Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1.    #61  
    My colleague wanted to pass on that he was removing the sharing of a certain photo - it apparently caused a bit of a stir at Palm. I think Palm is lucky he didn't have a screwdriver (or scalpel) handy during the demo session, otherwise we would have seen a complete Foleo anatomy dissection! (Autopsy? ) Great set of posts this all generated from last weekend, though!

Someone apparently posted the Foleo specs photo to another site and they have been notified to take it down. The Foleo needs to be judged as a whole rather than the sum of a few specs. Hopefully Palm will get all the software together on the Foleo in time that it will still matter.

I saw the Palm request for beta testers earlier today:
    https://feedback.palm.com/r/?49ED1B0...7A5CCA9B3F54CC

Hopefully this isn't about a last-minute shakedown of the Foleo that will mean it gets delayed some more. I assume they would only want VersaMail users?
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Am I the only one who doesn't want Palm OS apps running on the Foleo? Has anyone here ever used the Simulator on their desktop and seen how much it stretches things? Don't get me wrong, the Linux Treos better have backwards compatibility with all Palm OS apps, but for the Foleo, I'd much rather see ports, the way they're doing it now.

I think it would be cool if one of the standard apps on the Foleo was a fullscreen landscape PalmOS emulator that saved all "installed" apps to internal memoryand came with a dedicated hardware button to bring it up onto the screen. Palm could easily include a landscape version of PalmOS emulator - Sony did this with the CLIE UX50 simulator for Windows. The only problem is that the Foleo likely has quadruple the screen resolution of the UX50. Apps might not look extremely sharp, but at least the Foleo would hit the stores already able to run THOUSANDS of legacy apps right out of the box. With the Foleo's instant-on ability, it could act as a giant-screened PDA! How many nostalgic PalmOS fans would love to be able to INSTANTLY see familiar, old apps on their Foleo screen? And look at how many obscure PalmOS specialty apps users love but hate squinting at on a Treo or regular PDA to view? Palm is blowing a huge opportinity by shipping the Foleo without the PalmOS emulator onboard.
  3.    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Chupacabra View Post

Hopefully this isn't about a last-minute shakedown of the Foleo that will mean it gets delayed some more. I assume they would only want VersaMail users?
    I wonder why Palm is only listed as a customer for HARDWARE beta testing? Very interesting.

http://www.centercode.com/default.ph...dwareCustomers
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    My colleague wanted to pass on that he was removing the sharing of a certain photo - it apparently caused a bit of a stir at Palm. I think Palm is lucky he didn't have a screwdriver (or scalpel) handy during the demo session, otherwise we would have seen a complete Foleo anatomy dissection! (Autopsy? ) Great set of posts this all generated from last weekend, though!

Someone apparently posted the Foleo specs photo to another site and they have been notified to take it down. The Foleo needs to be judged as a whole rather than the sum of a few specs. Hopefully Palm will get all the software together on the Foleo in time that it will still matter.

Good thing I saved the photo already.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Did Palm code the software included in the Foleo or was the software development outsourced? If you lack the resources to produce superior software, why not simply contract with proven independent developers to have the software made?
    You did make some very good points in your review of the Foleo, however I believe you are looking at the Foleo as if it were any other laptop on the market. IMO, you can't look at it this way.

The value I see in the Foleo is the instant on technology, or the ability to easily and quickly connect with the internet (i.e., web and email) in seconds. Very often, I find myself surfing google, or checking my email, from my Treo with its small screen. Yes, I have my laptop, but it is often a hassle to pull it out and fire it up when all I want to do is a quick google search. I pull our my Treo because I can hit one button and I'm online. With Foleo, I envision this occurring as easily as it is on my Treo except I'll be doing it with a big screen and a full keyboard.

Palm has made it VERY clear that this device is NOT a laptop. If it were meant to be a laptop, then why include a proprietary GUI that can't run any of the mainstream app? As a minimum, it should be running Pocket PC if it were trying to be a laptop replacement. The fact that it isn't says volumes about it's intended use.

This device is really attempting to enhance our ability to communicate, not give us a device to watch movies, play music, or install typical office software. There are already alot of people doing this and doing it well. Foleo is targeting a much different market.

IMO, you completely missed the point of the Foleo. As such, your review of it is of very little value beyond the pictures and technical specs reported. End of story.

Greg
    Last edited by gzartman; 07/24/2007 at 09:09 PM.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Yo gzartman, that was a rough ending. I think the review was valuable even if the reviewers expectations were too high (at least in my opinion).
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot View Post
    Yo gzartman, that was a rough ending. I think the review was valuable even if the reviewers expectations were too high (at least in my opinion).
    Indeed.

After the first half dozen posts bashing the Foleo, I thought it was time to speak up.

It is obvious that the device is not for everyone. I appreciate most anyone's opinions, especially those with new information to share. However, when a person climbs up a "soap box" and won't come down, their opinions lose value.

I think most of us follow this forum because we are interested in the device, not because we want to see it crash and burn.

Greg
  8.    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by gzartman View Post
    IMO, you completely missed the point of the Foleo. As such, your review of it is of very little value beyond the pictures and technical specs reported. End of story.

Greg

Thank you for your incredibly intelligent contribution to this discussion. I'm sure everyone here will be anxious to hear what other brilliant insights you have to add to this thread. Perhaps you could start out by posting a 500 word summary of what YOU think is "the point of the Foleo". You might want to check with Palm first, since many people are starting to wonder if even Palm still knows what "the Point of the Foleo" is now that they've had to rush it out the door. Can't wait to hear your dissertation.

P.S. Donna says cheerleading practice will be after school tomorrow at 5:30. Bring your orange pom-poms and wear some looser panties this time so they don't get all knotted up again. We hate to see you in pain. Take care.
  9.    #69  
    The Palminfocenter editor copied my colleague's photos (without permission) and has them posted in a front page story on his website. Requests that he remove the photos have been ignored . I would appreciate it if people here would post to his site telling him to respect the wishes of my colleague that he remove the photos. Thank you.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    This might make it worse, but brighthand and the 1src podcast, while they don't use the picture, have both reported the information, and both referred to the original pic.

... and I'm gonna back away a bit before this heat turns into flame war...
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    The Palminfocenter editor copied my colleague's photos (without permission) and has them posted in a front page story on his website. Requests that he remove the photos have been ignored . I would appreciate it if people here would post to his site telling him to respect the wishes of my colleague that he remove the photos. Thank you.
    That was just plain WRONG ! Palminfocenter should be ashamed!! I guess they were just too lazy to figure it out for themselves since the news about Palm is just a few drops per week.

Give credit where credit is due.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Oh yes, I have just sent them a message. Dunno if it will help any.

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gzartman View Post

Palm has made it VERY clear that this device is NOT a laptop. If it were meant to be a laptop, then why include a proprietary GUI that can't run any of the mainstream app? As a minimum, it should be running Pocket PC if it were trying to be a laptop replacement. The fact that it isn't says volumes about it's intended use.

This device is really attempting to enhance our ability to communicate, not give us a device to watch movies, play music, or install typical office software. There are already alot of people doing this and doing it well. Foleo is targeting a much different market.

Greg
    Hmm... if it looks like a duck, smells like a duck, walks like a duck, but barks as a dog.. THEN ITS A DOG !!

Palm is not labeling this as a laptop, but it sure looks and feels like a laptop. The only reason why Palm is not labeling it as a laptop is because it can't, even if they want it to be. But I believe that the next versions of the foleo will be moving towards in replacing the laptop.

Chupa's colleague's review on the Foleo is based on his(or her, sorry if I messed it up) personal opinion. And most of us here that was not able to attend the foleo sneak peek values any opinion from those that have seen, held and used it. Your dismissal of Chupa's comments are very rude.

Each and every one of us has the right to post our opinion, right? And its up to each and every individual (who reads it) to determine if the information is helpful or not.

I'm looking forward in buying the Foleo even though it has these limitations. Why? Because it suits my needs
    You did make some very good points in your review of the Foleo, however I believe you are looking at the Foleo as if it were any other laptop on the market. IMO, you can't look at it this way.
    Palm said it is not Laptop, FINE! it is Mobile Companion! But what the concept of mobile companion? I think mobile companion is a "friend" of any mobile device such phone, smartphone and PDA. But what Palm build Foleo here? a TREO companion, not Mobile companion like Jeff Hawk said. and more shameful Foleo only can sync with Treo 7xx, it even not support Treo650 and 680. Don't said because Treo 7xx customer more then 650 & 680, as mobile companion, Palm should support ALL of them. And I really don't believe Palm can make software that make Foleo can connect any phone starting from standard phone, Symbian, Blackberry, and Windows mobile, because up till now my old T3 still depand on software called Mobile High Speed to connect with many phone. As long as Nova Media not annouce software for Foleo like Mobile High Speed on Palm, then I'm sure Foleo will fail to connect any other phone instead just Treo. So what the point of Mobile companion here? Nothing.. Foleo already failed me as Foleo fans.

The value I see in the Foleo is the instant on technology, or the ability to easily and quickly connect with the internet (i.e., web and email) in seconds. Very often, I find myself surfing google, or checking my email, from my Treo with its small screen. Yes, I have my laptop, but it is often a hassle to pull it out and fire it up when all I want to do is a quick google search. I pull our my Treo because I can hit one button and I'm online. With Foleo, I envision this occurring as easily as it is on my Treo except I'll be doing it with a big screen and a full keyboard.
    I agree... Foleo can be a great surfing device ever? But with pre-installed webbrowser... no Tab window? no youtube? Forget it! it is even not a strong point of Foleo. First time I think Foleo's webBrowser can do Tab Windows, but because of CPU don't have enough power, now Foleo only can do single windows on browser just like old IE6.0, IE6.0 still OK compared Foleo WebBrowser, coz it still can do "New Windows".. and Foleo Can't do that. What ashame!

As long as I know Foleo will not run any Pocket PC software, and I'm quite sure it is impossible, Foleo ONLY can do SYNC with Treo windows, what SYNC here, just for email? geeezzz...

Agree... but IF Palm smart enough, adding playing music is VERY VERY simple, Palm just too ignorant about customer need, and don't have any flexibility to make a concept for Foleo

No one miss the point. All people have their own thought, People that still love Foleo with all its weakness, then Foleo is suited for you, For me, Foleo already failed me, Quite HURT! I do love Foleo concept and design, too bad it is BORN on Palm Company, that make it is HALF born, if it is born on HTC company, I'm sure Foleo will be the KING of any future sub-note.

And one more thing, with the haste of Foleo release next month, Palm surely needs to "begging" to any Palm loyal software developer out there to make Foleo become full BORN with more powerfull software. I think begging other software developer to support Foleo far shameful compared if Palm make Foleo "A Bit" better with their own effort.

If Palm smart enough, not too arogant, and not too ignorant, Working with ACCESS that already made ALP is far promising for Palm future compared if Palm works alone like this.
    Last edited by The Bard; 07/25/2007 at 03:28 AM.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    You seem extremely angry about a lot of things, but I would bet that some of your concerns will be met by the time the Foleo launches, and a nice chunk of those concerns will be met not too long afterwards.

Take music for example - They built in a headphone jack for a reason. Palm devices have come built in with a music player for I don't know how long. I'm guessing PocketTunes is probably in development, but couldn't be finished in time for the pushed up launch schedule. If not PocketTunes, someone else is in the process of making something.

I have no doubts that the Foleo team is working hard on improving the web browsing experience. I have no doubts that this will be improved by launch, and depending on how much or little it was improved, will get more updates afterwards.

And from the recent Palm Beta Test... I think we all suspect what it is probably for, and the Beta Test is asking for people who own a Treo 680 or newer. That looks like a good sign for Treo 680 users.

You seem extremely angry about a lot of things, but I would bet that some of your concerns will be met by the time the Foleo launches, and a nice chunk of those concerns will be met not too long afterwards.

Take music for example - They built in a headphone jack for a reason. Palm devices have come built in with a music player for I don't know how long. I'm guessing PocketTunes is probably in development, but couldn't be finished in time for the pushed up launch schedule. If not PocketTunes, someone else is in the process of making something.

I have no doubts that the Foleo team is working hard on improving the web browsing experience. I have no doubts that this will be improved by launch, and depending on how much or little it was improved, will get more updates afterwards.
    Maybe yes... because I think I hope too much for Foleo to match my need.

Maybe Foleo software will mature someday, if it not crushed with other Sub-note like ASUS EEE first. And hoping 3rd party software for Foleo, cost time to wait and money to spend... why just Palm make Foleo ready as REAL mobile companion when it launch on market.

I'm one of Palm warrior out there, many PPC lover that say something bad about Palm will be crushed by my argument, because up till now I'm a software maniac both Palm and PPC, I know both pros and cons. and up till now I still choose Palm as default device. My loyalty not born blindly, I see Palm software far superior from PPC instead browser and multitask thing.

But now Palm digging their own grave deeper, that make me think again, why Palm company STILL full of moron, they even can't make their own idea come true. Ex: Foleo as mobile companion. Even I'm just have a degree of management, I can thing clearly what must Palm do to make their future better.

I don't have any idea why such smart people like Jeff and Coligan can't make a better device to fulfil customer needs. They only make device to fulfil their own needs, and hope other people want to buy it.. isn't that SO stupid?

Maybe I said to sarcastic, but Palm people especially the high level management people is just a bunch of rich people with don't have ability to run a business. They can survive till now because of their loyal customer and because of loyal software developer, if not... Palm already dead several years ago when Windows mobile, Symbian and Blackberry become bigger.
    Last edited by The Bard; 07/25/2007 at 05:23 AM.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    From what I've read, they didn't want to release the Foleo at this time. They had more plans for it. But because of competing products that were going to be released (Asus Eee and what else? The Eee is really the only one I hear about.) it was better to release it now.

Imagine if this was only announced after the Eee was already out in the market? There would be a much bigger outcry. And even more sales lost.

They didn't have much choice but to release it now, and to let us know, or give hints that there are more fixes on the way. Some that we'll see by launch, some that will come afterwards.

No additional advantages to release Foleo earlier couple a week then ASUS EEE. People already know when ASUS EEE will ship on market and what kind of ASUS EEE is, there are lots of photo with detail spec of that device, not like Foleo.
    Palm too ashame to realize that Foleo beaten a lot compared to ASUS EEE both hardware and software. Releasing Foleo to market when it half finished only makr people laugh hard you know. Once people don't like Foleo, its far harder to make them like Foleo again. Palm strategy really a STUPID strategy that only can be thought by stupid people. I can assure that.

If I'm one of Palm Director and have power to make decision, I can do this these thing:

1. Annouced Foleo price USD300-USD400 due ASUS EEE only USD250. No need to be ashame. Battle is just a Battle, no pride needed here.
    2. Annouced Foleo Pro (2nd Gen Foleo) with better spec and better feature. (just like iPhone Nano rumor after iPhone just released several weeks)
    3. Make good deal with Nova Media which proven very capable to make driver for many phone to connect with Palm. at this case software to connect phone with Foleo.
    4. Make some good bundle Foleo+Treo for new entry people.
    5. Make good deal with Microsoft if possible, to make Foleo can sync with windows mobile better, PIM, Email, Document and even the PPC Cab file can be installed via sync app on Foleo.
    6. Support some promising developer such the one make Universe and Saguaro on Palm. and Dmitry Grinberg. They should be supported to make some software on Linux for Foleo.

Any many many more suggestion I can make... But I'm sure no Palm high level management will read my post.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Was it only a couple weeks? I thought I've read.. at least guesses... somewhere that it was several months earlier than they were planning. Several months does make a lot of sense to me.

I think ASUS EEE will release mid August. Same with Foleo. There is already pre-order of ASUS EEE at ASUS Shop at my place.