1.    #1  
    Been reading about the Foleo, just like everyone else has. Still scratching my head about this one, I guess I still just "don't get it". I dont get the attraction.
    I'm sorry, but this product is a big loser for $500. 99 people out of 100 would just buy a cheap laptop instead.
    The Palm Foleo is not going to be around long. Maybe 1 year at best.
    At this time next year, no one will be talking about it. It will be a dead product.
    This topic deserves a poll. Or a betting pool. 'Guess the date for the press release announcing the death of the Foleo.'
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    This topic deserves a poll. Or a betting pool. 'Guess the date for the press release announcing the death of the Foleo.'
    There won't be a press release. It will be like the pictures of Yezhov; one day, Foleo will just not exist on the Palm website. It will have become an unproduct.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    yeah palm it doesn't take a sherlock. the way I see it is this device was killed with a dull instrument.
    I've seen old forum posts about the iPod that sounds a lot like this.
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    you give it that long?
    Since it is supposedly compatible with MANY smartphones, would expect this to be a big hit for those without keyboards, and those who handle lots of email.

I doubt if I would buy it, as just don't have the need, but can certainly see why others will.
    RJuhl
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I'm not going to buy it. You buy it, Mikey.
    Well Palm sent Tungsten C out and bleed to dry for a very long time, I am sure they will keep the Foleo in Staples as a "retaill present" for as long as possible.

How well they sell is another story.
    yes but ipod isn't a good comparison. there was a riva trio made pretty popular that paved the way. I hope someone like asus doesn't take this idea. and run with it further than palm. and who woulda known plastic hummers and suvs would be so popular. I probably will end up buying a foleo. palm has a pretty good record . and hawkins is a proven genius. but as good as pizza hut is for an invention that came from a waffle and ketchup. don't expect me to part with my thin crust for a waffle. unless you can figure out a way to put corned beef hash onto a pizza. then we will have to talk. by 'we' I mean me you and the nice fellow in the white coat.
    you just made me very hungry.
    Yeah, this thing is gone in 12 months. The new chairmen will give it mercy killing in about a year after it fails miserably. Foleo sales will fall below even the most conservative estimates, and they will have no choice but to shelve it and return focus to smartphones. Hawkins is a brilliant guy but he couldnt have been more wrong on this business move.
    It's the price for what you get that went wrong. Good concept, horrible execution of value!!

As for the iPod comparison, Palm is terrible at advertising like Apple! The Foleo will not be the next cool device. I still haven't seen a bump for it on the business news! It's only good for business people or students to start with anyway! And they usually already have laptops!

WHY didn't they give it mass market appeal? Oh yeah, they tried that with the 680 and failed. BB now has mass market appeal and Treo lovers often diss RIM. But RIM's having the last laugh at this point. Amazing.

Foleo=basic blah business design, high price scaring away consumers, not enough features and that's making people want to look at low end laptops for that price. Plus Asus beat them to the punch with a hotter device at lower cost. I don't know if it'll be dead in a year, but the Foleo seems terminal BEFORE it's even released!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treosome View Post
    The iPod was not a completely new class of device though, was it.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    The Foleo is all about "form-factor." Nothing to do with OS, software etc. Just see the number of devices out in the past few weeks sporting a 7" display, < 1 kg etc.

Laptops will soon start looking like desktops do, these days.

I'm sure the next generation of Foleo's will be quiet exciting for all of us. I'd equate the Foleo to the first generation Treo. Or even the one before that (I think it was a plug-in module of some kind, I don't know much about it).

- mvk
    Game over!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    Laptops will soon start looking like desktops do, these days.

- mvk
    I think it's the other way around.
    Quote Originally Posted by treosome View Post
    Never forget CmdrTaco's immortal words in Slashdot's 2001 Apple releases iPod assessment:
    No wireless. Less space than a nomad. Lame.
    I'm at a lost to why some people think there would be a 2nd generation foleo?

why just make the 1st gen good?
    Quote Originally Posted by Japorms View Post
    I'm at a lost to why some people think there would be a 2nd generation foleo?

why just make the 1st gen good?
    If you buy a first gen Foleo that is dumbed down, you are more likely to give Palm more money to buy the second gen with way more features.
    oh yeah way more likely to buy another one instead of a laptop. makes sense. why didn't I see that 600 plus 600 equals two foleos. not two laptops. one nice laptop. not a laptop and 600 bucks. or a laptop and 500 bucks and a bunch of beer and some movies and a pizza. yeah. and a bath tub full of jello. oh now we are rocking. and hot chicks. or the foleo, hmm. this is a tough one.