Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    I agree with everyone on the Idea of the e-book reader.

I have been wondering why Palm did not make the Foleo in the style of a convertible tablet with a touch screen?

IMO, this would be perfect for the Foleo concept. With its size and instant on/off and battery life it would be great! To be able to swival the the screen and convert it to a tablet, take notes, use PIM functions, and as a ereader at a conference would have been the perfect design, at its size and weight. You would have a Foleo moble companion, that would convert to a extra large PDA, lol.

Wonder why they did not do that? Maybe they will try someing like that in the future?
    Quote Originally Posted by bcombee View Post
    No, you can't set document defaults for "New Document", but you could set up a template document, then load it and do a "Save As" to create a new document that has your wanted settings.
    Thanks Ben. Not exactly the answer I was hoping for, but an answer nontheless.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    More notes from San Francisco...

• More web sites
      • iDisk
        Didn't work. It loaded okay and looked okay but none of the controls worked so I wasn't able to navigate directories or upload or download anything.
      • Xdrive
        Worked. Interesting since the xdrive "application" opens a new window.
      • .Mac Home Page
        Worked. My .mac home page just has the default Apple-provided file browser applet that gives access to my public iDisk files and it worked.
      • Facebook
        Worked. I didn't try anything fancy but I did update my status to "checking out the Foleo."
      • LinkedIn
        Worked, but none of the Palm reps wanted to join my network.
      • MySpace
        Worked. Take note...I went to someone's profile that has music playing in the MySpace Flash music player, and the music played through the Foleo's built-in speakers. Here's a scoop: I plugged in some headphones and listened in stereo! See below.
      • AIM Express
        Didn't work.
      • Online Banking
        Worked fine with my bank. A Palm rep uses the same bank and said he's paid bills online. Without thinking I nearly took a self-portrait with the Foleo with my bank balances on the screen to post here. Good thing I caught myself in time!
      • Outlook web access
        Worked fine.
    • Hardware
      • Mouse
        Palm rep says standard USB mice should just work. Not Bluetooth mice though.
      • Screen
        Someone here wanted to know if it's visible outdoors. Palm rep says yes, very much so, even better than her Treo.
      • Headphone jack
        As I said I listened to Flash audio through my stock Apple iPod white earbuds and it sounded great. I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of bass, probably similar to the headphone jack on my IBM Thinkpad. (An A/B test would be in order.) Note...the Foleo doesn't appear to have any convenient hardware controls to adjust or mute sound volume like most notebooks do, be it a volume wheel (remember those?) or "up"/"down"/"mute" buttons, so you're reliant on software control for volume. I suppose it's possible there's some hidden always-available keystrokes for volume and mute (Alt-shift-up arrow or something) or some could be added later. Mute especially would be handy. [Update: Ben Combee points out that Alt "0", Alt "+", and Alt "-" control the volume, and those functions are clearly labeled on the keys. Perfect.]
      • Keyboard
        Very nice; I could live and be productive with it. Note: there didn't seem to be any Caps Lock indicator, e.g. LED, so I found myself unsure if I had hit Caps Lock or Tab and having to type tentatively to be sure. A discrete Caps Lock icon onscreen someplace (menu bar?) would be a nice touch. I got pretty good with the keyboard app-switching shortcuts pretty quick.
      • CompactFlash slot
        I had this clarified for me. The CF card is analogous to a hard drive in the device, but the OS isn't on it. So you don't boot from it, the kernel and apps aren't on it, etc. Each Foleo will ship with the CF card empty. That said, you wouldn't want to pop out the card and put your digital camera's card in to look at photos because the Foleo could want to format (i.e. erase) the card before using it. In other words do not treat the CF slot as a casual removable CF card reader. Get an external USB reader instead.
      • Boot
        Interestingly one of the reps completely shutdown and restarted the Foleo for us, which she called a diagnostic shutdown. I didn't time it (I tried but messed it up) but estimate the whole cycle took maybe 90 seconds. This would be a rare action for the owner to take.
      • Any other accessories planned?
        Only thing announced is the VGA dongle and charger it comes with. I asked about cases, etc. and there's been no announcement.
    • Applications
      • Spreadsheet
        I created a new spreadsheet and played around a little bit. One thing that seemed to be missing (I didn't see it) is built-in help for complex functions. I tried to enter a CUMIPMT financial function. I don't have the thing memorized so in Excel I always rely on built-in help for that kind of function, but didn't immediately see it on the Foleo so I gave up. It's possible the help is there and I didn't look hard enough for it, or it could be added later. Or maybe there'll be a PDF manual that can be kept on the Foleo.
      • Word Processor
        I created a new document and played with it. Nothing fancy. Someone asked if you can change fonts, and I was able to format and resize fonts as you'd expect. I was concerned at first there was no Page Up/Page Down keys for quick navigation, but then I happily discovered the novel "Left" and "Right" buttons filled that function for that app.
      • PDF Viewer
        Seemed basic but adequate. My one observation is that the "widescreen" 1024x600 aspect ratio of the Foleo's screen is inconvenient for typical portrait-oriented letter-sized PDF docs. I think I'm so used to the 4:3 ratio I've been using forever that the Foleo viewport feels too short, and requires some fiddling with zoom to balance text size with number of visible lines. There's talk in this thread of rotating the page and holding the Foleo sideways, which would probably work fine.
      • Photo Viewer
        Photos looked lovely with smooth colors and even illumination for the entire screen.
      • Sudoku
        Some Astraware reps were there showing Sudoku & Solitaire. Sudoku graphics look very much like the Palm OS version and it shares many of the same features (download game-of-the-day, enter and solve arbitrary puzzles, varying degrees of cheating...er..."assistance," etc.). I believe it lacks the freehand scribble-mode of the Palm OS version. Plenty of convenient keyboard shortcuts. They changed the font in the menu bar from the system default for a customized look (or maybe that was Solitaire).
      • Solitaire
        Contains a dozen or so card games, including Klondike, FreeCell, and Spider of course. I didn't like playing with the trackpoint but they added some intelligent keyboard shortcuts which some people may or may not like. As I recall say there's a 5 you want to move under a 6, but there are two 6s to choose from. You hit the "5" key to select the 5, then hit the spacebar repeatedly to cycle through the available 6s, i.e. all the legal moves. It's quite a bit of assistance, and probably a matter of personal taste. All the games were highly configurable.
      • Email
        My only note is I had a little problem where I tried selecting some arbitrary text from an email, copying it, then pasting it into the browser and it didn't work; the browser wouldn't let me paste. I mentioned it to a Palm rep and he said it should work since the clipboard is a system-wide function, so it may have been a bug. I was able to paste the same text into a spreadsheet with no problem.
      • Browser
        There was some lag as pages loaded and rendered, which could have been the network or the device. Sometimes I found myself not sure if I had successfully clicked a link. Thinking back maybe there was insufficient or delayed feedback when the link was clicked. Humorous thing was trying to click a link while the page was still rendering, and having to chase the link across the page. Browser keeps a menu of URL history handy so it's pretty easy to jump from page to page. Not exactly tabs but in lieu I'd probably use that feature a lot.
    • Reps & Misc.
      • I chatted for a while with the Astraware guys. They seemed genuinely enthusiastic about the platform and were evangelizing it hard. I was surprised how defensive they were of Foleo when challenged on its shortcomings. They've been working with Palm for about a year. One thing that struck me is that they're excited about this as a business as they see it as a good way to make money off of Linux apps. Even though their Sudoku looks a lot like their Palm OS version it wasn't a port, it was a rewrite. Presumably they reused some of the game logic but the graphics and GUI had to be redone from scratch. They made no official announcements but Astraware will be coming out with more apps for Foleo including games from other companies who are also excited for Foleo. I told them my wife would require Bejeweled and they didn't say yes, but they sure as heck didn't say no either.
      • It was clear that Palm really wanted everyone to touch the outside of the device, hold it while it's closed, and experience the instant on and off. That's the magic mojo that was their primary message.
      • Rep said one of Palm's goals is to make it easy to port existing Linux apps to Foleo. I was startled by how strong that statement was.
      • Regarding Firefox vs. Opera, Palm rep said Firefox' memory footprint was too big so they went with Opera. So if someone later ports Firefox anyway, it may appear piggish or sluggish on Foleo. I guess that will be the tradeoff; compatibility and features vs. responsiveness.
      • I asked if Palm had done some market studies with non-Palm employees and they kinda said yes. I didn't ask their findings. I definitely felt the overall tone of the event was one-way, i.e. Palm doing more talking than listening. When I pointed out obvious and well-reported Foleo shortcomings, they were a bit dismissive. They mainly wanted to talk about the positives.
      • Palm and Astraware folks dropped a lot of hints about more software coming from third parties. Stay tuned. Indeed as others have posted the list has grown since the first previews. Two...two Sudokus! Mwa ha ha ha ha!
      • There was a sign-up list in the store to be notified when it ships and to have one held for you at the store. I'm not sure if this is substantively different from the email signup at palm.com. The cynic in me chuckled that they had about 20 copies of the sign-up sheet, but collected only 3 or 4 names.
      • It was a quality shindig. I didn't partake of all the fare (some a bit too high-class for my pedestrian palate) but what I had was delicious. My favorite was the chopped olive-y thing on toast. The slushy melon drinks were cool too.
      • Leaving the store I was waylaid by a cosmetic kiosk and had my hands violently exfoliated by Dead Sea Salt. They're still a little raw, but touchably smooth. So always keep your head on a swivel if your local Palm Store is in a mall.

Overall I like the Foleo and I will most likely get one on day 1. I fully recognize this is in some respect an irrational decision but the truth is ever since this was announced the Foleo has really captured my imagination. Literally every one or two days I find myself doing something or wanting to do something and thinking the Foleo would be perfect for it. Like right now as I type this. Sure I'd miss my room-heating laptop during cold winter months, but as we approach the dog days of summer I would appreciate the Foleo's coolness. Ironically the Sneak Peek didn't really change my impression; it matched the expectations I had going in. It was good to fill in some details though and to get a better grasp of its shortcomings. Yes there are alternatives at a variety of price points but I say again, for some reason the Foleo has my emotional attention. Bring it on.
    Last edited by wlmoore; 07/23/2007 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Volume update
    nice one wlmoore! its like listening to a brother speaking reading your post. I completely understand what you said and did not say
    wlmoore just reminded me of something else at the NYC event. I was told that when you install a compact flash card, the Foleo reads it as additional system memory. If you install an SD card, it will show up as a removable memory card in the file manager.

I honestly don't know the significance of that, but thought it was worth sharing.
    Quote Originally Posted by wlmoore View Post
    More notes from San Francisco...

• More web sites
      • iDisk
        Didn't work. It loaded okay and looked okay but none of the controls worked so I wasn't able to navigate directories or upload or download anything.
      • Xdrive
        Worked. Interesting since the xdrive "application" opens a new window.
      • .Mac Home Page
        Worked. My .mac home page just has the default Apple-provided file browser applet that gives access to my public iDisk files and it worked.
      • Facebook
        Worked. I didn't try anything fancy but I did update my status to "checking out the Foleo."
      • LinkedIn
        Worked, but none of the Palm reps wanted to join my network.
      • MySpace
        Worked. Take note...I went to someone's profile that has music playing in the MySpace Flash music player, and the music played through the Foleo's built-in speakers. Here's a scoop: I plugged in some headphones and listened in stereo! See below.
      • AIM Express
        Didn't work.
      • Online Banking
        Worked fine with my bank. A Palm rep uses the same bank and said he's paid bills online. Without thinking I nearly took a self-portrait with the Foleo with my bank balances on the screen to post here. Good thing I caught myself in time!
      • Outlook web access
        Worked fine.
    • Hardware
      • Mouse
        Palm rep says standard USB mice should just work. Not Bluetooth mice though.
      • Screen
        Someone here wanted to know if it's visible outdoors. Palm rep says yes, very much so, even better than her Treo.
      • Headphone jack
        As I said I listened to Flash audio through my stock Apple iPod white earbuds and it sounded great. I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of bass, probably similar to the headphone jack on my IBM Thinkpad. (An A/B test would be in order.) Note...the Foleo doesn't appear to have any convenient hardware controls to adjust or mute sound volume like most notebooks do, be it a volume wheel (remember those?) or "up"/"down"/"mute" buttons, so you're reliant on software control for volume. I suppose it's possible there's some hidden always-available keystrokes for volume and mute (Alt-shift-up arrow or something) or some could be added later. Mute especially would be handy.
      • Keyboard
        Very nice; I could live and be productive with it. Note: there didn't seem to be any Caps Lock indicator, e.g. LED, so I found myself unsure if I had hit Caps Lock or Tab and having to type tentatively to be sure. A discrete Caps Lock icon onscreen someplace (menu bar?) would be a nice touch. I got pretty good with the keyboard app-switching shortcuts pretty quick.
      • CompactFlash slot
        I had this clarified for me. The CF card is analogous to a hard drive in the device, but the OS isn't on it. So you don't boot from it, the kernel and apps aren't on it, etc. Each Foleo will ship with the CF card empty. That said, you wouldn't want to pop out the card and put your digital camera's card in to look at photos because the Foleo could want to format (i.e. erase) the card before using it. In other words do not treat the CF slot as a casual removable CF card reader. Get an external USB reader instead.
      • Boot
        Interestingly one of the reps completely shutdown and restarted the Foleo for us, which she called a diagnostic shutdown. I didn't time it (I tried but messed it up) but estimate the whole cycle took maybe 90 seconds. This would be a rare action for the owner to take.
      • Any other accessories planned?
        Only thing announced is the VGA dongle and charger it comes with. I asked about cases, etc. and there's been no announcement.
    • Applications
      • Spreadsheet
        I created a new spreadsheet and played around a little bit. One thing that seemed to be missing (I didn't see it) is built-in help for complex functions. I tried to enter a CUMIPMT financial function. I don't have the thing memorized so in Excel I always rely on built-in help for that kind of function, but didn't immediately see it on the Foleo so I gave up. It's possible the help is there and I didn't look hard enough for it, or it could be added later. Or maybe there'll be a PDF manual that can be kept on the Foleo.
      • Word Processor
        I created a new document and played with it. Nothing fancy. Someone asked if you can change fonts, and I was able to format and resize fonts as you'd expect. I was concerned at first there was no Page Up/Page Down keys for quick navigation, but then I happily discovered the novel "Left" and "Right" buttons filled that function for that app.
      • PDF Viewer
        Seemed basic but adequate. My one observation is that the "widescreen" 1024x600 aspect ratio of the Foleo's screen is inconvenient for typical portrait-oriented letter-sized PDF docs. I think I'm so used to the 4:3 ratio I've been using forever that the Foleo viewport feels too short, and requires some fiddling with zoom to balance text size with number of visible lines. There's talk in this thread of rotating the page and holding the Foleo sideways, which would probably work fine.
      • Photo Viewer
        Photos looked lovely with smooth colors and even illumination for the entire screen.
      • Sudoku
        Some Astraware reps were there showing Sudoku & Solitaire. Sudoku graphics look very much like the Palm OS version and it shares many of the same features (download game-of-the-day, enter and solve arbitrary puzzles, varying degrees of cheating...er..."assistance," etc.). I believe it lacks the freehand scribble-mode of the Palm OS version. Plenty of convenient keyboard shortcuts. They changed the font in the menu bar from the system default for a customized look (or maybe that was Solitaire).
      • Solitaire
        Contains a dozen or so card games, including Klondike, FreeCell, and Spider of course. I didn't like playing with the trackpoint but they added some intelligent keyboard shortcuts which some people may or may not like. As I recall say there's a 5 you want to move under a 6, but there are two 6s to choose from. You hit the "5" key to select the 5, then hit the spacebar repeatedly to cycle through the available 6s, i.e. all the legal moves. It's quite a bit of assistance, and probably a matter of personal taste. All the games were highly configurable.
      • Email
        My only note is I had a little problem where I tried selecting some arbitrary text from an email, copying it, then pasting it into the browser and it didn't work; the browser wouldn't let me paste. I mentioned it to a Palm rep and he said it should work since the clipboard is a system-wide function, so it may have been a bug. I was able to paste the same text into a spreadsheet with no problem.
      • Browser
        There was some lag as pages loaded and rendered, which could have been the network or the device. Sometimes I found myself not sure if I had successfully clicked a link. Thinking back maybe there was insufficient or delayed feedback when the link was clicked. Humorous thing was trying to click a link while the page was still rendering, and having to chase the link across the page. Browser keeps a menu of URL history handy so it's pretty easy to jump from page to page. Not exactly tabs but in lieu I'd probably use that feature a lot.
    • Reps & Misc.
      • I chatted for a while with the Astraware guys. They seemed genuinely enthusiastic about the platform and were evangelizing it hard. I was surprised how defensive they were of Foleo when challenged on its shortcomings. They've been working with Palm for about a year. One thing that struck me is that they're excited about this as a business as they see it as a good way to make money off of Linux apps. Even though their Sudoku looks a lot like their Palm OS version it wasn't a port, it was a rewrite. Presumably they reused some of the game logic but the graphics and GUI had to be redone from scratch. They made no official announcements but Astraware will be coming out with more apps for Foleo including games from other companies who are also excited for Foleo. I told them my wife would require Bejeweled and they didn't say yes, but they sure as heck didn't say no either.
      • It was clear that Palm really wanted everyone to touch the outside of the device, hold it while it's closed, and experience the instant on and off. That's the magic mojo that was their primary message.
      • Rep said one of Palm's goals is to make it easy to port existing Linux apps to Foleo. I was startled by how strong that statement was.
      • Regarding Firefox vs. Opera, Palm rep said Firefox' memory footprint was too big so they went with Opera. So if someone later ports Firefox anyway, it may appear piggish or sluggish on Foleo. I guess that will be the tradeoff; compatibility and features vs. responsiveness.
      • I asked if Palm had done some market studies with non-Palm employees and they kinda said yes. I didn't ask their findings. I definitely felt the overall tone of the event was one-way, i.e. Palm doing more talking than listening. When I pointed out obvious and well-reported Foleo shortcomings, they were a bit dismissive. They mainly wanted to talk about the positives.
      • Palm and Astraware folks dropped a lot of hints about more software coming from third parties. Stay tuned. Indeed as others have posted the list has grown since the first previews. Two...two Sudokus! Mwa ha ha ha ha!
      • There was a sign-up list in the store to be notified when it ships and to have one held for you at the store. I'm not sure if this is substantively different from the email signup at palm.com. The cynic in me chuckled that they had about 20 copies of the sign-up sheet, but collected only 3 or 4 names.
      • It was a quality shindig. I didn't partake of all the fare (some a bit too high-class for my pedestrian palate) but what I had was delicious. My favorite was the chopped olive-y thing on toast. The slushy melon drinks were cool too.
      • Leaving the store I was waylaid by a cosmetic kiosk and had my hands violently exfoliated by Dead Sea Salt. They're still a little raw, but touchably smooth. So always keep your head on a swivel if your local Palm Store is in a mall.

Overall I like the Foleo and I will most likely get one on day 1. I fully recognize this is in some respect an irrational decision but the truth is ever since this was announced the Foleo has really captured my imagination. Literally every one or two days I find myself doing something or wanting to do something and thinking the Foleo would be perfect for it. Like right now as I type this. Sure I'd miss my room-heating laptop during cold winter months, but as we approach the dog days of summer I would appreciate the Foleo's coolness. Ironically the Sneak Peek didn't really change my impression; it matched the expectations I had going in. It was good to fill in some details though and to get a better grasp of its shortcomings. Yes there are alternatives at a variety of price points but I say again, for some reason the Foleo has my emotional attention. Bring it on.

Superb writeup, wlmoore! Thanks for taking the time to answer so many questions. The cold bootup time was one thing I had forgotten to test on Thursday.

I hope someone from Palm is assigned to give clarification to any questions raised in these threads here. It would also be nice if Palm would create a series of a dozen or so simple videos (say each 5 minutes long) actually showing all of the Foleo's features in action. How quickly it turns on, navigating with the keyboard versus with the pointing stick, how to access the battery + CompactFlash compartments, how to pair a Treo to the Foleo, the steps involved in syncing of email, complete details about the included applications (including any limitations like the reported lack of animated transitions in PowerPoint) + actually show the apps in use. It would take all of a few hours to create a set of videos like this and upload them to Palm's website. That's the type of "advertising" Palm has traditionally been weakest at: actually showing potential customers how useful Palm's products can be.

I actually forgot they had food there! I wonder if Palm can send me a coupon for a burger to make up for what I missed out on...

I'm not surprised the Palm reps got defensive when you pointed out problems with the Foleo. It's like telling someone their baby is ugly. I doubt that there are ANY limitations that anyone has pointed out here that Palm isn't already intimately familiar with. They were likely all either conscious compromises made or a result of Palm having to rush to finally get the Foleo to market.

I understand how you feel about the Foleo. I think the tactile experience and appearance of the hardware make it a lot easier to overlook its shortcomings. The hardware looks good, feels good and everything that moves (keys, pointing stick, buttons, hinge) seemed perfectly weighted/dampened. In contrast to most laptops on the the market, the Foleo feels expensive - almost luxurious. Palm did well in coming up with a design that appeals to the emotions, but the most important part of the laptop - the software - is unfortunately lacking. Despite what I perceive are numerous flaws in its execution I actually found myself getting attached to the device, picking it up and opening + closing it for fun (yes, I'm easily amused). If only Palm could have nailed the software package out of the box the Foleo could have been a pretty sweet little laptop. Even for $600.

I'll check back at Treocentral in a few weeks and look forward to hearing your analysis of the Foleo once you receive yours. Perhaps Palm should look into giving you one to beta test and then review. I have a feeling readers would find a thorough review by you a lot more useful than the fluff posted online these days. If any Palm staffers are reading this I hope they consider this and get in touch with you before the Foleo is released.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC View Post
    wlmoore just reminded me of something else at the NYC event. I was told that when you install a compact flash card, the Foleo reads it as additional system memory. If you install an SD card, it will show up as a removable memory card in the file manager.

I honestly don't know the significance of that, but thought it was worth sharing.

Basically it means that the CompactFlash card in the Foleo is treated like the hard drive on your laptop/desktop, while an SD card slot in the Foleo is like a removeable USB flash drive (or SD/Memory Stick slot). Just like you don't remove your laptop/desktop's hard drive unless you're upgrading to a bigger drive you would never remove the Foleo's CompactFlash card once it's installed unless you were upgrading to a bigger CF card in order to store more data.
    Last edited by The_Chupacabra; 07/22/2007 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Typo
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I wonder if programs will install on the built in flash, and documents will install onto the compact flash card... or does the card just start taking priority or if there is option between the two.

And if this is your last night chupa's friend. I've definitely enjoyed reading your posts. They've been very well thought out, and articulated well. Thanks for the input.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Compatible with Treo 650? What phones?
    Heartbreaker...the word is that at launch they'll only support the 700, 750, and 755 (sprinkle your w's and p's appropriately). No 650 or 680. I should stress that this is not finalized, but for now it doesn't look good. The gist is they require a certain version of the Palm OS which the 650 and 680 don't have; Palm has limited software development resources so they focused them on the newer models. I didn't ask but I hope maybe a third party could provide support for older phones. I would gladly pay a third party ~$30 today to support my 650 to tide me over until I can upgrade to a whizz-bang next gen Treo next year.
    I just bought the latest POS device for Cingular, the 680, and it is not going to be supported???? That was the reason I bought it!!!! MORONS! If 50% of your customers can't use the FOLEO who the heck do you plan to sell this to Palm???
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    If you don't mind, those that have had a hands on, please comment on the actual communication between the Treo and the Foleo. There has been precious little of that so far in this thread and this is supposed to be the primary feature! My reading of this thread indicates a focus of the Foleo's standalone function, I would like to hear some more comments on how it functions as a Treo companion.

For example, when a spreadsheet was created was it mirrored on the Treo?, was it being created on the Treo at the same time or transferred over after it was saved?, was their lag, if so how much? when the file was saved, was it saved on the Foleo or the Treo?, What about e-mail, when an e-mail is created on the Foleo is it mirrored Treo? etc. How but the BT connection?, pairing speed?, do the two stay connected? distance over which the connection is maintained? does closing the lid cut the connection automatically? does opening the hood re-established the connection? how long does making the connection take?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated, thanks (and if I somehow missed them earlier in the thread, please forgive me).

P.S. comment me among those pissed that it may not support the 680. However, I am still curious and it is highly unlikely that the 680 is the last Treo I will own so the Foleo may still be in the cards.
    Regards, RoninKSB
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninKSB View Post
    If you don't mind, those that have had a hands on, please comment on the actual communication between the Treo and the Foleo. There has been precious little of that so far in this thread and this is supposed to be the primary feature! My reading of this thread indicates a focus of the Foleo's standalone function, I would like to hear some more comments on how it functions as a Treo companion. ...
    Brilliant questions, and regrettably I didn't focus on this area. I hardly touched the Treos at the event--my mistake. Here's a little pertinent info I did pick up.

I didn't witness a Foleo sync email to a Treo because it had already been synced. With no new messages, there was nothing to do. The Palm rep fiddled with trying to send a new email to the Treo but didn't succeed (some confusion about its demo email address) and I didn't press the issue.

The email app won't do anything if the Foleo has never been paired with a phone. I forget exactly what happens but either you can't even launch the app, or its features are disabled, or something like that. It's a pretty sensible policy, but I suppose it could be a gotcha in some convoluted situation. I think Astraware's demo Foleo was "virgin," which is how this came up.

If you're using a Foleo and it's connected (either BT or WiFi I think) and you close the Foleo, the BT/WiFi connections stay live for some amount of time so if you open it up again within that window you're still connected. The time is probably configurable but I'm not sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninKSB View Post
    If you don't mind, those that have had a hands on, please comment on the actual communication between the Treo and the Foleo. There has been precious little of that so far in this thread and this is supposed to be the primary feature! My reading of this thread indicates a focus of the Foleo's standalone function, I would like to hear some more comments on how it functions as a Treo companion.

For example, when a spreadsheet was created was it mirrored on the Treo?, was it being created on the Treo at the same time or transferred over after it was saved?, was their lag, if so how much? when the file was saved, was it saved on the Foleo or the Treo?,
    I might be mistaken, I've never seen the Foleo or anything, but I think I read that the email app is the only one that syncs, since the bluetooth doesn't even support obex file exchange.
    Would you believe that is probably because most are looking at the Foleo to replace a laptop, not be a Treo/smarpthone companion as Palm is telling that it should be

One part marketing, another part ahead of the mental curve of where some want to do computing thats all.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    For sound level controls, Alt-0 is a sound mute toggle, while Alt+ and Alt- are volume up/volume down.

Similarly, Alt+6 and Alt+7 are used to adjust screen brightness, while Alt+8 adjusts the VGA output when you have the dongle connected to account for different projector timing requirements.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcombee View Post
    For sound level controls, Alt-0 is a sound mute toggle, while Alt+ and Alt- are volume up/volume down.

Similarly, Alt+6 and Alt+7 are used to adjust screen brightness, while Alt+8 adjusts the VGA output when you have the dongle connected to account for different projector timing requirements.
    Will those be shown as different colored keys on the keyboard or something so that we don't have to memorize them? Also, is there any embedded keypad within the letter keys using the alt key, like most laptop keyboards have?
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Sweet! Easter Eggs! I'm very happy to see these shortcuts.

A little feedback if I may...choosing Alt+8 may cause confusion for Windows users who are so used to Fn-F7. Also a feature I appreciate in my ThinkPad is that the mute button is not a toggle...it always mutes. So there's no guessing did I just mute it or unmute. (To unmute hit the volume up button.)
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    I just received a short zoomerang survey from Palm about the Sneak Peek. I won't post the whole thing but here are the questions I thought most interesting in terms of getting inside Palm's head:

• Which features of the Foleo™ mobile companion impressed you the most?
      Instant on
      Access the internet anywhere through your phone
      Size and weight
      One button access to email
      All of the above
    • What one change would you most like to see in the Foleo?
      [Picking one was tough, and it was a very small one-line text box! I put "Support for Treo 650 and 680 and other brand phones." Represent!]
    • Considering the price, how good a value do you consider the Foleo to be?
      Very good value
      Fairly good value
      Average value
      Somewhat poor value
      Very poor value
    • Which smartphone model do you currently own and use?
      Treo 680
      Treo 700p
      Treo 700w/wx
      Treo 750
      Treo 755p
      Other, please specify

[Note that the 680 is included in the list, but the 650 is not. Make of that what you will.]

Other questions were what you'd expect..."Why did you answer the last question that way," "How likely to buy", "Rate the staff", etc.
    I just received a short zoomerang survey from Palm about the Sneak Peek. I won't post the whole thing but here are the questions I thought most interesting in terms of getting inside Palm's head:

• Which features of the Foleo™ mobile companion impressed you the most?
      Instant on
      Access the internet anywhere through your phone
      Size and weight
      One button access to email
      All of the above
    • What one change would you most like to see in the Foleo?
      [Picking one was tough, and it was a very small one-line text box! I put "Support for Treo 650 and 680 and other brand phones." Represent!]
    • Considering the price, how good a value do you consider the Foleo to be?
      Very good value
      Fairly good value
      Average value
      Somewhat poor value
      Very poor value
    • Which smartphone model do you currently own and use?
      Treo 680
      Treo 700p
      Treo 700w/wx
      Treo 750
      Treo 755p
      Other, please specify

[Note that the 680 is included in the list, but the 650 is not. Make of that what you will.]

Other questions were what you'd expect..."Why did you answer the last question that way," "How likely to buy", "Rate the staff", etc.
    That could be a positive sign for all the 680 owners. I guess I won't be an early adopter after all.
    IIIc-iPaq 3500, 3900, 2200, 4300-i705-SX56,SX66-T-T2-TC-600-650-8125-8525-8700-Pearl-680-iPhone-Tilt-AT&T Centro

There cant be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Will those be shown as different colored keys on the keyboard or something so that we don't have to memorize them? Also, is there any embedded keypad within the letter keys using the alt key, like most laptop keyboards have?
    Yes, the keyboard has symbols on those number keys that show the usage... it's similar to the Fn functions you see on the F-keys on a Dell laptop. There is no embedded numberpad or NumLock.
    A little feedback if I may...choosing Alt+8 may cause confusion for Windows users who are so used to Fn-F7. Also a feature I appreciate in my ThinkPad is that the mute button is not a toggle...it always mutes. So there's no guessing did I just mute it or unmute. (To unmute hit the volume up button.)
    An on-screen overlay appears when you use those keys showing the current setting, so when you mute, you'll see the volume slider appear at 0 or at the level it was previously. The overlay also appears with the brightness adjustment.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast