Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    @wlmoore:I meant VPN, not VNC. I'm sure VNC will be ported, but I'm happy with ssh.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Chupacabra View Post
    Look at the Foleo's specs. It probably is running a 300 MHz standard Treo-issue chip, has 128 MB of RAM and has limited video capability. Maybe the decisions to not allow multiple browser tabs or to allow multiple apps to be open in their own windows at the same time are an attempt to hide the limitations of those specs. Maybe porting attempts are going to have a few "issues". Just look at what happened to all the promised we heard about Linux for Nokia's 770 and 800 Internet tablets.?
    What are you trying to say here? Multiple Opera windows work perfectly well on my Nokia N800. I can also run Minimo (firefox) with proper tab support. And its TI OMAP processor is no faster than Treo's Xscale CPU, which is more overclock friendly I belive.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    What are you trying to say here? Multiple Opera windows work perfectly well on my Nokia N800. I can also run Minimo (firefox) with proper tab support. And its TI OMAP processor is no faster than Treo's Xscale CPU, which is more overclock friendly I belive.

Maybe Palm is being conservative + wanting to make sure nothing crashes.

Maybe PalmLinux has a lot of bloat that ends up with apps being more processor or memory-intensive. Only those who have seen PalmLinux up close and personal know for sure.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Goats. The goats were screaming...
    Quote Originally Posted by braj View Post
    And I think that is where I have a philosophical deviation from Hawking's view of the future. He thinks the heart of your mobile data life should be the smartphone, but I think it should be on a server someplace, with automatic backups, no risk of physically loss, and access from anywhere. The Foleo and the Treo should sync to that, not to each other. Let the Foleo get it's net connection from the Treo when wifi is unavauilable, let it edit docs directly on the Treo, please let it mirror the phone's apps in a window on the Foloe's screen at 2x resolution. Give the Fole more native functionality out of the box and let it be a real stand-alone product with really compelling reasons to also buy a Treo.

I think you are underestimating Hawk and Palm. They know that web services are the way to go. The issue though is that under web 3.0 comes out, web services are unreliable. (Remember Hawkins "hates" hotsync. The logical alternative is wireless broadband)

I see the MyPalm application PalmBackup as their first major forray into Web services. (Other dabblings have been the Traffic app and their MyTreo online apps).

The first need is for a better I/O mechanism for all SmartPhones. (iPhone, HTC, Treo, BlackBerry, Nokia, etc.) This is what Palm is targetting. They aren't limiting themselves to the piddling Treo market. (Nor should they).

I do think the Smartphone could reasonable considered my portable file server. My current devices has 8GB of storage, which is more than enough to contain any content that I created, or are truly custom. I would like to see the Treo becoming a content caching device, as well as a primary store for data. (The replication would be threee way between Foleo, Smartphone and Web.
    HP200LX -> Palm Pilot -> Palm III -> Sony PEG-300 -> Sony PEG-N710C -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p -> (iPhone or Treo 800L or something unexpected)??
    Quote Originally Posted by guinnessdraught View Post
    I think this is a really key question: How easy will it be to port Firefox and Thunderbird and Sunbird. What about OpenOffice?

A linux notebook that could run the entire Mozilla and OpenOffice Suites of tools would be fantastic. I've been wondering all along why Palm chose DataViz over OpenOffice. I assumed the port wouldn't be so simple.

Does the Palm Linux GUI run over X?
    Ben Combee mentioned in a previous post that he couldn't comment on Palm development environment, so unfortunately we won't know if it runs over X until the Foleo is released. It's a key question, because it determines the viability of porting existing Linux desktop apps.

Palm probably went with Opera and DataViz because their develops know their own code intimately, and don't have to waste months examining and interpreting thousands of lines of other people's code, especially on a project as massive as OpenOffice. You could write an entire office suite from the ground up in the time it would take to opitimize OO.o to run on an X-Scale processor, or whatever hardware the Foleo uses.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    Ben,
    Can the wireless functionality be shut off completely so that it can be used "offline" on a plane?

Will multi-tasking really be like that on PalmOS PDAs, or more like WM PDAs, where applications can actively run in the background?
    You can completely turn off both Bluetooth and Wifi using the toolbar buttons at the top of the screen. I was using my device on a place this morning while traveling to California.

Multitasking on the device is more like WM than Palm OS -- applications in the background still get CPU time if needed, and they can request to the OS that they don't get shutdown if they're doing something important. I've gone and started listening to a MP3 podcast using a website's embedded Flash player and switched to Email and still had the audio continue to run.
    Hi guys i am a newbie and have been a member of treocentral ever since i ran into this thread. I am a foleo fanatic if you can say that And thanks to the Foleo, a likely Treo user.

I really am very into the vision of Jeff Hawkins of a smartphone-centric future of mobile computing. A small device with all your data on it, but with another device with a bigger screen and full keyboard to complete the picture. Even Bill Gates alluded to this in his recent interview along with Steve Jobs at the D Conference when they were asked what device see themselves carrying 5 years from now...

To quote Bill:
    "I don't think you'll have one device. I think you'll have a full screen device that you can carry around, and you'll do dramatically more reading off of that... and then you'll have the device that fits in your pocket which the whole notion of how much function you can combine there..."

PDA's are the past, as much as it hurts me to say that, being a PDA advocate the past 5 years, LifeDrive being my current device, and yes the PDA has matured. And so has the PC. It has peaked. The paradigm will soon shift towards the smartphone, especially with the iPhone coming out...

The Foleo will not replace the laptop they say... But it will inevitably be compared to one (something that barks like a dog, walks like a dog and looks like a dog is more probable than not to be a dog)...

but i think Palm and Us have to qualify that... It will not replace your laptop as your MAIN computing device, be it at work home or somewhere else, but it will replace your laptop as your MOBILE computing device... This is where Palm is having trouble getting across to the consumers... and thats why EVERYONE is confused...

This is where my message to Ben Combee comes in... thank you for participating in this thread. Palm really has to do a better job of reaching out to us users in terms of what the Foleo will be and hearing from people like you is a nice first step... But in all modesty, I think your Marketing Department HAS to be replaced, or do a better job... This can easily be THE NEXT BIG THING.... the NEXT PARADIGM SHIFT, its just a matter of getting the message across... the Lifedrive could have been the first iPhone in my opinion, or maybe the LD2, everyday i look into my LD and say, Man, Palm could have been first with this... widescreen screen, wifi, 4gb, if we made it Flash, and made it thinner, that could have been something.... then pair wit with a Phone only device with the Contacts PIM which syncs with the LD... but anyway thats a diff story....

i think it was a mistake to label this as a smartphone companion because this severely limits it functionality in people's eyes... And please, come up with a Treo design that will just blow people's minds away... a widescreen? slider? wfi? whatever... time is running out on Palm, WE HAVE TO COME UP WITH A NEW TREO... Blackberry has come up with the Pearl and the Curve, and if we dont do something soon, our Treos will just sink into oblivion, and Palm along with it

To quote Bill again from 1983 when asked about Apple becoming the 3rd industry standard...
    "To create a new standard, it takes something thats more than a little different, it takes something really new, and really captures the imagination..."

Thats what the iPhone has really done to us and to the industry. Jeff Hawkins is a genius. He's more prophetic than people give him credit for... but Palm's marketing just hasnt been up to that... and it will all end up that somebody else out there will pick up on JH's vision and make something even better... and i HATE to see that happen.
    Hi Combee. Thanks a lot for providing so much useful information. To better understanding the multitasking design in Foleo OS, would you tell what will happen if a process running in background crashes? (Personally, I am a PalmOS developer.)

1) System crash?
    2) Only the process is killed, and no other panic?
    3) All process running in background crashed?

or what else?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by UGlee View Post
    Hi Combee. Thanks a lot for providing so much useful information. To better understanding the multitasking design in Foleo OS, would you tell what will happen if a process running in background crashes? (Personally, I am a PalmOS developer.)

1) System crash?

or what else?

Thanks.
    Being Linux it should have protected memory. If one application crashes it should not affect the other apps. This is all speculation of course.

1) System crash?

or what else?

Thanks.
    One application crashing shouldn't affect other applications; there's a small possibility of problems if the app that died was actively using some shared resource on the device, but it general the system is pretty robust against an individual app dying.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Got my invite to the Washington DC preview. I emailed the palm store at Union station directly for an invite to Thursday's preview. They got back to me today and put me on the invite list.
    frediev, see you there! I'm looking forward to seeing one in person.
    My Treo: I think I'll keep her. All dressed up for prom and her date Foleo stood her up
    infoSync went to the NYC preview. Not much new, just another POV.
    http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/8049.html
    Hi Combee, Thanks for your answer. Here's one more question:

Does Foleo OS fully support Unicode (UTF8)? Could programs use Unicode string resource (such as Form Title) directly? is it like windows (support one default local codepage and UTF8 simutaneously) or windows mobile (UTF8 only, all other codepage translated to UTF8) or PalmOS Garnet(local codepage only, all UTF8 thing must be translated into default codepage or dummy code if not available)?

Thanks again.
    Hi Combee, Thanks for your answer. Here's one more question:

Does Foleo OS fully support Unicode (UTF8)? Could programs use Unicode string resource (such as Form Title) directly? is it like windows (support one default local codepage and UTF8 simutaneously) or windows mobile (UTF8 only, all other codepage translated to UTF8) or PalmOS Garnet(local codepage only, all UTF8 thing must be translated into default codepage or dummy code if not available)?

Thanks again.
    UTF-8 is the native character encoding on the system and is used in documents and resources.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Just got back from the Foleo show at Union Station in Washington DC. They had a really good turnout and talked about alot of 3rd party application support. They had one major problem and thats the wifi was down and they couldn't get the software to work with their treo's to run the internet. Go figure no internet access and there was probably 100 treo's in the house.
    Quote Originally Posted by frediev View Post
    Just got back from the Foleo show at Union Station in Washington DC. They had a really good turnout and talked about alot of 3rd party application support. They had one major problem and thats the wifi was down and they couldn't get the software to work with their treo's to run the internet. Go figure no internet access and there was probably 100 treo's in the house.

I am starting to get the impression that Palm is cutting off the wifi for some reason... this is at least the 2nd time that the wifi is down during shows.

What are your initial thoughts? what did the people say about it? Any scoops on any additional 3rd party apps?
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    What are your initial thoughts? what did the people say about it? Any scoops on any additional 3rd party apps?

They wern't specific about any 3rd party apps but were confident a third party app would soon be available to answer many of the questions people had.

I felt people were enthused and cautious. Alot of the answers given by the Palm reps were answered with caution as well. Because this is a new product with a new operating system I didn't think the Palm reps knew the true answers on this product. It certainly has great posibilies with its features but it remains to be seen what the limitations on software and product will have on your personal frustration level to be that truly must use device.

Not being able to access the internet made it a very limiting presentation.
    I'm usually the last one espousing conspracy theories, but no wifi again? It's hard to believe that more than one of these hands on events would have their wifi down. What's up with this?
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by frediev View Post

They wern't specific about any 3rd party apps but were confident a third party app would soon be available to answer many of the questions people had.

I felt people were enthused and cautious. Alot of the answers given by the Palm reps were answered with caution as well. Because this is a new product with a new operating system I didn't think the Palm reps knew the true answers on this product. It certainly has great posibilies with its features but it remains to be seen what the limitations on software and product will have on your personal frustration level to be that truly must use device.

Not being able to access the internet made it a very limiting presentation.
    Frediev, thanks for taking the time to go and report back!

Internet SNAFU aside, did your impression of the Foleo change at all from before and after the event? Is there some Palm mojo that infects you as soon as you touch it, or is the thrill gone?

It's disturbing that there was no internet. I wonder where it failed: Foleo->Treo (BT) or Treo->Internet (network down or inaccessible). The former would be unforgiveable, the latter unfortunate. The latter seems a little more likely since it would affect all the devices. Dunno. I could understand if they don't have wifi in the store, but it is suspicious that they couldn't get it to work all evening.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast