View Poll Results: Will you buy a Foleo?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep, as soon as they are available

31 37.35%
  • Have not decided yet, but am looking forward to seeing one.

26 31.33%
  • Nope, not me.

26 31.33%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    It appears not to be even a good Treo companion.
    IIIc-iPaq 3500, 3900, 2200, 4300-i705-SX56,SX66-T-T2-TC-600-650-8125-8525-8700-Pearl-680-iPhone-Tilt-AT&T Centro

There cant be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.

Actually they WEREN'T clear on this board. There were those who claimed that the Foleo will not be tied only to Treos. That was the only main thing the Foleo had going for it at the price it is. If I have to pay $600 for a device that won't even sync with any other phones(or I have to wait too long for that functionality), no thanks! Now it's claimed on here that it won't even support all Treos unless it's a 700 and up! What kind of sense does that make?

Oh maybe they want everyone with older Treos to run out and pay another $400 for a new one, plus another $600 for the Foleo.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Actually they WEREN'T clear on this board. There were those who claimed that the Foleo will not be tied only to Treos.
    Not quite sure where there was room for discussion. The original press release stated the following
    Foleo mobile companions work with Palm's Treo(TM) smartphones (Palm OS(R) and Windows Mobile(R) versions). However, Palm believes that most smartphones based on Windows Mobile should work with little or no modification. Smartphones based on operating systems from Research in Motion, Apple, and Symbian likely can be supported with a modest software effort. The Foleo's synchronization architecture is open, and Palm expects to work with third-party developers to support as many smartphones as possible.
    It makes it very clear in that that currently Treos are supported, and in the future after some software work, other phones will probably be.
    Even the press release is a bit unclear and unspecific.

Palm believes that most smartphones based on Windows Mobile should work with little or no modification. Do other Windows devices work or not?

Smartphones based on operating systems from Research in Motion, Apple, and Symbian likely can be supported with a modest software effort. So how long do other phone users have to wait? No wonder others thought you could use the Foleo without a Treo! Palm gets hopes up with that statement, but then crashes them down!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    [COLOR="Navy"]Actually they WEREN'T clear on this board...
    Actually "they" AREN'T officially represented on this board. Anything you read on this board is opinion. I'd bet even bcombee wouldn't claim to officially represent Palm even though he is an employee.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts

Palm believes that most smartphones based on Windows Mobile should work with little or no modification. Do other Windows devices work or not?

Smartphones based on operating systems from Research in Motion, Apple, and Symbian likely can be supported with a modest software effort. So how long do other phone users have to wait? No wonder others thought you could use the Foleo without a Treo! Palm gets hopes up with that statement, but then crashes them down!
    They're focusing on the newer Treo's at this point with no hard commitment for other phones. They're just covering their bases as companies are wont to do. They didn't list all the phones that will work with the Foleo so you can't complain too loudly.

I do think they should have stated that the Foleo will work with the newer Treos instead of the more generic statement that it will work with Treo Smartphones which implies ALL Treos. In fact they should have listed the Treo models that will be supported especially since the list would be pretty stinkin short.

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    If they go with 7XX phones only, it will eliminate POS for any current GSM phone. That is a large group.
    IIIc-iPaq 3500, 3900, 2200, 4300-i705-SX56,SX66-T-T2-TC-600-650-8125-8525-8700-Pearl-680-iPhone-Tilt-AT&T Centro

PhoneDiva, be realistic for a second: there are over 100+ WM devices on the market, all modified by the OEM with different AKU builds and hardware. To presume that Palm could say "yes" or "no" to all of them is silly. Note even software companies would commit to that, they always list the same 5 or 6 generic WM devices when the software is released.

Having said that, I really don't see why most WM devices wouldn't work. Still, it seems a moot point of a device that is not released yet.
    So how long do other phone users have to wait? No wonder others thought you could use the Foleo without a Treo! Palm gets hopes up with that statement, but then crashes them down![/COLOR]
    Well, they have to wait until it's ported over. And who are these mysterious "others" you're using to stand behind?

Palm has stated their intention: to get this to work on every mobile device with 3g support i.e. modern devices, regardless if they are "smartphones" or not. That's a lot of phones. This is also a brand new platform, so why not wait for it come out first?

Obviously their core is the Treo, so that is their main concern. Now in regards to the 650/680, that sounds like yet-another-side-effect of the Access takeover of POS, which prevented them from doing extensive modifications to get it to work. Certainly unfortunate, but it also sounds like they are trying to work on it. I think one needs to separate the notion 'they can't do it' versus 'they don't want to do it'. It would seem the case here is the former, not the latter and to position it any different seems to be over-generalizing.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot View Post
    Actually "they" AREN'T officially represented on this board. Anything you read on this board is opinion. I'd bet even bcombee wouldn't claim to officially represent Palm even though he is an employee.
    True... I'm basically treating the board here as an extended "sneek-peak" event. There is stuff I can't talk about, and people should be reading my posts with the knowledge that I'm very biased towards the device. However, I am making an effort to try to be honest about its capabilities. I think it solves a lot of needs, but I wouldn't claim that everyone should have one or that it is a better device for every need.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcombee View Post
    True... I'm basically treating the board here as an extended "sneek-peak" event. There is stuff I can't talk about, and people should be reading my posts with the knowledge that I'm very biased towards the device. However, I am making an effort to try to be honest about its capabilities. I think it solves a lot of needs, but I wouldn't claim that everyone should have one or that it is a better device for every need.
    I just wish that we could clear up the 650/680 issue one way or another. Thanks for what input you have already provided.

Quote Originally Posted by electroman View Post
    I just wish that we could clear up the 650/680 issue one way or another. Thanks for what input you have already provided.
    I second that. I am very happy with my unlocked Treo 650. I like PalmOS and I like GSM. Asking to give up one of those (plus the associated additional $ investment for a new phone) to use the Foleo is significant for me.

I am also grateful for the information and answers bcombee has been able to provide. Thanks for taking the time!
    Visor Platinum w/ VisorPhone > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    bcombee, can you offer any insight into the decision to not support the 650 (and possibly the 680) as is being reported?

Quote Originally Posted by bcombee View Post
    If I am Paul and the rest of the PRPRPR $folks$ $at$ $Palm$ $Ben$, $I$'$d$ $be$ $commending$ $you$. $You$ $really$ $are$ $doing$ $a$ $great$ $job$ $of$ $answering$ $the$ $things$ $you$ $can$, $and$ $others$ $are$ $just$ $kinda$ $left$ $for$ $good$/$lively$ $discussion$. $Thanks$ $for$ $your$ $views$.

You mention that you have a bias towards the Foleo...uhmmm. Mind if I pick your brain after the Foleo goes on sale towards that side of computing? I think (know )you might have something that many are missing on the side of the place for the Foleo vs other mobile computing devices.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Malatesta, what I mean is how can they call it a MOBILE companion with limited phone model support, plus they can't even tell us what other phones will or will not be supported! They are being vague in their press release, you can't really tell what they plan on doing. But we pay $600 and wait for them to do what? Figure out what phones besides new Treos they want to support? And in the meantime all I can use is one phone on a $600 device?

No thank you!

Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Malatesta, what I mean is how can they call it a MOBILE companion with limited phone model support, plus they can't even tell us what other phones will or will not be supported! They are being vague in their press release, you can't really tell what they plan on doing. But we pay $600 and wait for them to do what? Figure out what phones besides new Treos they want to support? And in the meantime all I can use is one phone on a $600 device?

No thank you!
    Maybe they expect 3rd parties to make the phones compatible Sounds stupid but does sound like Palm.

No thank you!
    I'm not sure why this is so confusing for you:

Ed Colligan stated the Foleo will eventually support "any broadband phone", with the obvious caveat "over time" since they can't possibly add every device right away. They'll probably do the biggies first: modern Treos (done), WM devices (done), BB (soon), Symbian (soon)...and down the line (iPhone, Razr, etc.). Combine that with the news that Palm was forced to up the release date sooner than they had wanted, none of this is too surprising.

Are you somehow being coerced into buying the Foleo against your wishes? Why would you buy a device that does not explicitly state it will support your phone?

When they support BB, Symbian, etc., they will announce it. When they actually release the Foleo, I'm sure they'll have a more specific "requirements" list. Why is this so complicated?

It's not confusing, it's too VAGUE as to what it's going to do in the future, is what I'm trying to say! And because of that, the Foleo is overpriced at this time, for being so limited.

I'm just saying why I don't think it's worth it to buy right now. JMO.

Remember Palm saying "Treos will have wifi in time". Similar thing, WHEN? We haven't seen it yet! What does "in the future" mean to Palm? They are just too vague.

It's not confusing, it's too VAGUE as to what it's going to do in the future, is what I'm trying to say! And because of that, the Foleo is overpriced at this time, for being so limited.

I'm just saying why I don't think it's worth it to buy right now. JMO.

Remember Palm saying "Treos will have wifi in time". Similar thing, WHEN? We haven't seen it yet! What does "in the future" mean to Palm? They are just too vague.
    I understand your argument (though I find it specious since you are going to buy an iPhone eventually; evidently that over-priced and severely limited device is okay, lol) but honestly, a few software updates to support other devices is much easier, since as Palm even stated: they don't have to go through carriers for once.

I just don't see how "adding wifi to the Treo line" compares to adding device support.

Palm stated their goals for the Foleo: to support all broadband phones.

That is pretty clear to me and I'm not sure why it is vague. Is Apple every clear or forthright about their devices? Right now, they are focused on launching the Foleo with strong Treo support and nailing down it's core functions. Once it's out, they can concentrate on the other aspects. Should they give a time-frame? Maybe, maybe not. It's a brand new platform that's not out yet. It needs some time to grow, no?

Fact is, until they support your device, you are not forced to buy one, so why not just sit tight and wait to see what happens? (although, once again, I think you putting these arguments out but you have no intention of ever getting one at the stated price, so why does what devices it support even matter?)

Furthermore, the Treo/Wifi thing has more to do with carriers allowing it than Palm wanting to put it in. If Sprint or Verizon say "we don't want a Treo with Wifi", guess what? So how can Palm promise anything? Just like every OEM out there: you are not the customer, the carriers are.

Sure, after the iPhone gets the updates it needs, I may look at it again. That's also pretty vague though. Apple mentions updates, but HOW LONG? They are both throwing out teasers, but no real time frame. "Future" could mean 10 yrs. from now for all we know!

And other makers have wifi on their phones, I seriously don't think it's ALL on the carriers! Palm threw out that bone once again when the 750 came out. "We'll put it on when the time is right". What does THAT mean? It sounds like an answer but it's NOT! Another vague Palm NON-answer!

Palm stated their goals for the Foleo: to support all broadband phones.
    This statement IS vague when they give no approximate time table. Will it be in the next 2 yrs? 5, 10 yrs? What are we looking at here?

I know I'm not FORCED to buy either the iPhone or the Foleo, but I'm amazed at how they both want your $500-$600 NOW, then make you wait for whatever expansions they decide to do in the future, whenever that may be! This what's leaving a bad taste in my mouth more than anything. It's how they're selling these things, not that the products are bad.

Pay big bucks now, then they'll get around to putting on what it should have had on there in the first place. However, since Apple has been shown to release updates often for other products, at this rate the iPhone may be fully ready before the Foleo is ready to support more phones and be a TRUE mobile companion.

They are both throwing out teasers, but no real time frame. "Future" could mean 10 yrs. from now for all we know!
    Who is your reference point for doing otherwise? HTC doesn't release dates on MR/ROM updates, neither does Motorola or Samsung. Does anyone release spot on dates? MS is notorious for missing deadlines. The "10 years from now" is certainly hyperbole. The fact is they said they will offer support. The rest is up to them for getting it out, but it only benefits them to do it sooner than later. Like I said, with no carrier approval here, updates should be a lot smoother and quicker.
    And other makers have wifi on their phones, I seriously don't think it's ALL on the carriers! Palm threw out that bone once again when the 750 came out. "We'll put it on when the time is right". What does THAT mean? It sounds like an answer but it's NOT! Another vague Palm NON-answer!
    Sprint has one: 6800
    Verizon has one: 6700 (soon 6800)
    AT&T has technically three, iPhone & 8525 and the old 8100. Obviously the iPhone is the exception to the rule on everything (activation, branding, servicing, features, etc.)
    T-mobile has like four HTC Dash, N6086, SE GC89, Wing

You don't notice a pattern here? 3g networks have one-device, AT&T has 2 and T-mobile (virtually no 3g) has 4. No offense phone diva, you talk a lot but you gloss over the facts. Having Wifi on a device is up to the carrier, not the OEM. Hence why Palm has to be "vague". (This may change with Sprint and Wimax).

You seem to hold Palm to a higher and different standard then every other OEM out there. Look at the brand new Sprint Mogul: no GPS. Why? It is easy enough to put in there as other HTC devices have it. Why is there not one WM standalone GPS device in the U.S. market? Only the BB on Sprint has GPS for smartphones. Look at the facts not what you think.
    This statement IS vague when they give no approximate time table. Will it be in the next 2 yrs? 5, 10 yrs? What are we looking at here?
    Who knows? It is in Palm's best interest to get it out sooner than later. You act like Palm is being purposefully non-forthright to deceive you as opposed to the realities of the situation. They're a small company: 1,200 employees? Wait to the device comes out and see what happens. What's the rush here?
    I know I'm not FORCED to buy either the iPhone or the Foleo, but I'm amazed at how they both want your $500-$600 NOW, then make you wait for whatever expansions they decide to do in the future, whenever that may be! This what's leaving a bad taste in my mouth more than anything. It's how they're selling these things, not that the products are bad.

Pay big bucks now, then they'll get around to putting on what it should have had on there in the first place. However, since Apple has been shown to release updates often for other products, at this rate the iPhone may be fully ready before the Foleo is ready to support more phones and be a TRUE mobile companion.
    This is all conjecture.

I'm going to buy a Foleo because of what it does today, not what it may do tomorrow. This is a specious argument on your part as no one should buy something with the idea that "oh later they'll add more". That has to be the dumbest rationale ever for buying a device and is not a legitimate complaint. If you are not sold on the idea of the Foleo today, then there is little chance you will be later, so why waste the time on debating this?

Palm and Apple charge more for their devices because of two reasons

(1) The simplicity and customization of the GUI
    (2) High quality

People can't talk about the ASUS EEE devices, but we all know they are cheap, junky plastic that will not be as refined. Just like how comparing a cheap Wal-Mart PC to an Apple desktop in pure features is also missing the mark.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast