Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The Asus EEE PC 701 notebook was officially announced at the beginning of June at Computex Taipei. Today I met with Asus to get a close-up look at this new device and talk more about the company's goals with it. If Asus really can pull off selling this device for $250, it could be a very tempting companion PC for on the go.

First of all, here's a quick look at the specs the Asus EEE offers:

* Display: 7"
    * Processor: Intel mobile CPU (Intel 910 chipset, 900MHz Dothan Pentium M)
    * Memory: 512MB RAM
    * Storage: 8GB or 16GB flash hard drive
    * Webcam: 300K pixel video camera
    * Battery life: 3 hours using 4-cell battery
    * Weight: 2lbs
    * Dimensions: 8.9 in x 6.5 in x 0.82 in - 1.37 in (width x depth x thickness)
    * Ports: 3 USB ports, 1 VGA out, SD card reader, modem, Ethernet, headphone out, microphone in
    8 and 16 GB? Wow.

Notebook Review
    Even at $250, beats the Foleo in a HUGE way! Way more useful IMO!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Thanks for the link and update. There's little I don't like about this machine - and I especially enjoy the complete lack of hype. It is what it is, does what it does, costs what it costs without any hinted-at promises of future capability, or obscure use cases to justify its existence. I'm all over one of those if they keep the 8GB under $300 - and I'll take a 16GB for $100 more.

Only downside to me in the review was the heat comment. Hopefully this won't be one of those scorch your pants, blaring fan beasts like some tablet PCs. One of you will have to purchase the first one and let me know if it's safe!
    I find the comments on the build quality a bit amusing:
    "It felt and looked like plastic and if this thing were stepped on I'm sure the result would not be pretty."

The $250 price is both good and bad news. They were adamant about it being $199 and we all knew that was too good to be true.
    HOWEVER. I was expecting $200 for 4GB, and $300 for 8GB.
    Now this says $250 for 8GB, and 16GB is "more." That's actually cheaper than I expected for the 8GB SKU.

I'm pleased to see that it won't be offered at 4GB/8GB, but at 8GB, and 16GB if this is right.

I really plan to tinker with this thing and I really do want to try WindowsXP on it in addition to giving the pre-installed a shot. While I can run XP in under 8GB, it's pretty cozy, and 4GB is close to impossible.
    16GB will be much more comfortable and you won't have to worry quite so much about how much space you eat up when you install another app.

I just hope at launch they have 16GB available and I'm not searching high and low for a 16GB because all anyone has is 8.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    There's little I don't like about this machine - and I especially enjoy the complete lack of hype.
    I too very much appreciate the total lack of hype. At least I don't have to worry about standing in a line somewhere to buy one when it comes out.
    The only 1 thing I wish it had was built in bluetooth. It's not a deal breaker for me and I understand it can't have everything, but this would have been convenient. At least it has wifi.
    And I would have most likely preferred the 10" version, but that's about 9 months off. I guess if I like the 701, I'll know if the 1001 is worth the upgrade.
    Ill buy it w/out hesitation. its this type of competitive pricing palm people never get.
    Kinda of odd that the device comes pre-installed with Linux and it has a windows key. I would like to get one, but only thing holding me back is the size. I'd rather have a 8.3in or larger display odd as it sounds.
    That leaves the overpriced Foleo. Bigger screen, not much else. Unless they unveil something new.

Or the really expensive true mini laptops with 10-13 inch screens.

It's looks like 7 inches at this price, or pay a whole lot more. At this time. The 10" would have been nicer, but I guess at $250 they have to make some restrictions.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I too think this is a good device, though in its build addresses some of those things that the Foleo was designed to not have an issue with -- specifucally, build quality and ease of use.

I do think that is a much better salvo verses laptop makers than Palm, though the Foleo will have to step up and quick to address this product; not necessarly in prodct price, but in usablity and performance.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodycape77 View Post
    Kinda of odd that the device comes pre-installed with Linux and it has a windows key. I would like to get one, but only thing holding me back is the size. I'd rather have a 8.3in or larger display odd as it sounds.
    I'm sure the main reason it comes with Linux is because Linux is free. On a laptop target at $199, a Windows license would have been another $300 or so on top of that. However, it's designed to run windows should supply Windows yourself, so I think that's why they included the windows key.
    3 hours of battery life still seems meager and I'm not too trusting of Asus's predictions on that end (was that with or without Wifi enabled? I assume off.).

Also, lack of built in BT and that tiny, awful looking screen are also not exactly selling points. I think 7" will get tiring on the eyes quickly. Heck, even 12" has it limits.

I think the EEE will do relatively well for what it's aimed to do, but I don't think it really compares to the Foleo and it's function as far as target market. The price is nice, but then...you get what you pay for = build quality? For me at least, avoiding MS Windows on a mobile device is one of my goals and will this "flavor" of linux sync up with WM devices?

Webcam is a neat addition. OTOH, I rarely use the one I purchased...something a bit odd about video chatting, lol.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    The price is nice and that would seem to fully define its niche -and $200 is appropriate for a not-as-thin-as-milkjug-plastic 3-hour device that gets hot. Naming it "PC", reviewing and marketing this as a "notebook", and icons that are only weblinks actually seems like a lot of hype to me; and a 10-degree-cooler room is not going to make this a "much cooler" device. I agree on battery life: 3 hours is a non-starter even for a quick starter. I wonder if it could be a typo; I'm surpised the reviewer didn't mention it. This is at least 25% less than I get on my loaded Vaio. If you have to mail-order, make sure you check the size and weight of the power adapter first.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Interesting. I've never owed or used any laptop that got more than about 2.5 hours max without going in to power saving mode (when idle) or adding some big bulky extended batter pack. So 3 hours sounds at constant usage seems adequate to me.
    And a hot room does make a big difference in operating temp. on all electronics, even laptops. But I agree that I don't thing it would make this not be hot at any room temp. Then again most laptops I've used get pretty warm so this is nothing terribly new.

I just wonder what everyone expects from a $250 laptop? Of course there are going to be areas of quality that will be sacrificed otherwise you'd pay the 4 to 8 times more for a real one.
    Last edited by taylorh; 07/16/2007 at 11:51 AM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    I find the comments on the build quality a bit amusing:
    "It felt and looked like plastic and if this thing were stepped on I'm sure the result would not be pretty."

The $250 price is both good and bad news. They were adamant about it being $199 and we all knew that was too good to be true.
    HOWEVER. I was expecting $200 for 4GB, and $300 for 8GB.
    Now this says $250 for 8GB, and 16GB is "more." That's actually cheaper than I expected for the 8GB SKU.

I'm pleased to see that it won't be offered at 4GB/8GB, but at 8GB, and 16GB if this is right.

I really plan to tinker with this thing and I really do want to try WindowsXP on it in addition to giving the pre-installed a shot. While I can run XP in under 8GB, it's pretty cozy, and 4GB is close to impossible.
    16GB will be much more comfortable and you won't have to worry quite so much about how much space you eat up when you install another app.

I just hope at launch they have 16GB available and I'm not searching high and low for a 16GB because all anyone has is 8.I too very much appreciate the total lack of hype. At least I don't have to worry about standing in a line somewhere to buy one when it comes out.
    The only 1 thing I wish it had was built in bluetooth. It's not a deal breaker for me and I understand it can't have everything, but this would have been convenient. At least it has wifi.
    And I would have most likely preferred the 10" version, but that's about 9 months off. I guess if I like the 701, I'll know if the 1001 is worth the upgrade.
    I'd expect the 16GB version to cost around $350 given current flash memory prices. Add XP Home and the price increases to $450, pretty close to the cost of the Foleo. Of course, I have an extra copy of XP lying around and I suspect that other people do to, so it might be unfair to figure in the price of XP into the price of this device. What bothers me is that with "only" 512MB of RAM, XP won't run as well under a heavy load of software. The flash-based storage would probably mitigate that problem. In the end, I think that it's a waste of time to put XP on this device and try to turn it into a poor Windows machine. I'd probably just want to play around with it and install various flavors of Linux.

Even at $250, getting this device is probably a no brainer. But I don't really see it as a viable laptop alternative. It's screen is too small. But it would make an excellent portable video player. It has VGA out so you can hook it up to an old 19" monitor and speakers at home and take with you on the road for video on the go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo View Post
    The price is nice and that would seem to fully define its niche -and $200 is appropriate for a not-as-thin-as-milkjug-plastic 3-hour device that gets hot. Naming it "PC", reviewing and marketing this as a "notebook", and icons that are only weblinks actually seems like a lot of hype to me; and a 10-degree-cooler room is not going to make this a "much cooler" device. I agree on battery life: 3 hours is a non-starter even for a quick starter. I wonder if it could be a typo; I'm surpised the reviewer didn't mention it. This is at least 25% less than I get on my loaded Vaio. If you have to mail-order, make sure you check the size and weight of the power adapter first.
    "Hot" is a relative term. I wouldn't expect this device to get anywhere near as hot as my HP laptop which has a 7200 rpm hard drive churning beneath the hood.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    I just wonder what everyone expects from a $250 laptop? Of course there are going to be areas of quality that will be sacrificed otherwise you'd pay the 4 to 8 times more for a real one.
    Agreed. You can't expect much beyond a fun, occasionally useful toy. About the only truly useful purpose that I can think of for this device is as a tool for repairing "real" PCs. You can easily carry this device to a friend (or possibly a client's) home where there is a dead PC and use it to connect to the Internet and to various peripherals and possibly narrow down a software or hardware problem.

A more fun usage would be -- and I've mentioned this a bunch of times before -- is as a portable video player. It has VGA out and a hard disk big enough to hold several hours of video (or a couple of DVD images). Unless the screen is absolutely horrible, the eeePC would be perfect for this purpose.

If you've got an extra $250 and love to play with gadgets, I don't see why you wouldn't get this machine.
    The Asus eee has its limitaions, but does many things and sells at a great price.
    the foleo has even more limitations, and is just Overpricing itself way beyond its capacity.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    The Eee spec's scream "Auto-PC". I use my 10.1" Lifebook to "pimp" out my ride - not. But I do use it in the car. Still imagine:
    - bluetooth dongle
    - GPS Receiver and navigation software
    - tethered internet connectivity (or use one of those wireless routers that work with a cellular data card.)
    - wireless input devices.

Now the possibilities are incredibile. People WILL do some amazing automobile audio/video with this. Ooops! I forgot the direct vent cooling (easier than it sounds.) Oh, and since it's summer and as hot and unvented as the Eee is, better include a fire extinguisher
    If it's not rigged in a big rig, consoled in an suv, hanging in a minivan or cradled in a car some how, then I would have no use for it. I'll take the cooler(literally) Foleo and just keep things simple. I have power in another device. My next PERSONAL computing device is going to be simple, easy on the eyes, and easy on the mind. A decent screen and little to think about.
    Palm, help a brother out and take another $150 off the price PLEASE.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PTUser View Post
    The Eee spec's scream "Auto-PC". I use my 10.1" Lifebook to "pimp" out my ride - not. But I do use it in the car. Still imagine:
    - bluetooth dongle
    - GPS Receiver and navigation software
    - tethered internet connectivity (or use one of those wireless routers that work with a cellular data card.)
    - wireless input devices.

Now the possibilities are incredibile. People WILL do some amazing automobile audio/video with this. Ooops! I forgot the direct vent cooling (easier than it sounds.) Oh, and since it's summer and as hot and unvented as the Eee is, better include a fire extinguisher
    If it's not rigged in a big rig, consoled in an suv, hanging in a minivan or cradled in a car some how, then I would have no use for it. I'll take the cooler(literally) Foleo and just keep things simple. I have power in another device. My next PERSONAL computing device is going to be simple, easy on the eyes, and easy on the mind. A decent screen and little to think about.
    Palm, help a brother out and take another $150 off the price PLEASE.
    What the hell do you expect do with the Foleo in your car?
    don't mind being the Ginnea pig on this one and let you all know if it's worth it's wight in plastic (LOL)
    I'll put windows XP on, possibly even try to do a reduced install using nlite.
    We'll see.
    I know it's a bit ridiculous to even consider this. But I wonder if there's any way to upgrade the RAM in this from 256MB to 512MB, even if it means cracking the case open. I wonder if it takes any kind of standard module or if the RAM is soldered on to the board. Hmmmm. Doing so starts to make the price no longer trivial, but makes it more useful. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

By the way, really the only reason to get one of these is the SIZE & weight. If you don't care about size, you're better off getting a real laptop for cheap like this one for $470. http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...51&dcaid=17051
    Otherwise it's simply just an underpowered laptop with a screen that's too small
    Just in case someone had the bad idea of getting one of these for a family member with limited computer needs.
    Last edited by taylorh; 07/16/2007 at 12:29 PM.
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    I see this as being really useful for kids in middle/high school. @ $250 you won't kill them for forgetting it on the bus or something. I don't think it would be worthwhile to try and make it into a business laptop though, XP would be a good geek experiment I guess but true geeks will be happier with Linux anyway
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast