am thrilled with it. It weighs like 2.8 pounds. Mine cost like $2500. when I got it, but I saw one TX model for under $1500 on amazon recently. The TX is basically the same size as the folio and blows it away...I don't think people buy treos thinking about saving money. They want want cutting technology (ha!) for a reasonable price...but it's been years since any palm OS hardware was cutting edge.

I think most treo users all ready have a laptop of some sort. In fact, I'd bet most treo users have multiple gadgets. If palm is directing this toward the enterprise, they are seriously missing the boat. For just a little more you can get a full laptop. This thing is a huge joke and a waste of palm's resources. God how I miss Sony making palms. I wish they were real innovation going on with palm OS devices like when Sony was in the game. Palm has gotten seriously arrogant, fat, lazy, and big time out of touch with its user base.
    Last edited by southbound747; 07/26/2007 at 11:52 AM.
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by southbound747 View Post
    My Sony TX gets more than 5 hours on a charge. I am thrilled with it. It weighs like 2.8 pounds. Mine cost like $2500. when I got it, but I saw one TX model for under $1500 on amazon recently. The TX is basically the same size as the folio and blows it away...I don't think people buy treos thinking about saving money. They want want cutting technology (ha!) for a reasonable price...but it's been years since any palm OS hardware was cutting edge.

I think most treo users all ready have a laptop of some sort. In fact, I'd bet most treo users have multiple gadgets. If palm is directing this toward the enterprise, they are seriously missing the boat. For just a little more you can get a full laptop. This thing is a huge joke and a waste of palm's resources. God how I miss Sony making palms. I will they were real innovation going on with palm OS devices like when Sony was in the game. Palm has gotten seriously arrogant, fat, lazy, and big time out of touch with its user base.
    Y'know, I've been looking at TX's over the past couple of days. There's a TXN25N/B available, locally, for $1724. That's waaaaay more than I wanted to spend, but focusing on the Foleo has made me focus on the role it could play... which has, ironically, lead me to other manufacturers.

Maybe Foleo's 2nd iteration will be more along the lines of what I'd want in a package.

So, does that price for the TX sound like to much, to you? It's a discontinued product, so I expected a bigger price drop.

EDIT: HP's got a tablet pc that's going for $899.99, locally. It's on clearance, doesn't have Bluetooth, but is 12.1 inches (screen), rotates 180 degrees, has a gig of RAM, a 160 GB harddrive, and burns dual-layer dvd's (Lightscribe, too).

I'd like that sweet Sony, but this may be the more practical (also economical) choice. We'll see. $500 looks great in-comparison, but...
    Last edited by west3man; 07/26/2007 at 09:19 AM.
    On the subject of ultralights\semi-umpc, check out Kohjinsha PCs. They're about $800-1100, with 7" touch-screen that can rotate, hdd up to 100GB and a nice keyboard. Battery life is somewhere around 4-6 hours if I'm not mistaken. The newest model has higher res screen: 1024x600 or so, and the older one is 800x480.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by yulianto View Post
    On the subject of ultralights\semi-umpc, check out Kohjinsha PCs. They're about $800-1100, with 7" touch-screen that can rotate, hdd up to 100GB and a nice keyboard. Battery life is somewhere around 4-6 hours if I'm not mistaken. The newest model has higher res screen: 1024x600 or so, and the older one is 800x480.
    Someone mentioned that line, recently, but there don't seem to be any local suppliers. I think I found some on ebaY, but then you've gotta deal with whatever international shipping paperwork and fees that might apply. No English manual and questionable warranty status left me concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Someone mentioned that line, recently, but there don't seem to be any local suppliers. I think I found some on ebaY, but then you've gotta deal with whatever international shipping paperwork and fees that might apply. No English manual and questionable warranty status left me concerned.
    Weight was a major factor for me since I am usually in NYC carrying around my laptop. If I were in and out of car all day I might feel differently. I also have a UX but find the keyboard to hard to use and after you pair the UX with a separate BT keyboard and the dock then you have more stuff than just the TX....

If weight were not a factor I would love the Fujitsu portege.....
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    Quote Originally Posted by southbound747 View Post
    For just a little more you can get a full laptop. This thing is a huge joke and a waste of palm's resources.
    Why does everyone say this as if it's some shocking revelation? We all know how to use pricegrabber.com.

The point is this: some of us don't want another MS branded laptop. Some of don't find Windows a great mobile OS. I'm tired of AV, anti-spyware, Win updates, removing junk (XP lite), etc.

That's what I like about the Foleo: instant switching of apps, simple to use and to the point.

So if you're going to sell me on "just another laptop" (or UMPC), you have to move away from anything Windows based. That leaves linux, which is nice--but lets be honest, the chances of linux being widely adopted seems unlikely. But Palm slapping a new UI on linux where all the work is done for you, so that it syncs with your PIM, phone, data, etc...that's attractive.

People just have to remember: as is, the Foleo is for specific people with specific requirements. It's not, at this point, some universal be-all, do-all device.

It's just refreshing for once to have a device that has low processing demands and is still fast, unlike Windows:

It's too slow = slap more ram in there!
    It's still too slow = faster processor!
    Still a bit slow = duo processors!
    Okay, now it's fast...but my batter life blows, it's hot and noisy = Add a bigger batter, get a laptop cooler!

ad nausem

Instead: a 415mhz processor with little RAM but I can still do desktop functions, with great battery life and it's speed as hell? That actually sounds nice for a change.

I tell you what: Windows Mobile could go on a diet too. Palm actually does that with their WM devices but I have a feeling POSII will be much faster than WM will ever be with a lot less processing requirements.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 07/26/2007 at 02:13 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Agreed. I'm definitely ready to move away from Windows. That still leaves the Asus Eee as the only real alternative right?
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    Agreed. I'm definitely ready to move away from Windows. That still leaves the Asus Eee as the only real alternative right?
    That or just any linux based laptop (ubuntu does look cool, but not sure if I have the time to invest in playing wiht it). Either are better solutions in theory. My concern? Do I get the same seamless integration of my "smartphone" (treo or otherwise) as I would with the Foleo?

I know little about linux so I won't pretend I know the answer. I guess that's the point: I won't have to research with the Foleo since that's what it's designed for.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast