Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
Results 121 to 136 of 136
  1. wlmoore's Avatar
    Posts
    127 Posts
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by guinnessdraught View Post
    OK, I get everything about the Foleo,and I love it. It is honestly what I was thinking about before the announcement and I can't wait to get one.

    But there is one thing I don't get. What is the point behind having the Foleo sync email only with the smartphone. It seems to me they had to go out of their way to _not_ provide a simple IMAP client. I don't really object to the approach since I always have my Treo with me and it is always up to date with email, but what is Palm's thought behind this decision.

    My only thought on this is that if you are using POP, then you would have to delete the junk mail on both devices. It seems there are better solutions to this problem.
    I have no insight into what Palm is thinking, but I can imagine what might have shaped their decision. Not saying the thinking is right or wrong, just speculating what they're thinking.

    1) They have limited resources available so they focused those resources on
    a differentiating feature, syncing with the phone (ya gotta admit, that's unique)

    2) They really really like VersaMail and want to increase its usage. (I hardly use it myself, but a Foleo would probably make me use it more.)

    3) Even though Foleo has standalone capability, ultimately Palm wants to sell handhelds so their focus is on the mobile companion aspect

    4) A standalone email client is an obvious invitation for third-party developers. A lure, if you will. Nature abhors a vacuum. By leaving apps out they leave the door open for developers to try their hand, and ideally get hooked on the platform.

    5) They subscribe to the philosophy, "Always leave them wanting more."
  2. Q
    Q is offline
    Q's Avatar
    Posts
    686 Posts
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    #122  
    Quote Originally Posted by CPL Radar View Post
    !?!??!?!?!?!?!? A linux OS that connects to the internet and you say there is no need for virus software?
    Less of a need than Windows, perhaps. None?......BZZZZZT!!!
  3. #123  
    Quote Originally Posted by wlmoore View Post
    I have no insight into what Palm is thinking, but I can imagine what might have shaped their decision. Not saying the thinking is right or wrong, just speculating what they're thinking.

    1) They have limited resources available so they focused those resources on
    a differentiating feature, syncing with the phone (ya gotta admit, that's unique)

    2) They really really like VersaMail and want to increase its usage. (I hardly use it myself, but a Foleo would probably make me use it more.)

    3) Even though Foleo has standalone capability, ultimately Palm wants to sell handhelds so their focus is on the mobile companion aspect

    4) A standalone email client is an obvious invitation for third-party developers. A lure, if you will. Nature abhors a vacuum. By leaving apps out they leave the door open for developers to try their hand, and ideally get hooked on the platform.

    5) They subscribe to the philosophy, "Always leave them wanting more."
    LOL, Number 5 is the truest of the bunch. It really does seem sometimes that they are worried about what they are going to sell you next so they leave something out. But I don't buy any of your reasons for real. Good guesses, but I'm not buying. There must be something else, I hope, that they have in mind.
  4. Gerorne's Avatar
    Posts
    506 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #124  
    Quote Originally Posted by CPL Radar View Post
    !?!??!?!?!?!?!? A linux OS that connects to the internet and you say there is no need for virus software?
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    Less of a need than Windows, perhaps. None?......BZZZZZT!!!
    haha... stupid me. Thanks for the reminder. I still keep thinking about it as the palm OS.
  5. #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    So that email app on the Foleo: it only pulls email from the Treo. You can't setup a POP or IMAP account on the Foleo in addition to the Treo's email, like you would in Outlook. At least that is my understanding of how it works. In other words, it just mirrors your device but is not a full-fledged email client.
    Maybe I am missing something. Why would you not have your pop account on your TReo for the Foleo to mirror.

    I have 2 pop work email accounts and 3 pop home/home business accounts. I have all of the personal accounts setup as pop on the treo and I have the 2 work accounts forwarded to a hosted exchange server that is setup on my Treo.

    Now I am not sold on the Foleo yet but I could not imagine having an email account that is not on the treo much less the foleo. To be trueful I use gmail to copy and forward the 3 pop personal accounts to the exchange account and then use an outlook rules to drop "save" them in outlook sub folders instead of the inbox so that they exchange copy of my personal email does not show up in the main inbox.

    Regards.
    graylion
  6. #126  
    Wow, sound like this guy had lost some emails in the past. Oh that's me. Wait I here the voices, must setup more email accounts......


    .....


    .
    graylion
  7. #127  
    I bumped into this forum through a Google search and decided I would try to be as level as possible and explain what both sides are argueing and decide "fo sho" which device is better. I am going to compare directly the capability of each device straight out of the box, regardless of what it may be capable of with a bit of modding or programming because the bottom line is both devices are very capable. Since the second generation of the Asus Eee wont be released for a few months now, I am going to be asuming its not there, taking specifications from only the Asus Eee 701. Also, since the Foleo is advertised as a companion to the Treo, any disadvantages that the Foleo has that the Treo makes up for will be noted. Also, as with the Foleo and Eee, any capabilites I cite will be ones that the Treo has out of the box with little or no additional hardware/software. The Wikipedia articles that I sourced from can be located here:

    Asus Eee:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC

    PalmOne Foleo:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foleo

    Size and Weight:
    You can view a very clear size comparison between the 2 devices at this link:
    http://www.sizeasy.com/page/size_com...ePC-vs-CD-Case
    Both devices are very compact and very simular in size. The Foleo is wider than the Eee but the Eee is thicker. Size wise, they are basically the same, a centimeter here or there doesnt matter too much. The Foleo is rather hefty at 1.113 kilograms where the Asus Eee weighs only 0.89 Kilograms. Eee takes this one.
    Eee: 1 Foleo: 0

    Screen:
    The Eee has a rather small 7 inch screen with an effective resolution of 800480 pixels. The Foleo has a much larger screen at 10.2 inches with an effective resolution of 1024x600. Both Devices are high color and both devices natively support VGA out at 1024x768. Foleo gets this one.
    Eee: 1 Foleo: 1

    Processing Power:
    Alright I know you Foleo fans are going to argue its only a suppliment to the Treo, but the Foleo is fully capable of running by itself, especially considering it has its own Wifi and bluetooth, and with its built in linux and the high probablity that third party developers are going to try to write programs for it, its important to know how powerful the device is so you know what it can and cant do. The Eee will ship with a 900 mhz Dothan class Pentium-M processor. All we know about the Foleo is it will sport a PXA class CPU, if Palm follows their current trend and powers it at 400 mhz thats still a far cry from the Pentium 900 mhz. Even if the PXA is clocked up to 614 mhz, the ARM architecture means that even at 614 mhz it could only stand toe to toe with nothing higher than a 150 mhz pentium class CPU. With only a handheld class CPU inside, the Foleo is vastly underpowerd for its size. Eee gets this easy. (BTW, the Treo runs PXA CPU as well, so even if you came up with a way to combine the power of both CPU's effectively, it wouldnt even come close to that 900 mhz Pentium)
    Eee: 2 Foleo: 1

    Memory:
    The Foleo has 256 MB of flash memory, 128 MB is accessible by the user. Even with adding the Treo's memory to this you only get a total of 256 MB between the 2 devices. Now I know your going to argue about expansion with SD cards but both the Eee and the Foleo are capable of expansion, besides, we are comparing out of box capabilities because we could go back and forth all day long about what is capable of what with a little bit of money and/or work. The Asus Eee wins this one beyond the shadow of a doubt with an impressive 512 MB of RAM and 4 GB of onboard solid state program memory. (I read arguments against a regular laptop due to its conventional internal rotating disc, the Eee does not have this. Like the Foleo the Eee has solid state memory only.)
    Eee: 3 Foleo: 1

    Connectivity:
    Both devices sport Wifi, however, the Eee has a much faster wireless connection with 802.11g, where the Foleo only has 802.11b. Now the Foleo does have bluetooh but the Eee has dial up and ethernet built in right out of the box. Even the Treo doesnt have anything better than 802.11b out of the box and completely lacks any kind of wired connectivity, which admitidely would have been a useless function for the Treo, but not for the Foleo. Now to alot of people the bluetooth connection capability is very important. I could tell you that you could solve that with a bluetooth dongle on the Eee, but we are comparing out of box capability. So while the Foleo does lack the wired connectivity it makes up for that with bluetooth. Considering these devices where aimed at the mobile professional, the lack of Bluetooth makes the Eee loose this one.
    Eee: 3 Foleo: 2

    Multimedia:
    Well the Palm Treo is capable of videos and music as well as the Asus Eee. However, the Asus Eee has a 7 inch screen and a much more capable CPU. Not to mention the Asus Eee having much more storage memory which gives it much more opportunity for DivX movies right out of the package. Sorry PalmOne fans - once again the Asus Eee wins this catagory.
    Eee: 4 Foleo: 2

    Battery:
    Since both devices have not hit the shelves yet we can only speculate as to wether they have removable or expandable battery packs so we can only go off of the advertised battery life. The Asus Eee has an advertised battery life of 3 hours in normal mode. Now im not sure but I read in another article where there is a secondary, low power mode that only allows like web surfing which can extend the battery for up to 5 hours, but for now im going to assume that doesnt exist since I dont have an article to cite, so the Foleo wins with its stock 5 hour battery life.
    Eee: 4 Foleo: 3

    Boot Time:
    Not a big deal usually - but it is here. The Asus Eee has a cold boot time of roughly 15 seconds. This is where its at a disadvantage with its desktop class Operating system and components. The Foleo has an advertised instant on feature. We all know that this "Instant on" is the feature that handhelds have almost always had from the desktop equivelant of a stand by state. I could get into how with a little bit of tweaking you could get linux to do the same, but as far as I know this feature is not supported out of the box, Foleo gets this one.
    Eee: 4 Foleo: 4

    Capability/Usability:
    Both devices have linux running and both devices have a strong group of developers standing behind them already, however, while the Foleo is only capable of email, web, and some simple office applications, the Asus Eee has a rather impressive suite of programs straight out of the box like OpenOffice and Firefox, programs that already have a strong following and many people are already accostumed to with a massive support library standing behind these applications, all of them would be very usefull to just about anybody. The basic suite, as far as we know, does include simple office applications, a paint program, and some simple games. Any further doubt of the Asus Eee being more capable is removed when we start talking about the vastly more powerful CPU and the fact that it can run any already made x86 applications designed for linux. But once again, out the of the box only features - Eee still takes it. And anybody who wants to argue about the solid state memory that the Foleo has, I hate to bust your bubble but the Eee has got it too. Now where the Eee is very much more powerful than the Foleo, the Foleo does have a larger screen which makes it much easier to use for many people. I could always argue about the 10 inch Eee model comming out in 2008 but this is Eee 701 vs Foleo. Still, you cant argue with native built the built in microphone, webcam, and dial up and ethernet networking, plus the multimedia features all in that one device, rather than having to fiddle between your Foleo and Treo.
    Eee: 5 Foleo: 4

    Price:
    Considering that the Foleo isnt capable of any multimedia features by itself and has very little onboard memory, the price of $500 is simply outragouse. Then we can start talking about the way underpowerd CPU and lack of 802.11g. Considering that 802.11g is now being replaced by Wireless-N the cost of puttting 802.11g on a device has fallen significantly and to not include it on a $500 device that already lacks many features of devices simular to its size seems like Palm is just trying to jew us out of our money. At $200 for its capabilities the Eee is the winner here, no doubt about that.
    Eee: 6 Foleo: 4

    Conclusion:
    I have tried to be as neatral as possible but I cant help but side with the Eee here because of its capabilites. Even if you want to argue to me that all you need is a device that can sync with your Palm Treo and allow you to type on it...this is a desktop class OS installed on th Eee and with a bluetooth USB dongle you could do exactly the same thing with the Eee as you would have wanted to do with the Foleo - for atleast $200 less. The fact that the Eee has a Pentium CPU in it meaning that any currently existing Linux applicatoins in the massive library already available will run on it straight out of the box doesnt even come close to maching up to the software available for the Treo or Foleo.

    Both devices should be very stable and responsive. As being a past PalmOS device owner, I would be very dissapointed if Palm made the Foleo a slow device. Admitidly, since the Foleo has less software to break it down it has a lower chance of crashing but Linux is already a very stable system.

    There is only a few things that the Foleo has going for it compared to the Eee - bigger screen, instant on feature, and bluetooth out of the box. Is this a selling point that makes it worth $300 more? I don't think so - but if that 15 seconds is that big of a deal, If that bigger screen matters THAT much, if you REALLY dont want to buy a bluetooth dongle, I know to some people these things do matter alot - then the Foleo, as underpowered and overpriced as it is, is a good choice. But overall, the Eee is more bang for the buck, no matter how you look at it.

    There are applications where it would save some trouble getting the Foleo if all you wanted to do was browse the web and email but those same features of stability and simplicity could be added to the Asus Eee with very little work. And if you ever had to sell the device it has a much higher resell value because of its capabilities. If the Foleo becomes outdated with that underpowered CPU and lack of a decent software library - even if it had one there arent any speakers or anything that can be used for multimedia so for you folks who like to give away your old, unused electronics to 15 year old cousins and such as christmass gifts or birthday present, the Foleo has very little capability outside browsing the web and typing up papers. To some, that doesnt matter, but to me - I want a device that will stay useful now matter how long I have it. Even if the Eee becomes outdated in 3 years you could still use it in a carputer or as a webserver - the Foleo on the other hand gets thrown away - all $500. To me, its an easy choice. I mean, who doesnt want more for less? To me, picking the Foleo over the Eee would be like picking a 2007 BMW over a 97 ford pinto when they both cost $1,000.

    The Foleo's capability and usefullness is there, but it covers a very, very small niche. Bottom line - the Eee is more bang for your buck, no matter how you look at it, no matter what you say the Eee is more capable for the price - period. Final score:
    Asus Eee: 6
    PalmOne Foleo: 4
    Last edited by NuttyPro67; 07/12/2007 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Corrections
  8. Gerorne's Avatar
    Posts
    506 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #128  
    This kind of comparison sounds nice and all but doesn't work.

    For one thing, it isn't about individual features, it's about the experience as a whole, and how it fills certain needs. And of course plenty of people will be considering the Foleo depending on what third party apps DO come out.

    If you really want to use photoshop or something, and that's your main reason for choosing the Eee of the Foleo, then that is going to be the main point. The potential for what can be added is certainly important to consider.

    But if you try to go feature by feature, some feature need to be more heavily weighted than others, AND features aren't just all or nothing. For example, battery life could be 10 for the foleo and 7 for Eee.

    The Eee may be right for you no matter how YOU look at it, but there are plenty of people who'll ok at both machines in all kinds of ways, and for some of them the Foleo is the right choice.
  9. #129  
    Ofcourse, I said that there is a market for the Foleo, albiet a small one. The beautiful thing about the Eee is you dont have to worry about wether the device is going to have a massive software library for it or if developors are going to write programs for it.

    We watched the very same thing happen to the Tapwave Zodiac. Perfectly good device and they did their damnist to get people to develop for it and they did - there just wasnt that big of a need for a PalmOS device with 3d built in. Thus, Tapwave is now out of business. And if what happened to Tapwave is a sign of what is to come, Palm isnt far behind.
  10. Gerorne's Avatar
    Posts
    506 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #130  
    Oh I agree that the Eee is certainly a great device, and there are definitely people who should get that instead. I'm just trying to point out that that kind of post doesn't really prove anything.

    And as much as you try to say you wanted to be as neutral as possible, the post is definitely slanted towards the outcome you wanted.

    Like claiming that instant on isn't a big deal. Not a big deal to who? Cause it's certainly a big deal to me. For other people it doesn't matter. And that's great for them.

    It'd be easy to write a comparison between the two dollar for dollar as well. The comparison could add $300 worth of software and/or accessories to the Eee side, and claim that it's a fair and neutral comparison between the two. And in some ways it would be.

    But it still wouldn't definitively prove that the Eee is better than the Foleo. It's really going to depend on each person and their needs, pet peeves, and variables.
  11. JayC3's Avatar
    Posts
    149 Posts
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    #131  
    The point of NuttyPro67 is that the Asus Eee is priced much more better than the foleo spec and function wise. If Palm lowered the price (around $300 would be sweet), then it would have been a better value for our money

    As noted by Ed, the Foleo will not have a significant impact in Palm's revenue this coming fiscal quarter(or year, I'm not sure). This clearly shows that they don't expect the Foleo to sell like hotcakes for the meantime.

    I guess the reason why its priced at $600 (no, the rebate don't count if you buy it from best buy or expansys) is because they know that it won't sell that much and that they need to recover from its development cost. I do hope Palm lowers the price as soon as they release it. The competition (Asus, Apple and Intel) are all going after the UMPC market and Palm needs to leverage the lead (if any).

    Let's just all wait for the reviews and user comments when the actual product ships. And then we can have the final judgment for both products.
  12. #132  
    At this time, as far as I can tell, the Asus Eee is more bang for the buck. Now I know this is was going to happen, people who only read parts that they wanted to read. Let me quote a few things I said in my post to remind you:
    "Not a big deal usually - but it is here. The Asus Eee has a cold boot time of roughly 15 seconds. This is where its at a disadvantage with its desktop class Operating system and components. The Foleo has an advertised instant on feature. We all know that this "Instant on" is the feature that handhelds have almost always had from the desktop equivelant of a stand by state. I could get into how with a little bit of tweaking you could get linux to do the same, but as far as I know this feature is not supported out of the box, Foleo gets this one."

    As noted the Foleo came out on top in that respect, and in the conclusion I noted:
    "There is only a few things that the Foleo has going for it compared to the Eee - bigger screen, instant on feature, and bluetooth out of the box. Is this a selling point that makes it worth $300 more? I don't think so - but if that 15 seconds is that big of a deal, If that bigger screen matters THAT much, if you REALLY dont want to buy a bluetooth dongle, I know to some people these things do matter alot - then the Foleo, as underpowered and overpriced as it is, is a good choice. But overall, the Eee is more bang for the buck, no matter how you look at it."

    As far as me being biased, I will admit that I started out liking the Eee but features vs features, it does come out on top every time. The only software library that your speaking of is an invisible one your crossing your fingers for a few months down the road. With the Eee, it will already work with a massive library of free software with a bigger support team than you could ever hope for.

    But you guys are right, we can only speculate about how succesfull a product will or wont be until it comes out. Time to play the waiting game folks.
  13. TxDot's Avatar
    Posts
    892 Posts
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    #133  
    In this post DarthRepublican makes a very good point. I agree with them that the current Foleo at $300 and a Pro version for more $$$ with more features makes more sense than the current approach. It's all a balancing act. Palm has to price the Foleo so that enough units sell so they can begin to recoup development costs and fund future versions. I'm afraid that the price point they've settled on is too high for the feature set. There just aren't enough executives to make the kind of money they need to make to keep this thing going. I think there are a lot more 50 somethings out there with plenty of disposable income but they won't go for it in it's current configuration. I think the 10" screen is a very big selling point for the 50 something crowd because of eyesight issues (can you tell I'm speaking from experience?). I know several people that rave about the iPhone because of it's large screen size.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

    Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
  14. Gerorne's Avatar
    Posts
    506 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #134  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyPro67 View Post
    Now I know this is was going to happen, people who only read parts that they wanted to read.
    I admit fault here. It wasn't a matter of reading what I wanted to see. It was a long post and late at night, and I was tired, so I started skimming.

    However I do disagree about it looking at those three features as being worth $300 against the Eee, (And going by your own pros/cons list, battery life would have to be added there.) because I'm not comparing between the two as if I HAVE to buy one of them.

    At this point, the Eee doesn't seem like it's worth even the $200 for me because I might as well just use my current laptop. It isn't different enough from my laptop to need to buy one of those.

    The Foleo on the other hand excels in the right combination of features that it will be useful to me for years to come (which is one of your requirements that I happen to agree with) with only a few expected third party programs needed, such as an instant messaging program.

    I was going to go into a long list for myself, and then realized that pointless that'd be, so I'll leave it at that.
  15. #135  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    At this point, the Eee doesn't seem like it's worth even the $200 for me because I might as well just use my current laptop. It isn't different enough from my laptop to need to buy one of those.
    I have laptops. Quite capable, and some not so big.
    But the EEEPC is much smaller, lighter, and more portable.
    I easily see taking this places I wouldn't take my laptop. I don't take my laptop a lot of places just because it's a little too big and heavy.
  16. #136  
    CarPC anyone? lol
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Posting Permissions