Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 189
  1. wlmoore's Avatar
    Posts
    127 Posts
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
       #161  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcombee View Post
    Yes, the keyboard has symbols on those number keys that show the usage... it's similar to the Fn functions you see on the F-keys on a Dell laptop. There is no embedded numberpad or NumLock.
    Aha, yep the Alt key labels are right there: http://socialnews.palm.com/uploads/Palm%20Foleo_64.jpg How'd I miss that? Jolly good. Carry on.

    I'm glad there's no NumLock. Hate the NumLock. Especially when I need to type a password.
  2. emajy's Avatar
    Posts
    246 Posts
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    #162  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninKSB View Post
    If you don't mind, those that have had a hands on, please comment on the actual communication between the Treo and the Foleo. There has been precious little of that so far in this thread and this is supposed to be the primary feature! My reading of this thread indicates a focus of the Foleo's standalone function, I would like to hear some more comments on how it functions as a Treo companion.
    In NYC I did see the Treo sync email on one Foleo and on another it did not work. We tried to re-pair the Treo 755 and the Foleo and while I was watching it never did sync. We even tried a reset (it was interesting to see how quick the Foleo did reboot). So I am not sure how quick a sync will be if it has a large attachment. I know my 650 does not receive files very quickly from my notebook via BT. None of the demos files I saw were large. Even the PowerPoint slides were initially one slide.

    Ben maybe be able to comment on the speed of syncing large email attachments.
  3. roninksb's Avatar
    Posts
    90 Posts
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    #163  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I might be mistaken, I've never seen the Foleo or anything, but I think I read that the email app is the only one that syncs, since the bluetooth doesn't even support obex file exchange.
    This would be very disappointing, if true. I was under the impression that all of the out of the box apps synced: e-mail, docs to go and and maybe photos(?). And that mDayScape would sync the PIMs (accept memos?). In fact, my understanding is that the connection to the Treo made it such that if I type a word document or spreadsheet on the Foleo it would be saved on the Treo; and mDayScape would make it possible to enter an appointment or create a contact on the Foleo and it would appear on the Treo instantly; and that e-mail created on the Foleo would be mirrored on the Treo provided you are using Versamail.

    All of this sounds like a companion to my Treo not a mini laptop. Personally, I don't need or want yet another computer to maintain. However, I would consider purchasing a large screen/full sized keyboard device which helps me to maximize the use of the handheld computer that I carry everywhere, my Treo. To be honest, I thought this was what Palm was trying to market with the Foleo and that is the only reason I am interested. The fact they are having these demo gatherings and are not emphasizing these features (if they actually exist or work as expected) is a little disconcerting.
    Regards, RoninKSB
  4. #164  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninKSB View Post
    This would be very disappointing, if true. I was under the impression that all of the out of the box apps synced: e-mail, docs to go and and maybe photos(?). And that mDayScape would sync the PIMs (accept memos?). In fact, my understanding is that the connection to the Treo made it such that if I type a word document or spreadsheet on the Foleo it would be saved on the Treo; and mDayScape would make it possible to enter an appointment or create a contact on the Foleo and it would appear on the Treo instantly; and that e-mail created on the Foleo would be mirrored on the Treo provided you are using Versamail.

    All of this sounds like a companion to my Treo not a mini laptop. Personally, I don't need or want yet another computer to maintain. However, I would consider purchasing a large screen/full sized keyboard device which helps me to maximize the use of the handheld computer that I carry everywhere, my Treo. To be honest, I thought this was what Palm was trying to market with the Foleo and that is the only reason I am interested. The fact they are having these demo gatherings and are not emphasizing these features (if they actually exist or work as expected) is a little disconcerting.
    I agree, I hope the same thing, but my guess would be that it'll be a few software updates before that functionality works as we're hoping. I hope i'm wrong though.
  5. #165  
    I've already received my invite and replied, but since Doug posted here on TreoCentral, I just wanted to make sure that everyone who is actually reading this thread knows that they should be paying V E R Y careful attention to this posting....

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=148352

    You do realize what I'm talking about right?!?! RIGHT?!?!?!

    Get moving.... RIGHT NOW!!!
    Last edited by SteveNYC; 07/23/2007 at 07:52 PM.
  6. #166  
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC View Post
    I've already received my invite and replied, but since Doug posted here on TreoCentral, I just wanted to make sure that everyone who is actually reading this thread knows that they should be paying V E R Y careful attention to this posting....

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=148352

    You do realize what I'm talking about right?!?! RIGHT?!?!?!

    Get moving.... RIGHT NOW!!!
    Thanks for the tip. I applied, but I don't think I'll get selected because I use Chatter and not Versamail.
  7. harps70's Avatar
    Posts
    93 Posts
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    #167  
    I'm after the same thing as RoninKSB & jhoff80.
    I see the Foleo not as a laptop replacement but an extension of my BlackBerry so it needs to be able to view/sync files with the BB being the condute so to speak.
    Palm IIIx > m505 > Tungsten T > T5 > Red BlackBerry Pearl 8110 (only device work IT will allow!)
  8. #168  
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC View Post
    I've already received my invite and replied, but since Doug posted here on TreoCentral, I just wanted to make sure that everyone who is actually reading this thread knows that they should be paying V E R Y careful attention to this posting....

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=148352

    You do realize what I'm talking about right?!?! RIGHT?!?!?!

    Get moving.... RIGHT NOW!!!
    I was glad to see that the 680 was on the list for this. I currrently use Versamail and will be adding Blackberry Connect as soon as I get on the BES. Now the only questions that remain for me are:

    1- will the Foleo work with the 680 and
    2- if so, will Blackberry Connect sync with it since it is built into the Versamail application.

    If these work out, the Foleo will be a good companion for all that I do.
    IIIc-iPaq 3500, 3900, 2200, 4300-i705-SX56,SX66-T-T2-TC-600-650-8125-8525-8700-Pearl-680-iPhone-Tilt-AT&T Centro

    There cant be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.

  9. #169  
    First, we don't know for sure that the beta testing opportunity is for the Foleo or anything although thats the only new product that we know about.

    For the Foleo itself, I would think that they HAVE to support the 680, honestly. It might take a little work on their part, but I'd be willing to bet it'll work by the time the Foleo is released.
  10. #170  
    Maybe test the Linux version of Treo.
  11. z3bum's Avatar
    Posts
    717 Posts
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    #171  
    I went to the Foleo sneak preview at the Palm Union Station store in Washington DC last week. I can say, without a doubt, if you are looking for some good treats for dinner, go to one of these events!

    As the the Foleo... it is pretty neat. For $599, it would make a really cool kids laptop, or travel pc for someone who already has a desktop and just needs to type some emails.

    The Foleo absolutely isn't a laptop though, rather it is an emailing tool that allows you some limited working with attachments. I do think there are a few things it needs to do.
    - playing mp3s...
    - playing some sort of video, even if it is just Kinoma formatted files
    - Windows Remote Desktop
    - VPN compatible with PPTP

    The price point ought to be $399, though the initial $499 price (because of a rebate) might not be bad.

    We'll see what happens!
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
  12. dpc
    dpc is offline
    dpc's Avatar
    Posts
    433 Posts
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    #172  
    I think the Foleo would be good for students. Parents would buy it because it's relatively cheap (compared to a full-fledged laptop of equal size), it should be pretty sturdy with the flash memory, it's got the office suite with Dataviz, and it's got wifi so the kiddies can get their myspace on.

    Hey, i just realized something, does anyone know if it has an ethernet port?
  13. Gerorne's Avatar
    Posts
    506 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #173  
    No ethernet port.

    And I'm a student. And I think it'd fit me just fine. No having to anticipate when a class or organization meeting is going to end, to start the shutdown process, and insta on to quickly add any last minute information that might be thrown out by the teacher, or I need to add for a lab. It's great!
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

    Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
  14. #174  
    Just had this thought as I was checking on my Jaiku widget for Opera question at Jaiku:

    Does the Foleo work with Opera's widgets?

    If not, that would be one HUGE area where widgets could play the part of a solid part of the Foleo platform. So call it a feature request if its not already a part of the mix (thanks).
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

    Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  15. #175  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninKSB View Post
    All of this sounds like a companion to my Treo not a mini laptop. Personally, I don't need or want yet another computer to maintain. However, I would consider purchasing a large screen/full sized keyboard device which helps me to maximize the use of the handheld computer that I carry everywhere, my Treo. To be honest, I thought this was what Palm was trying to market with the Foleo and that is the only reason I am interested. The fact they are having these demo gatherings and are not emphasizing these features (if they actually exist or work as expected) is a little disconcerting.
    This IS what Palm is marketing. What you are reading in these (and other) threads is people trying to make the Foleo (rightfully so or not) into a mini-laptop. People only have a smartphone and laptop to base this device on, therefore perceptions versus reality will be off until folks get it into their hands. When that happens, clarity happens -- though I do admit that marketing should come before that lightbulb.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

    Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  16. roninksb's Avatar
    Posts
    90 Posts
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    #176  
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    What you are reading in these (and other) threads is people trying to make the Foleo (rightfully so or not) into a mini-laptop.
    I am also getting the impression from these posts that the Palm reps at these gatherings are letting the attendees shift focus from a Treo companion to a mini-laptop.

