Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    I am about to take a 2 week "working vacation" up to the north woods to my vacation house. I still need to stay connected and have purchased HughesNet Sat internet and have a wireless router. I have to break down my Gateway 17" laptop that I use with a 21" Monitor and BT Keyboard so I can connect to my network server while I am away. This sux 'cuz the laptop is also my preferred fax machine (winfax) 'cuz I can easily print to PDF and store on Remote company Server. (efax is too expensive based upon volume.) Now I must fwd my fax elsewhere and lug the heavy monster with me.

I would prefer to have something like the Folio with instant on so I can access the server (Server has Office, Acrobat pro and various industry specific apps and all company data) via wifi and leave the laptop at home. I will buy one when it comes out.
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I bought a smartphone becuase i was tired of carrying "companions" with me. If you can't see why people are laughing at palm, then you need help.

BUT...and this is a key point...IMPROVE THE TREO. Maybe i'd surf on it more if it was like the iphone's browser combined with the speed of rev a. If i want to type a book, i'll use my laptop.

So now i should maintain a Treo, a foleo, AND my laptop? No thanks. And this foleo will not come close to replacing a light laptop.
    Is Palm's orginial idea to ask you to replace your laptop with Foleo?

Regardless of how good is your Treo, there is no way to do the following better than a big screen:

1. Try reading a 5 pages PDF files;
    2. Try reading or editing a 30 pages Word document;
    3. Try reading a two full pages email; and
    4. Go to the website not formatting for mobile device.
  3. vrf
    So now i should maintain a Treo, a foleo, AND my laptop? No thanks. And this foleo will not come close to replacing a light laptop.

The foleo is a bad idea and one could argue that you only see a need for it based on our current outdated software/hardware on old treos...
    The fact that you repeatedly call the Foleo a bad idea simply because it won't work for you reeks of a pathetically narrow-minded view of what people use computers for.

The Foleo will do 100% of many users' needs. Being instant-on, light-weight, with great battery life... well, no laptop has these things. How is this a bad idea? It doesn't work for you.. fine. But it will work for lots of people.

For me, no laptop does what my workstations do or allows the customization that I need, so I don't use a laptop as a main computer. I don't use laptops at all. But when I'm out and about, drinking a latte or watching my daughter go down the slide in the park, I love writing on these light-weight, instant-on devices. (Currently an AlphaSmart and a MobilePro.) The Foleo is the next generation of this idea.

Learn to see what other people use computers for, where they use them, and what features they need at what times. Your arrogance is seriously getting old. You sound like a little kid.
    Quote Originally Posted by vrf View Post
    The fact that you repeatedly call the Foleo a bad idea simply because it won't work for you reeks of a pathetically narrow-minded view of what people use computers for.

The Foleo will do 100% of many users' needs. Being instant-on, light-weight, with great battery life... well, no laptop has these things. How is this a bad idea? It doesn't work for you.. fine. But it will work for lots of people.

For me, no laptop does what my workstations do or allows the customization that I need, so I don't use a laptop as a main computer. I don't use laptops at all. But when I'm out and about, drinking a latte or watching my daughter go down the slide in the park, I love writing on these light-weight, instant-on devices. (Currently an AlphaSmart and a MobilePro.) The Foleo is the next generation of this idea.

Learn to see what other people use computers for, where they use them, and what features they need at what times. Your arrogance is seriously getting old. You sound like a little kid.
    Sorry dude, you sound like an *****..lol "i don't use laptops at all" Yes, you're a fine example of what most people use computers for.. Use some common sense and realize you're in a tiny tiny minority.

Tell ya what though..i don't go to coffee shops. Or bring a laptop to write a book while out with the daughter.

The foleo is a mess and will flop.
    Last edited by cardfan; 09/02/2007 at 11:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post
    Is Palm's orginial idea to ask you to replace your laptop with Foleo?

Regardless of how good is your Treo, there is no way to do the following better than a big screen:

1. Try reading a 5 pages PDF files;
    2. Try reading or editing a 30 pages Word document;
    3. Try reading a two full pages email; and
    4. Go to the website not formatting for mobile device.
    1. easy to do on an improved treo (or even an iphone)
    2. I'd do something like that on a laptop. Not the fooleo.
    3. see #1
    4. see #1. You're too used to the crappy browser on current Treos.
    Sorry dude, you sound like an *****..lol "i don't use laptops at all" Yes, you're a fine example of what most people use computers for.. Use some common sense and realize you're in a tiny tiny minority.

Tell ya what though..i don't go to coffee shops. Or bring a laptop to write a book while out with the daughter.

The foleo is a mess and will flop.
    No he isn't. Most people who use notebook computers use them mainly for checking email, surfing the net, or view/editting documents. The lions share of notebook users do not use them as their primary system. This guy prefers doing ihs mobile computing while at the park with his daugher. I prefer doing it laying on my couch. If I really want to get some work done, I go to my office and fire up my Dual Core workstation with my dual 22" LCDs.

You can do the things that most people typically do on a notbook on a foleo.

TKOS
    Last edited by TheKingOfSting; 09/02/2007 at 12:08 PM.
    1. easy to do on an improved treo (or even an iphone)
    2. I'd do something like that on a laptop. Not the fooleo.
    3. see #1
    4. see #1. You're too used to the crappy browser on current Treos.
    You are missing the point here. These things CAN be done on a Treo, but it isn't a pleasant experience nor is it very productive. I think most people on this boards would agree that it is much easier to do these things with a bigger screen and a full sized keyboard. Yes, you can do them with a notebook, but what if you don't need everything the notebook provides. What if all you need are the basics? The Foleo gives you these at a very reasonable price.

If you don't like the Foleo. Cool. I'm sure Sony, Dell, or who ever else would be happy to take $1k-$2k from you for a nice notebook. I am going to happily give Palm my $500 for mobile device (foleo) that does everything I need it to do.

TKOS
    The foleo is a bad idea and one could argue that you only see a need for it based on our current outdated software/hardware on old treos.
    Actually, I argue that the Foleo is a good idea based on the poor performance, overheating, bad battery life and Win XP/Vista which makes a awful mobile OS e.g. why do I feel I need to use a mouse in XP to actually do things reasonably fast?

Sure. like others here, I could go out and buy the "latest" laptop for $2k which improves on the above (except for the Windows/OS X part) but in a lot of ways, my current laptop is not that outdated, nor is it practical to spend that money when the Foleo does what I need.

My 700wx works just fine--it's the laptop I can't stand. If you do a lot of writing, email checking and office applications, the Foleo looks to be a great option for many. It's the simplicity I'm after, something which Apple has an idea of and MS has never learned.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    It's the simplicity I'm after, something which Apple has an idea of and MS has never learned.
    i completely agree! It's been my motto for palm all along... simplicity and ease of use... i think that is the "Zen of Palm" that we all love and know It's the "Immediacy" of Palm use, and Palm tries to pick just a few things we do on our laptops, focus on it, and do it WELL.

Actually Apple used to be that simple until MacOSX and then Leopard came along... Panther and the prev OS's NEVER crashed like the current Os's do.
    Let me apologize for the ***** statement. Not sure why i typed that..didn't mean it.

If being able to email, display and edit Word, Excel, and pdf files along with a (maybe not so full) web browser would fit the bill of what i needed on the road, i'd be all over it.

Perhaps this will serve most on here. In accounting and more specifically, auditing, i'm forced to use audit and tax software. Sure, we do a lot of spreadsheets, but they're tied in to the engagement software. There's even half a dozen other programs like a windows based such as an amortization program that's used.

Looking at the Foleo some more on the website, i could see how it might be nice at its price point to have an instant on, light, 10" pad & screen. But what frustrates me about the whole thing is that i feel the Treo needs improvement first. Over on the 700p forum, there's more and more just leaving for BB, windows mobile (too much tweaking..getting kinda tired of that), etc.

After using the wife's iphone for a few days but having to return due to poor coverage, it was night & day vs the treo in terms of reading pdfs or browsing the web. While i'm not sure if the Treo will ever get a widescreen as big, they sure as heck could improve the web experience and reading attachments.

But who knows...for 400, i could spring for one if its small enough and really does what Palm says it will do. I'm curious enough. But i still remain skeptical that this won't flop.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Cardfan,

Your last post was very conciliatory. Thank you. I have a problem being able to use several apps that are windows only apps (Calyx Point, QuickBooks, trakker) but all of them can be accessed on the server the are installed on and run on the server from the foleo via LogMeIn. Well at least that is what I am hoping for. I would rather take the FOlio on trips and leave my laptop/desktop replacement on my desk.
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    I'm not decided on this one. I'd like something less expensive than my 2K laptop with a bigger screen than the Treo. But since I already own my laptops (sony T250 & UX180), I can't see shelling out the cash for the folio. I love my UX180 which is a full blown laptop in weighs only 1LB, but I dislike zooming in and out to view the screen or carrying reading glasses.

Having said all that, If apple can sell an iPod companion so that you can view the video on a larger screen (something that was already doable, via computer, prior to their iTunes update), then palm should be able to do the same. Unfortunately, palm has to market better and they won't.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    Having said all that, If apple can sell an iPod companion so that you can view the video on a larger screen (something that was already doable, via computer, prior to their iTunes update), then palm should be able to do the same. Unfortunately, palm has to market better and they won't.
    If you knew that, I believe Palm's management also know about it. MS put 500m in promoting Xbox but it is equivalent to all the cash of Palm. For a small cap, it has a lot of resources constraint.
    Let me apologize for the ***** statement. Not sure why i typed that..didn't mean it.

If being able to email, display and edit Word, Excel, and pdf files along with a (maybe not so full) web browser would fit the bill of what i needed on the road, i'd be all over it.

Perhaps this will serve most on here. In accounting and more specifically, auditing, i'm forced to use audit and tax software. Sure, we do a lot of spreadsheets, but they're tied in to the engagement software. There's even half a dozen other programs like a windows based such as an amortization program that's used.

Looking at the Foleo some more on the website, i could see how it might be nice at its price point to have an instant on, light, 10" pad & screen. But what frustrates me about the whole thing is that i feel the Treo needs improvement first. Over on the 700p forum, there's more and more just leaving for BB, windows mobile (too much tweaking..getting kinda tired of that), etc.

After using the wife's iphone for a few days but having to return due to poor coverage, it was night & day vs the treo in terms of reading pdfs or browsing the web. While i'm not sure if the Treo will ever get a widescreen as big, they sure as heck could improve the web experience and reading attachments.

But who knows...for 400, i could spring for one if its small enough and really does what Palm says it will do. I'm curious enough. But i still remain skeptical that this won't flop.
    Guess my skepticism was a healthy one..lol Seriously, i really hope Palm knocks us out on the next Treo. Have to have a companion first that isn't in trouble before the foleo.
    Early Foleo review posted. Full details to follow.

A few tidbits:

Foleo is completely DEAD. No future versions. Bugs > Elevation supplied the coup de grace.

Palm might agree to sell off its inventory to interested parties. If you want to "encourage" Palm to sell you a Foleo, drop a line to ed.colligan@palm.com and jeff.hawkins@palm.com

A couple thousand Foleos are sitting in storage, awaiting their fate.

Unfortunately, the functionality of the Asus EeePC absolutely CRUSHES the Foleo. And remember: orphan Foleo adoption = no apps, no bugfixs, no support. Not for the faint of heart.
    Have you seen the Asus Eee PC? Maybe this is why Palm decided to back off on the Folio.
    It seems that Asus has a better idea of a solution that what Palm had intended. I think the Asus will do well. They have picked a safer approach by marketing their product to the entry/child level. They also might solve a smaller niche market but one that I have searching for a long time.
    My ideal device:
    [LIST]
    Instant on/off (not exactly but with 10 to15 seconds it's not bad)
    Wifi and Internet connection - Firefox
    Basic Word and Excel compatibility - Open Office
    Email - ?

The Asus is not too far off and at a great price. I would have been willing to pay more.
    Quote Originally Posted by alanfujii View Post
    Email - ?
    Thunderbird
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789