Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Foleo sounds like a device that could completely replace my laptop so long as I can use it to remote in to work. Has anyone heard anything about this capability?
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Foleo sounds like a device that could completely replace my laptop so long as I can use it to remote in to work. Has anyone heard anything about this capability?
    If something like VPN is what you are referring to, then yes: link

Plus, whatever can't be done now presumably can be done via programming as more 3rd party apps come out.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Remote Desktop is one of my hopes as well. Along with the VPN connection Malatesta mentioned, it would be nice if they included a Terminal Services/Remote Desktop client. It's standard on all WinMobile devices. Availability of a Citrix client would be even better. A VNC port would then wrap things up nicely. A proper Java implementation could provide a supported environment for current versions of many of these clients. However, right now full Java on the Foleo probably won't be delivered out of the box. Javascript support is included.
    As Malatesta said, 3rd party developers can fill in the voids with native software.
    Last edited by 1PTUser; 07/05/2007 at 06:56 PM.
    Ben Combee listed ssh among the Unix tools available in Terminal right out of the box, so I'm considering just setting up a 24/7 Linux file server at home. VPN would just be a bonus.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PTUser View Post
    Remote Desktop is one of my hopes as well. Along with the VPN connection Malatesta mentioned, it would be nice if they included a Terminal Services/Remote Desktop client. It's standard on all WinMobile devices. Availability of a Citrix client would be even better. A VNC port would then wrap things up nicely.
    My guess is that it wouldn't be that difficult to port on of the many existing thin client apps over to what ever flavor of Linux that is running on the Foleo. The only real problem is the custom GUI running on the Foleo. I suspect that Palm has already thought about this and very likely has a third party developer lines up to put something together. The foleo would make an ideal thin client.

Greg
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    If the Foleo can access a Terminal Services Server at a reasonable speed, ala RemotePlus, I am ready to buy one. The ability to carry a lightweight device that runs all of my office software from inside the office or home or anywhere I have a WIFI or 3G connection is what this is all about. I don't know that it really needs to have a ton of other apps.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    NoMachine is a great Linux Remote Desktop program that is faster then RDP on XP. I hope it gets ported to the Foleo then I am 100% sure to buy one. Simply having access to remote server files is NOT enough as I need to be able to run sever based apps remotely as I do from my laptop. We shall see.
    Last edited by BigTex; 07/18/2007 at 10:06 AM. Reason: another thought
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Jazzdoc & BigTex we're all in the same boat. Ben Combee, I really hope your bosses will actually listen to potential users and broaden their vision. They missed an opportunity with lifedrive. It could have been THE portable multimedia and personal mobile document management platform. With client software supporting RDP (and Citrix ICA) and VNC, the Foleo could be THE mobile companion of many IT professionals. They many not be the initial target market; but, they/we can be a powerful ally. As, I've said in other postings, with the VPN client and what we're requesting, I'd give these to EVERYONE on our sales team and some of our operations managers. When supporting mobile users, sometimes less is more and simple is preferred.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
    At the very least, the Web VNC should work, heck, it works on the iPhone.

http://www.myitablet.com/iphone-vnc-...ely-111162.php
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    At the very least, the Web VNC should work, heck, it works on the iPhone.

http://www.myitablet.com/iphone-vnc-...ely-111162.php
    Great post g-funkster. With so-much vnc code out there, it's just a matter of someone having the motivation to do it for the Foleo. However RDP and ICA(Citrix) would still be needed for those targeted mobile exec's. Soooo many companies are have deployed Citrix/Terminal Servers in recent years. I moved our organization completely to this model about 5 years ago. In fact, security, vpn and remote connectivity software is all we ever install locally on pc's.
    I just tried out the WebVNC app with my desktop PC and my Foleo. It mostly worked, but it was pretty sluggish and had some update problems in the browser.

As for other remote access solutions: we don't have anything to officially announce yet, but that an area where we are paying close attention. It's been on our wishlist for a long time, but we've been focusing on the core email-attachments-and-web features to get the device released.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Thanks BCombee. For anyone else who may be wondering what the difference is in the Remote solutions being mentioned:

Remote file access: This simply allows remote access to files stored on another machine. A good example would be Avvenu.

Remoted Control: Allows remote access and control of a PC. As a result you could be sitting on a beach with the Foleo and seeing/controlling the screen of your home or office PC. Newer subscription based offerings such as GotoMyPC are really simple to get going. Traditional software examples include VNC (RealVNC, UltraVNC, TridiaVNC, and a bunch of others), PC Anywhere, etc. Though powerful these options may require firewall/router configurations to work properly across the internet and are intended of one user to access one machine. Some remote control solutions do not support file transfers, just remote control.

Enterprise Remote Desktop Solutions: Examples include market leader Citrix via their ICA protocol or Microsoft's Terminal Services using the ubiquitous RDP protocol. These allow multiple users to access the same server or server farm at the same time; yet, work in individual environments with complete desktops or remote applications. Instead of installing an app on 100 users PC's, We install on a couple servers and everybody can run the app as though it was on their own PC. For mobile users and all execs, the pc's boot up and show their personal windows/Linux desktop; but it's really running on a server. No matter where they login from they always have their "desktop" with their icons, shortcuts, and applications.
    Finally, terminal services has been included with every windows desktop and server version for years. Without a special license however, no more than two users at a time can remotely access the host computer.

Anyone else, please feel free to fill in any gaps I left.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Porting RealVNC or rdesktop to Linux/ARM should be fairly easy -- I think others may have done it already. Not sure how fast the framebuffer on the Foleo is, whether it can handle "real time"-looking VNC screen refreshes ...

As others have mentioned though, if you want to remotely access an office machine behind a firewall, you'll need something like GoToMyPC or a real VPN client.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    This is where the Foleo could REALLY shine since it is Linux based. I realize that it does not use GNOME, rather a custom desktop but....

http://online-desktop.org/wiki/Online_Desktop
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    I asked that same question at the NYC event and I was told to look for VNC and redesktop at or shortly after launch in addition to the solution being offered by Avvenu.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    At the Foleo preview I went to, I asked about the Palm SDK. It will be available for free to anyone. Compiling code in Linux once you have the SDK for a particular system and the source of the application you want to port is usually pretty easy. Sometimes it is just a matter of running the compile scripts. I am still thinking about the Foleo. It is getting more appealing to me by the day.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    I just ran across this over at the Citrix Site:

http://www.citrix.com/site/SS/downlo...ownloadID=3323

Notice the build of a Citrix client for ARM Linux. This seems interesting.

TKOS
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingOfSting View Post
    I just ran across this over at the Citrix Site:

http://www.citrix.com/site/SS/downlo...ownloadID=3323

Notice the build of a Citrix client for ARM Linux. This seems interesting.

TKOS
    Look at the dates. 2000 seems to be a tad old.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Getting the hamchi linux client ported would also be nice
    Seeing as the Foleo runs Linux, rdesktop should compile easily so you can use RDP to your servers.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast