View Poll Results: Will you buy a Foleo?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep, as soon as they are available

31 37.35%
  • Have not decided yet, but am looking forward to seeing one.

26 31.33%
  • Nope, not me.

26 31.33%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    at last! I am going to the sneak peek in SF tomorrow and I am sure that will just convince me to shell out the dough and make me go, "...what iPhone?"
    Mal, make sure you let us know what you think. After seeing it, some of us here (the ones that don't want to know Linux this, processor that, etc) are loving the simplicity and the usefulness of this Foleo. I will find it refreshing to have a device that does what I need it to do without having to worry about the usual update this, tweak that, virus scan this, firewall that, crap.
    Have fun!!!!
    My Treo: I think I'll keep her. All dressed up for prom and her date Foleo stood her up
    i agree. simple is good, which is very appealing to me. i'll report back tomorrow on my findings too. and maybe a few pics if i can snap any
    Personally, I'm quite excited. I've tried owning a laptop before, but always found that I simply didn't end up using it much.

The idea of a small solid state device with long battery life focused on making specific and often-needed functionality mobile is just what I want. Laptops/notebooks that try to be a desktop are frustrating (short battery life, hot, bulky, etc.) The Foleo is the kind of thing a mobile product should be, IMHO.

Sure, it won't be for everyone (those needing specific applications or other functions that require the power and flexibility of a full laptop), but for what it does, it looks like it could do well and conveniently.

Plus, I've been meaning to get into Linux, and this might be a great way to start. I can only guess at what the open source community will come up with for a hardware platform like this. I wouldn't be surprised at all if projects to re-purpose the Foleo as a more general Linux computing platform pop up shortly after release (similar to the i-Opener).

I'll definitely be checking it out in person as soon as I can, and may well buy one.
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    I', wondering how Chinese character support will be. My wife loves to read crazy Chinese stories on the web. Of course she loves YouTube too. Ok, maybe this isn't for her
    spurdy, more power to you. totally agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by braj View Post
    I', wondering how Chinese character support will be. My wife loves to read crazy Chinese stories on the web. Of course she loves YouTube too. Ok, maybe this isn't for her
    The Foleo supports Unicode, according to Ben Combee, so Chinese character support shouldn't be a problem.
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    The Foleo supports Unicode, according to Ben Combee, so Chinese character support shouldn't be a problem.
    Nice
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    Well, yes and no. While Unicode and UTF-8 are used in the system, for display purposes, you'll still need a font that has the Chinese characters included. The fonts we're including right now only support the Western European character set.

I have seen one of our testers load a Korean font on the device and use that for testing the internationalization support, but I've not seen those fonts be used in the Web Browser yet. I'll be interested to see what people find out works when its released.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by braj View Post
    In response to your question I tried this page (http://www.chinapost.com.tw/guidepost/ -- found it through Google and the Chinese characters did not render in the browser. Just an empty placeholder box for each character.

But as the Palm folks kept reminding me the product isn't finalized yet so this could come later, especially if they localize it.
    Uh-oh. It looks like Foleo won't support my beloved unlocked GSM 650?

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...9&postcount=97

If this is true, it would impact my purchase decision heavily. I'm not ready to upgrade my phone (the trusty 650 meets my needs currently), so effectively pushing the purchase price up several hundred to get a new phone would be a real bummer.
    Quote Originally Posted by spurdy View Post
    Uh-oh. It looks like Foleo won't support my beloved unlocked GSM 650?

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...9&postcount=97

If this is true, it would impact my purchase decision heavily. I'm not ready to upgrade my phone (the trusty 650 meets my needs currently), so effectively pushing the purchase price up several hundred to get a new phone would be a real bummer.

This will impact my decision greatly, also. I had it mapped out already.
    IIIc-iPaq 3500, 3900, 2200, 4300-i705-SX56,SX66-T-T2-TC-600-650-8125-8525-8700-Pearl-680-iPhone-Tilt-AT&T Centro

There cant be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.

Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    I agree spurdy. No support for the 650 is a real bummer. I'm with T-Mobile so am waiting to see what is going to happen with their 3G roll-out and if they'll pick up another Treo (doubtful but I'm hopeful). I really don't want to switch to another carrier just to have a Foleo. However if T-Mo doesn't wow me with their 3G stuff I may have to. It's going to be expensive one way or the other. I'm trying to figure out how to convince my DW that I need to spend the money.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Yeah, that's too bad. I also have a 650, and am waiting for a bigger leap than the 755p before I upgrade... but I can live without pairing the two for now. Since my primary reason for wanting it isn't email and/or pims. But that's still too bad. That email button'll be staring at me.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    I know Im going to buy one, but not the day it comes out I'll give it a couple of months.
    Very interesting how 75 pct of responders are at least interested in this device now. I know my vote has changed since I saw it in person.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    No 680. No Foleo. Sorry Palm.
    I asked more than once and people on here said the Foleo could be used with other phones also, but now the answer is NO??

I'll just buy a small travel laptop with my $600! It will sync with everything!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    Then you're going to have to keep waiting, cuz they've said all along it will only work with Treos (VersaMail and Pocket Outlook) at the outset.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I asked more than once and people on here said the Foleo could be used with other phones also, but now the answer is NO??
    They've been very clear about that since the beginning, that at launch, the Foleo would only support Treos, with support for other phones to come after.
    And when foleo support many many phone, that's the time I will buy it, if not.. forget it. If it is just support treo, then Palm should change foleo category as Treo companion, not mobile companion.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast