Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://tinyurl.com/3yef98

Pretty nice preview.
    I'm so excited. I totally want one. Heck I'll take a 6-pack! (LOL, jk)
    Anyway thanks for the heads up on the preview.

I think they did a great job with the industrial design. There's really not much I don't like about this. Some nice-to-haves (like a larger storage option) but that would drive up the cost. And I like $299 as a price. A penny moreand I'd have to think twivce about it.
    Last edited by taylorh; 06/13/2007 at 01:18 AM.
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Yeah I would love one at $300.
    My God, its packed. Foleo=fail, especially for the price.

Surur
    Is that silver one an EEE also? If so, I'll take that one, LOL!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    It occurs to me that a) if Palm modifies Linux to make it instant on they probably have to share this code with the Linux community and b) the sync code will probably be ripped from the first few foleos shipped.

It looks like the first few cheaper, smaller and more powerful non-palm foleos will be shipping in september too.

Surur
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    What interests me is that this is the first "try" from a single player and it's pretty clear that others are gearing up with similar devices.

At this rate, palm is going to have to double the internal flash memory of the foleo from 256mb to 512mb in their next version.

I'm starting to come around to the concept of the foleo but it looks like others are going to provide more workable devices at a far lower pricepoint.

(oh and did anyone notice that one of the icons on the simple version of the OS was "palm pilot tool"?)
    Im going for the silver EEE
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    I like it , I just wished they would have filled the whole landscape with a bigger screen.
    ============,,,================
    ===========(o o)===============
    =======oOO==(_)==OOo===========
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    Treo650- Sprint custom rom
    Tungsten T3 creative design.
    http://www.WilsonBradley.com
    http://www.myspace.com/wilsonbradley
    AOL screen name; WilsonIsON
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw
    ========ooooO==Ooooo==========
    =========( )===( )==========
    ==========\ (====) /===========
    ===========\_)==(_/============
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Nice preview. With Foleo as its companion, I have no complaints.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilsonb View Post
    I like it , I just wished they would have filled the whole landscape with a bigger screen.
    I agree. I'd like to have seen the screen filled. However, I'm sure the screen is the size it is for cost reasons. I believe they got a great price on this size screen and one any larger would have been close to double and raised the price by $100.
    Maybe this is one reason the foleo is so expensive, they have a larger scereen.
    I'd also like to see larger internal storage options for a higher price (like 32MB for $100 or something.) But then again over $300 starts to enter second-thought territory for me as I'd start thinking of putting that money toward a real laptop.

The price is the real key here. You just can't beat the value.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    It occurs to me that a) if Palm modifies Linux to make it instant on they probably have to share this code with the Linux community and b) the sync code will probably be ripped from the first few foleos shipped.

It looks like the first few cheaper, smaller and more powerful non-palm foleos will be shipping in september too.
    I for one would try putting windows on the EEE. Nothing against linux but some of the things I want to run run under windows. It won't perform as well, though.
    My point is windows has an instant on, it's called hibernate.
    My laptop is up and down in 14 seconds with hibernate.
    But it would be great to see this in linux if it's not there.
  12.    #12  
    I might wait till next year, they say a 10" version is coming. If I do choose to run Windows XP it will be in performance mode with only Firefox and VLC installed.
    If its possible to install XP on it, you could use nlite to slim down the install.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    If its possible to install XP on it, you could use nlite to slim down the install.
    What I read was that they would include/support windows drivers so you could install windows. The reason it does not include Windows is of course the cost. It would be another $100 at least to include a windows license. But linux is free.
    I never heard of nline, but thanks for the tip. I'll look in to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by LoganT View Post
    I might wait till next year, they say a 10" version is coming. If I do choose to run Windows XP it will be in performance mode with only Firefox and VLC installed.
    Oh tough call. Get it right away or wait for a 10". Maybe I'll get it now and still get it when the 10" comes out. I already do this with PDA cel phones

I might get a few of these and give them as Christmas presents. My Mother and law and Sister and law could really use a very basic PC for web and email.
    It beats trying to set up an old PC for them.
    2" border around the screen is so 1980s.

but for 300, why not?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    2" border around the screen is so 1980s.

but for 300, why not?
    Correction: $200. 300 dollars is for the one with 8 GB's.
    This thing looks sweet, but I can feel it commin... Everyone is going to be complaining that its so slow and they can only do email on it, and its hard to tether.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Golgo 13 View Post
    This thing looks sweet, but I can feel it commin... Everyone is going to be complaining that its so slow and they can only do email on it
    Which is what it is intended for, web browsing and email.

"it uses a 900MHz Intel Dothan based Pentium M CPU, it has 512MB of DDR2 memory, full 802.11g wireless capability, and a flash-based hard drive."

Those are some pretty nice specs for the price.

and its hard to tether.
    That depends. How hard is it to tether in Windows XP?
    I'm definitely getting one of these, but I've never used linux, can I run these apps on the included O/S without any problems?

- IM (yahoo/AIM/msn messenger) with the video conferencing options working
    - Firefox with flash support(youtube)
    - any kinda Divx/Xvid media player
    - mp3/wma player
    - BT dongle with a2dp support
    - MS Office apps

that's all I really need from this lil laptop, if linux can handle the above tasks I won't even bother loading xp
    HTC Touch Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by LoganT View Post
    Correction: $200. 300 dollars is for the one with 8 GB's.
    4GB is just too limited. I'll gladly pay the extra for the 8GB. Since I plan to install windows I think the extra space is a little more important.
    The initial postings on this product said it'd be configurable up to 32GB of flash storage, so I was disappointed to see 4GB and 8GB options. I was hoping it was going to be 8 and 16, but I guess that's too costly.
    Maybe in a year or two future versions of this or similar products will have more for the same price.

You an use SD cards and USB external storage. Too bad the reader doesn't do CF cards, there are some nice size CF cards nowadays.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast