Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Sorry if this has been asked before (I searched "instant messaging" here and didn't find anything) but will the Foleo be capable of instant messaging?
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    There was no mention of an IM client from Palm, but you probably could use a web-based service fairly well.
  3.    #3  
    ahh...like meebo?! *fingers crossed*
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    BTW, it seems the Apple iPhone web apps could actually be a boon to the Foleo if they end up being usable enough.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Maybe someone could check out aimexpress.aol.com for us?

I use aim all the time. And I will be very disappointed if a solution is never created, but I really expect a program to be made not too long after it's release. But if aim express works on it. Or meebo.com. Then there isn't too much to worry about.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
  6.    #6  
    ok, here's hoping...I'll ask tomorrow at the sneak peek
    Yeah, a good IM app would be a necessity. As I've said elsewhere though, since Verichat's been dead we don't even have a good POS app for IM, let alone one for the Foleo.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Yeah, a good IM app would be a necessity. As I've said elsewhere though, since Verichat's been dead we don't even have a good POS app for IM, let alone one for the Foleo.
    Can anyone explain to me why they want an IM app for the Foleo if we can use the Treo to IM others?

Although I have desktop at home and office, I only use IM in my Treo. The reason of using IM is because you want people to reach you or reach them anytime and anywhere. When you are in the queue in Supermarket, public transport, cinema etc., you simply take out your Treo to chat with your buddy.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post
    Can anyone explain to me why they want an IM app for the Foleo if we can use the Treo to IM others? ...
    Ease of typing? If I'm in the airport or Starbucks and I can whip out my Foleo to chat someone up while I enjoy my beverage I would prefer that to typing on the Treo.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Personally I would like to see Pidgin as it supports multiple IM clients. Now that would be way cool!
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Hopefully Trillian Astra's web version will work on the foleo
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    Hopefully Trillian Astra's web version will work on the foleo
    I entirely agree with that. Also, it'd be nice if they made a Treo version as a native palm app to work with their backend.
  13.    #13  
    its easy to chat via treo but when i'm sitting at a cafe having coffee, checking email (on the foleo), i think it's a bit easier to use the keyboard in front of me...rather than having to keep going back and forth. treo. foleo. treo. foleo. i just want to type on one device!!! bahh!!
    Last edited by michelle; 07/19/2007 at 10:46 AM.
    Can anyone explain to me why they want an IM app for the Foleo if we can use the Treo to IM others?
    The cost. Wifi is free. Data plan is not. and if you plan to use webcams or something that will cost a lot.
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts

Although I have desktop at home and office, I only use IM in my Treo. The reason of using IM is because you want people to reach you or reach them anytime and anywhere. When you are in the queue in Supermarket, public transport, cinema etc., you simply take out your Treo to chat with your buddy.
    I use IM to communicate with clients and my team members, and basically it allows everyone to be in a long, extended conversation throughout the day to work out issues and bounce ideas off each other. I know lots of people in tech use IM for this.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts

I have two screen names. One that I use on my laptop, one dedicated to my treo. As easy it is to type on the Treo, (People are definitely surprised when I tell them that I'm typing from my phone.) it still doesn't compare to typing on a full sized keyboard.

It also allows the use of other programs that I don't want to get interrupted. For instance, I might want to have an audio book playing on my treo, but it would keep on get interrupted by incoming message alerts, so it would be more practical to be chatting on a different machine, such as the Foleo.

17.    #17  
    ^ amen...3 more hours till i get to see one
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Oh oops... haha... I didn't even check what time the event starts. So I got plenty of time.

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Well.. As soon as Foleo is running Linux I am really afraid that first enthusiast-driven IM projects for Foleo will be based on current IMs for Linux, such as SIM, which I don't really like. I experienced several troubles with contact list syncronisation - lots of contacts been missing.
    Mundu is the best IM on Palm right now.. I hope ithey will make Foleo IM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast