View Poll Results: Will you buy a Foleo?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep, as soon as they are available

31 37.35%
  • Have not decided yet, but am looking forward to seeing one.

26 31.33%
  • Nope, not me.

26 31.33%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Two things about this. I'm going to buy a Foleo because of what it does today, not what it may do tomorrow. This is a specious argument on your part as no one should buy something with the idea that "oh later they'll add more". That has to be the dumbest rationale ever for buying a device and is not a legitimate complaint. If you are not sold on the idea of the Foleo today, then there is little chance you will be later, so why waste the time on debating this?

1. You should tell that to iPhone buyers who are saying "Apple will add it later", what they should have put on in the first place! Yet they ran out and gave up their $600 easily. I've also seen some potential Foleo buyers on this board say similar things. They know it doesn't have all they want now, yet they will still get it. I WOULD have been sold on the concept had they not limited the device so much at time of release, but still raised the price so high. Also, how many people bought the Treo 750 with the promise of that HSDPA update and also the WM6 update? YES, people have been proven to buy things on the promises of manufacturers. Some anyway.

2. It's a legit complaint when the companies are saying they'll add more later to the current devices, but don't really say anything about when. Yet they want your $600 NOW.

As for the wifi, I know carriers have some input(at least I know ATT hates wifi), but I really don't see why others have no problem putting wifi on their phones and Palm has never done even ONE, not even in an unlocked version. Every wifi phone I've seen that got wifi removed by the carriers has an unlocked full version available. Even Sony Ericsson now has one! HTC has also given us more features on their phones than Palm has done, so I'm not going to be yelling at them any time soon!

HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Well, you know I have no love for the iPhoners who did as you said and yes, I know there are quite a few, but honestly (a) those people are the exception and (b) Apple is an exception as they usually satisfy their base!

Now lets be clear: I hate the carriers. They are the biggest impediment to innovation in smartphones, yet they are the access to the network.

Palm needs to get its act together, no doubt. I think they are, but with a company releasing products, you don't see this "turn around" for at least 12 months after the changes have been made. With their new "partners", their re-purchase of Garnet, and POSII coming...I think they will "catch up" but we won't notice till mid-2008.

I also keep in mind this about the Foleo: They did not want to release it this quickly but were forced to by competition releasing similar products. That is, the Foleo feels half complete because it is...but that is not how Palm wanted to release it.

We can argue that they should have done all of this 2 years ago but that is besides the point: they are where they are, so I'm willing to give them a chance.

They're the underdogs here who have been mismanaged. But I still agree with their philosophy.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by ambtreo View Post
    Noleo!
    Dittoleo, hell noleo!
    Would that be US carriers only, Malatesta? Because they don't seem to have these watered down phone problems in Europe and Asia. If so, I certainly agree that US carriers are either really backwards, too controlling, clueless, or maybe all 3!!

As for Palm, they are now the "try to catch up with current things" guys. At least after they changed from Handspring. They should try to get AHEAD of the game again!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Would that be US carriers only, Malatesta? Because they don't seem to have these watered down phone problems in Europe and Asia. If so, I certainly agree that US carriers are either really backwards, too controlling, clueless, or maybe all 3!!
    Yes. In the U.S. the big 4 have way too much control. Now two caveats:

(1) iPhone shattered that model. I think it will be the exception though. AT&T surrendered a tremendous amount of autonomy to Apple. But it's the only explanation why such an "radical" phone got into the market: Apple had free reign. Big kudos to them for that but Palm could never get such a commitment.

(2) Sprint & Wimax: Read Mace's take on why Wimax may change some of this for Sprint: here.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    As for Palm, they are now the "try to catch up with current things" guys. At least after they changed from Handspring. They should try to get AHEAD of the game again!
    They know what's at stake. They also know how constrained they are but lets hope...

If not Palm, who else? HTC, Moto, Samsung?

HTC is pretty good, the rest I can take or leave. Actually, I'd love to see an ASUS CDMA device...

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    "As for the wifi, I know carriers have some input(at least I know ATT hates wifi), but I really don't see why others have no problem putting wifi on their phones and Palm has never done even ONE, not even in an unlocked version. Every wifi phone I've seen that got wifi removed by the carriers has an unlocked full version available. Even Sony Ericsson now has one! HTC has also given us more features on their phones than Palm has done, so I'm not going to be yelling at them any time soon!

AT&T hates Wi-Fi so much that they made all their US hot spots available for free to their DSL Extreme customers.
    IIIc-iPaq 3500, 3900, 2200, 4300-i705-SX56,SX66-T-T2-TC-600-650-8125-8525-8700-Pearl-680-iPhone-Tilt-AT&T Centro

There cant be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.

And took off wifi on several phones that originally had it from the factory. They sure don't like cellular customers to have it!

Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Doesn't the BB 8820 have wifi?
    At first I was going to buy one, but now I'm going get the Asus EEE 701 instead. I love the Palm OS, but the Foleo doesn't have it. It doesn't even come with basic PIM functions. What's up with that?
    At first I was going to buy one, but now I'm going get the Asus EEE 701 instead. I love the Palm OS, but the Foleo doesn't have it. It doesn't even come with basic PIM functions. What's up with that?
    Same here. But I won't buy ASUS EEE either, keyboard crampy, screen too small, casing plastic not as good as Foleo. Quite have some heat, and no Bluetooth.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234