View Poll Results: Will you buy a Foleo?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep, as soon as they are available

31 37.35%
  • Have not decided yet, but am looking forward to seeing one.

26 31.33%
  • Nope, not me.

26 31.33%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    My wife just started working with Palm again, which means I can get a fat discount and am now thinking a Foleo may be in my future. But I'd never pay full price and unless the cost of the Foleo gets down to ~$300 with her discount I likely still won't bite.

How many people actually are waiting for this to go on sale?
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    I want to see it in the flesh first, and be assured that it will work with my BlackBerry before I take the plunge.
    Palm IIIx > m505 > Tungsten T > T5 > Red BlackBerry Pearl 8110 (only device work IT will allow!)
    it should be under $200 to be a bit more palatable.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I'm going down to the Palm store the day it's available, and I'm probably going to buy one. Especially if they have one on display to play around with.
  5. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    I'd buy one, no question. But i haven't accumulated the funds yet so it would definitely not be on release day.
    I'll commit after two things:

(1) I see one (hopefully Thurs at the sneak-peek)
    (2) Wait for some reviews, more 3rd party announcements, deals with developers

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    I'm surprised we haven't already heard about more 3rd party apps. That makes it seem unlikely there will be many
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    The dealbreakers for me:

1. Lower it to $300 to $400
    2. Support for tabbed browsing
    3. Instant messenger
    4. RSS reader
    5. Support to play movies (even half the screen size is okay)
    6. Support to play at least mp3s

According to Ben, even if the foleo does not support these functions right away doesn't mean that it won't. This is quite reassuring, however, given the history of Palm's after product support (ex 700p saga & the lifedrive), it seems to me that Palm will focus the first 6 to 12 months on fixing bugs in the foleo. This is good as the product needs to be rock solid, however, for the product to continue its value, it should have added functions later in its life cycle. For me, it seems Palm is lacking on the added functionality for most of their product line.

Most likely they will just leave it to 3rd party developers to add these functions in the future. Sigh..

I do hope that 3rd party developers will eventually support the foleo for these functions (wishful thinking)
    v 2.0 maybe heheh.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    The thing is I wouldn't want to have to spend $100+ to get what should be on the device by default.
    Quote Originally Posted by harps View Post
    I want to see it in the flesh first, and be assured that it will work with my BlackBerry before I take the plunge.
    Then you're going to have to keep waiting, cuz they've said all along it will only work with Treos (VersaMail and Pocket Outlook) at the outset.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    I want to see and hold one before making a decision. At the current price point I won't buy one via the web and then return it if I'm not satisfied. Since there are no Palm stores where I live I'll have to wait until it shows up in Best Buy or some other store.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Quote Originally Posted by braj View Post
    I'm surprised we haven't already heard about more 3rd party apps. That makes it seem unlikely there will be many
    Keep is mind that the Linux development arena is much more decentralized than the commercial development arena typified by Microsoft. Much of the software is developed by communities not unlike TC. These communities won't announce plans to support Foleo until someone gets their hands on one, or at least until Palm announces what type of Linux is running on Foleo. My guess is that it will be a good 6-8 months after the launch of the Foleo before we see any real interest from the GNU communities.

Make no mistake about it though, there are SOOO many applications out there that could find their way into the foleo.

I for one plan on putting together a Samba solution for my Foleo when I get it this August so that I can mount shares on my Windows Networks.

Greg
    I just got in from the DC Sneak Peek and that sealed the deal for me. I was impressed...no, overjoyed, no, ok, well you get the point. It is THE perfect device for me. That is the key to the whole thing. For some people, it won't fit their needs. As for myself, it's perfection. I can edit documents, work on a spreadsheet or two, have readable info to show others at my fingertips, toss up a power point presentation, check the office email, edit my calendar, update contacts.....suffice it to say, I can't wait for the day I pick mine up.
    The machine I used tonight had some of the apps installed. PIM was alot like outlook. There was also an ID app, similar to Splash ID, some games, etc. I didn't pay alot of attention to those details, I was more interested in switching between apps, the connectivity, etc.
    Mal, make sure you don't let the beach get in your way. You HAVE to get to that Sneak Peek!
    My Treo: I think I'll keep her. All dressed up for prom and her date Foleo stood her up
    After giving it a lot of thought and weighed the possiblities, I believe that I will be owning one. My only question that continues to remain is whether the Blackberry Connect will work as one of the email accounts in the Foleo mail application. It is an account in Versamail, once set up. If so, that will do it for me completely.
    IIIc-iPaq 3500, 3900, 2200, 4300-i705-SX56,SX66-T-T2-TC-600-650-8125-8525-8700-Pearl-680-iPhone-Tilt-AT&T Centro

There cant be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.

I will, definitely.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Noleo!
    BB GoAmerica > BB Earthlink > Verizon Treo 600 > Sprint Treo 650 > Sprint Treo 700p > Sprint Treo 755p & Sprint MotoQ
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    As before:
    Professionally:
    - drop another $100 off the price.
    - have an available RDP or ICA client for remote desktop
    - a real mail client with full IMAP support.
    Personally:
    - drop $150 off the price
    - Include a coremedia type app
    - full browser implementation

Then the business and/or personal 1PTUser is in.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
    8/22 guys! 8/22...
    i want one!
    Quote Originally Posted by fairoasis View Post
    Mal, make sure you don't let the beach get in your way. You HAVE to get to that Sneak Peek!
    Oh no beach...in fact we're flooded in these parts! I couldn't even get in to NYC today due to the LIRR being down.

But I'll be there tomorrow...with all of these positive reports coming, I wouldn't miss it.

I do find it telling that after everyone actually sees and plays with one, how convinced they are of the quality and usefulness of the device. Palm always nails aesthetics in these areas, so it's good to see those reports coming in.

Plus the schwag bag looks nice, lol. It'll go well with my Palm mousepad and t-shirt that I happen to have come across. ;-)

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast