Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bcombee View Post
    GMail does work in the browser fairly well, although sometimes I've found it faster to use the basic HTML version depending on what I'm doing. Javascript speed isn't as good as a fast laptop or desktop machine.
    That's too bad. I'm so addicted to Gmail's way of handiling mail that I only forward specific senders to a push mailbox that I receive with Chattermail on my Treo. It sounds like I might have to rethink how I would handle email if I used the Foleo and still get Gmail's benefits. Thanks.
    Can keys be remapped, e.g. Alt or Menu key remapped to Ctrl or Meta?

In the Terminal app, Menu is used as Control and Alt is used as Meta. This proves very useful when I'm editing configuration files on the device using nano.
    Glad to hear we have control and meta.

One problem, we also really need an "Esc" key. Can this be mapped to another key? Or is there another way to access it? (Try using vi without escape).

I was hoping this would be an ideal device for remote troubleshoorting. (Especially with the battery life, and Treo VPN support.)
    HP200LX -> Palm Pilot -> Palm III -> Sony PEG-300 -> Sony PEG-N710C -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p -> (iPhone or Treo 800L or something unexpected)??
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr View Post
    One problem, we also really need an "Esc" key. Can this be mapped to another key? Or is there another way to access it? (Try using vi without escape).
    Escape can be sent by using Menu+[, the old school way to send it back before terminals had ESC keys.
  4. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    just got out of the sneak peek, w00t. lots of pics! I post later, who else went?
    I just got in from the DC Sneak Peek. I was so enthralled, I forgot to take pictures, lol. Not really much to see that wasn't already shown in the other posts. The best part was the hands on. I did ask alot of questions, did some surfing to some of my usual sites, and tried to get E to agree or disagree with the release date shown here on TC. One thing is for sure, Palm knows how to throw a preview, and being able to touch it, use it, and put it through it's paces just made me more eager to get one.
    PS: BCombee, your team was great tonight...very informative and helpful. Not a question we asked that wasn't answered (except the release date....E wouldn't budge, lol). Impressed was an understatement after having time with the Foleo.
    Last edited by fairoasis; 07/17/2007 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Added PS:
    My Treo: I think I'll keep her. All dressed up for prom and her date Foleo stood her up
    will be eagerly awaiting your previews and pictures
    @dpc:

Were you at the Grove tonight? Personally, I was disappointed the second time around -- not by the product, but at the inability to get any more information. Contrary to my last preview, where the staff was surprisingly relaxed about my use of Terminal, this time they were still cordial but much more guarded. As soon as a rep saw me type "ls /etc | grep X [to see if the UI layer ran over X11]," I was told, with a smile, "We're not going into Terminal this evening." As I expected, no one at Palm could directly affirm that X was on board (although I'm almost certain it is) or provide any details about widget toolkits. One of the cooler reps let me go in to test ssh, but other staff was hovering around, and after she told me that I might have to get out of Terminal quickly, I gave up. It didn't help that the turnout was much larger this time around, and the reps spend more time at the Foleos doing demos, so I had much less time to play with the units directly. No WiFi again, and only intermittent DUN on 2 of the 3 Foleos.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to hear what other's hands-on experience was like.
    "No WiFi again, and only intermittent DUN on 2 of the 3 Foleos."?????????????

Hmmmmmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    No WiFi again, and only intermittent DUN on 2 of the 3 Foleos.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to hear what other's hands-on experience was like.
  9. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Gameboy70, yes, they were guarding the Terminal like it was fort knox. The lack of wifi was a bummer, and you're right, there wasn't anything new to say that hasn't been said already. But man, the chance to just play with the thing was enough satisfaction for me. I really like the grippable (dunno if that's a real word) feel of the casing, like the same soft touch used on the 755p.

I asked one of the reps about the release date and she said later this summer, then I was like, "so around august?" and she totally stonewalled my baiting tactic by repeating the "later this summer" line, hahaha, it was all good fun. I thought the sneak peek totally rocked, they put out drinks and food for people to sip and munch on the whole time, very classy I thought. Oh dude, and did you get the schwag bag?
    We had WiFi at the DC Sneak Peek tonight. Everything ran seamlessly. I was impressed at the speed and responsiveness of the unit. One tap of the email button and they were N'Sync.
    My Treo: I think I'll keep her. All dressed up for prom and her date Foleo stood her up
    Quote Originally Posted by dpc View Post
    Gameboy70, yes, they were guarding the Terminal like it was fort knox. The lack of wifi was a bummer, and you're right, there wasn't anything new to say that hasn't been said already. But man, the chance to just play with the thing was enough satisfaction for me. I really like the grippable (dunno if that's a real word) feel of the casing, like the same soft touch used on the 755p.

I asked one of the reps about the release date and she said later this summer, then I was like, "so around august?" and she totally stonewalled my baiting tactic by repeating the "later this summer" line, hahaha, it was all good fun. I thought the sneak peek totally rocked, they put out drinks and food for people to sip and munch on the whole time, very classy I thought. Oh dude, and did you get the schwag bag?
    I have to agree about the soft touch paint's traction. I almost have a kinky fetish for holding the Foleo just for its tactile elegance.

I think everone's agreed on August 22, but I would've been surprised to hear the staff confirm it in an official capacity. I've noticed over the years that Palm generally releases new products within about a week of the most rumored release date.

And yeah, I grabbed another bag. I'm on my second $15 Starbucks card!
    I was at the DC peek today and was told the windowing system is not X11 but something (some made up palm name) that palm created.

He also mentioned something about being able to bypass the palm stuff and drawing directly to some other stuff.. Ya my memory sucks.. probably should have reocrded it all.
  13. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Alright peoples, I put all my pics up over at flickr! Just to warn you though, I doubt it's anything you haven't seen before.

Foleo Sneak Peek, LA

I put up the contents of the schwag bag in there too, Palm gum people!!! I **** you not.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Free stuff! Why didn't I sign up! I really want one of the coffee tumblers. I wonder if I could still get into the SF one. (I'm a sucker for a kinds of pre-order gifts too.)

And yeah... I have no idea why I didn't sign up earlier just to play with the Foleo for this second chance. Maybe if I actually go the email sent to me since I signed up for the email list I would have. (I suppose it could have accidentally gone to junk mail... but I don't see it.)
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    bcombee, Is there any chance that a Sneak Preview can be arranged for Austin? I'm dying to see this thing and November is a long way off. Yeah I know it's likely to be released before then but only via the web and Palm stores.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    bcombee,

I agree and vote Ya'll hold a sneek Peak in Austin. Really want to see one of these! At the least lets do one in Dallas.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fairoasis View Post
    I just got in from the DC Sneak Peek. I was so enthralled, I forgot to take pictures, lol. Not really much to see that wasn't already shown in the other posts. The best part was the hands on. I did ask alot of questions, did some surfing to some of my usual sites, and tried to get E to agree or disagree with the release date shown here on TC. One thing is for sure, Palm knows how to throw a preview, and being able to touch it, use it, and put it through it's paces just made me more eager to get one.
    PS: BCombee, your team was great tonight...very informative and helpful. Not a question we asked that wasn't answered (except the release date....E wouldn't budge, lol). Impressed was an understatement after having time with the Foleo.
    Not to infringe on your privacy but what are some of the websites you visited? Were you displeased by how the Foleo browser handled any of them?

Thanks!
    wlmoore,
    I just popped around from site to site to some of the more freq ones I visit. ie: sprintusers.com, treocentral.com (of course), palminsider, my Novell Groupwise email site, Bank of America, etc. On the WiFi, it functioned no differently than surfing with my laptop or desktop at home. I was more than pleased.
    Quote Originally Posted by tj0827 View Post
    bcombee,

I agree and vote Ya'll hold a sneek Peak in Austin. Really want to see one of these! At the least lets do one in Dallas.

Thanks
    I'd love to do one there, but I'm actually not going to be back in Austin in time to do it, and since we don't have a Palm Store there, it would be difficult to arrange a demo space. Sorry.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    I'd love to do one there, but I'm actually not going to be back in Austin in time to do it, and since we don't have a Palm Store there, it would be difficult to arrange a demo space. Sorry.
    You can use my house. I'll even provide a few snacks and drinks!
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast