Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    And one more question, does it heat up during long use like a laptop? Was it hot in the touch during the whole sneak preview? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    ...I was pretty shocked to find out that more than a few non-developers at Palm had been carrying around and using Foleos for two years. It's hard to believe that in two years of usage, no one found the lack of calendar synchronization to be a serious issue. Hopefully, Palm will license mDayscape from Dataviz and put it in ROM...
    I can't believe it has taken TWO YEARS to come up with this.

If Palm were in charge of NASA, we STILL wouldn't have finished the Gemini program as of 2007!
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by janric View Post
    And one more question, does it heat up during long use like a laptop? Was it hot in the touch during the whole sneak preview? Thanks!
    I'm at work right now, so I'll chip away at answering these questions in reverse order in whatever windows of time pop up.

It's much cooler than a normal laptop, and stayed that way throughout the evening. It's even cooler than a Treo after 15 minutes of continuous use. That was genuinely impressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by janric View Post
    Gameboy70, did they announce in the sneak preview on when will it be available? I heard somewhere in this thread that it will be released in a few days? Is it correct?
    I think I'm the one guilty of impling that, before I went to the preview. Bzzzt -- wrong!

Palm: "End of summer."
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    I wanted to see the power supply, but they didn't have any to show me (or claimed not to). I wanted to get an idea of its size. I was told that the charger is smaller than the Treo's.
    Odd that no-one seems to have seen a Foleo charger as yet.

Bertha Rochester anyone??
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by wlmoore View Post
    How many people attended the event? Overall how did others respond to the Foleo? Enthusiastic? Lukewarm? Was someone selling rotten vegetables to throw? (BTW my email invitation was sent around 10:30AM last week. I didn't see it until about 1:00PM that day and by then the RSVP page said all four events were full. So I'm curious how big the turnout was that overflowed their spots. To be honest I have my doubts if the RSVP page ever worked and if anyone successfully RSVPed.)
    It built up to a capacity crowd eventually, but that's not saying much. Palm retail stores are much smaller than Apple or Sony Style stores. About half the RSVP badges I saw on the table when the preview started were still there by the time I left. By 7:30, you could've strolled by and popped your head in, and the staff would've let you in.

People were generally interested, more inquisitive than excited, which isn't surprising considering how little Palm has done to inform the public about the device and how strangely they've positioned it in the market.

Was the feel of the keyboard like a typical laptop keyboard, or something lesser? Was the layout intuitive or did you find yourself looking for a key that wasn't there or in the wrong place?
    Ergonomically, it's fantastic. I definitely agree with the decision to go with a full size keyboard over a palmtop/UMPC form factor. Propellerheads will complain, but normal people will find it much more intuitive than some exotic "internet tablet" input strategy. The Menu and Apps keys replace Ctrl and Alt, and since I use shortcut keys extensively, it would take some time for my fingers to unlearn Windoze habits.

How was the display? Any sense of how usable it would be in bright sunlight? Did color photos look fine?
    Very bright, although I would've preferred a high-gloss screen, even at the expense of glare. Color photos look great, and the photo viewing app if very nice. If you want to show your friends some pictures, it would be much easier to show them on the Foleo rather than on the Treo or another cell phone -- but just as fast.

Can you have more than one page open in the browser? No tabs is unfortunate, but can you at least do a "New Window" and switch among windows? What happens if you click on a link that opens a new window?
    I'm pretty sure than you can only have one instance of Opera running at a time. The Foleo really operates like a PDA rather than a laptop. Apps open maximized, and you can't minimize or close them. You just launch another app, and if it's an app you're coming back to, it remembers where you left off.

Did you experience any glaring compatibility issues with the browser? Any websites that just didn't work right? What websites did you visit?
    The browser didn't choke on any of the sites I went to, but then again, I didn't try YouTube

Since I was mainly concerned with how it would handle my normal usage pattern, I mostly went to some blogs and news sites that I visit daily, like TreoCentral, Engadget, PIC, Slashdot. I saw some people go to some Flash laden sites that I didn't recognize, and they worked just fine. The Foleo has Flash 7 onboard ( ), not Flash 9, so the Hawkins comment about not handling YT may have more to do with Flash video rather than video per se, so it might be able to handle YouTube Mobile using H.264. But I was too stupid to test it.

Overall, I'd like your impressions of how compromised the Foleo feels. If you were stranded on an urban island with nothing but a Foleo, a Treo, and a strong Wi-Fi signal do you feel you could get by with its limitations, or would they drive you nuts and leave you longing for a laptop? In other words, when I'm out with just my Treo I know its limits, e.g. which websites are too painful or impossible to deal with. I would expect a Treo + Foleo to erase some of those limits, and I'm curious to know to what extent the Foleo delivers.
    I never hit the wall surfing the web on the Foleo, just using DUN, so the experience could only be more robust over WiFi. That said, I don't visit many rich media sites, so someone other tester will have to try breaking Opera. There were no headphones to test the audio capabilities, so the one site I would've been inclined to try, Pandora, wasn't an option.

After using the Foleo for a while, you have to start asking yourself if a laptop is really what you want to take with you. It's much more convenient than toting my HP Pavilion and its power brick. Except for ripping CDs and occasionally using Photoshop, wouldn't see much incentive for carrying a laptop around. On the other hand, if you watch DVDs or run something very specialized every day, like AutoCAD or Final Draft, the Foleo's not going to cut it.

My only complaint is Palms "it's all about email" (their phrase) focus, which I consider extremely myopic. Carrying the Foleo around feels a lot like carrying of comfortable day planner, so it just seems obvious that a PIM should be bundled with it.

Oops, the boss is back. Back to work . . .
    Wow, thanks for the great report Gameboy! Excellent observations! I'm glad you got some time to tinker with the Foleo. I sure enjoyed reading all your thoughts on the device!
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Maybe Palm didn't want to bundle a PIM at the risk of people deciding they didn't need a Treo.

After using the Foleo for a while, you have to start asking yourself if a laptop is really what you want to take with you. It's much more convenient than toting my HP Pavilion and its power brick. . . .
    Thats what I have been thinking since the Foleo was announced.

Great post Gameboy!
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Oops, the boss is back. Back to work . . .
    There, you see! If you had a Foleo you coulda just taken it into the john and posted at your leisure!
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Golgo 13 View Post
    Thats what I have been thinking since the Foleo was announced.

Great post Gameboy!
    But then I think you need to ask yourself is this thing worth $500? I totally agree it is worthwhile as a device but the price will keep me from buying it.
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Odd that no-one seems to have seen a Foleo charger as yet.

Bertha Rochester anyone??
    I know!! Ryan over at PIC as well TC here all reported that NO ONE has seen the charger? WTF is going on here? This seem more and more suspicious that no one can get a look at the size of the thing? Is it possible that the size of the adapter brick is soooo large that it negates the use of the Foleo in the first place? I hope not but the mysterious unavailability of the charger makes me wonder...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by braj View Post
    But then I think you need to ask yourself is this thing worth $500? I totally agree it is worthwhile as a device but the price will keep me from buying it.
    Without getting into a debate of whether or not it's "really" worth it, the build quality alone of the Foleo does it for me, definitely Palm's best industrial design work since the Palm V. It's like choosing a Powerbook over a Dell laptop with slightly better specs. If I were to go with the Asus Eee, it would be because I need my Windows apps or DVD capability, but the Foleo is much classier than the Eee or anything else in its price range.

Interestingly, the Palm reps kept saying "$500," as opposed to "$599 with a $100 rebate," like Hawinks, Colligan and Keast were careful to qualify. Either Palm decided to ease the MSRP, the employees at the preview were being more informal, or the executives know their Sarbanes-Oxley CYA protocol.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    I know!! Ryan over at PIC as well TC here all reported that NO ONE has seen the charger? WTF is going on here? This seem more and more suspicious that no one can get a look at the size of the thing? Is it possible that the size of the adapter brick is soooo large that it negates the use of the Foleo in the first place?
    Well, the Palm rep claimed that the charger was smaller than the Treo's. I got the sense that the Foleos were displayed that way because Palm really wanted to emphasize how you're expected to use it: unplugged.
    Very interesting Gameboy70, thanks for the detail. Definitely perked my interest and sounds like Palm is excelling at least in quality of the product, which alway seems their strong point (I still think Treo phones have the best build quality, especially compared to Moto or HTC)

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Without getting into a debate of whether or not it's "really" worth it, the build quality alone of the Foleo does it for me, definitely Palm's best industrial design work since the Palm V. It's like choosing a Powerbook over a Dell laptop with slightly better specs. If I were to go with the Asus Eee, it would be because I need my Windows apps or DVD capability, but the Foleo is much classier than the Eee or anything else in its price range.

Interestingly, the Palm reps kept saying "$500," as opposed to "$599 with a $100 rebate," like Hawinks, Colligan and Keast were careful to qualify. Either Palm decided to ease the MSRP, the employees at the preview were being more informal, or the executives know their Sarbanes-Oxley CYA protocol.
    Well, when they start saying $299 I'll start to consider it
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    So you can't even keep a search page and an individual result page open at the same. It's going to be pain the rear even for sites like ebay.

And I m typing this on a Nokia n800 with multiple opera windows open.

Is there at least a "system tray" ttype space so you can iimpliment gaim notification in the future?
    I didn't see anything like a system tray, just the same kind of status indicators on the top menu bar that you'd see on the Treo, things lke BT, battery, etc.

A Palm rep confirmed that they're adding IMAP functionality to Versamail. Since Mark Blank of Chatter was scooped up by Palm, they'll probably have some kind of IM notification included by the kind the Foleo ships, probably working the same way it would on the Treo rather than a desktop OS.
    Let the pr0n begin!

Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    I frankly like it and want one, just not for the price they're asking I wish this was around before my dad got his first computer 6 years ago. It would have been perfect for him but now he expects too much from a computer. Not much more just more.
    Gameboy, Thanks for the review and pics! Great job!

One of the photos seems to show a sheet with some logos and text blurbs. Is that a list of developers and apps?

I love the form factor. For some reason, the device seems smaller when I see it in these candid shots with people.

For me, my remaining concerns are around what can be done with it. I'd like to see whether the memory and power are constraints on things like playing video from sd card and multi-tasking. I'll also wait to see what kind of apps are developed for it. If a real developer community forms, and there are hundreds of apps, that'd be great; but we won't know for a while.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast