1.    #1  
    Can the Foleo at least run PalmOS apps.? I mean not even full screen, but in a windowed 320x320 mode?
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    That would be nice. But nope.

One thing though, Astraware just released a new Palm OS solitaire game yesterda(?) and this new Foleo Solitaire was just announced, which makes me wonder if a lot of the code case can be shared. Maybe it is a coincidence but the timing is interesting.
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    That would be a rabbit out of a hat trick. "Oh, BTW, it can easily run Palm OS apps." That would make many, many people more accepting. And I'd even consider buying one.
    No, but the ACCESS version which Palm dumped could.

LOL
    Being Linux, I am sure there will be an emulator out in no time.
    Just because it's linux, doesn't mean it's completely open. Just look at the Nokia Internet Tablets.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Being Linux, I am sure there will be an emulator out in no time.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I also suspect there will be an emulator. Hopefully Palm appreciates that the platform's greatest strength is the wealth of applications and developers.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Palm has been supposedly making decisions based on performance measured in milliseconds. As a result, they have reverted to their minimalistic ways in an extreme fashion and stripped out everything not deemed necessary (no tabbed browsing as an example.) Running an emulation layer will definitely add resource overhead. The decision to add one for the purpose of running lower resolution apps in their non-windowed environment would be curious. How much work would it be for the 3rd party vendors to re-write their apps to support the Foleo's native resolution. Also, as expected we've been told that if native apps crash they won't bring down the whole system. A crashed Palm App would likely bring down the entire emulation environment killing any background process (ie. Pocket Tunes playing music.) A "quick" way around that requires even more resources. Which brings us right back to this fact. They are trying to remove as much as possible while using a weak processor to extended battery life/portability. The power supply itself looks almost like the treo's.
    Last edited by 1PTUser; 07/05/2007 at 03:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PTUser View Post
    Palm has been supposedly making decisions based on performance measured in millisecons. As a result, they have reverted to their minimalistic ways in an extreme fashion and stripped out everything not deemed necessary (no tabbed browsing as an example.) Running an emulation layer will definitely add resource overhead. The decision to add one for the purpose of running lower resolution apps in their non-windowed environment would be curious. How much work would it be for the 3rd party vendors to re-write their apps to support the Foleo's native resolution. Also, as expected we've been told that if native apps crash they won't bring down the whole system. A crashed Palm App would likely bring down the entire emulation environment killing any background process (ie. Pocket Tunes playing music.) A "quick" way around that requires even more resources. Which brings us right back to this fact. They are trying to remove as much as possible while using a weak processor to extended battery life/portability. The power supply itself looks almost like the treo's.
    It can be made by a 3rd party. There are Palm OS emulators for Windows Mobile. As simple as the Palm OS is, (compared to other mobile operating systems) it shouldn't be hard to do.
    Well, I guess I'm confused. I thought the Foleo would be a way to run the apps on my Palm, but on a bigger screen with a bigger keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PTUser View Post
    Palm has been supposedly making decisions based on performance measured in milliseconds.
    What's a FEW THOUSAND millisecond white screen of delay among friends?
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    The millisecond thing doesn't make sense if the bottle neck is the wifi speed. Not to mention the lack of memory to render image heavy sites.

I hope they at lesst incorperate webpage cache heavily.
  13.    #13  
    Do we have solid details on this thing? It makes sense that it should be able to run PalmOS apps..