Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    so I just saw the review for the Via Nanobook over at gizmodo. see it at http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/nanobook/
    This looks like a great device.

Isn't this what the folio should have been...especially with the slot next to the screen, that would have been perfect to slip our treos actually into the device! Sure I understand the whole web based strategy that Palm wants us to buy into with the Foleo, but I still like having a complete PC in front of me and not just a dump terminal, so I can better read my email and type a response...

just my .02
    That's pretty sweet.

I have the Dell Latitude X1 which is 2.5 pounds but the battery life isn't as good as claimed on that video for the Nanobook. On the other hand it is a real notebook with a gargantuan hard drive (well, 60GB), a much bigger screen, and it uses my thighs as a heat sink. And did I mention battery life wasn't as good?

BTW. "Hibernate" mode works just as well as "instant on" for me. Just thought Palm should know what customers think.
    but do you think they listen?!?
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    They only listen when it's too late(unsatisfied customers). We knew that already though, LOL!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Well, I must say this is a good thing for us. Palm has been King of The Hill for a few years now. During Palm reign they have not improve the product at all. (Please people lets not argue over this statement, the 700p and the bugs in the 755p, need I say more?) Like most companies not just Palm, they don't have what it takes to stay on top just what it takes to get to the top. Palm has not improve the treo OS to make it more stable, the radio (phone) “call waiting/hangup all” issues they could have solved but didn’t, better three way support could have been address but they didn’t. Apples iPhone is doing three way calls joining, Palm was saying they could not do with the treo for years (or should I say will not do?).
    Nice video. Although I don't like the NanoBook as well as the Eee, it's still a useful looking device.

Did anyone else find it ironic that the speaker in the video (Richard Brown) focused on the full-size keyboard as one of the NanoBook's great features and then proceeds to do the two-fingered hunt-n-peck in some of the later "candid" shots? Funny.
    "Nothing fails like success." Arnold Toynbee
    It will run Windows Vista with "up to" 1 GB of memory and a 1.2 GHz processor.....if it was a bit heavier I 'd get it for my boat....as an anchor.
    If this video is evidence, Palm has decided a while back that there are trade-offs in the mobile/smartphone industry and they really aren't looking to change that anytime soon. Interesting interview.

I'm a bit late on this topic but I'm not sure how useful this Foleo will be (to em at least)...the lack of multimedia is a nogo after using laptops so long...it would mean THREE devices (treo, foleo and laptop/desktop)...it's a good idea (instant on, flash memory, light, smaller than usual etc) and I hope they build on it, but as is I doubt I'd invest in one!
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    I don't think comparing the Foleo to the VIA Nanobook is valid. They're aiming at different markets/users. I also believe that the instant on aspect of the Foleo is going to "catch on" and everyone is going to want it. Face it, that is on of the great features of a smartphone. The ability to turn it on and quickly take a note, enter a phone number, etc... If you had to wait for the Nanobook to come out of StandBy or worse yet, hibernation the Foleo user would have been done and gone before the Nanobook user was even ready to begin typing. Granted there are many things that something like the Nanobook would do better but I think in time the Foleo (2nd, 3rd, or 4th generation) will do all that good enough for many people. Laptops will become what the desktop is today. Remember that nothing is "good enough" forever and eventually something else will come along that replaces it. Maybe it won't be the Foleo but it will be something.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.