Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wlmoore View Post
    ...It's disturbing that there was no internet. I wonder where it failed: Foleo->Treo (BT) or Treo->Internet (network down or inaccessible). The former would be unforgiveable, the latter unfortunate. The latter seems a little more likely since it would affect all the devices. Dunno. I could understand if they don't have wifi in the store, but it is suspicious that they couldn't get it to work all evening.
    Were the attendees with Treo's able to access the Internet on their Treo's? If so it must have been a problem between the Foleo and the Treo.

Has anyone been to a Sneak Preview where WiFi was available and demonstrated?
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    bcombee,

There are no Foleo sneek peak shows set anywhere in Texas? Please use your conections and get Austin a sneekpeek foleo show, lol !

Really, I know many here are not to many people happy with this Foleo, I am very interested in it, and it maight be perfect for me. I have been a Palm user for 2 years now I started with the 650, and have the 755p now with Sprint. Why did I leave WM and go to Palm? the simplicity , easy of use, and intuativeness of the Palm UI. I could never go back I really like the palm UI even with some of its shortcomings. Does it have it short comings sure, everything has a strength and weakness, but for me it's east of use is critical. I want something I will use, if it is to complicated I tend not to use it as ofte. I like 90% of Americans, want someing easy to understand and use, the other 10% know the in's and outs of the computer and how it works. I could care less, just if it is easy to use and I can get want I need out of it.

I was reading Treo central looking for ways to improve my Treo and that is how I ran into the Foleo about 2 weeks ago. Reading here I know many of you are bashing it, but let me tell you, for people like me, I think there are alot more like me out there than you realize, (more then the power users with 1000 of posts) this could be the perfect thing ew am looking for. I hate taking my laptop with me to client reviews, meeting etc. It can be a pain. All I use it for mainly is, Powerpoint, Word, Excell, Email, PDF Files, the Web, and PIM!. So the Foleo covers everything but the PIM. (This is a critical mistake for Palm not to have built in PIM IMO) If I can get something that is fairly light, goood battery life, instand on and off like a PDA that can link to my Phone, I will Drop the Lap top I usr for bussiness and use only the Foleo. It would be so much easier to sit down and open it up and show someone Powershoint show instantly, or be sitting in a meeting and quickly taking some notes. Plus I have come to not like Windows, I want to keep to the KISS princliple. If this thing is what they say it is, and it is Simple, Intuative, can do what they say, it may not light the world on fire, but it will do better than many on here think, IMO. Two days ago at a confernce with some team mebers and coworks I talked about a concept like the Foleo, trying to judge what they would think, (all are RIM or WM users except one I think), all said if they had something like I described they would jump all over it, I don't think any had heard of the Foleo, I never mentioned it by name. I really think if properly marketed this thing could not be the disaster so many on here claim. I am very interested in seeing one in Person and wish Palm would have a Raod show, In Austin or at the least somewhere here in Texas! But one thing they really need to is include a PIM built in Program, that is a must. Ben you need to start working on that this weekend, haha. I have thought about this the last week, and 90-95% of my time on the laptop is Web, Powerpoint, Word, Excell, Email, IM, and PIM (Calendar, notes, task, etc.)

So Ben how about getting us a sneek preview in Austin, lol?

Thanks
    Last edited by tj0827; 06/29/2007 at 03:11 PM.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Internet SNAFU aside, did your impression of the Foleo change at all from before and after the event? Is there some Palm mojo that infects you as soon as you touch it, or is the thrill gone?

No I am really excited about this product I also think it has tremendous potential. My concern is the cost. It seems to me the operating system is so stripped down that its going to take allot of third party software to pick up the slack. Many of the features in Windows we now take for granted and part of the operating system still need to be developed for the Lenox operating system. Unless Palm offers these third party apps as a bundle with the unit the cost to get your Foleo up to speed is growing and growing. For many initial buyers the cost could start to become prohibitive.

The Major Buzz at the show was not necessarily what the Foleo can do now but potential new applications that could be created for it.

As far as the Internet is concerned I was led to believe they are having technical difficulties using blue tooth to access the net from their Treo’s.

I also wasn't clear on the data plan you would need for the foleo to tether off your Treo. I am a Sprint user and came away with the understanding the proper way to do this is to have the Sprint Data plan added to my service. If I didn't get the extra data plan and just used my current access plan there was no way for Sprint to pick up the tether.

Still allot of confusion and certainly allot of excitement
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    I was not thinking much about the Foleo but am starting to come around. The real killer application for me is being able to run PowerPoint presentations. That would allow me to leave the notebook PC at home.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    I was not thinking much about the Foleo but am starting to come around. The real killer application for me is being able to run PowerPoint presentations. That would allow me to leave the notebook PC at home.

Included with the Foleo is an adapter where you just plug in your viewer. If you put together power point presentations with a paste from Excell in it I don't think it will run.

I saw the AC cord for the Foleo and it is similar size to the 700P
    Quote Originally Posted by emajy View Post
    Yeah, as noted above this post, it has a VGA out adapter so it can easily run PP presentations.

The adapter is nice, no "brick". It's like the Treo adapter, though technically not the same.

I just signed up for the NYC event. This time I won't let the beach distract me, lol.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by frediev View Post
    I also wasn't clear on the data plan you would need for the foleo to tether off your Treo. I am a Sprint user and came away with the understanding the proper way to do this is to have the Sprint Data plan added to my service. If I didn't get the extra data plan and just used my current access plan there was no way for Sprint to pick up the tether.

Still allot of confusion and certainly allot of excitement
    Do you mean a PAM plan (phone as modem) instead of just a PowerVision data access plan?

I would think you would need PAM, which totally stinks though is expected. Most of us just use PDAnet with our standard data plans now for internet access. Getting PAM would be $25-30 more than what we currently pay.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Do you mean a PAM plan (phone as modem) instead of just a PowerVision data access plan?

Yes this is what I meant. Attendee's at the show assured me that there is no way Sprint can pick up the blue tooth tether. I have PDA net and use it with Powervision with no problems as well. This is way above my pay grade and won't know until I try it.
  9. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    They were eventually able to get one of the demo units paired and connected with a Treo for Internet access at the DC event--I checked out a couple of sites on it as I haven't used Opera much. As people have said, no WiFi.

Speaking of WiFi on the Foleo, does it support WPA or just WEP? Since some users (like many of us here!) will want to use WiFi at home or work, not just at public hotspots, I'd hope for WPA.

On another note, is the SD card slot SDHC? Since Palm seems to be making that the norm, even if under wraps (the 680, the post-MR 700p, and I'd gather that the minis on the 750 and 755 are too), I'd like to know about the slot on the Foleo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    Since my most persistent criticism of the Foleo has been the lack of a native PIM suite, I was pretty shocked to find out that more than a few non-developers at Palm had been carrying around and using Foleos for two years. It's hard to believe that in two years of usage, no one found the lack of calendar synchronization to be a serious issue. Hopefully, Palm will license mDayscape from Dataviz and put it in ROM.
    Quote Originally Posted by braj View Post
    Maybe Palm didn't want to bundle a PIM at the risk of people deciding they didn't need a Treo.
    Gameboy, thanks for the report. You answered a few questions I've had. About your comment about no one needing to sync a calendar for two years. If EAS/Good is running on the mobile device well enough, and the Foleo is simply syncing email right from a device, there isn't as much a need for calendaring on a large device, as the smarpthone becomes the calendar. I haven't synced my calendar excpt over Exchange since the beginning of this year, and with the exception of a few Evite items, it hasn't been an issue, and has acually been a benefit.

Also, not including a default PIM keeps the PIM emphasis on the smarpthone and not on the Foleo, which is what Palm wants at this point. Though, if you need it MotionApps has developed it and usually speaking, when people pay for programs, they use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    Well, the Palm rep claimed that the charger was smaller than the Treo's. I got the sense that the Foleos were displayed that way because Palm really wanted to emphasize how you're expected to use it: unplugged.
    Probably the intention I gather as well. Nevertheless, the fact that they were working well except for a few net connection glitches does speak just well for what they want the Foleo to do.

Wii Tabs is slick, thanks Ben. There should at least be a 3 tab limit though on the Foleo, that would help some of these instances. Though, hacing Wii Tabs as a favorite would work too.

CF placement seems like one could do a microdrive there and have a good ole time with making the Foleo a real replacement device. At least i would

SDHC should be there, at least it would be a smart idea IMO.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  11. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    CF placement seems like one could do a microdrive there and have a good ole time with making the Foleo a real replacement device. At least i would
    I'm thinking about it. The one downside, IMO, of the CF slot being internal is that you can't easily put in a CF adapter for other memory cards (e.g. Memory Stick). Guess it's USB or nothing there.

SDHC should be there, at least it would be a smart idea IMO.
    I agree. And if there's no comment by the 17th, I'm planning to go back to try the "acid test"--try the SDHC card I use in my Treo, which I only thought of after the last event. I've got a list of other questions I haven't seen covered yet, too, which I'll have on my Treo.

The Opera browser's implementation on the Foleo is pretty basic. By now, everyone knows that it lacks tabbed browsing. When I asked about this I was told that it was a speed issue. Anything that potentially adds bloat is scrapped, or as the Palm employee put it, "We're measuring everything in milliseconds." Sorry, but I still want my beloved Firefox, even at the expense of extra milliseconds.
    I'd imagine that given Firefox's support among the open-source community, we'll see a Foleo version not too long after release day, once anyone who's so inclined gets a Foleo for more than a few minutes, plus possibly the SDK. Good for people who prefer it or want multiple browsers.

My one concern, so far, is trying to access some sites that say "you are using a browser that is not supported" (IOW, other than IE)--not sure what I'll do with those on a Foleo. And this doesn't have an obvious pattern--I just click on a link and get that message. Other times I click on links from the same company and they work fine in Firefox or other browsers.
    Last edited by Q; 07/05/2007 at 05:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    I'm thinking about it. The one downside, IMO, of the CF slot being internal is that you can't easily put in a CF adapter for other memory cards (e.g. Memory Stick). Guess it's USB or nothing there.

I agree. And if there's no comment by the 17th, I'm planning to go back to try the "acid test"--try the SDHC card I use in my Treo, which I only thought of after the last event. I've got a list of other questions I haven't seen covered yet, too, which I'll have on my Treo.

I'd imagine that given Firefox's support among the open-source community, we'll see a Foleo version not too long after release day, once anyone who's so inclined gets a Foleo for more than a few minutes, plus possibly the SDK. Good for people who prefer it or want multiple browsers.

My one concern, so far, is trying to access some sites that say "you are using a browser that is not supported" (IOW, other than IE)--not sure what I'll do with those on a Foleo. And this doesn't have an obvious pattern--I just click on a link and get that message. Other times I click on links from the same company and they work fine in Firefox or other browsers.
    There are ways to fool the web server into thinking you are running IE.

http://userjs.org/scripts/browser/en...ts/zz-spoof-id
  13. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    There are ways to fool the web server into thinking you are running IE.

http://userjs.org/scripts/browser/en...ts/zz-spoof-id
    Thanks... have to try that.
    That's actually now built into Opera. You can "identify as" or "mask as" IE or Firefox for specific sites - at least for the desktop versions of Opera.

That said, there are still some sites that still won't work in Opera, not because Opera is blocked, but because there's some basic incompatibility. For those, the only option is to open in IE or Firefox. Fortunately, that list is very small.
    The CF slot is for expanding internal storage. True Microdrives work but they don't work very well -- they have a lot of latency in accessing data because of the need to spin up the drive heads. Hold off buying a CF Flash card though until the device is released -- not all cards will work at full speed in the device, and we'll publish a list of supported cards then.
    Thanks Ben for the CF feedback.

Sites that don't render well in Opera are because they are usually using mal-formed HTML elements. Believe it or not, the rendering of HTML in Opera is closer to the real deal than the patched views that you get from FF and IE. Neertheless, if the ability to spoof the headers was not taken out of the Foleo version of Opera, then this might be a good way to get around that for quite a number of things -- Outlook OWA is one that I had in mind.

A recent Nokia N800 update addressed SDHC in that device, therefore I wouldn't be surprised to see that in the Foleo as well, if not immidately soon thereafter.

One of the things that I am looking at with the Foleo, because it is not a connected device so to speak, is the releasing of updates. Is OTA something that should be expected as part of the way of life for the Foleo (with memory card as a failsafe for prefs and a safe-boot area perhaps). The other part is the myPalm end of things. It really does seem like Palm could/will make a play for myPalm to be the software portal for the Foleo. Which isn't a bad thing, but other than some of the more techie apps, I wonder what parts of it will serve the general consumer/executive/IT-dept.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  17. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Just a few more days until the LA sneak peek!
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567