Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    i agree that 600 is a ridiculous price for a window and keyboard.
    they should sell one for me at $300 or less because i bought the treo from them.
    whatever,for $200 i'm sold.
    I have to say, the Asus is really ugly, I much prefer the look of the Foleo. That being said, I do agree with everyone that the Foleo does seem a little expensive for what it does, it needs some of those third-party apps built in, needs a video/audio player, and IM app included, for the price its at. (Then again, we can't even get a good IM app on Garnet, so I guess I shouldn't expect more from Foleo.)

However, one thing I wanted to say is this. Has anyone else noticed that just about everyone who has actually used the Foleo says that they're impressed by it more than they thought they'd be, that the device grows on them, and I read a few previews where the writers mentioned that they wished they had the Foleo at the time, instead of having to deal with the laptops. You know the argument that many are saying about the iPhone, towards the dissenters who say it is majorly overpriced for what it does, is that its all about the experience. Maybe Palm is actually onto something here, we'll have to see for ourselves at some point, if you can be open-minded enough to give it a chance when it comes out (hopefully in a more powerful version and/or at a lower price point.)
    Ugly huh?

Older iBooks, MacBooks and that new white HP look similar to the Asus. I also saw a white Acer. White laptops must be in style.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that just about everyone who has actually used the Foleo says that they're impressed by it more than they thought they'd be, ...
    Low expectations will often drive opinions like that.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Has anyone noticed how many people still think a Foleo has to be tethered to a Treo to work? On an airplane or anywhere else, it can be used to create/edit office docs, play games, run 3rd party apps and even write emails. When it re-connects to the treo it will automatically send the emails that were created. If/when someone develops a 3rd party email app for it, the same could be done when re-connecting to wifi.
    Well if Palm wouldn't have said "mobile companion" and keep showing the Treo next to it in their online ad, maybe people wouldn't think that!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Well if Palm wouldn't have said "mobile companion" and keep showing the Treo next to it in their online ad, maybe people wouldn't think that!
    That's understandable Diva. Palm may call it a mobile companion; but a Treo, is not a required companion. Someone on one of these threads said that they should market it as a mobile companion to the mobile user rather than to the mobile phone. I agree and think there will be a lot less confusion and a better chance for success. Throw in native multimedia and a media sync client for NetFlix, Rapshody, Yahoo Music and Others and I think you've got something that could really work for students and business users wanting simple and lightweight. We only use Fujitsu Pseries in our executive group.

I still shake my head when I think of what the LifeDrive could have been. Palm, you still have a chance to get the Foleo right. Please put the new Apple blood in charge of this thing and get it right.
    Until they change their online ad, what else are we supposed to think though? Disbelieve the ad? See that's the problem. Who am I going to believe, the people trying to convince us that the Foleo is more versatile, or my lying eyes?

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I have to say, the Asus is really ugly, I much prefer the look of the Foleo.
    Interesting. I had the exact opposite reaction. When I look at the EEEPC I think it looks quite attractive. I'm also pleasantly surprised that ASUS made an el=cheapo 'laptop' look so good. So often companys make the cheap stuff ugly as heck. I also think the white one looks better than the silver one.
    The Foleo on the other hand is very sleek, also looks attractive, but I think it looks a little plain.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PTUser View Post
    That's understandable Diva. Palm may call it a mobile companion; but a Treo, is not a required companion.
    Wait a minute. I though it got it's email from the actual Treo. I understood this was the point of it.
    So you're saying you can do email without the Treo? Then why does it use the Treo's email?

All in all, what I'm still struggling with the Foleo is understanding why or how It would be useful to me.

Since my phone is WM, I guess that's nothing as far as syncing goes?
    To get email I'd need to VPN in to work, open and sync outlook. I could then use outlook in off line mode.

OK, so then now what else can I do with it? Web browse, play games, edit office docs? How is the Foleo more useful to me than a EEEPC running normal linux or windows XP (at half the price.?)

Instant on? Well if I don't need instant on then is there no benefit to the Foleo? I just don't get it. I'm trying to understand.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    Wait a minute. I though it got it's email from the actual Treo. I understood this was the point of it.
    So you're saying you can do email without the Treo? Then why does it use the Treo's email?

All in all, what I'm still struggling with the Foleo is understanding why or how It would be useful to me.

Since my phone is WM, I guess that's nothing as far as syncing goes?
    To get email I'd need to VPN in to work, open and sync outlook. I could then use outlook in off line mode.

OK, so then now what else can I do with it? Web browse, play games, edit office docs? How is the Foleo more useful to me than a EEEPC running normal linux or windows XP (at half the price.?)

Instant on? Well if I don't need instant on then is there no benefit to the Foleo? I just don't get it. I'm trying to understand.

The native email client does sync with the Treo for email and email addresses. But you can work "offline" with it until it's reconnected to the Treo. We would all prefer that the native client also support direct IMAP, POP and EAS connectivity via Bluetooth DUN or WiFi. Right now, it seems that Palm is leaving that functionality for 3rd party developers to make available. BIG MISTAKE in my book. A full email client should be included from day one. Web mail via WiFi can be done without a Treo; but this should not be the only other option.
    We would like to use foleo once a Citrix/Terminal Services client becomes available. With that and the VPN software, our sales people would have a complete remote windows desktop available from anywhere they can connect.
    But for right now, as often is the case with Palm in recent years, they seem to be "So close and yet so far".

Foleo -> almost but not quite for too much. C'mon Palm you can make this right.
    So it does required a Treo for email.
    So if I get a Foleo, then some day down the road get a different phone (non-treo) I end up with a $600 paperweight because I can't sync my email?

One of the reasons I read my email on a PC is because attachments can be too big to download to the Treo initially. So then what do you do if there's a large attachment too big for the Treo. You can't sync it to your Foleo.
    So then how do you get the attachment to the foleo to edit. How do I send the attachment on? I can log in to web mail, download it from there. But this sort of defeats the purpose of the Foleo. So then why not use an ultaportable PC and skip the limitation?

These are the things that I simply don't understand about the companion concept.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    These are the things that I simply don't understand about the companion concept.
    I agree TaylorH. These are the things that most of us don't understand with Palm's execution of concepts. They could easily include a full email client. Why don't they?? I hope they change their mind.
    BTW they're suppose to get bluetooth DUN running with other phones that support it. But that still does not addess your concern.
    So it does required a Treo for email.
    So if I get a Foleo, then some day down the road get a different phone (non-treo) I end up with a $600 paperweight because I can't sync my email?
    Not quite.

It should support all WM devices as well, which is no niche market. Plus Palm appears to intend to support all smartphones, though that might not be supported on Day 1 of release.

I could see them adding BB, Symbian and even iPhone support and they have hinted as much. But don't expect it to be a "Treo only" device, no way.

Either way, this still requires you to have a smartphone to use with it, though one could imagine a 3rd party email client, plus it supports OWA and other HTML email sites.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    --What exactly do you guys mean?

Ok... I've owned some pda's and I own a treo, but I'm not a super tech savvy guy. I'm confused as to what everyone is talking about when they say it should have a built in email client. It sync's email from the treo... or if I'm hooked up to the internet with wifi, I can just regularly log into gmail like I would normally. What's the missing piece that people want?

--Mobile companion concept

And I'll admit I don't get the companion concept either. To me it seems like a distraction to try to get people to avoid comparing it to laptops too heavily. Myself, that's just how I look at it. An instant on laptop, with instant on, no need for virus software, and battery life that's 2.5 times that of my Dell with wifi/bluetooth on. It's light and quiet and doesn't heat up like crazy and will take care of most my laptop needs.

Again, instant on, and no need for virus software, and great battery life, (plus I have expectations of plenty of useful third party applications, with avvenu something I will most likely get). I would LOVE to have any one of those on my laptop. This gives me all three. The tiny charger is nice bonus as well.

--Just some examples of how I view the instant on feature, plus the assumed hassle free use of the foleo.

1) When I was little, I lived with antenna reception on our tv just fine. When we got cable. WOW. There was no going back.

2)VHS's worked great. They have the entire movie, rewinding's not so bad, as long as I remember to rewind after I've watched the movie, there's no waiting when I want to watch it again. *gets a PS2 and actually sees dvd's at work* WOW. This is great! No rewinding! AND bonus features!

3)Dial-up... DSL/Cable! No 30 second connection with all the buzzes and beeps (although I AM a bit nostalgic about that) AND it just take up the phone line... and obviously the speed benefits.

(Of course now I'm stuck at... DVD's work great. Why would I need a Blu-ray player? Of course... if I didn't need to get a brand new tv, and sound system to take advantage of what blu-ray has to offer, then I might have upgraded by now. Maybe.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    --What exactly do you guys mean?

Ok... I've owned some pda's and I own a treo, but I'm not a super tech savvy guy. I'm confused as to what everyone is talking about when they say it should have a built in email client. It sync's email from the treo... or if I'm hooked up to the internet with wifi, I can just regularly log into gmail like I would normally. What's the missing piece that people want?
    So that email app on the Foleo: it only pulls email from the Treo. You can't setup a POP or IMAP account on the Foleo in addition to the Treo's email, like you would in Outlook. At least that is my understanding of how it works. In other words, it just mirrors your device but is not a full-fledged email client.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    So that email app on the Foleo: it only pulls email from the Treo. You can't setup a POP or IMAP account on the Foleo in addition to the Treo's email, like you would in Outlook. At least that is my understanding of how it works. In other words, it just mirrors your device but is not a full-fledged email client.
    Ooooh. Gotcha. Thanks for that clarification. I forgot that I even used Outlook to do that with an officer email account for the organization I was in, since otherwise I would never check that account. I definitely can see why people who use that extensively would want that built in.
    OK, I get everything about the Foleo,and I love it. It is honestly what I was thinking about before the announcement and I can't wait to get one.

But there is one thing I don't get. What is the point behind having the Foleo sync email only with the smartphone. It seems to me they had to go out of their way to _not_ provide a simple IMAP client. I don't really object to the approach since I always have my Treo with me and it is always up to date with email, but what is Palm's thought behind this decision.

My only thought on this is that if you are using POP, then you would have to delete the junk mail on both devices. It seems there are better solutions to this problem.
  19. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by guinnessdraught View Post
    My only thought on this is that if you are using POP, then you would have to delete the junk mail on both devices.
    I hope (and I'll see if they'll demo this in a couple of weeks) that the sync process will take care of that. Essentially like deleting a rescheduled appointment when you sync your calendar.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    and no need for virus software
    !?!??!?!?!?!?!? A linux OS that connects to the internet and you say there is no need for virus software?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast