Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm not talking about replacing a laptop permanently with a Foleo but every time I have to tote around my five pound HP notebook with its powerbrick, I think about possibly replacing it when I travel. I also think about it when I have to take it off my lap and find a table because it has become too hot. And I think about it when the battery starts running low after an hour of web surfing. But can a device like the Foleo really replace a laptop?

Probably not as it's currently configured but a combination of the right software and better specs could make the Foleo a real alternative to low-end laptops. Note that I write low-end here -- I'm perfectly aware that I can buy a tiny Sony or Toshiba notebook with great battery life which is faster than my current laptop in a smaller package than the Foleo. But it would cost two thousand dollars or more. I'm not willing to pay that much.

Getting back to the Foleo, here's what I would want the Foleo to have if I'm going to use it as a real laptop alternative.

• E-mail Filters -- Sure, the Foleo has e-mail; it's the Foleo's raison d'etre. But does that e-mail application have decent filtering capabilities? I get a lot of spam.

• Youtube-- It's the biggest and hottest fad right now and it's a fad like television was a fad in the '50s. It will remain with us in some form forever. But do I need it when I'm mobile? Probably not. It would be nice to have but let's face it every iPhone review has the obligatory "Youtube looks great but don't try it with an EDGE connection" line and the Foleo would suffer the same handicap when using a cell phone's data connection.

Wifi would doubtless work great with Youtube but I've seen some public wifi spots that ban Youtube along with just about anything that could be even remotely offensive anyway, so I think I can wait until I get home to see the video of David Hasselhoff drunk.

• RSS -- Speaking of hot fads that are here to stay, I have something like fifty sites for which I use Thunderbird to fetch RSS feeds. And I suspect I'm not alone. Since the Foleo uses a custom version of Linux I'm hopeful that someone ports Thunderbird to it or releases a decent RSS reader shortly after its release. I know I could probably use Google Reader with the Foleo but I'd rather have a separate RSS reader which doesn't operate inside my browser.

• Video -- This is another reason why I'm not too worried about Youtube on the Foleo. I have over the years ripped and converted much of my DVD collection for use on my Palm devices beginning with the Tungsten E and continuing through to the LifeDrive. While the Foleo is supposed to be a drab business device, it should have the horsepower to play video. Hawkins has downplayed the Foleo's flash capabilities, suggesting that the Foleo doesn't have such horsepower and they'll need to do something to fix that problem.

• Podcasts -- I like podcasts, a lot of people do. I'm listening to a podcast right now as I compose this message. Some sort of simple pod-fetching application should be available.

• Usenet -- Yes, I still use Usenet both for text and binaries. I don't mind waiting to get home to download Usenet binaries but if my four-year old Treo 600 can access Usenet text newsgroups through Yanoff, it should be possible to write Usenet newsreader for the Foleo.

• Games -- I'm basically down to playing Diablo II on my laptop so I'm not too worried if there aren't many games on the Foleo. But having a few good non-solitaire games available for the Foleo wouldn't hurt either.

Most of these things can probably be done on the Foleo with the proper software. But video, for example will require a decent amount of processor power and storage space and while the CF and SD slots will allow you to add the latter, we can only wonder about the former for now. Personally, I don't really see why there is so much negativity surrounding the Foleo but these nagging questions will likely prevent me from getting one for a long time. (Actually, I'm more likely to buy Asus' eeePC than I am a Foleo at this point.)

I actually think that I agree with Palm's decision to not include PIM software on the Foleo. I can't remember the last time I opened the Palm Desktop application on my laptop. I'm comfortable with adding, viewing, and editing PIM data on my Treo and don't expect to feel a sudden urge to do anything with it on the Foleo.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    RE: Email Filters
    I believe in it's current configuration it will simply reflect what is on your Treo. For what you are wanting I believe the Foleo will need a standalone email application. Having a standalone email application will help sell the Foleo I believe.

A few more "required" applications;
    Google Maps
    GPS - TomTom or something like it
    Instant Messaging
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    The Folio works with your phone, so it doesn't need to duplicate what is there. googlemaps is available on the web and probably would work well on the folio with wifi. Video probably will be fixed by software within months of the folio's release.
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Good list (nicely formatted, too). "Usenet" makes me smile, though, picturing you leaving your Foleo at home and lugging the five-pounder around just to get your rec.* and alt.* on. More power to you!

I will add:

• First-class no-compromise super-compatible web browser with support for relevant client-side web technologies: JavaScript, Java Applets, Flash, etc. I think the built-in Opera is probably a good start, but there's room for improvement (tabs, multiple windows, Flash 9?, etc.). The key is to fully enable as many web apps as possible.
    • As many remote access solutions as possible: Citrix, VNC, ssh, pcAnywhere, X11, etc.
    • Ctrl and Escape (Meta) keys for the local Linux command line and the aforementioned remote access apps. Some function keys might be nice too.
    • Support for a useful selection of USB devices such as:
      • Audio in, e.g. iMic or USB headsets with some modest audio apps:
        • VOIP (Skype, others)
        • Simple audio recording and editing, e.g. podcast production, voice memo recording
      • Mass storage. In particular I want an external CompactFlash card reader for my camera's photos. (Hopefully Foleo already supports this)
      • Wired ethernet adapter
    • Modest graphics apps
      • Simple photo editing
      • Simple vector drawing
    • Some kind of on-board programming environment, where I can write and run a program directly on the Foleo. I'd love to see the gamut from shell scripting to Perl/Tcl/Tk to C/C++/Java. (Maybe the Foleo SDK runs on the Foleo itself. Who knows?)
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hlazar View Post
    ...googlemaps is available on the web and probably would work well on the folio with wifi...
    Unless the browser is updated to support tabs I prefer having Google Maps as a standalone app. At least that way I could switch between the apps/windows quickly.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    IM
    PowerPoint presentations (with ability to use a remote)
    PDF viewer
    Word/Wordperfect that includes track changes
    Excel editor
    Video player
    Faster processor.

Video player.

internal mic for viop apps.

I hope we have the Linux community behind us trying to develop these things for the 1st gen.
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    ^ Regarding RSS reading on the Folio, I've been using Google Reader (reader.google.com) and have been quite pleased. It tracks what you've read and haven't read, plus you can create your own custom RSS feads by grouping RSS feeds. If I got a Folia, I would definitely use Google's reader for keeping up with the news.

Just my 2Ę
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    IM
    PowerPoint presentations (with ability to use a remote)
    PDF viewer
    Word/Wordperfect that includes track changes
    Excel editor
    Video player
    Creation and editing of office docs are already supported. Also, an external vga connection is included to help with presentations.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Multimedia, multimedia, multimedia.
    - Support for standard and/or "On The Go" versions of Rhasody, Yahoo Music, and the like.
    - Corecodec like player for videos.
    - Flash video support
    - VOIP client support, (SIP compliant and Skype)

Citrix/ and Terminial Services clients, VNC, a system and application password manager with fingerprint scanner(cheap nowadays. I've have/had one included in my last two laptops)
    Gotta agree with ya on the multimedia angle, tabbed browsing would be nice as well. A little off-topic but Brighthand.com is reporting a release date of 8/22.
    We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthRepublican;1306751[*
    Youtube-- It's the biggest and hottest fad right now and it's a fad like television was a fad in the '50s. It will remain with us in some form forever. But do I need it when I'm mobile? Probably not. It would be nice to have but let's face it every iPhone review has the obligatory "Youtube looks great but don't try it with an EDGE connection" line and the Foleo would suffer the same handicap when using a cell phone's data connection.
    Not true at all for those of us on Sprint/Verizon. Youtube works great on the Treo using Kinoma Player and with an EVDO connection.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    If someone could hack a fully functioning Linux OS on it AND the price would drop to $299 I'd maybe buy one.
    At least 16GB Flash HD, tabbed aspect to Opera, fast enough processor to play a decent game via VPN/Remote Desktop.

Flash would be good, but not in its current form. F9 is a memory hog and has a few nasty leaks in it. Though the N800 has gotten it to play nicely, I'd still like to see it just for the sites that use Flash.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    At least 16GB Flash HD, tabbed aspect to Opera, fast enough processor to play a decent game via VPN/Remote Desktop.

Flash would be good, but not in its current form. F9 is a memory hog and has a few nasty leaks in it. Though the N800 has gotten it to play nicely, I'd still like to see it just for the sites that use Flash.

I really think the Foleo will not be for gaming at all. You're not gonna be one of their markets
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cadams View Post
    If someone could hack a fully functioning Linux OS on it AND the price would drop to $299 I'd maybe buy one.
    Asus EEPC
    "Not only have we had the chance to actually use the ASUS Eee PC, we can also confirm some important new specifications of the notebook. The Eee PC is running a version of Intelís 910 mobile chipset, it uses a 900MHz Intel Dothan based Pentium M CPU, it has 512MB of DDR2 memory, full 802.11g wireless capability, and a flash-based hard drive. There will be at least two different models of the Eee PC, with the $199 version using a 4GB flash hard drive and the $299 version using a 8GB drive."
    http://www.hothardware.com/Articles/...%5FASUS%5FEee/

I would take this over a Foleo any day of the week, and at 1/2 the cost.. I'd take two! I have been a Palm user for a long time (Visor Deluxe, Prism, Kyo 7135, Treo 650, Treo 755p), but I just don't see the Foleo as being all that useful. All it seems to offer is a larger screen and keyboard for my palm and wifi (which many new handhelds have in them anyhow). Maybe it is just me, but this does not seem like a lot of functionality for $500.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by cadams View Post
    The Foleo already has a Linux OS. How functional it will be remains to be seen. But it does have a terminal application, so there should be nothing to prevent Linux hackers from playing around on the command line. The real question is how easy or difficult it will be to port applications like Firefox and Thunderbird to the Foleo's custom GUI. If it's easy, look for lots of free Foleo apps. If it's not, the Foleo will never expand beyond its e-mail/web browsing for executives niche.
    Quote Originally Posted by swagner View Post
    Asus EEPC
    "Not only have we had the chance to actually use the ASUS Eee PC, we can also confirm some important new specifications of the notebook. The Eee PC is running a version of Intelís 910 mobile chipset, it uses a 900MHz Intel Dothan based Pentium M CPU, it has 512MB of DDR2 memory, full 802.11g wireless capability, and a flash-based hard drive. There will be at least two different models of the Eee PC, with the $199 version using a 4GB flash hard drive and the $299 version using a 8GB drive."

I would take this over a Foleo any day of the week, and at 1/2 the cost.. I'd take two! I have been a Palm user for a long time (Visor Deluxe, Prism, Kyo 7135, Treo 650, Treo 755p), but I just don't see the Foleo as being all that useful. All it seems to offer is a larger screen and keyboard for my palm and wifi (which many new handhelds have in them anyhow). Maybe it is just me, but this does not seem like a lot of functionality for $500.
    this is how I feel also, I like palm products, but my good ol common sense won't allow me to pay more for less...
    HTC Touch Pro
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by swagner View Post
    Asus EEPC

The eeePC looks good but I'm not sure I want to do a lot of web browsing on its smaller screen. To me the eeePC seems like a good multimedia machine on which I can load movies and music and use as a portable video player. I tend to agree that the Foleo in its current incarnation is overpriced. Now if Palm offered the current Foleo for $300 and a "Foleo Pro" with a faster processor, more RAM, and a touchscreen -- then the Foleo would make for a more interesting platform.

It's interesting that you can buy both a Foleo and an eeePC for the price of a low-end laptop and put together they weigh less than my 5.4 pound HP notebook. Furthermore, the typical ultraportable notebook costs more than the combined price of a Foleo, eeePC, and a low end laptop. Convergence is dead. Long live the gadget bag.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast