Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bcombee View Post
    The only email clients that we sync with right now are VersaMail 4.0 (Palm OS) and Pocket Outlook (WM) which comes with the Foleo. It does view HTML email.
    Unfortunately, until it supports Chatter Email, which on his forums Marc seems to think won't ever happen, or until Versamail incorporates the features of Chatter, that's a dealbreaker for a lot of users here too. The same goes for SnapperEmail, though that'd probably be much harder to support considering you don't own the code to it.

Also, where's iSilo or Mobipocket or any other E-book reader, the Foleo would be perfect for that and I'd think the third parties would jump all over it.

I assume it won't, but does anyone here use Webguide, who could check if streaming video from a MediaCenter PC would work?

Edit: I also wanted to thank Ben Combee for taking time out of his schedule to post here. In the past, Palm hasn't been all that forthcoming with information, so to have someone on the boards posting all this information is great. I hope the Foleo succeeds personally, because I'd love a v2 device with a faster processor to support full-screen video, once more software comes around.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 07/21/2007 at 10:21 AM.
    It is kind of mind boggling that the Foleo will not work with the 680 or 650. BY crippling the Foleo so that it cannot pick up email from POP or IMAP Palm has limited the initial market for Foleos to Treo users. If that wasn't limited enough, now they have cut out half of that market. Now take away the Chattermail and Snappermail users, and there really aren't very many people who would have much use for it. I think the Foleo is a great idea and was all set to buy one, but how many third party developers are going to hop on board when the total market for the device is a few thousand people?

My technical question for Ben is this: What aspect of the 680 is the problem, is it the ability to sync email with Versamail on the 680 or is it the ability to use DUN for internet access. My guess is that it would be the latter. In that case, the Foleo would still be a useful tool for 680 owners for email and doc editing, and web browsing when WIFI is available.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    A friend of mine, a 680 owner, who went to this week's LA Sneak Preview with me, told me that he specifically ask the head of Biz Dev (one of the Foleo demonstrators), about 680 support, and was told that it wouldn't support the 680 at release; Palm would be releasing a 680 updater.
    I heard it from two other Palm folks, not the Biz Dev guy (who was also in S.F.), so the message is pretty consistent.

The first Palm rep said the 650 & 680 would not be supported at launch but expressed some regrets because they were very aware of the size of that user base. I interpret that to mean they would like to support those models but it hasn't happened yet. As I recall she tempered her comments a little along the lines that "Palm hasn't announced which phones yet, but..."

The second Palm rep, the Director of Engineering for the Foleo, told me that there is some crucial difference between the OSes on the 6xx and 7xx (I guess it's 5.4.8 vs. 5.4.9, plus updaters) and that Palm only had resources to develop for one version. I asked him would they add support later and he hinted it was unlikely so that conflicts with what Adam said in L.A. But of course those are "forward-looking statements" and are subject to change. They'll have to make a clear statement at launch, so stay tuned.

This link exists, but it appears to be a placeholder. I expect it will have complete details at launch: http://www.palm.com/foleophones

I read some hearsay somewhere (don't remember where; might have been here) that there could be some issue with the Bluetooth implementation in the 6xx Treos that prevents consistent usage with the Foleo.

It bears repeating...Palm hasn't made an official announcement yet so anything we've heard is subject to change. In the meantime it's probably valuable for Palm to hear that lack of support for certain phones is a deal-breaker for some potential buyers.
  4. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by guinnessdraught View Post
    My technical question for Ben is this: What aspect of the 680 is the problem
    It must be the GSM 'awesomeness' that emanates from both the 650 and the 680. They can't handle the power of the SIM card. I kid, i kid.

"I asked him would they add support later and he hinted it was unlikely"

WOW, this is more serious than i thought. I can't believe they would shut out that many users like that. They've got to realize how stupid that would be.
    Quote Originally Posted by wlmoore View Post
    It bears repeating...Palm hasn't made an official announcement yet so anything we've heard is subject to change. In the meantime it's probably valuable for Palm to hear that lack of support for certain phones is a deal-breaker for some potential buyers.
    During the first preview, I asked a rep "Why doesn't the Foleo have [insert feature]?", and the reply I got suggested to me that Palm had to suddenly accelerate their release schedule when they discovered that "similar products" from other companies (i.e. probably SSDs from Asus and VIA) were coming in short order; so they had to cut their losses, make an early pre-announcement (possibly under pressure from Elevation) and paint the target around the arrow, so to speak, by releasing the product without a PIM and positioning it as an email device. There's probably quite a bit of internal software development in the pipeline that won't make the release date, but will still emerge in the next few months.
    I think Palm should now seriously consider cutting the price of the Foleo... I dont see them making any profit or probably lose money on this
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Also, where's iSilo or Mobipocket or any other E-book reader, the Foleo would be perfect for that and I'd think the third parties would jump all over it.
    Definitely a good point, especially if the display could be rotated for a portrait view. This would certainly position one of the Foleo apps to compete against say, Sony's eBook reader device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Cornfuser View Post
    Definitely a good point, especially if the display could be rotated for a portrait view. This would certainly position one of the Foleo apps to compete against say, Sony's eBook reader device.
    The PDF Reader on the device does support screen rotation. I've used it in that mode to read eBooks from time to time. I've also been reading a lot of PDF-format books from Fictionwise on the device.

I do hope some of the book readers get ported over once the device is released. I think that's a good use, although with good PDF and local HTML support, the need for a separate format isn't as great on this as on the PDAs and smartphones.
    The PDF Reader on the device does support screen rotation. I've used it in that mode to read eBooks from time to time. I've also been reading a lot of PDF-format books from Fictionwise on the device.

I do hope some of the book readers get ported over once the device is released. I think that's a good use, although with good PDF and local HTML support, the need for a separate format isn't as great on this as on the PDAs and smartphones.
    That is a Cool feature i must say.
    During the first preview, I asked a rep "Why doesn't the Foleo have [insert feature]?", and the reply I got suggested to me that Palm had to suddenly accelerate their release schedule when they discovered that "similar products" from other companies (i.e. probably SSDs from Asus and VIA) were coming in short order; so they had to cut their losses, make an early pre-announcement (possibly under pressure from Elevation) and paint the target around the arrow, so to speak, by releasing the product without a PIM and positioning it as an email device. There's probably quite a bit of internal software development in the pipeline that won't make the release date, but will still emerge in the next few months.
    Very interesting information and that certainly makes a lot of sense. Too bad as it sort of blew what I imagine would be some of their intentions to woo people.

Still, at least with updates along the road we can expect more.

FYI, for those curious I didn't get to make it to the sneakpeak. I was there in the city but had lab work to do and just wasn't feeling up to it.

Plus, from all the feedback here I pretty much already made my mind to get one, lol.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Actually, the version we have on the device now does allow edits to slides. You can only change text, though.
    that's not perfect but certainly suitable for my needs...

As a Sony Reader user, no LCD device would be as suitable for extended reading as E Ink, at least for me. With LCD's, you're staring directly into a light source. E Ink reflects existing light. Some people still prefer LCD book readers, though, especially if they do a lot of reading in dark settings.

On the other hand, the size of the Foleo is perfect for portrait mode reading, which is the only attraction of tablet PCs for my purposes. Sideways orientations on regular laptops are always awkard. I may be interested in doing this after all.
    So, the PDF reader does support DRM type protected files then?

As a Sony Reader user, no LCD device would be as suitable for extended reading as E Ink, at least for me. With LCD's, you're staring directly into a light source. E Ink reflects existing light. Some people still prefer LCD book readers, though, especially if they do a lot of reading in dark settings.
    Every (non-class related) book I've read in the past four years has been on my Treo, I'd imagine that the Foleo would be a much improved experience.

Anyway, for ebook readers especially, it'd be amazing if one of the suggested features from an older post would be incorporated, the ability to go directly from an ebook on your Treo, open up the same program on the Foleo, and appear directly at the same page, and then to return to your Treo and then be at the updated spot, without having to transfer the file or do anything other than automatically sync. Wishful thoughts for now, I guess.

And also, I thought Palm Reader was a Palm-made program, is there any possibility of that appearing on the Foleo? I'd guess that's something that you can't talk about.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 07/21/2007 at 01:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    FYI, for those curious I didn't get to make it to the sneakpeak. I was there in the city but had lab work to do and just wasn't feeling up to it.

Plus, from all the feedback here I pretty much already made my mind to get one, lol.
    Mal,
    I suppose lab work is an acceptable excuse. I've been eagerly waiting for your take on the Foleo. I respect your opinions and was just hoping I wasn't in love with something that I would later regret (not unlike my ex-husband). What are the odds of the thing being released the week of LinuxWorld as pointed out in this post: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=147629
    The wait is killing me!
    My Treo: I think I'll keep her. All dressed up for prom and her date Foleo stood her up
    Thanks all for the great feedback from the Sneak Peek. I am one (of probably many) who will not like the decsion to not support the 680 (the 650 I could understand, but the 680, uhmmm).

I was under the impression at launch that it was rushed to market and this seems to have been the case. I think that Palm was looking to make a suitable smartphone companion (near-laptop replacement) yet a lot had to hit the cutting room floor. Its a shame, but I would hope that some of the "execution" that various people at Palm have talked about relates to making sure that the Foleo gets consistent attention form Palm after release.

One of the things that gets me is updating. Would the Foleo be upgradeable similar to a laptop/desktop, or like a smartphone? Would one be able to do firmware updates to their Treo (ignoring other smartphones for the moment) via the Foleo?

Ironically, despite me owning a 680, I'm with Malatesta in looking to get the Foleo. For me, and especially how my new job has effected my computer use at home, the Foleo is dang near perfect.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by fairoasis View Post
    Mal,
    I suppose lab work is an acceptable excuse. I've been eagerly waiting for your take on the Foleo. I respect your opinions and was just hoping I wasn't in love with something that I would later regret (not unlike my ex-husband). What are the odds of the thing being released the week of LinuxWorld as pointed out in this post: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=147629
    The wait is killing me!
    lol, sorry to disappoint. I did regret it the next day

I can say this: when it comes out I'll do a thorough review, and like others with one, I will try to answer as much as I can.

As far as actual release date and that LinuxWorld: I could imagine them releasing it to those people that week while still holding to the 22nd release state for wide distribution. Much like Sprint releases to devices via their "Business channel" first then consumers a couple of weeks later.

Maybe I can get my hands on one earlier though....hmmm.

Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Yes, I'm definitely interested in using the Foleo as an ebook reader. That's good to hear about the screen rotation for pdf's. I emailed ereader.com three or so weeks ago, and asked them if they'd support the Foleo (with their reader and ebook studio), but I didn't get any response.

I'm guessing they're just waiting to see. Hopefully they'll get the reader to support it. ebook studio on the other hand doesn't get much support and has it's own issues even on windows. But I can dream!
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    So, the PDF reader does support DRM type protected files then?
    Good question. DTG 8 on the Treo supports RC4 encrypted PDF files. I don't know what other flavors of DRM are common for PDFs.
    Every (non-class related) book I've read in the past four years has been on my Treo, I'd imagine that the Foleo would be a much improved experience.
    I'll say it would. Reading books on the Treo is my definition of hell; the TX was mere purgatory. I even had to stop using foldable keyboards for the Treo after recognizing that the source of my eyestrain was staring into a 2" screen for half an hour without blinking. Forums and short articles are my limit.

Right now I scan most of my books into the Sony Reader with a Plustek OpticBook 3600 book scanner (which scan book pages intact, all the way to the gutter) as PDFs. It might actually be worth forgoing the E Ink advantage to consolidate my reading into a single device. I'll definitely be trying this out.
    If there are any sneak peeks left, can someone check out in DTG whether one is able to set document properties for created Word/Excel docs. This is a feature that I use pretty extensively (I'm a meta data freak) and would be something that I'd count as a needed feature, thanks.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    If there are any sneak peeks left, can someone check out in DTG whether one is able to set document properties for created Word/Excel docs. This is a feature that I use pretty extensively (I'm a meta data freak) and would be something that I'd count as a needed feature, thanks.
    No, you can't set document defaults for "New Document", but you could set up a template document, then load it and do a "Save As" to create a new document that has your wanted settings.
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast