Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoganT View Post
    What the hell do you expect do with the Foleo in your car?
    The Eee would is the more suitable Auto-PC. The Foleo is my relaxing around the house, keep it simple, falling asleep with it in my lap device for PERSONAL use. It may leave the house when going on day trips to the kid events where I'll have a lot of time just sitting and waiting or breakfast in the diner.
    On the business side, I am hoping to deploy a Foleo type solution for my mobile sales reps. The simplest, most dummy-proof device required. The Foleo is missing just a few parts (a Citrix and/or terminal services client primarily) and again is at least $100 higher than I would like.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
    Quote Originally Posted by braj View Post
    I see this as being really useful for kids in middle/high school. @ $250 you won't kill them for forgetting it on the bus or something. I don't think it would be worthwhile to try and make it into a business laptop though, XP would be a good geek experiment I guess but true geeks will be happier with Linux anyway
    But if the eeePC is as cheap and plastic-y as some of the reviews say it is, kids are more likely to break it, nullifying the cheapness advantage. Yes, putting XP on this machine is likely to be a waste of a perfectly good, fun toy. Installing Ubuntu or Knoppix on the other hand, is likely to be a no-brainer. It's the perfect machine for playing around with different operating systems while leaving your "real" machine intact.
    Can you teather your Treo to Asus Eee PC ?
    This is just an opening salvo in the small PC utility market, and I am willing to say right now that Palm is waaaaaaay over their heads and going to lose. I remember these asian motherboard manufacturers expanding beyond their matured markets into thumbdrives and a bunch of other lucrative (at the time) gizmos, driving down the prices and expanding the capabilities. Palm has PDAs and the Treo, and hasn't done a thing for a while with PDAs. These overseas companies usually produce cr@p the first out of the chute.... but it's their third and fourth generation that you gotta look out for. They'll dump this first one out, and then "course correct." I would really like to see Palm return to their glory days of innovation (even if it was mostly stealing ideas from SONY and TRG), but the Fooleo is a huge gamble in an area Palm has little street cred. As much as Palm wants to say it's not a crippled laptop....within a year it will likely be apparent the Fooleo is a crippled laptop. If ASUS can put out stuff like this already, if interest is there (which Palm believes), within a year the market will have others - possibly with rubberized magnesium covers just like the Fooleo.

I hate Monday morning quarterbacking, but the money and time spent dawdling over the Fooleo should have been put into improving and expanding upon the strengths of the Treo. The Treo is floundering and bad backwards steps have been made (battery life, miniSD, stagnant RAM capacity, loss of reset holes, etc). And an entire year to get a basic maintenance patch out for the 700p indicates either complete lack of concern for customers, insufficient resources to support what they build, or both. Hardly the time to further dilute resources by taking on ASUS and every other manufacturer. And, does Palm think Dell is incapable of knocking out something much better and cheaper for a couple hundred less if the market is there?

Palm is Fooleoing while Rome burns. The Treo and PDAs are their strengths, and they toss that away at their peril.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    If it feels as cheap as its price tag, that's kinda scary.

If it runs Linux and has no built-in Bluetooth, that severely limits its usefulness to me - especially as a Treo companion. I'm not sure how folks think it's a Foleo replacement, if the Foleo's primary purpose and functionality is as a Treo companion.

I'd want to run my navigation software on it, for those times when the Treo's screen and functionality just ain't cuttin' it. I could get around the inconvenience of no optical drive, I suppose, but the lack of a Windows environment makes me wonder how I'd plunk my nav. and other software on it.

Cramming XP on there sounds kinda interesting, but also kinda like we'd be pushing it - practically and economically speaking.

At this point, I find myself kinda frowning on the Foleo and the EEE and just wishing I still had my cheap little 14 inch Dell.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthRepublican View Post
    Agreed. You can't expect much beyond a fun, occasionally useful toy. About the only truly useful purpose that I can think of for this device is as a tool for repairing "real" PCs. You can easily carry this device to a friend (or possibly a client's) home where there is a dead PC and use it to connect to the Internet and to various peripherals and possibly narrow down a software or hardware problem.

A more fun usage would be -- and I've mentioned this a bunch of times before -- is as a portable video player. It has VGA out and a hard disk big enough to hold several hours of video (or a couple of DVD images). Unless the screen is absolutely horrible, the eeePC would be perfect for this purpose.

If you've got an extra $250 and love to play with gadgets, I don't see why you wouldn't get this machine.
    I am using a 7" Kohjinsha to replace my 17" power book. You can actually work with 7" because I want to have very light notebook. I carry my Kohjinsha for the whole 12 hours without feeling pain on my shoulder. Kohjinsha is only 0.7 kg with battery. It has 4-5 hours of battery life. BT and wifi and swivel screen to make it a tablet pc with touch screen. Mine is 100G version with 500mhz AMD CPU. The spec is good enough for me to do email, read and edit office, browse, and store my music and video file. Yes the screen is a bit small but I hook it up to 19' in the office.
    Need WIFI, 3.5G, slim and light form factor for Treo to win me back from Samsung i600 !!!!!
    I have to admit, considering an ASUS EEEPC for $350 seems hard to swallow when I see ads for $499 laptops like this:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&sku=A180-1414
    And that includes Windows Vista.
    Now take the EEEPC for $350. You'll want to add some SD cards to or USB hard drive for some actual storage for an additional cost.

But the difference is certainly the size and weight. The whole point of this EEEPC is that it's relatively tiny as well as cheap, something other laptops this size are not. And this cheap laptop I'm linking to has a "shipping weight" of 9lbs and it's certainly not small.

So if you're considering the EEEPC just because it's cheap, then don't. There are better ones for a mere $500 which includes a license to Vista which is a $230 value for home edition.
    But for me, I have decent laptop. I'm just looking for something small I can cart with me more places.
    Bad news on my end. I decided to stay with full laptops for all my usage, even if I have to pay extra for a 10-13" screen laptop for travel(for some reason small screens usually cost more). Just can't give up the functionality, even as a 2nd laptop. However, I still think the Asus is more functional than the Foleo at the price. I just had to look at my needs and realize neither will work efficiently for me.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    ..for some reason small screens usually cost more
    That's partly because they sell a lot less of them but mostly because they know people are willing to pay a premium for them My Vaio T2XP cost an arm and a leg but I think it's worth it
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12