1.    #1  
    This may make or break my purchase of the Foleo. I have a Sprint SERO plan with UL data. If I tether via BT on the Foleo, will I need a separate data plan?
    You will not need a seperate plan, but you do need to make sure that you are not breaking your terms of service by teathering. Many smartphone data plans prohibit teathering and so you will want to be sure that you are not breaking that when doing so.

Most carriers seem to allow some teathering, but excessive use is what they most look for with those who have data connection plans.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  3.    #3  
    thank you, antoine. that's very helpful. I will keep that in mind...
    On Sprint there are ways to bypass the Multi-NAI tethering requirement, if you have access to DUN settings on the device.

Too early to say if that will be done. Junefabrics (PDANet) has that whole business down pat, so hopefully they'll have a Foleo compatible version sooner than later.

I currently use it on my laptop with my $10 Vision plan. Works pretty well.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    According to Adam, the Biz Dev presenter at the LA Sneak Preview, you would need a PAM plan to use DUN, at least within Sprint's TOS. I can't speak for other carriers, but Sprint doesn't define "unlimited data" the way normal human beings do; it's restricted to the wireless device, and tethering is not included.

I used the DUN hack without incident when I had and Powerbook and a 650. Since returning to Windows laptops, I've had nothing but grief getting DUN working (usually conflicts between the laptop manufacturers' own BT stacks and Windows' native BT stack), so I currently use PDANet over USB, still without PAM.
    Ok please tell me if i got all this right...

The Sprint SERO plan with unlimited Data will not cover you when you try to tether the Foleo with the treo 755p BUT you can hide it from Sprint by installing a Hack?

How widespread is this method? are you guys using the hack?
    Yes, Palm apparently didn't seek (or can't get) any love from the carriers for the Fooleo tethering. Although there are simple ways around being charged(at least for now), essentially anyone that buys the Fooleo to surf the web and get their email through their mobile phone will be violating the terms of service of their carrier if they don't buy an additional phone-as-modem plan.

ie: (Sprint) $40/month x 12= $480/year additional for data access on the Fooleo via tethering. If you have a 2-year contract, that's $480x2 = $960 + $500 (Fooleo) = $1460.00 TCO for a couple years. If you have plans of using the Fooleo for regular data access outside of an 802.11b network, and also staying in compliance with your carrier contract - it's essentially an additional $750/year to view your email and surf the web on a larger screen than the Treo.

If you have that kind of ca$h sitting around (or a great expense account) then enjoy yourselves. It seems to me that the tethering costs are the dark, dirty secret that Palm isn't being very forthright about when discussing this device.

For the $750/year savings I'll stick with my miniscule Treo screen and its limitations - bringing my three-pound 14" laptop when and where absolutely necessary.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Well, you could either pay for teathering, or not pay to teather and pay more for a home cable/dsl line. The TCO is more for the latter, c'est pas?
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    Well, you could either pay for teathering, or not pay to teather and pay more for a home cable/dsl line. The TCO is more for the latter, c'est pas?
    Not really. Most people can get DSL for $19
    HP200LX -> Palm Pilot -> Palm III -> Sony PEG-300 -> Sony PEG-N710C -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p -> (iPhone or Treo 800L or something unexpected)??
    Home internet is a completely different story. Thats a given expenditure. I dont even go to my delicate personal data when i go out.

What we are trying to achieve in all this is the MOBILE COMPUTING Experience, as Jeff Hawkins has kept on saying and saying.... and what we are trying to figure out in this thread is how much are we going to spend if we do get mobile internet, whatever form you may think of.

So I am seeing, to be able to completely go to the internet whenever and wherever you are, its gonna cost $30 (SERO) + $40 (unlimited pda modem) + $10 for texts... $80 a month.

Compare that to my current phone bill which runs about $60-70 a month. Still pretty big difference to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by michelle View Post
    This may make or break my purchase of the Foleo. I have a Sprint SERO plan with UL data. If I tether via BT on the Foleo, will I need a separate data plan?

If you want to be honest and follow Sprint's Terms of Service that you "agreed" to when you signed up, then yes the Foleo requires a Phone As Modem (PAM) account if you want to tether the Foleo to your Treo and use the Treo as a modem. Palm is being less than upfront about this because if users pay for the right to tether their Foleos it would add another $40/month or more to their phone bill. Add THAT to the Foleo's $600 pricetag and suddenly those Foleos won't exactly be flying off the shelves.

In reality, most Windows laptop users that tether to their Treos either use a simple hack (do a search for it here at Treocentral) or one of two apps: USBModem or PdaNet. I've "tested" all 3 (for educational purposes only ) and found PdaNet is the simplest and most reliable solution. Some really bad people I know have "tested" PdaNet daily for YEARS and now even rely on their tethered Sprint phones as their primary Internet connection. Shocking! As long as you don't abuse it, Sprint appears to look the other way. So for a $30 SERO plan you'd get 500 anytime minutes, unlimited nights + weekends, free roaming onto Verizon, etc. and "free" EVDO tethering. Unbeatable. Of course, technically, tethering amounts to stealing service from Sprint, sort of like tapping into a neighbor's cable service. Do what your conscience tells you is the right thing to do to poor old Mr. Sprint .

Sprint!

Certain Samsung phones also allow you to disable Sprint's ability to differentiate that data usage is via the phone directly versus dial up networking (DUN):

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90735

Sprint's problem is that because modern phones can legitimately stream large amounts of data to the phone it makes it a little harder to be certain that someone who is tethering actually isn't using data just on the phone. If it was worth the hassle, Sprint would probably crack down on this, but up until now with so few people tethering they haven't yet bothered to do so to any significant degree.

PdaNet (and USBModem) require software on the Windows side as well as the Treo side. Since no version of these apps are available for the Foleo (nor is a Foleo version of PdaNet apparently planned according to the PdaNet developer) then if you're planning to tether to the Treo you'll need to hack your own solution. If you look at the size of the Foleo market for developers, I think you'll realize that Foleo users had better get used to finding their own solutions unless the next generation of PalmOS is based on the Foleo OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Chupacabra View Post
    PdaNet (and USBModem) require software on the Windows side as well as the Treo side. Since no version of these apps are available for the Foleo (nor is a Foleo version of PdaNet apparently planned according to the PdaNet developer) then if you're planning to tether to the Treo you'll need to hack your own solution. If you look at the size of the Foleo market for developers, I think you'll realize that Foleo users had better get used to finding their own solutions unless the next generation of PalmOS is based on the Foleo OS.
    True on the Windows side (700W, 700WX and 750), but you should be fine if you use the tether hack that you install on the Palm 700P. That should work fine since it doesn't require any client install.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    ie: (Sprint) $40/month x 12= $480/year additional for data access on the Fooleo via tethering. If you have a 2-year contract, that's $480x2 = $960 + $500 (Fooleo) = $1460.00 TCO for a couple years. If you have plans of using the Fooleo for regular data access outside of an 802.11b network, and also staying in compliance with your carrier contract - it's essentially an additional $750/year to view your email and surf the web on a larger screen than the Treo.
    You are a bit off base here. To get data on a Treo, you need to pay for some kind of data service above and beyond regular cell service. I'm on Verizon and this additional service is $45/month. This lets me get my email and browse the web from my smartphone. If I were running a Blackberry, I'd be hit with a similar cost. Tethering is an additional $10/month on top of this data service. Therefore, I'd basically be paying $10/month to connect my laptop or foleo to the internet via my Treo. Not a bad deal IMO. I currently gladly pay it.

Getting a foleo doesn't mean you are REQUIRED to tether. W/O the tethering, Foleo still does what it says it will do: A companion to your mobile device. Remember you can always connect to WIFI.. However, the extra $10/month for tethering is well worth what you are getting, which is a mobile broadband internet connection.

As a business user, this feature is very valuable. Maybe if I were just a home user I would be concerned about the extra $10/month, but I'm not.

I don't think Palm is hiding anything. Their statements about the foleo clearly assume the user has a smartphone and are already paying for a data connection. The extra $10/month to tether is chump change. Hell, I spend more than that going to the coffee stand over a three day period.

Let's put this into perspective. The Foleo is not a device designed for the home user. It is targeted at the BUSINESS USER. As a business user, I gladly pay a few extra bucks for convienence, because my time is worth $$..

Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr View Post
    Not really. Most people can get DSL for $19
    No, most people don't. Most people pay close to twice that for a home connection and 4-5 times that for a commercial connection.

Further, this is an apples to oranges comparision. Can you pack your DSL up in your car and take it with you?

Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Home internet is a completely different story. Thats a given expenditure. I dont even go to my delicate personal data when i go out.

So I am seeing, to be able to completely go to the internet whenever and wherever you are, its gonna cost $30 (SERO) + $40 (unlimited pda modem) + $10 for texts... $80 a month.

Compare that to my current phone bill which runs about $60-70 a month. Still pretty big difference to me.
    As previously stated, you are not paying $40/month for a PDA modem. You are paying $40/month to get data on your smartphone. Get rid of this and see how easy it is to check your email on your Smartphone with your $30/month SERO plan.

The $80/month is a cost you are already willing to pay to have a smartphone. This has nothing to do with the Foleo. Throwing a foleo into the mix will result in very little additional cost beyond the purchase of the device.

Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Chupacabra View Post
    Well, PDANet may change their tune if they get a Foleo to work with and an SDK.

Right now, only a "select" number of developers have those hence why there are product announcements. So maybe they will do it.

Either way, PDAnet, while nice, is doable manually which you alluded to. At ppcgeeks we documented a way to do with any XP machine and the Sprint provider driver. You just need to create a DUN in Windows, put in #777 and leave the rest blank. All PDAnet does is automate the process and make it look prettier (via their icons in the system tray).

So hacking this on the Foleo shouldn't be too hard if you have access to the DUN, but we'll have to see. If Junefabrics sees money in this, they'll port it over.

As far as paying $40 a month to Sprint (Joad): look, people want to do this. Either they'll do it with a laptop PC, mac or a Foleo, but paying that fee is sort of implied if you need to do this stuff. So I don't see it as a big deal.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 07/24/2007 at 08:04 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I would think that as long as the tethering hack is applied to the Treo, that it wouldn't matter what the Foleo settings are. If I'm not mistaken, the number dialed is still #777 for PAM plans as well.