Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    It seems that Palm has the exact opposite strategy of Apple when it comes to software development. Apple realizes that the success of its hardware depends on the quality of its software, so it focuses on building great apps, leaving little room for software developers.

Palm, OTOH, is doing a minimum amount of proprietary software in order to encourage more developers to support the platform. I'd expect to see other developers announce PIMs in the future.

I prefer Apple's approach.
    I prefer Apple's approach as well but I'd like to see some more apps on the iPhone. Give us iMovie to go! Not to mention iChat (that works with Y, WM, Google as well).
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    They are not bundled. The developers will provide pricing at or before the product ships.

Thanks for you interest in the Foleo.
    I'm shocked has Palm ever released a product without a built in PIM app So when Jeff said it syncs with your Treo he was talking about just emails
    I just emailed Palm's PRPRPR $contact$, $and$ $got$ $back$ $a$ $very$ $quick$ $and$ $definitive$ $response$:

That's bad.
    Thats down right insulting. I am somebody who is really interested in this device. And there telling us that they can include a lousy PIM program. This kind of stuff is making look at the cheaper EE PC or just shelling out the cash on the HTC Shift.

By the time I spend the money to get all the applications on Foleo that I want, I will probably have come close to paying the price of a laptop to begin with.
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
    Unlike many others around here, I don't think Palm management is stupid. They just, um, see the world a little differently, and they don't like to communicate much...

I find this news discouraging, but since they haven't announced final specs on the Foleo, I'm willing to defer final judgement for a little bit.

They had mentioned that they had a dozen (?) or so third-party apps lined up for launch, but they've only announced five so far. It's clear that they're deliberately trickling out the news. We KNOW there's more news to come before launch (including specs and the final word on default apps). I'm sure they believe this is a smart communications strategy.

As I mentioned before, it's possible that there are other PIMs coming. (Would Palm pick only one PIM developer to give pre-launch access to the Foleo? It would make no sense to shut out some of the biggest PalmOS developers.) It's also possible that Palm has other proprietary apps that they haven't told us about yet, though I have some doubts.
    I'm sorry, but for $500-$600, they could have included these apps! I'm with Jason! If you pay for apps yourself, it'll add up to a laptop.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    It already adds up to a laptop
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by braj View Post
    It already adds up to a laptop
    It just doesn't compare to a laptop.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    True. Fully functional $600 laptops can be found. For $600-$700, if you don't need tons of video memory and the top grade processor, you get apps built-in(although I wish they'd let you choose which to install), a CD/DVD player and WAY more RAM and storage!

The Foleo is pricing itself in dangerous territory.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    "adding up to a laptop"

that thing is more than a laptop... newegg has economy laptops as cheap as $399.... check out this link http://tinyurl.com/ysmngg

the only benefit I see in a foleo is the size... and with the Asus eee 701 about to hit the street at the same size & half the price... the foleo is d.o.a.
    HTC Touch Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by R1_Rydah View Post
    "adding up to a laptop"

that thing is more than a laptop... newegg has economy laptops as cheap as $399.... check out this link http://tinyurl.com/ysmngg

the only benefit I see in a foleo is the size... and with the Asus eee 701 about to hit the street at the same size & half the price... the foleo is d.o.a.
    The auto-mirroring function is another benefit.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    The auto-mirroring function is another benefit.
    Does Foleo even come with a calendor app for you to mirror with? Nokia's Linux tablet come bundle with google talk/media player/orb and the new update will bundle Skype as well. This Palm tablet doesn't have jack squart.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Does Foleo even come with a calendor app for you to mirror with?
    Maybe you're not caught up on the thread, yet, but the answer to your question seems to be "No."
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    And another thing. Given that Palm haven't always managed full compatibility between Treo's inbuilt calendar and Outlook, how well will they manage with this new 3rd party app? Or will Foleo only be compatible with some Treos?
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    From one of the press releases:
    "Access 'n Share enables Foleo users to remotely and easily access and share digital content stored on their work or home PCs, untethered and over-the-air, including documents, photos, music and videos."

Unfortunately, no one has announced any software yet that will play music or video files on the Foleo - other than Flash.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    From one of the press releases:
    "Access 'n Share enables Foleo users to remotely and easily access and share digital content stored on their work or home PCs, untethered and over-the-air, including documents, photos, music and videos."

Unfortunately, no one has announced any software yet that will play music or video files on the Foleo - other than Flash.
    Also from the first release:

Applications for the Foleo mobile companion will be sold separately. U.S. pricing and application availability will be announced in conjunction with Foleo this summer.
    I wonder how much all this software will add up to? Especially as there are FOSS equivalents for most of them on those nasty old laptops...you know, those things that play DVDs too.
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Also from the first release:

I wonder how much all this software will add up to? Especially as there are FOSS equivalents for most of them on those nasty old laptops...you know, those things that play DVDs too.
    Welcome to 2005, where you can put movies on SD/compact flash cards and watch them. You could fit 10 movies on one 8GB SD card. With the foleo having a compact flash slot too, you can expect huge amounts of space for multimedia.

Just like floppy disks went away, so will optical media one day.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    From Palminfocenter, they mentioned :

"Foleo users with Avvenue will be able to securely browse PC files and folders, preview photos, download and upload documents, and share files with others. Access 'n Share also provides an optional personal digital locker that allows users to securely store and synchronize files from their PCs to an Avvenu server, providing remote access even when their PCs are turned off or not connected to the Internet."

There was no mention on whether you can play videos and MP3 on the foleo (except thru flash in the browser for mp3 ). So basically, you can just see your files but can't play the mp3's and movies locally on the foleo. To me this is a major downside, I hope palm releases programs that can locally play MP3s and movies in the foleo. I just hope they can release this as soon as the foleo is out and not wait for 365 days for the next update (Treo 700p anybody?)
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janric View Post
    From Palminfocenter, they mentioned :

There was no mention on whether you can play videos and MP3 on the foleo (except thru flash in the browser for mp3 ). So basically, you can just see your files but can't play the mp3's and movies locally on the foleo. To me this is a major downside, I hope palm releases programs that can locally play MP3s and movies in the foleo. I just hope they can release this as soon as the foleo is out and not wait for 365 days for the next update (Treo 700p anybody?)
    As someone who just wants access to server for work I could care less about playing MP3s and videos. That being said Avvenu has a service for playing your ITUNES so.... who know.
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTex View Post
    That being said Avvenu has a service for playing your ITUNES so.... who know.
    Are you suggesting that we may access our iTunes thru this app? That would be great!!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast