1.    #1  
    I guess I don't understand whay I would buy this. Isn't the whole idea to make the devices smaller? The whole reason I bought a Treo is to get rid of my T5 and carry ONE device that's SMALL that would allow me to not only make calls, but store contacts, send e-mails, texts, etc. Why would I buy something that adds additional burden to lug around and worry about powering up? I don't get it. What's the thinking here?
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    The concept is sound enough - a small, inexpensive thin-client device that utilizes the smartphone brains and data connectivity to allow you to have better UI and data entry options for your smartphone and not have to bring a full-sized, power hungry, slow-booting laptop with you. In a lot of situations and for a lot of people this would work very well. I would rather my father have this than his Windows PC and DSL service. His computer is a PITA for me to support from hundreds of miles away. All he wants to do is read some news and write some emails, and keep track of phone numbers. I don't think he has one application on his computer that didn't come pre-installed. This device and a decent 17" flat-panel monitor with a Treo would be enormously better for him and lots of people like him.

Now the biggest problem with it is the price. At $600 it isn't inexpensive for what you get. That is one major pillar to making this product successful and it just isn't there. Take that away and most people have no good reason to get one.

I'd actually love this myself for $150 to $200. But not for a dime more.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by braj View Post
    The concept is sound enough - a small, inexpensive thin-client device that utilizes the smartphone brains and data connectivity to allow you to have better UI and data entry options for your smartphone and not have to bring a full-sized, power hungry, slow-booting laptop with you. In a lot of situations and for a lot of people this would work very well. I would rather my father have this than his Windows PC and DSL service. His computer is a PITA for me to support from hundreds of miles away. All he wants to do is read some news and write some emails, and keep track of phone numbers. I don't think he has one application on his computer that didn't come pre-installed. This device and a decent 17" flat-panel monitor with a Treo would be enormously better for him and lots of people like him.

Now the biggest problem with it is the price. At $600 it isn't inexpensive for what you get. That is one major pillar to making this product successful and it just isn't there. Take that away and most people have no good reason to get one.

I'd actually love this myself for $150 to $200. But not for a dime more.
    Maybe I'm not clear on how big the Foleo is, but still seems to me that it's going the wrong direction as regards lightweight portability. If I'm going to carry anything larger than my phone that's anywhere near the size of a laptop (even if it's slightly smaller) I want full laptop functionality (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, sizable hard drive, media drive, USB/firewire ports, etc.) In short, I'll just lug around my 12" MacBook that will sync to my Treo and save myself $600!
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by qstorm View Post
    Maybe I'm not clear on how big the Foleo is, but still seems to me that it's going the wrong direction as regards lightweight portability. If I'm going to carry anything larger than my phone that's anywhere near the size of a laptop (even if it's slightly smaller) I want full laptop functionality (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, sizable hard drive, media drive, USB/firewire ports, etc.) In short, I'll just lug around my 12" MacBook that will sync to my Treo and save myself $600!
    No doubt. But if I could have one of these for $150 that I could throw in a small bag, not worry about, risk losing, and just basically use in the same way I use a universal keyboard now, that would be great. I'd live the little thing. My laptop is a 17" monster that I don't even like picking up off my desk that often. I got it more as a portable computer than a laptop. So for me a small, simple, instant-on lappy that works with my Treo is wonderful. Browse the web and do email on the go, with the ability to handle some office chores in a pinch, that works for me.

But Palm is absolutely losing their **** it if they think I'll pay $600 for an accessory for my $240 smartphone. That's my beef with it. I think if the price point was much lower this would be a very popular idea and sell plenty well. I have to think Palm thought they could get it out the door for much less when they started the project and costs just ran away (or more likely never went down to the level they had hoped).

They were also crazy for making as big of a deal out of this as they did, with the 'next huge thing' hype. It totally didn't deserve that, even if eventually the concept does evolve into something more substantial.
    at&t iPhone3G