Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Great shot with the specs. How did you get to that screen??? Also, we knew that the hardware would not be hardcore. How else do you get 5 hours with a 10" screen with bluetooth and Wifi kept on... and not have the device be heavier and not have to carry around a brick to recharge it.
    Security - With products like Teal Safe already available, it's only a matter of time before a solution like Teal Lock and other more complete security solutions will be available. The Palm OS version of Teal Lock has supported sd cards/external storage for a longtime now. I wish Palm would just include a $10 built-in fingerprint reader and provide a common hook to security prompts. Since, I've had one on my past and current "ultra-portable" laptop, I assign some ridiculous password to an app, website, etc. just once. From then on I swipe my finger whenever I'm prompted for a password. This would be great with Teal Lock and the Foleo on the go.
    Did I mention, "Great shot on the specs."
    Last edited by 1PTUser; 07/20/2007 at 08:15 AM. Reason: put something in bold for effect
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
    The screen shot of the photo viewer you provide isn't the best view -- there's a thumbnail mode with on-screen preview that's much prettier, as well as slideshow mode with transitions, and a tile mode that combines thumbnails with additional picture information.
    As for encryption of the CF Card: it's something we've thought about, and that along with encryption of the internal flash memory is something we'd like to do in the future.
  4.    #24  
    1) I suspect Palm ran out of time with development of the Foleo software and decided they simply had to release it as-is before it was too late. The software is VERY basic - almost amateurish - and numerous key software features are either missing or poorly-implemented. Palm has essentially "thrown one over the wall" and appears to be hoping that 3rd party developers and the open source community will fill in the (large) gaps. For obvious reasons, I think this isn't exactly a great strategy. It may have worked for the Palm Pilot 10 years ago, but the situation is a lot different now and despite Palm's attempts to spin the Foleo as "not-a-laptop", Palm's competition is going to be real laptops and UMPC devices.

2) No Kensington slot on the Foleo? Why, Palm? To hopefully increase Foleo sales (due to increased Foleo thefts)?

3) No ability to print documents? Why? No doubt expecting others to come up with the solution. Unfortunately, every application users have to buy to do a function that should have been included out of the box increases the true price of the Foleo, and it's already well into laptop territory. The standard answer that "It's Linux - a hacker will code/port a solution in a few weeks" is rather silly in my opinion. Talk to someone with a Nokia 770 or N800 and you'll see what I mean. (Yes I know the Nokias are not laptops.)

4) YouTube doesn't work on the Foleo, giving an error message that it isn't supported. I was going to post the screen photo but thought otherwise, because it makes Palm look bad. Of course there are hints that support for YouTube is "coming real soon now", but until it's here those promises are as meaningless as the empty promises of bugfixes that Treo 700p users endured for a year.

5) Weak security. No security if using the "instant on" feature and poor security otherwise. Zero security for the CompactFlash card that will likely be used to store most user data. Not a good setup for a business device. A Palm rep said TealPoint is planning to release a version of TealLock for the Foleo. In my opinion this should have been a standard part of the Foleo OS.

6) Someone posted earlier asking about hinge strength. While there is no way to predict how it will withstand the test of time, the hinge seems to be well-designed. I'd bet the Foleo can take a lot of abuse and keep working smoothly. Could probably be a great laptop for industrial users, warehouses, delivery companies, etc. with the right software.

7) No standard multimedia (video or MP3) application. Wow, Palm. Inexcusable.

8) No standalone email app - you need a Treo to download regular mail first. BIG mistake, inexcusble in my books and will be a dealbreaker for some people. I feel it would make more sense for the Foleo email app to be fully functional so users could optionally download email directly to the Foleo via Wi-Fi and sync it to the Treo via Bluetooth later. If you think about it, Palm pretty much had to go out of its way to NOT include standalone email functionality in the Foleo's email app. The only possible reason for Palm omitting such a basic feature is that they wanted to promote the syncing with Treos as a "unique" feature in order to hopefully differentiate the Foleo from other small laptops. Someone posted here asking if the Foleo only works with Palm's (buggy) Versamail app. Unfortunately, yes. I use Chatteremail and wouldn't touch that Versamail malware with a 10 foot pole. Another potential dealbreaker. It will be interesting to see if the recently-released version of Versamail has finally fixed its bugs and also if Palm's acquisition of Chatteremail + hiring Marc Blanc will result in some better Treo and Foleo email apps in the near future.

9) I tested the download speed and I believe it took a little less than a minute to send a 1 MB email (with JPEG attachment) from a WindowsMobile Treo to the Foleo.

10) Users can specify that attachments are not automatically downloaded from the Treo to the Foleo.

11) Claimed 5 hour battery life is nice, but given the feeble 415 MHz XScale CPU and the 10 inch screen I wonder if it shouldn't be longer. Unfortunately, the battery sits in an enclosed compartment, so switching batteries takes a while and you can't add a physically larger extended battery.

12) The Foleo does not seem to generate a lot of heat. Finally a laptop that doesn't fry the lap!

13) Very weak photo viewer. The Foleo's photo veiwer makes my Treo's Resco Viewer look like Photoshop. (Not really, but it's still disappointing). There isn't even a way to rotate photos. Given the fact that people will likely be offloading digital photos to the Foleo it should have shipped with a decent photo app.

14) Wi-Fi was working at the demo, but the speeds were disappointing. Slower than my Treo tethered to my laptop on even a "bad Sprint day". It will be interesting to see what the throughput is like later on in the real world.

15) Inconsistent user interface. Right click button doesn't even bring up a menu in several applications.

16) Lack of being able to keep multiple apps or multiple browser windows open at the same time is a significant flaw. Palm likely chose this compromise in order to be able to spec a slower CPU and thus eke out greater battery life, but I would gladly trade an hour or two less battery life for the ability to properly multitask. I think people are used especially to having multiple browser instances open and a lot of potential customers will find the Foleo's setup to be too constraining. As others have mentioned, besides YouTube there are a number of other sites that the Foleo's browser can't access in its current build.

*****************************************************************************************

Chupa's theory that Palm is planning to position smartphones as the future PCs might end up being true, but I'm not sure that Palm has the ability to realize such a radical vision. And even if they did, there are rumors swirling that Apple may be planning a similar attempt to cut Microsoft Windows desktops out of the loop. Bold ideas, but if Palm can't even code a decent browser or email app can they really be expected to produce a stable, entirely new platform?

All things considered, for the $600 asking price I was disappointed by Palm's effort. The numerous software deficiencies suggest the Foleo either is being released before it is ready, or else Palm doesn't understand that it has serious competition in a cutthroat market. After experiencing the Foleo firsthand, I'm at a loss to see how it will ever attract a significant number of buyers at its current asking price. The Palm reps claimed the $600 price will not be revised at launch date (now expected to be in around 3 weeks), so it seems likely that cheap laptops like the Asus Eee PC will result in the Foleo being relegated to a role as a very tiny niche device. Despite what some people will tell you, the Foleo IS a laptop. A well-made, poorly-speced, 415 MHz, 128 MB, PalmLinux, (sort of) non-multitasking, long lasting, relatively-applicationless, cool-running, 10 inch-screened, overpriced, $600, 2.5 pound laptop.

For a little less than half the price of a Foleo you can get an Asus Eee PC and for a little more than twice the price of a Foleo you can get a Fujitsu P1610, each of which - in their own way - seem to be much better values than the Foleo.

As always, your mileage may vary. Just don't shoot the messenger.
    Last edited by The_Chupacabra; 07/22/2007 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Typo
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PTUser View Post
    Great shot with the specs. How did you get to that screen???
    Did I mention, "Great shot on the specs."

Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcombee View Post
    As for encryption of the CF Card: it's something we've thought about, and that along with encryption of the internal flash memory is something we'd like to do in the future.
    with an embedded fingerprint reader in the Foleo version 1.1
    Palm's got to do it quickly or it may show up in the iCompanion and people will think that Apple invented it
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Great post Chupa ! Hope we can also take the foleo for a ride
  8.    #29  
    The screen shot of the photo viewer you provide isn't the best view -- there's a thumbnail mode with on-screen preview that's much prettier, as well as slideshow mode with transitions, and a tile mode that combines thumbnails with additional picture information.

Yes, Mr. Combee I know there are other views available. The point is that the photo viewer application is extremely simplistic - almost crude - and its lack of functionality is surprising for a laptop-class (laptop-sized, laptop-priced) device that could have also been an ideal "companion" for a digital camera.

Did Palm code the software included in the Foleo or was the software development outsourced? If you lack the resources to produce superior software, why not simply contract with proven independent developers to have the software made? Would it not have produced better end results (and faster) to have had a company like Resco do your photo app? Or your file manager? Should the Foleo not be shipping with a way to actually PRINT documents? How many $600 laptops do you know of that can't print documents? It just seems as if yet again Palm is setting itself up for failure for no good reason. I realize nothing ever goes as planned with software development, but Palm has has 3 years to get the Foleo right and it is still very lacking in terms of software. If the device sold for $300 or $400 I don't think it would matter as much. But if Palm is trying to sell a $600 laptop without basic functional software it will be an uphill battle.

What would be the actual final price of a Foleo once users add in the extra expense to make up for missing functionality? Will each of the following be another $30 fee that Palm's customers have to fork out?

- Photo app
    - Calendar app
    - Tasks app
    - Memo app
    - Printing app
    - Security app
    - Standalone email app
    - Video player
    - MP3 player
    - Calculator
    - Data backup app

$600 for a Foleo and $200 + for basic add-on software = $800. There are a LOT of really good laptops selling for $800 that are either complete out of the box or are a free download away from being complete.

Palm needs to hit the ground running with the Foleo and what I saw on Thursday looked more like stumbling baby steps. I wish you the best of luck and I'm keeping my fingures crossed the Palm has been holding back on us and will knock us out with a ton of high quality included software when the Foleo is released in a couple of weeks.

For the record, I'm a little more hopeful than "Chupa" that you'll be able to pull this off. I've bet them $20 that the Foleo will actually ship with most of the software deficiencies fixed. (We have a second bet that the official price will be reduced to $499.) Please don't prove me wrong.
  9.    #30  

Why have you just "thought about" it? Shouldn't security have been planned for the Foleo from Day 1? Would it really be that hard to code password protection or encryption for the Foleo's CompactFlash slot?

Failure to sweat the details is going to result in Palm having another LifeDrive-sized white elephant on its hands with the Foleo the way things are going.
    Thanks for the review, and the specs shot -- I am pretty sure that the latter was something that caught Palm a bit off guard.

The value propistion is an interesting one. If a person purchases the Foleo as a laptop replacement, then the value is indeed in the arms of the extra software and makes the Foleo a bad choice. For those who are smartphone-centric (if you will), the Foleo has a bit more value going for it, but not sure if $600 will pan out as value enough for those users even.

The price reduction seems like something that should happen instantly. Not sure if this is something that Palm is locked into for a at least the first 30-60 days of the Foleo though. If they can turn around another model in 6mo or so, then this price should come down a lot more than $100 and there could be some unique opportunities to pitch the smartphone as the hub idea to more people.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Chupacabra View Post
    Why have you just "thought about" it? Shouldn't security have been planned for the Foleo from Day 1?
    Read this and you may understand why some features of the Foleo may feel rushed or under-specified at this time:

LINK

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  12.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Read this and you may understand why some features of the Foleo may feel rushed or under-specified at this time:

LINK

Thanks for the post. But if you look at my post from Thursday night (http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...3&postcount=24) I had said:

1) I suspect Palm ran out of time with development of the [Foleo] software and decided they simply had to release it as-is before it was too late. The software is VERY basic - almost amateurish - and numerous key software features are either missing or poorly-implemented. Palm has essentially "thrown one over the wall" and appears to be hoping that 3rd party developers and the open source community will fill in the (large) gaps. For obvious reasons, I think this isn't exactly a great strategy. It may have worked for the Palm Pilot 10 years ago, but the situation is a lot different now and despite Palm's attempts to spin the Foleo as "not-a-laptop", Palm's competition is going to be real laptops and UMPC devices.

The post made by "Gameboy70" today says:

"During the first preview, I asked a rep "Why doesn't the Foleo have [insert feature]?", and the reply I got suggested to me that Palm had to suddenly accelerate their release schedule when they discovered that "similar products" from other companies (i.e. probably SSDs from Asus and VIA) were coming in short order; so they had to cut their losses, make an early pre-announcement (possibly under pressure from Elevation) and paint the target around the arrow, so to speak, by releasing the product without a PIM and positioning it as an email device. There's probably quite a bit of internal software development in the pipeline that won't make the release date, but will still emerge in the next few months."

*************************************************************************************************

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Palm thought the market was going to stand still for them and was caught off-guard. Look what happened after the Motorola Q was released. Palm seemed to be caught with their pants down and had to respond by slashing prices via rebates. Notice how much Palm has reduced the pricing of its latest phones.

From what I've heard and read from Palm insiders involved directly with the Foleo's design + production, Palm will have to release a few updates to the software - starting soon after the device is released in 2 weeks - as each missing/late application or functionality gets finished by the Foleo development teams. Again, looking at how long the Foleo has been in its gestational phase, it is somewhat shocking to see how unprepared Palm is at this stage of the Foleo's birthing process. (Failure to support Palm's own Treo 680 is beyond ridiculous.) Lack of printing support, shaky USB support, inconsistent UI, missing Flash support, lack of CompactFlash security, missing video app, missing MP3 app, crippled photo viewer, lack of tabbed browser, etc. that I mentioned in my review all suggest that the Foleo is being birthed prematurely. I wonder if this preemie will be able to survive in a world populated by lean, mean, hungry predators like the Asus Eee PC.

The lack of standalone email downloading (via Wi-Fi) MUST have been by design in an attempt to give the Foleo a gimmick that Palm could use to differentiate itself from laptop competitors. It's ironic that Palm would apparently choose to remove functionality rather than maximizing functionality as a means of achieving differentiation.

I believe Palm's decision to (under)spec a 415 MHz processor for the Foleo is a mistake that will come back to haunt them in this multitasking, web-focused, multimedia-crazy world.

By the way, I'd like to congratulate Palm on putting together a nice demo on Thursday in The City. Most of the staff (except the "Can I help you?" woman they had guarding the front door) were very enthusiastic and friendly. The reps that had less technical understanding were quick to ask more knowledgeable staff for help in attempting to answer my questions. I especially appreciated the time one rep (I don't remember his name, but one Palm employee deferred to him, stating that he was a member of the Foleo development team) spent allowing me the opportunity to actually test how long it takes the Foleo to download a 1 MB email from a Treo. I did sense some uneasiness when someone noticed I had Terminal open, but I'm not sure why. After all, what secrets could Palm be unwilling to divulge in a device that will be shipping in 2 weeks? The Shadow knows.
    Last edited by The_Chupacabra; 07/21/2007 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Typo: ("Foleo development team", not "Treo...")
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Oh yes, the event itself was very nice. Food was great, I didn't sample the wince because I was headed to a poker game afterwards, and I don't drink when I gamble, but it looked like everyone else was enjoying, and yes, everyone there was eager to answer any questions I had. I felt a little bad that I didn't have any questions for the Astraware guy because he looked like he wanted to talk to someone.

And I can't be mad the front door woman, because she let me in even though I didn't register. =P Although if showing her my 650 wasn't enough, I also brought my T5 just in case.

If/when Palm has these events for other products (hopefully there will be a Foleo II) I'm definitely going to register and go again.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
  14.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    Thanks for the review, and the specs shot -- I am pretty sure that the latter was something that caught Palm a bit off guard.

The value propistion is an interesting one. If a person purchases the Foleo as a laptop replacement, then the value is indeed in the arms of the extra software and makes the Foleo a bad choice. For those who are smartphone-centric (if you will), the Foleo has a bit more value going for it, but not sure if $600 will pan out as value enough for those users even.

The price reduction seems like something that should happen instantly. Not sure if this is something that Palm is locked into for a at least the first 30-60 days of the Foleo though. If they can turn around another model in 6mo or so, then this price should come down a lot more than $100 and there could be some unique opportunities to pitch the smartphone as the hub idea to more people.
    Thanks, Antoine. I initially wasn't going to post the specs because I've read that Palm has been acting coy whenever people have asked for hard facts about the Foleo hardware. But in the end I decided THEY are the ones that decided to (under)spec the Foleo, so they should at least be willing to be upfront with their decisions. The Foleo is what it is. I'm actually surprised that I was the first person to post such a basic bit of information about the Foleo. All you other people that went to Foleo demos before me should be ashamed of yourselves! You call yourselves hardcore and you can't even figure out the Foleo's specs? SHAME!!! If Palm is embarassed about the Foleo's specs perhaps they should have made other design choices, don't you think?

I went to the demo because 99% of what I've read online about the Foleo has been useless fluff regurgitating Palm's marketing material and I wanted to see for myself if Palm could rekindle the magic that had been created with the original Pilot and Handspring's Treo 600. Sorry Palm, but to my expert eye the Foleo is currently nothing but an overpriced, well-made, underpowered Linux laptop that has almost no compelling software available for it. "Chupa" has stated that Jeff Hawkins' legendary "Next big thing" refers to users bypassing the need for Windows and Mac desktops and software by using their cellphones, web/phone/phone->desktop apps, online databases/storage and high speed mobile connections. I feel Palm is probably a year or more behind schedule in realizing Hawkins' vision, so Hawkins was forced to announce the Foleo as being the "Next big thing". In reality, the Foleo is probably little more than a testbed for the ideas that Hawkins is proposing. This kind of premature announcement does Hawkins' concept of the smartphone as the personal computer of the future a major disservice.

To be honest, even if Palm gave me a Foleo tomorrow for free, I'm not sure I would use it. Without enough software to allow me to replace my ThinkPad in most situations there would be little incentive to carry a 2.5 pound Foleo instead of my 2.7 pound ThinkPad. I hope Palm isn't depending on there being a large niche for $600 Palm Linux laptops with next-to-no software.

Come on, Palm! Show me a Palm Linux iPhone clone that can be connected to any desktop via USB/Bluetooth/Wi-Fi and lets me run the phone's apps on the desktop and also has a PalmOS emulator that lets me run all of my old PalmOS apps. Now THAT would be innovation! Innovation I would pay $600 for.
    I went to the demo because 99% of what I've read online about the Foleo has been useless fluff regurgitating Palm's marketing material and I wanted to see for myself if Palm could rekindle the magic that had been created with the original Pilot and Handspring's Treo 600. Sorry Palm, but to my expert eye the Foleo is currently nothing but an overpriced, well-made, underpowered Linux laptop that has almost no compelling software available for it. "Chupa" has stated that Jeff Hawkins' legendary "Next big thing" refers to users bypassing the need for Windows and Mac desktops and software by using their cellphones, web/phone/phone->desktop apps, online databases/storage and high speed mobile connections. I feel Palm is probably a year or more behind schedule in realizing Hawkins' vision, so Hawkins was forced to announce the Foleo as being the "Next big thing". In reality, the Foleo is probably little more than a testbed for the ideas that Hawkins is proposing. This kind of premature announcement does Hawkins' concept of the smartphone as the personal computer of the future a major disservice.
    Interesting perspective. I probably would be thinking similar had I not ignored the email that told me of the sneak preview when I was in DC (whoops).

I do agree that its half done. But I think the concept is right on. What isn't is our expectations nor Palm's execution. The latter should exxeed the former, and I am not sure that it is doing so right now. I do think that the Sneak Peeks are a bit of R&D research for Palm as to where the concept of the Foleo sits in the minds of those who do Treo and are looking for something more than just a featured-out smartphone.

I cannot shake that at some point that Numeta was supposed to be a part of this, but both that and other factors pushed this ahead a lot. Hawkin's inital talking up of rht Foleo was that Digital D would give hints, not a full device. Something (market, possible sale, problems with existing Treo dev, etc.) pushed that up nearly a half year before it was to come. That made for much less positive noise to which the sneak peeks are trying to (sometimes successful) mitigate.

The price needs to come down a lot though. A whole lot. And not because of the Asus, but because of those devices here now (iPhone) that will (rightfully) be compared to it.

And I still want one. Does that make me a fanboy, or just missing the point of everything I just said, sheesh.

Thanks, Antoine. I initially wasn't going to post the specs because I've read that Palm has been acting coy whenever people have asked for hard facts about the Foleo hardware. But in the end I decided THEY are the ones that decided to (under)spec the Foleo, so they should at least be willing to be upfront with their decisions.
    Outside of RAM, I don;t think its underspeced in hardware. I do think that Palm et al needs to go to the Apple/Nokia class of hardware design and learn how to build better hardware and integrate software better. Those two companies get a lot out of smallish hardware all the time, and there is no reason why the Foleo or Treo couldnt muster better than they do.

17.    #38  
    Interesting perspective. I probably would be thinking similar had I not ignored the email that told me of the sneak preview when I was in DC (whoops).

I do agree that its half done. But I think the concept is right on. What isn't is our expectations nor Palm's execution. The latter should exxeed the former, and I am not sure that it is doing so right now. I do think that the Sneak Peeks are a bit of R&D research for Palm as to where the concept of the Foleo sits in the minds of those who do Treo and are looking for something more than just a featured-out smartphone.

I cannot shake that at some point that Numeta was supposed to be a part of this, but both that and other factors pushed this ahead a lot. Hawkin's inital talking up of rht Foleo was that Digital D would give hints, not a full device. Something (market, possible sale, problems with existing Treo dev, etc.) pushed that up nearly a half year before it was to come. That made for much less positive noise to which the sneak peeks are trying to (sometimes successful) mitigate.

The price needs to come down a lot though. A whole lot. And not because of the Asus, but because of those devices here now (iPhone) that will (rightfully) be compared to it.

And I still want one. Does that make me a fanboy, or just missing the point of everything I just said, sheesh.
    I don't think these demo sessions are for feedback. They are Palm's attempt at creating buzz over the Foleo. They're hoping the fanboys that go to these sessions will get excited and come onto Treocentral and do some free (viral) marketing for the Foleo . I went to the demo to try and see if I could pick up a signal over all the noise .

Hawkins going to the All Things Digital conference was probably just another attempt to start the buzz process. It seems to have backfired on Palm because the Foleo's software is so underwhelming right now that it made Palm look bad compared to flashier products like the iPhone. I would be shocked if all Hawkins had up his sleeve for the past 3 years was a small Linux laptop. If that was the case, what would stop Dell, HP, etc. from coming out and copying Palm 2 months later? Just look at the Asus Eee PC: is Palm capable of competing with megacorporations and selling $200-$300 Linux laptops? If Hawkins' "Next big thing" isn't about what "Chupa" posted about then I don't see how Palm will have a chance of surviving longterm. The iPhone is going to slaughter Treo sales and Palm seems to have gone out of its way to kill off its own PDA business for no reason. (No new PDAs in the past 2 years? Why, Palm?)

I don't think Numenta will result in any commercial products any time soon for Palm, if ever.

The Foleo's specs have probably been etched in stone for well over a year. The only thing holding up the release has been the software. I believe Palm realized products like the Asus Eee PC are going to redefine how much computing power users can expect for their money and would entrench themselves in the small laptop niche by early 2008 if Palm didn't come out with the Foleo this summer. The average Joe will go to Be(a)stBuy or CompUSSR, see something like a $200 Eee PC with a ton of apps versus a $600 Foleo with less than 10 apps and think the Eee PC is a much better buy. If the Foleo was released in 6 months it wouldn't have any chance at competing in the small laptop niche. At least an August 2007 intro will give Palm a little bit of a head start on the competition. Even now Palm probably needs to lower the price to around $399, though. The problem is that based on the apparent high build quality (the Foleo reminds me of the old ThinkPads before Lenovo took over and turned them into junk) I doubt Palm can afford to sell the Foleo for that much. Then again, their other alternative may be selling only a few thousand Foleos for $600 and having the embarassment of having to dump the line in 6 months. I feel sorry for Palm's marketing department these days.

Outside of RAM, I don't think its underspeced in hardware. I do think that Palm et al needs to go to the Apple/Nokia class of hardware design and learn how to build better hardware and integrate software better. Those two companies get a lot out of smallish hardware all the time, and there is no reason why the Foleo or Treo couldnt muster better than they do.
    415 MHz CPU + 128 MB RAM = underspeced in my books. And the screen is merely OK. I'd also wonder if there's no separate video chip onboard - at least I couldn't find reference to one when I was kicking the tires on the Foleo. I would have loved to take the Foleo apart to take a look at the PCB, etc. but the only "tools" I had with me were some coins. It was fun unscrewing the Foleo's battery cover with a nickel while the Palm reps looked on in horror! All things considered, for $600 that's a lot of "buts". On the other hand if ALL the necessary software is included the Foleo might still have a chance. A reasonable suggestion to Palm is if they want to keep the price at $499 (to save face) they should offer users $200 of "free" software downloads from a Palm Foleo Store. Sony is using a similar strategy with its slick little Sony Portable Reader: $50 price reduction and $150 worth of free ebooks. Of course Sony doesn't tell you up front that $100 of that $150 bonus has to be spent on public domain "classics" that don't cost Sony anything to license.
  18.    #39  
    Besides the almost Lexus-like solid feeling of the Foleo a couple other things impressed me with the design that I forgot to mention earlier.

First of all, the keyboard was well done, with quiet, nice-feeling, properly-sized keys and adequate stroke.

Secondly, Palm made a wise decision going with a TrackPoint-like pointing stick instead of a touchpad. The pointing stick was set up with the perfect amount of sensitivity and allowed for very precise cursor movement. Palm should give the left and right mouse buttons more of a lip like IBM does to facilitate actuation, though. I forgot to ask whether or not the pointing stick tips are easily replaceable, if other styles of tips will be available and if the IBM TrackPoint tips can be used on the Foleo. Anyone here try popping off the tips and ending up breaking the demo Foleo?
  19.    #40  
    This is the list of third party developers Palm was touting at the demo session:

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast