Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    OK, it's not a laptop. But like a laptop, it will probably have sensitive information on it. And like a laptop, it will be easy for somebody to steal. But a laptop normally has some sort of security on it, from a login password through to Encrypting File System or the like, many now come with fingerprint readers and the like.

Foleo is instant on - where's the security??
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    You have the ability to password protect the device. You can also set up the password protection so its disabled when the paired Treo device is within Bluetooth range (although that's optional).
    Oooo, I like the "Treo BT Key" idea.

How would this feature affect battery life and "instant on" capabilities? I take it not much?
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    I wonder how protected is the internal CompactFlash card. If someone removes the card and mounts it on any other PC, is the password protection defeated, and the contents of the card fully accessible?
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcombee View Post
    You have the ability to password protect the device. You can also set up the password protection so its disabled when the paired Treo device is within Bluetooth range (although that's optional).
    Can you set password security so the user cannot disable it? If not, it could be a dealbreaker for corporate data use.

Given that instant-on is such a big selling point, I'd guess that a lot of users would be tempted to run without a password, which would be dubious at best under EU data protection legislation (and, I'd guess under relevant legislation in the Financial Services industry). I wonder whether Sarbanes-Oxley would be relevant in the USA? Certainly the HR systems I work on have had to beef up their security under it's auspices.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    A biometric fingerprint reader for device security would be a great option for one of the next Foleo models. In addition to the Bluetooth security, this would make for a great feature for the target market -- who tends to leave laptops and BBs in taxi cabs and the like a great deal.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.