Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    You should absolutely go even if you didn't register. Registration was full and I still went to the event in NYC. There were dozens of ID tags of people who registered and did not show up. They won't refuse you.
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    I tried PowerPoint tonight. DTG only does slide changes no animations. The VGA port some how strips off the menu bar when doing a presentation. Currently it will not replace my notebook for presentations.

I was impressed with the Foleo. Hopefully a port of Open Office will happen quickly and the Foleo should be able to do animations.

The reason I was told OO was not considered was because it would not be an instant application. it would take time to load. All the apps I tried tonight were instant on. Very cool!
    Marty
    Handspring Visor -> Handspring Treo 180 That stated it would have Wi-Fi -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650->Treo 700P ->Centro->Pre
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    That's enough to convince me. I'm off!! (I'll be the Filipino guy in blue jeans, and a burgandy dress shirt)
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Overall, I was impressed. There's honestly not a lot to say, really. The official info is still pretty thin. There are several announcements that are still pending for the official release and that makes sense. You do want to have some bang when it released. What I did hear I liked.

I know it has been commented on plenty previously, but I must say I was really impressed by the weight and size. It weighs the exact same as a Fujitsu P1510D or a P1610 and yet the Foleo clearly *felt* lighter. The weight distribution is great. I know that shouldn't be a big deal and yet it is.

The inclusion of the compactflash slot and the SD card slot are a big deal. I can't imagine too many people complaining about storage for the intended purpose of the device. Browsing was good but not great. I think the "explosion" in this device comes six months after Palm releases it and the Linux community takes it apart. They (Palm) seem to fully expect that.

I very much look at the Foleo like I did the original Palm Pilot and the original Treo. It took years before each made a real impression. People think of the Treo and they think of the recent models, but the first Treo came out 5 years ago. Heck, the Palm Pilot came out 10 years ago. It took years to catch on.

I won't say that I was wowed by the Foleo. I wasn't. But I won't say it doesn't have potential. I think the independent developer community is going to go after this device much like they did when Palm first arrived on the scene with the Palm Pilot.

We'll certainly see soon enough.
    Does it have speakers on it ? I didn't see any from the pics.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by wlmoore View Post
    Hello from the San Francisco event! We have WiFi!

I am posting this from a Foleo. Amy from Palm says, "Hi!"

More later...
    *WAVES* at Amy....I'll keep her busy waving, you grab a Foleo and RUUNNNNNNNN!
    My Treo: I think I'll keep her. All dressed up for prom and her date Foleo stood her up
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Printing was discussed tonight. There is a USB port and I was told its just a matter of the companies writing drivers. I am assuming that some Linux print drivers may work.

The web browser was fine. Not blazing fast rendering and we were using WiFi. it was more then adequate. Again a discussion of a Firefox port but it won't come from Palm. I believe Palm is counting of 3rd party developers and the open source community.

We were able to play Flash audio. Trust me video will happen too.
    Marty
    Handspring Visor -> Handspring Treo 180 That stated it would have Wi-Fi -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650->Treo 700P ->Centro->Pre
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Yes it has a mono speaker and a standard stereo headphone jack.
    Last edited by emajy; 07/20/2007 at 07:18 AM.
    Marty
    Quote Originally Posted by emajy View Post
    Yes it has a mono speaker and a standard stero headphone jack.
    Thanks. Well I'm starting to get excited about this thing too. I wasn't able to attend the event in LA so I could check it out first hand, but everything sounds pretty good so far.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by emajy View Post
    We were able to play Flash audio. Trust me video will happen too.
    Yeah, that was made abundantly clear "unofficially".

I got the impression of some poor SOB in a room at Palm feverishly working on the code with a boss behind him saying "Done yet?" every five minutes.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I got in (AM in!)! It looked a little doubtful at first, but the first guy asked his boss, and she asked if I used a Treo. I pulled it out, and I'm in!

About instant messaging, aimexpress didn't work, and meebo.com didn't work when we tried it, but the person I was talking with said she been asking people to work on it. (And of course someone will probably develop something eventually.)

(Edited in that "o")
    Last edited by Gerorne; 07/20/2007 at 02:00 AM.

Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Gerorne, did you try Meebo.com?
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    I got in (AM in!)! It looked a little doubtful at first, but the first guy asked his boss, and she asked if I used a Treo. I pulled it out, and I'm in!

About instant messaging, aimexpress didn't work, and meeb.com didn't work when we tried it, but the person I was talking with said she been asking people to work on it. (And of course someone will probably develop something eventually.)
    Nice Gerorne ! Did you also try to go to docs.google.com? I guess palm needs to work on this feature (IM Please !) for the browser.

So any timeframe they gave you for supporting meebo.com? Or do we have to wait for 1 year

So officially, the opera browser can't do the following :
    1. Tabbed browsing
    2. Support for meebo.com or aimexpress.com
    3. (most likely) docs.google.com

Can anyone confirm in the sneek peek confirm if there will be an alternative browser for the Foleo?

Sigh...
    Last edited by janric; 07/20/2007 at 12:56 AM.
    I didn't try docs.google.com but I was able to log into reader.google.com and read my feeds. Speed was ok, nothing amazing. Layout was ok. No speed demon, that's for sure.

Also interesting to note was that they seemed very protective of releasing the type of processor it was running on.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC View Post
    You should absolutely go even if you didn't register. Registration was full and I still went to the event in NYC. There were dozens of ID tags of people who registered and did not show up.
    Mine would have been one of them... Unfortunately I couldn't make it.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    A couple other details:

1) Shockingly small in person, and about the keyboard size, I did have to adjust my fingers a little bit, but it's workable.

2) It didn't look like there was a way to alter the mouse speed

3) Pressing Alt plus the Back button (The circular one, not the left arrow key) works like the "Last Channel" button on a tv remote, so you flip back and forth through two programs very easily.

4) When you hit menu, and you have those various menu headings (Like in the phone app of a treo, "Record" "Edit" and "Options"), the Back and Forward buttons can be used to navigate through those, and you don't have to use the mouse. (Edit: But I am stupid and I don't know why I didn't try the actual arrow keys)

(I don't know if other people knew that, or if it was just common sense, but I didn't realize it.)

5) Docs to Go does have extra features... I can't remember any of them off the top of my head. Or perhaps it's just easier to find all those features because of the wider screen and different interface.

Edit:

6) I asked what the drop down app menu would look like if they added more apps past the first column (would it have to scroll down, or add a second column)

7) I don't know if it's been announced, but TealPoint is making programs for the Foleo also. Teal Safe (for safely securing passwords and credit card numbers and stuff) was on the one that I was using, as well as a couple other Teal products.

Quote Originally Posted by janric View Post
    Nice Gerorne ! Did you also try to go to docs.google.com? I guess palm needs to work on this feature (IM Please !) for the browser.

So any timeframe they gave you for supporting meebo.com? Or do we have to wait for 1 year

So officially, the opera browser can't do the following :
    1. Tabbed browsing
    2. Support for meebo.com or aimexpress.com
    3. (most likely) docs.google.com

Can anyone confirm in the sneek peek confirm if there will be an alternative browser for the Foleo?

Sigh...
    No, I didn't try docs.google.com, no time frame for meebo support, but it's something they looking into, as well as flash video cause a lot of people are asking them about youtube, and no alternative brower at this time.

However if there ever is an alternate brower, even if neither have tabs, pressing Atl+Back might be an option (Or I suppose just mapping the two browers to two adjacent keys would work just as well, like "z" and "x")
    Last edited by Gerorne; 07/20/2007 at 04:18 AM.

Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    I wonder if Bluetooth audio will work? Anyone get a chance to look at the Bluetooth settings? Hard to be mobile when you have a bunch of wires plugged in.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC View Post
    ...Also interesting to note was that they seemed very protective of releasing the type of processor it was running on.
    Check out this post...http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...4&postcount=18
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot View Post
    Well, that answers that. So it's a PXA27X processor. In fact, it seems to be simply a faster version of the same processor that's in the Treo 650 and the 700P.
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    I looked at the BT settings. There was no way to "Hide" the device. In the preferences it asks for the type of device and carrier. It then generates its own 6 digit code for pairing. So I am not sure if it can have more then one BT connection at a time.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast