Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    So this can be just as useful without the phone?
    I think that is the key to the Foleo being a success. Open it up to things that aren't necessarily Treo centric and the market will react. Being built on top of Linux is going to make this much easier to develop for. I can see people dumping the Palm UI and going native Linux (with X) even though the hardware specs may make it a bit difficult. I think in time if they continue to make the hardware better (more memory, better storage options like a SSD) this type of device could really change the face of mobile computing. I think the instant on is huge. No matter what anyone says about the price point being close to the a low-end laptop they still don't do instant on which is the key to a device being truly useful.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    So if you're in NY or DC next week, hit Palm with with questions I left out. And grab a copy of the developer sheet and post of scan of it.

Tuesday, June 26
    NEW YORK, NY
    6:00pm – 8:30pm
    Palm Retail Store
    Rockefeller Center
    New York City, NY
    Cool, I'll do the NYC preview, not a problem.

You don't need an invite right, I can just show?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    You don't need an invite right, I can just show?
    Not according to this link:
    NEW YORK, NY
    6:00pm 8:30pm
    Palm Retail Store
    Rockefeller Center
    New York City, NY

We apologize but due to popular demand this event is now full. Please look for other possible events like this to be held in the near future.
    I can't guarantee the benevolence of the store manager there, but the manager at the LA store let me in without an RSVP, despite being against policy. As the evening progressed, they were even more lax, letting in passers-by. You're unlikely to have a problem.
    Hi, I'm Ben Combee from the Foleo development team. Here's a few quick answers based on what I can say right now:

1) the power adapter for the Foleo is the same size as my Treo adapter. I usually leave it at home when I take the device with me for the day, and so far, it's not gone dry.

2) the initial release of the Email application on the Foleo will only support sync with a smartphone. We know there is demand for direct POP/IMAP/Exchange access over WiFi, but we wanted to get the Sync usage mode completed and fully debugged before working on the other functionality.

3) The Web Browser doesn't support tabs at this time. There are some workarounds; I have tried out http://brentalan.com/wiitabs/ with it, for example. We know there's demand for tabs too.

3) Right now, applications always run from internal storage -- Linux doesn't like a executable program disappearing from the system while its running, which is something that could easily happen with a program running on an easily removable SD card or USB drive.

4) It's not over when we release it... we're planning on doing a number of software updates over the life of the product, so just because it can't do feature X at release doesn't mean that it won't ever do X.
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    So I assume it won't do email syncing with Chatter or other email apps then. OK, dealbreaker for me even if the price goes down considerably. Unless you can release a native email app (it better be for free at the cost of the Foleo!), so much for it being a useful stand-alone product.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Ben Combee,

Thanks for the answers. I heard that the Foleo has an CF card slot and an SD slot. I was more interested to run things from the CF card. I fully understand that Linux does not like take away executibles while it is running, but since the CF card is more "embedded" than the SD card, I would think it is possible to mechanically force a reset when someone tries to take out the CF card. For example, put the card access under the battery.

That way the CF card can be viewed as an internal hard drive, the SD card more like a removable drive. I know this is probably to the first version of the Foleo, but I think the ability to expand space for executible without 3rd party software can make Foleo stand out.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by braj View Post
    So I assume it won't do email syncing with Chatter or other email apps then. OK, dealbreaker for me even if the price goes down considerably. Unless you can release a native email app (it better be for free at the cost of the Foleo!), so much for it being a useful stand-alone product.
    Personally I am not too concerned about this. Since I still expect my PC to be the main device to keep all emails, I only use email on Treo or Blackberry as a quick view or alert for important messages. I guess if I have a full size keyboard, I would incline to write more replies with Foleo, but most of my messages require some research on PC to get answers, I only expect to do more quick reply with Foleo, not lengthy full reply that may require quotes from documents and look up at schedules and etc.

But this does may Foleo less an independent device, if their intend is really for Foleo to be mobile person companion, as Gameboy stated.
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    It's just that if email, web, and doc editing are the three primary functions of this device, it really doesn't seem like any of there areas are particularly strong: limited to Versamail with Treo tethering for email, no multi-windows for the web browser (and limited video support, which with the web as it stands makes this a very limited experience), and DocsToGo which is not ideal IMO by a long shot.

Please give me a reason to see some value here
    Quote Originally Posted by bcombee View Post
    2) the initial release of the Email application on the Foleo will only support sync with a smartphone. We know there is demand for direct POP/IMAP/Exchange access over WiFi, but we wanted to get the Sync usage mode completed and fully debugged before working on the other functionality.
    Too bad, since I don't consider Versamail on the Treo "fully debugged." Have any hardcore geeks at Palm tried terminal POP/IMAP direct access over WiFi using Pine?

3) Right now, applications always run from internal storage -- Linux doesn't like a executable program disappearing from the system while its running, which is something that could easily happen with a program running on an easily removable SD card or USB drive.
    To reword and repeat ksom's question, does the CF slot constitute "internal storage"?

4) It's not over when we release it... we're planning on doing a number of software updates over the life of the product, so just because it can't do feature X at release doesn't mean that it won't ever do X.
    Speaking of X, are you at liberty to tell us if Palm's UI layer runs over X? Can you give a general idea of what it would take a port or optimize and existing Linux desktop app for the Foleo?

Thanks for stopping by!
    So I assume it won't do email syncing with Chatter or other email apps then.
    Each developer will have to decide whether or not to support Sync, but Chatter's author, Mark Blank, now works for Palm.

So Ben, can you tell us anything about the Versamail/Chatter developement roadmap?
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    Each developer will have to decide whether or not to support Sync, but Chatter's author, Mark Blank, now works for Palm.

So Ben, can you tell us anything about the Versamail/Chatter developement roadmap?
    It may have a lot more to do with the mail app on the Foleo.
    I can't talk about future plans with the Email system at this time. I also can't talk about specifics of our programming APIs.

It certainly should be possible to run "pine" in the Terminal, but I've not tried to port it myself. I looked at compiling "mutt" once, but I gave up on it because it had too many dependencies on utilities like sendmail.

As for internal storage -- when you install a supported CF card, it replaces the internal Flash memory for user data and program storage. The CF slot isn't designed to be easily accessible; it's treated like an internal hard drive connector and it's behind the internal battery, so you will need to shut down the device to safely add or remove the card.
    Last edited by bcombee; 06/24/2007 at 05:59 PM.
    It may have a lot more to do with the mail app on the Foleo.
    Assuming Versamail on the Foleo is designed with a conduit generic enough to support multiple mail clients and their peculiarities. Otherwise it's not going to sync with Agendus or Snappermail unless their developers decide that supporting the Foleo isn't a waste of time. Chatter is under Palm's aegis now, so only Ben, Mark or others at Palm can tell us what's really going on with it.
    Ben - can the foleo support multiple instances/pages of the web browser?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Ben - can the foleo support multiple instances/pages of the web browser?

3) The Web Browser doesn't support tabs at this time. There are some workarounds; I have tried out http://brentalan.com/wiitabs/ with it, for example. We know there's demand for tabs too.

This really is a fundamental functionality imo...I mean what is this 2004 and IE6?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    tabs vs. multiple pages/instances are two different animals.
    If it was Linux based, why couldn't they have just put in Evolution and Firefox?
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    The lack of tabs is not because we don't like them. Many of us use them daily here at Palm, and we recognize the value of having them in the browser, especially with the "always-running" application model we're using. I can't comment on our future plans in this area right now though.
    Ben - forget about Tabs for a second - how many web pages can I have up at once on the current Foleo? Can I have multiple web pages open at the same time? Say Google, eBay, and Palm.com all up at the same time just like in Windows/IE? Or am I limited to one browser page/instance at a time?

Thanks.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast