Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 177
  1. Gerorne's Avatar
    Posts
    506 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #81  
    Oh. I think I was trying to say that Palm initially was hoping to release the Palm several months from now. So they had to move up the release to August to get out there before the Eee does. Being released before (about the same time) as the, and being released several months after the Eee is a pretty big difference I would think, depending on the marketing and ad campaigns each device has.
    Last edited by Gerorne; 07/25/2007 at 08:16 AM.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

    Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
  2. #82  
    So I think I misunderstanding here, August 22 Foleo release date not the actual Palm plan? I tought Palm boosted the release date to early next month, maybe like Chupa said August 6.

    Lets see what will happen next month when 2 sub-notes debute on market.
  3. Gerorne's Avatar
    Posts
    506 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #83  
    I'm saying that the August release date is the NEW release date. Palm had originally envisioned releasing it much later, and thought they had plenty of time to fix all the issues that people are complaining about. But their original plan had to change, and they had to move the release to TO the current August 22nd date (or whatever it will actually turn out to be), because of the competition.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

    Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
  4. TxDot's Avatar
    Posts
    892 Posts
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    #84  
    At this point these dates are all speculation. Correct? We don't know anything for certain. Kinda like a lot of things where the Foleo is concerned. In time we'll know a lot more for certain.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

    Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
  5. Gerorne's Avatar
    Posts
    506 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #85  
    Yes it is pretty much speculation. The release date we'll eventually find out. But how much they had to move the release date, we'll probably never know.

    Although I do wish I was clear with my first post and it didn't result in so many back and forth responses.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

    Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
  6.    #86  
    I previously thought Palminfocenter was a legitimate site, but the site owner neither has had the decency to respond to my colleague's requests to remove his PERSONAL photos that Palminfocenter had copied onto the site, nor has he complied with any of those requests.

    Several email were sent to Palminfocenter and still no response. Very classy. No wonder that site is in the toilet.
  7.    #87  
    Anyone hear whether or not the Palm beta test advertised recently was for a Foleo or for a Palm Linux Treo?




    Also, anyone ever use this on a Linux desktop:

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/pose/
  8. Gerorne's Avatar
    Posts
    506 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #88  
    That is weird about palminfocenter.

    And if people were accepted into the beta test... would they be allowed to say what it was for?
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

    Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
  9. #89  
    There was no mention of a platform for the beta, only questions to the devices that people owned, and the ability to use a desktop OS once a day to log findings. There's a bit too much conjecture about the beta test and what it may be for. Given how most beta tests go that I've been a part of (or development timelines), the software won't be primetime for another 6-8 months, and that's if things work out well. If its a Treo app, then it also has to get some level of carrier approval - lest its a software service. In that case the turn over time will not only be a lot faster, but the beta testing group will also get really quiet on various subjects. Peronally, I wouldnt be surprised if the Foleo is involved, but not at the level people are thinking about it.

    Surprised about PIC doing that. Weird.

    There has been no official release date, only (well tuned and loud --for these parts) conjecture. We won't know until it happens, but most who have written about it have a good idea and are usually not off in these things.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

    Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Chupacabra View Post
    Thank you for your incredibly intelligent contribution to this discussion. I'm sure everyone here will be anxious to hear what other brilliant insights you have to add to this thread. Perhaps you could start out by posting a 500 word summary of what YOU think is "the point of the Foleo". You might want to check with Palm first, since many people are starting to wonder if even Palm still knows what "the Point of the Foleo" is now that they've had to rush it out the door. Can't wait to hear your dissertation.

    P.S. Donna says cheerleading practice will be after school tomorrow at 5:30. Bring your orange pom-poms and wear some looser panties this time so they don't get all knotted up again. We hate to see you in pain. Take care.
    As a person heavily involved in the GNU Linux community for over 10 years, I think I'd have quite alot to offer. For example, I plan on creating a Samba implementation for my foleo and will happily share it with the community.

    So, I havn't had my hands on the device... This will change in a few weeks.

    Pages of negative opinion about a device for which many of us here have interest in is of no value.

    Read the article on the front page of Treo Central, posted today, about the Foleo. I am not the only one who seems to get the point of this device. This article does a wonderful job of detailing the "point of the foleo."

    I am not going to waste my time responding to your last comment -- very immature.

    Greg
  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Chupacabra View Post
    I previously thought Palminfocenter was a legitimate site, but the site owner neither has had the decency to respond to my colleague's requests to remove his PERSONAL photos that Palminfocenter had copied onto the site, nor has he complied with any of those requests.

    Several email were sent to Palminfocenter and still no response. Very classy. No wonder that site is in the toilet.
    And it still is. They are like any other form of media... You release something to them that people want to know about and they are going to publish it. If you didn't want it out there, then you should not have posted it.

    Send a picture of a high profile political figure doing something very inappropriate to any major newspaper.... wait a few hours and then see how far you get at asking them not to publish it...

    If Palm is upset about a few pictures, then the person to blame is whoever let your buddy monkey around with the Foleo like he did. Palminfocentral is only reporting what WE, the user base, wants to hear -- information about the Foleo. If the device is going to be deployed in the next few weeks, then it is already being manufactured. A few pictures of hardware specs isn't going to change anything.

    Greg
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    From what I've read, they didn't want to release the Foleo at this time. They had more plans for it. But because of competing products that were going to be released (Asus Eee and what else? The Eee is really the only one I hear about.) it was better to release it now.
    Which actually falls inline with GNU development. Release Early and Release Often is a concept that most GNU projects live by:

    http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/ca...r/ar01s04.html
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by gzartman View Post
    Which actually falls inline with GNU development. Release Early and Release Often is a concept that most GNU projects live by:

    http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/ca...r/ar01s04.html
    IMHO, This idea is no good for the end users.
  14. Gerorne's Avatar
    Posts
    506 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by gzartman View Post
    And it still is. They are like any other form of media... You release something to them that people want to know about and they are going to publish it. If you didn't want it out there, then you should not have posted it.

    Send a picture of a high profile political figure doing something very inappropriate to any major newspaper.... wait a few hours and then see how far you get at asking them not to publish it...

    If Palm is upset about a few pictures, then the person to blame is whoever let your buddy monkey around with the Foleo like he did. Palminfocentral is only reporting what WE, the user base, wants to hear -- information about the Foleo. If the device is going to be deployed in the next few weeks, then it is already being manufactured. A few pictures of hardware specs isn't going to change anything.

    Greg
    Of course they should leave the story up. But that image isn't there's to use right? I suppose they'd only take it down if approached by a lawyer? I suppose I understand, but it also make me sad.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

    Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
  15. #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post
    IMHO, This idea is no good for the end users.

    You must have not read the document that my link points to...

    The release early and release often philosphy actually benifits the community at large because it gets the code out in front of people early so everyone can voice opinions, find problems, etc, etc. The result is that user response is addressed quickly and incorporated into the product. It is quite effective..

    Greg
  16. TxDot's Avatar
    Posts
    892 Posts
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Chupacabra View Post
    ...Also, anyone ever use this on a Linux desktop...
    The release date, April 15, 2002, is so old I doubt it would be of much value. Maybe the Foleo and future Treo's being based off of Linux will create renewed interest. Unless of course Palm Development provides their own emulator will is actually the most likely scenario.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

    Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
  17. TxDot's Avatar
    Posts
    892 Posts
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post
    IMHO, This idea is no good for the end users.
    This is good for end users in that fixes are available much quicker. Typically for the size applications we're talking about the installation is so quick that having to upgrade often is not a big deal. Some of the most popular applications for the Treo were the most updated. Think ChatterMail and VolumeCare.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

    Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
  18. #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot View Post
    This is good for end users in that fixes are available much quicker. Typically for the size applications we're talking about the installation is so quick that having to upgrade often is not a big deal. Some of the most popular applications for the Treo were the most updated. Think ChatterMail and VolumeCare.
    I am talking about the non-tech background end users (majority). In my office, none of the Treo users will visit the Treo forum. They just use the device built-in application. They don't bother about the fix. If they have problem, they just call the IT support. Another good example is how many mobile phone users know they can upgrade their phone firmware.
  19. #99  
    Post Deleted --- Created A New Thread.
    Last edited by gzartman; 07/26/2007 at 11:58 AM.
  20.    #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    That is weird about palminfocenter.

    And if people were accepted into the beta test... would they be allowed to say what it was for?

    I will no longer be reading Palminfocenter. The editor, Ryan's actions in this matter appear to be downright sleazy.

    Yes, people who sign NDAs couldn't say, but maybe someone else could drop us a hint?

Posting Permissions