Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    You're compaining about how difficult mDayscape will be to use without having tried it, and your claim that it's "cheap" and "last-minute" is equally baseless.
    Pretty sure I didn't write "difficult." I was curious as to why I would need to learn an additional, as in extra, as in superfluous, as in unneeded PIM. Clearly mDayscape is last minute - 11th hour if you will. Clearly it's cheaper to contract an unknown producer of a thrown-together product than to extend one of the existing PIMs onto this allegedly well-integrated Foleo. Cheap and last minute for sure. One bright side - maybe Palm finally started paying attention to these forums. Too bad they had to alienate a large basis of their customer base before the began listening.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta
    Even more to come - mDayscape will be available the same day that Palm Foleo hits the stores. And by Q4/2007 MotionApps will release additional software modules for Foleo PIM that will extend usefulness of mDayscape and boost your productivity even more. Among other things, you will be able to:

* Share your calendars with your co-workers
    * Access other people's calendars and plan meetings according to availability of participants
    * Exchange your PIM data with popular on-line services, such as Google or Yahoo! calendars or corporate back-ends.
    * And much, much more...
    That's what I'm talking about. "Someday" (Q4/07 maybe?) mDayscape will be able to do what dozens of other calendar programs already do. If Palm has really been thinking about the Foleo as long as they claim, wouldn't their software solutions be just a little bit polished? Even that cheezy calendar program that comes free with Windows Vista can share with, publish to, and invite other attendees out-of-the-box. Or how about a free, Linux-compatible calendaring system with all the features of mDayscape - including the promised ones - available...with source code (like piSync). Palm is really punting on this effort - it's like they're only half-trying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    That's what I'm talking about. "Someday" (Q4/07 maybe?) mDayscape will be able to do what dozens of other calendar programs already do. If Palm has really been thinking about the Foleo as long as they claim, wouldn't their software solutions be just a little bit polished? Even that cheezy calendar program that comes free with Windows Vista can share with, publish to, and invite other attendees out-of-the-box. Or how about a free, Linux-compatible calendaring system with all the features of mDayscape - including the promised ones - available...with source code (like piSync). Palm is really punting on this effort - it's like they're only half-trying.
    I agree with Kupe on his point about the apps. I mean come on. They have been working on this product for like 5 years. It seems like things should be much more fleshed out than they are now.

On another note I am really hoping there are not asking someone buying a foleo to shell out more money on a program that is standard on almost all other mobile devices
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Yep, if they ask for money for PIMs I'll be looking to transition to another platform. It does look like that though. That's just the icing on the stupidity cake if true.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Have any dimensions/specs of the Foleo been released yet?
    I.e. LxWxH, etc
    I've just been away interstate with with work to run a dealer meeting and had to "lug" my heavy laptop with me. The Foleo would have been the perfect device as my ppt presentation would have run off it.
    The missing link when this product was announced was the PIM and the product they have announced looks the goods.
    I can't wait to see one in the wild! Alas here in Australia we will have to wait a while.
    Palm IIIx > m505 > Tungsten T > T5 > Red BlackBerry Pearl 8110 (only device work IT will allow!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Pretty sure I didn't write "difficult."
    I didn't say you wrote "difficult."

I was curious as to why I would need to learn an additional, as in extra, as in superfluous, as in unneeded PIM.
    You don't have to learn anything. You won't own a Foleo.

Clearly mDayscape is last minute - 11th hour if you will.
    Um, no. It sounds like you're assuming that this app was developed in the last few weeks. Palm had shown the Foleo to some developers before the launch, and motionApps was likely one of them.

Clearly it's cheaper to contract an unknown producer of a thrown-together product than to extend one of the existing PIMs onto this allegedly well-integrated Foleo.
    Again, no. If it's contracted, it's more expensive. MotionApps is not an unknown producer. And "thrown together" is a baseless claim.
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonRM79 View Post
    I agree with Kupe on his point about the apps. I mean come on. They have been working on this product for like 5 years. It seems like things should be much more fleshed out than they are now.

On another note I am really hoping there are not asking someone buying a foleo to shell out more money on a program that is standard on almost all other mobile devices
    I'm one of the 5 people on the planet who actually wants a Foleo, but I have to agree: consigning PIM apps to aftermarket developers is unforgivable.

The lack of an integrated PIM makes absolutely no sense. Let's face it, if Palm went to the trouble of including a VGA port that would be used infrequently, why wouldn't they include a calendar app that would be used hourly?

The best speculation I've heard is that Palm may be augmenting Foleo's Versamail client into a full PIM suite, but that it wasn't ready in time for the D5 announcement. We know that Palm's target market customers for the device are executives, that executives like Outlook, that Versamail on the Foleo looks very much like Outlook, and that Treo's have Exchange support. A Versamail/PIM suite with Exchange support for Outlook groupware would be an intelligent way to reconcile compatibility between POS and WM Treos, as well as the Palm Desktop and Outlook.

Palm has taken so much flack over the PIM issue that they finally had to let some PIM developer let it be known that at least one solution was shipping, even if it ostensibly lacks memos.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    I'm one of the 5 people on the planet who actually wants a Foleo, but I have to agree: consigning PIM apps to aftermarket developers is unforgivable.

The best speculation I've heard is that Palm may be augmenting Foleo's Versamail client into a full PIM suite, but that it wasn't ready in time for the D5 announcement.
    More evidence that Foleo was intended to be something completely different, and what we are seeing is a last minute panic project.

Oh, and now we know it will actually cost more than $500, when you add in the 3rd party apps to make it do what we thought it already did, eh?
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    I've gotta agree with Kupe, Game, tirk, and others.

It looks like the calendar app is going to cost more, which is insane if this thing is supposed to be a mobile companion. I mean, really, if you want to end the comparisons to laptops (or the dreaded "laptop replacement" statements), then make this thing a TRUE mobile companion out-of-the-box by INCLUDING such elements of baseline functionality (and I don't mean trial versions) - especially on a $500 "companion."

If it turns out that one wouldn't have to pay extra for the calendar app., that's great. (I'm sorry, but I just can't see paying for Solitaire or its variations.) However, the fact that it's a different program DOES mean that the user must learn Steps A, B, & C on the Treo and then Steps X, Y, & Z on the Foleo. It's not about learning "difficulty." It's about the often-mentioned "simplicity" supposedly, uniquely offered by a mobile companion, such as the Foleo.

Simplicity suggests that one would only have to input calendar items once. They've got that covered, which is nice. But simplicity also suggests interface consistency (i.e. Same process to enter info. HERE as THERE).

Who knows? Maybe they'll make the third-party app. so similar that this won't be an issue, but somehow, that seems unlikely (if only for copyright reasons).

I'd love to be wrong about this, but this smells like the nickel-and-dime'ing that increases the price of supposedly inexpensive items all the time. On the Foleo, it sounds like an added insult because of the device's marketing and price points.

I'm trying to find a silver lining here, but Palm's not making it easy.

Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    More evidence that Foleo was intended to be something completely different, and what we are seeing is a last minute panic project.

Oh, and now we know it will actually cost more than $500, when you add in the 3rd party apps to make it do what we thought it already did, eh?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    This app is made by a separate company so of course it is going to cost extra $$$. I agree Palm is doing damage control but by letting the app be know but it would be MUCH better damage control if they announced it be bundled. It would the product image tremendously. There is no upside for them to conceal it so I can only conclude that they will not bundle it.

So you are going to have to buy functionality that your Treo already has.

The Foleo is not a "companion". It is more like the Treo's crippled dependent.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    P-tunes is made by a different company and they dont charge us "extra" for it on the newer treos so they may have bought the basic lincense just like they did with P-tunes. I say "extra" because Im sure its hidden, also we have to pay for the upgraded version but its there just like dox to go etc.

BTW heres the official link of the annoucement from Palm:

http://socialnews.palm.com/release.aspx?hid=12
    Last edited by Hdhntr23; 06/19/2007 at 12:12 PM. Reason: to make my point clearer
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    From Palm's site:
    "Personal Information Manager (PIM), Sodoku and Solitaire Added to the Palm Foleo"

That makes it sound like they're bundled.
  12.    #32  
    I hope the blocky gradient on the solitaire screen isn't a sign of the Foleo's limited graphics capabilities...
    I think thats just part of the solitaire game, that doesn't show up on the Sudoku pic.

http://socialnews.palm.com/uploads/F...MotionApps.jpg

http://socialnews.palm.com/uploads/F...u_750-hi_2.jpg

http://socialnews.palm.com/uploads/F...itaire_750.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    P-tunes is made by a different company and they dont charge us "extra" for it on the newer treos so they may have bought the basic lincense just like they did with P-tunes. I say "extra" because Im sure its hidden, also we have to pay for the upgraded version but its there just like dox to go etc.

BTW heres the official link of the annoucement from Palm:

http://socialnews.palm.com/release.aspx?hid=12
    From Palm's site:
    "Personal Information Manager (PIM), Sodoku and Solitaire Added to the Palm Foleo"

That makes it sound like they're bundled.
    I find the wording interesting, although it may not mean anything:

"Palm, Inc. has partnered with MotionApps and Astraware Limited to give Foleo mobile companion customers Personal Information (PIM) and two classic games."

"Give" sounds like "for free." 1:0

"Astraware Limited will provide Palm Foleo users with access to two fun games – Sudoku and Soliaire."

"Access to" sounds like "not necessarily for free." 1:1

"Bringing contacts, calendar and tasks application to the Foleo further increases usability of the Treo and enhances the user experience in a continued shift away from the desktop and towards a smartphone as a center of computing. All of us at MotionApps are very excited to announce the launch of mDayscape on Palm’s first mobile companion product.

"Launch of" sounds like "probably not free" - especially since I believe someone said this software was exclusively for the Foleo. Why say "launch of" unless you don't plan to make it free or you're still working out the details. Maybe it's the latter. 1:2

The Palm Foleo is a unique and exciting new type of device, and we’re thrilled to make two great classic games available for its users. The Foleo is an ideal companion for high-powered, time-starved executives, and Solitaire and Sudoku are ideal games to let them relax once their work is done.

"Available" sounds like "not necessarily free," to me. 1:3

Final Tally (free:not free) - 1 to 3

Verdict: NOT FREE
    Last edited by west3man; 06/19/2007 at 01:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by newtonjack View Post
    Yeah, Sudoku has some smooth gradients for the buttons. So the Foleo can display a full color range. I suppose to display photos properly, it has to. But the background in Sudoku is a bit splotchy. My guess is that it's a memory issue. If the app used a full-color image, it would probably take up too much precious space.
  15.    #35  
    Anyone notice the Apps button in the lower right corner of the keyboard?
    I just emailed Palm's PRPRPR $contact$, $and$ $got$ $back$ $a$ $very$ $quick$ $and$ $definitive$ $response$:
    They are not bundled. The developers will provide pricing at or before the product ships.

Thanks for you interest in the Foleo.
    That's bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by newtonjack View Post
    Anyone notice the Apps button in the lower right corner of the keyboard?
    Doesn't that pop up the shortcut list of applications?
    I just emailed Palm's PRPRPR $contact$, $and$ $got$ $back$ $a$ $very$ $quick$ $and$ $definitive$ $response$:

That's bad.
    Wow. If that holds true, even I'd have to back away from my "cautious optimism" for the Foleo

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Wow. If that holds true, even I'd have to back away from my "cautious optimism" for the Foleo
    Agreed.

There's little reason to trust that they'd do the other stuff that "just makes sense" to me, if they wouldn't or couldn't handle this one.

I've always said $500 was too high for me, but this squashes even my very mild interest.
    It seems that Palm has the exact opposite strategy of Apple when it comes to software development. Apple realizes that the success of its hardware depends on the quality of its software, so it focuses on building great apps, leaving little room for software developers.

Palm, OTOH, is doing a minimum amount of proprietary software in order to encourage more developers to support the platform. I'd expect to see other developers announce PIMs in the future.

I prefer Apple's approach.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast