Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    This is particularly directed at Ben C., if he's reading ... with Foleo being based on the Linux kernel, will Palm be releasing its modifications/GPL-derived software under the GPL, just as TiVo and Linksys did? I'm guessing any user-land stuff like the Treo sync and e-mail client will remain closed source, but what about kernel patches to enable the specific hardware features of Foleo?
    Yes, we fully intend on following all of the various open source licenses that apply to components in our system. We've had a team of engineering leads and lawyers going through all of the details for months now
    Quote Originally Posted by edoan View Post
    This is particularly directed at Ben C., if he's reading ... with Foleo being based on the Linux kernel, will Palm be releasing its modifications/GPL-derived software under the GPL, just as TiVo and Linksys did? I'm guessing any user-land stuff like the Treo sync and e-mail client will remain closed source, but what about kernel patches to enable the specific hardware features of Foleo?
    You don't need Ben's opinion about the GPL. The nice thing about the GPL is that it is written in plan english without a bunch of legal jargon that is hard to understand.

In very simple terms, the GPL states that any work based on GPL work must also be GPL. The litmus test for GPL is if the application in question is standalone. If the app can run without relaying on ANY GPL code, then it does not need to be GPL. Versamail, for example, does not to be GPL because it does not need GPL software to run.

Greg
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    I read the question as being aimed at making sure that Palm is going to be upfront and honest about any changes they make to the kernel or other system level software. edoan please correct me if I misread what you were asking.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot View Post
    I read the question as being aimed at making sure that Palm is going to be upfront and honest about any changes they make to the kernel or other system level software. edoan please correct me if I misread what you were asking.
    The Linux community is very passionate about the GPL. Palm wouldn't make it very far on the GPL playing field if they weren't 100% above board with respect to GPL code. Them not abidding by the GPL would be a "kiss of death" with respect to support from the Linux community. My comments were to point out the fact that the GPL really is a license written in human readable terms that any of us can read and understand.

My guess is that Palm hasn't made any changes to the actual Linux Kernel, but instead taken off from one of the current mobile linux distro projects. For example: http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8395255492.html

Greg
    Last edited by gzartman; 07/24/2007 at 10:57 PM.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    I work at one of the world's largest companies doing Linux software ... I have a good idea about GPL. :-) My question was more directed at a) potential TiVoization, b) if Palm would pull a fast one like Linksys did years ago when the WRT54G first came out; IIRC, Linksys played dumb and didn't release source code until someone discovered it was, in fact, running with GNU/Linux.

Yeah, I get that VersaMail won't be released under GPL mostly because it's a userland app that doesn't touch any GPL code. To refine my question to Ben & Palm: is the kernel-level stuff completely GPL, or will it be "tainted" with proprietary binary-only drivers/kernel modules?
    Quote Originally Posted by edoan View Post
    I work at one of the world's largest companies doing Linux software ... I have a good idea about GPL. :-) My question was more directed at a) potential TiVoization, b) if Palm would pull a fast one like Linksys did years ago when the WRT54G first came out; IIRC, Linksys played dumb and didn't release source code until someone discovered it was, in fact, running with GNU/Linux.
    That doesn't seem to be the case here. Palm has admitted that Linux is running on Foleo. If they don't release the source for the GPL code, then they will likely get very little, if any, support from the GPL community. This seems contrary to their business model for the foleo.

Unlike a black box router or TV console, the foleo has a terminal allowing access to the OS. It wouldn't take long to figure out of Palm is pulling a fast one with respect to the GPL.

Greg
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    I doubt they will try to fooleo us.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.