    From the posts I have read, I do not recall a single one that mentions a Treo actually paired (at the time of the meet up) with a Foleo; and I do not recall a single post that talks about a Foleo doing anything I mentioned above that it is supposed to do. I guess I can understand attendees trying to fit the Foleo into the paradigm they want but why are there no posts about a demo by a Palm rep at one of these meetings creating a Word document on the Foleo and the words with formatting instantaneously showing up on the Treo, stories of how once paired when you launch DocsToGo on the Foleo it launches DocsToGo on the Treo, a new doc is opened on the Foleo and it is mirrored on the Treo (or however it works). How about something as simply as, if the Treo is paired with a Foleo what happens when you get a call? Can you answer the call? Can you use a BT headset to do so?

    To me that is the crux of it. How does the Foleo do what they say it is supposed to do? Does it do it well? Is the BT connection flaky? Is it slow when data is moving between the two devices? If you touch type on the Foleo, does the Treo keep up? When the two are paired, does the Treo's screen stay on? When you disconnect the two devices does the e-mail that has been passed to the Foleo stay on the Foleo or does it have to 'get' the e-mail from the Treo each time they connect? Does the Foleo do its 'sync' with an out of the box Treo or are software updates or drivers on the Treos we already own going to be necessary?

    I could go on but the bottom line, for me is - I don't care what flavor of Linux is underneath, I don't care if it can be hacked to death but I do care if the thing works as intended. The rest is gravy.

    So here is my request, any attendees of future events (are there any left at this point?), hold off on the geekgasm with the Foleo until after you have put Palm's baseline claims about the device to test. Because, to my mind, if the thing can't meet Palm's actual claims about what it is supposed to do then it is not worth our time or our money.

    P.S. sorry for the rant.
    Regards, RoninKSB
  17. Gerorne's Avatar
    Posts
    506 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #177  
    Oh, you have no reason to be sorry. You've raised some good questions, that actually coincide more with how Palm has been marketing the machine.

    I think it's great the people are viewing the Foleo to be more than how Palm is marketing it. When people see more potential in it than Palm is saying it is intended to be used is a good thing. But on the flip side, it would be pretty horrible if it can't be used in the way that they're marketing it. (Although I'm not quite sure if they've said it could do all that your questions are asking.)
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

    Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
  18. #178  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninKSB View Post
    I am also getting the impression from these posts that the Palm reps at these gatherings are letting the attendees shift focus from a Treo companion to a mini-laptop.

    From the posts I have read, I do not recall a single one that mentions a Treo actually paired (at the time of the meet up) with a Foleo; and I do not recall a single post that talks about a Foleo doing anything I mentioned above that it is supposed to do. I guess I can understand attendees trying to fit the Foleo into the paradigm they want but why are there no posts about a demo by a Palm rep at one of these meetings creating a Word document on the Foleo and the words with formatting instantaneously showing up on the Treo, stories of how once paired when you launch DocsToGo on the Foleo it launches DocsToGo on the Treo, a new doc is opened on the Foleo and it is mirrored on the Treo (or however it works). How about something as simply as, if the Treo is paired with a Foleo what happens when you get a call? Can you answer the call? Can you use a BT headset to do so?

    To me that is the crux of it. How does the Foleo do what they say it is supposed to do? Does it do it well? Is the BT connection flaky? Is it slow when data is moving between the two devices? If you touch type on the Foleo, does the Treo keep up? When the two are paired, does the Treo's screen stay on? When you disconnect the two devices does the e-mail that has been passed to the Foleo stay on the Foleo or does it have to 'get' the e-mail from the Treo each time they connect? Does the Foleo do its 'sync' with an out of the box Treo or are software updates or drivers on the Treos we already own going to be necessary?

    I could go on but the bottom line, for me is - I don't care what flavor of Linux is underneath, I don't care if it can be hacked to death but I do care if the thing works as intended. The rest is gravy.

    So here is my request, any attendees of future events (are there any left at this point?), hold off on the geekgasm with the Foleo until after you have put Palm's baseline claims about the device to test. Because, to my mind, if the thing can't meet Palm's actual claims about what it is supposed to do then it is not worth our time or our money.

    P.S. sorry for the rant.

    I believe the reason for the apparent disconnect between the way the Foleo was presented by Jeff Hawkins + in ads versus the way it is being discussed + examined here and at the Sneek Previews is because Palm actually never intended to have to sell the Foleo as merely a "Treo companion". If you think about it, the market for something that is merely a Treo companion would be rather inconsequential. Unless Palm was only planning to sell a few thousand Foleos per year then there must be a lot more to the device than just being a Treo companion. If Palm had been able to finish all of the software that they had intended for the Foleo by now, I think we would be understanding their true plans for the device/platform a lot clearer.

    As far as I know, the only application that currently syncs between the Treo and the Foleo is email. Every application that is to sync will need to be written from the ground up both on the Treo side and on the Foleo side.

    I believe the real-time constant mirroring that you envision is unfortunately a pipe dream at this point in time.

    Documents To Go is mainly on the Foleo so you can view Word, Excel and PowerPoint files that you receive in emails as well as to edit those files when responding to emails. The Foleo will also let you do PowerPoint presentations independent of a full-fledged laptop, but then again, so can a 5 year old Palm PDA.

    So in summary, the Foleo lacks the software and the hardware specs to compete with "real" laptops, while it also lacks the software to completely mirror a Treo and act as a proper "companion". So where does that leave Palm? They have to market this somehow, so what would YOU do if you were in their position? If you come out and call it a laptop then people will look at the specs and the price and laugh you out of the room. If you call it a PDA, people will look at the large size, price and lack of apps and ignore you. But by holding onto the coattails of a popular device with good name recognition (Treo) and emphasizing that the Foleo somehow is designed to work especially well with the Treo, perhaps you would be able to get people to pay attention to the Foleo who otherwise would not have given it a second thought. Does Palm's dilemma make any more sense now? Or have I confused the issue even more?

    Any way you slice it, Palm seems to have its back up against the wall and their software people don't seem to be getting the job done in a timely manner.

    You haven't heard much about the Treo pairing with the Foleo because of several reasons:
    1) It's really not that impressive. So the Foleo can download email off a Treo. So what? Wouldn't it make a LOT more sense to just download it DIRECTLY to the Foleo either via Wi-Fi or using the phone as a modem instead? And in that case, why not just get a Windows laptop and avoid having to deal with the compromises seen in using non-Office apps?
    2) Palm actually seems to have been having a few problems with the pairings of phones to the Foleo. From what I've read, the pairings sometimes didn't work. Not a good thing if that pairing ability is the Foleo's claim to fame.
    3) Speed issues. The Foleo and Palm's Treos use Bluetooth 1.2. Guess how long it will take you to download a 5 MB email from a Treo using Bluetooth? It won't be pretty (assuming it will even work reliably). Again, compare this with downloading the email directly into a laptop's email program via Wi-Fi or using the Treo simply as a modem.
    4) Do you REALLY need to sync email on your Treo and bigger device? If email matters to you, why not just set up an IMAP account and either push or timed pull email on a regular Windows laptop?

    As it stands, the idea of Foleo as a phone's email "companion" seems pretty weak. Palm likely recognizes the "companion" angle won't stand up to scrutiny, so they are wisely attempting to push other features like instant on, build quality and the Foleo's POTENTIAL instead.

    An attempt to test email syncing was reported here:

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...3&postcount=24

    It was also verified that deleting an email in one device resulted in the deletion of the message in the paired device presumably as a passive process. Standard Treos were used. Documents created by Documents To Go on the Foleo were NOT mirrored.
  19. #179  
    I can't agree more with you Chupa!

    I think I'd better buy Acer Aspire 4520 that only cost USD680.CPU AMD Turion 64X2 1.8ghz, 14", 512DDRII, 80HDD, Bluetooth 2.0,+EDR Wifi 802.11 b/g, 5 pound, can run full windows, can sync with many phone via each own phone driver/software.

    With USD600 on Foleo, I can only have PXA416mhz, 256 RAM (128 accessable), 10", 2.5 pound, Weak Office, Weak Browser, Weak Email Sync, Weak Phone Sync. And surely I need to spend much more money to buy PIM software from MotionApp, Security app from TealPoint, and maybe PocketTune and many other software to make Foleo as mobile companion (still not even close with a Laptop).

    Gezz... I just awakened from day dream about Foleo as my portable device.
    Last edited by The Bard; 07/25/2007 at 05:21 AM.
  20. TxDot's Avatar
    Posts
    892 Posts
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    #180  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    I can't agree more with you Chupa!

    I think I'd better buy Acer Aspire 4520 that only cost USD680.CPU AMD Turion 64X2 1.8ghz, 14", 512DDRII, 80HDD, Bluetooth 2.0,+EDR Wifi 802.11 b/g, 5 pound, can run full windows, can sync with many phone via each own phone driver/software.

    With USD600 on Foleo, I can only have PXA416mhz, 256 RAM (128 accessable), 10", 2.5 pound, Weak Office, Weak Browser, Weak Email Sync, Weak Phone Sync. And surely I need to spend much more money to buy PIM software from MotionApp, Security app from TealPoint, and maybe PocketTune and many other software to make Foleo as mobile companion (still not even close with a Laptop).

    Gezz... I just awakened from day dream about Foleo as my portable device.
    Then go buy it and spend your time playing with it instead of filling this forum with negative comments. We understand you don't think much of the Foleo and that's fine. To each his own. But it is tiring to read your negative comments in so many threads. However you might think about buying a Foleo so you can check email while your Acer is booting.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

    Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions