Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Golgo 13 View Post
    Actually the Foleo is a better deal, it has a 10" screen, and virtually limitless memory (because the memory it uses is the memory of YOUR SMARTPHONE), the flash ram is just for synchronization purposes.
    I'm sorry, it's NOT. I have found several 15.4" laptops for $700(some were under actually). CD/DVD, basic Vista, basic processor but still more powerful than Foleo as it will not be drawing from the phone's memory as you said the Foleo will do(is that true though?). I'd spend the extra $100 to get a fully functional machine. I can also sync ALL my phones on those, not just a Treo!! Once you go over $500, why buy a watered down device? Just pay for a full machine!

Here's something to look at: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&type=category

Sure it's a crappy selection but which is a better deal as a second laptop(or mobile companion)? Foleo for $600 with barely anything, or these?
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 06/14/2007 at 05:08 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  2.    #42  
    If it uses expresscard 34 for the SSD then you could presumably get one of these,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820191057

or a 4Gb version for around 60 dollars.
  3.    #43  
    Actually the Foleo is a better deal, it has a 10" screen, and virtually limitless memory (because the memory it uses is the memory of YOUR SMARTPHONE), the flash ram is just for synchronization purposes.

LOL.

Even when the Asus is not as cheap as we thought it would be it still has more features for less money than the Foleo. You also forgot to add 500 dollars to the price of the Foleo for the Treo.
    Yeah, you need the phone for the Foleo to be of any use at all! And only a Treo at this time. At $600. What kind of deal is that?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    When did your smartphone get virtually unlimited memory?

Surur
    SD cards
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    There are so many things wrong with that statement...I just don't even know where to start.
    You don't know where to start because you don't understand what the Foleo is... Its a window into your smartphone (with a keyboard)... thats is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I'm sorry, it's NOT. I have found several 15.4" laptops for $700(some were under actually). CD/DVD, basic Vista, basic processor but still more powerful than Foleo as it will not be drawing from the phone's memory as you said the Foleo will do(is that true though?). I'd spend the extra $100 to get a fully functional machine. I can also sync ALL my phones on those, not just a Treo!! Once you go over $500, why buy a watered down device? Just pay for a full machine!

Here's something to look at: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&type=category

Sure it's a crappy selection but which is a better deal as a second laptop(or mobile companion)? Foleo for $600 with barely anything, or these?
    Oh stop it.

Just stop bringing up all these laptop comparisons. The Foleo is NOT a laptop, comparing specs is meaningless.
  8.    #48  
    SD cards
    The Asus holds SD cards.
    Last edited by LoganT; 06/15/2007 at 05:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Yeah, you need the phone for the Foleo to be of any use at all! And only a Treo at this time. At $600. What kind of deal is that?
    Actually, while avoiding the rest of this...ahem...interesting discussion ( ) there is no evidence that it is only for the Treo line of smartphones--that's just an assumption.

Case in point if it can do the Treo WM devices, which I would certainly thing so form the slides and presentations saying as much, it should certainly be able to do any WM device since the core of the OS is the same across all devices e.g. there is nothing specific to the WM Treos that would "flag" them as a Treo device to their sync program. (although techincally they could invoke Device ID hardware specs, but I'd be surpised they'd limit themselves like that)

We'll have to wait and see though when the final specs/limitations are posted.

Which leads me to...

I have a pretty good feeling that due to the cold reception from Palm's fanbase and media, Palm will most likely re-work some aspects of the Foleo. Whether or not this means lower price point, stronger processor, more software or simple re-designs I'm not sure. But Palm seems to be making a very conscious effort at community-outreach and being more transparent, so I would not think they are immune to all of these critiques or the Asus device annoucement. I think the bubble that they live in is starting to open--hope the fresh air doesn't shock them though (like the comments on the Palm Blog--yikes).

Put it this way: at least they announced it with plans to release "sometime" this year (maybe late summer, maybe not) as opposed to announcing and saying go buy 'em!

This gives them some wiggle room for changes even though I believe Hawkins hinted intially "this is it". We'll see though.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 06/14/2007 at 05:55 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

Case in point if it can do the Treo WM devices, which I would certainly thing so form the slides and presentations saying as much, it should certainly be able to do any WM device since the core of the OS is the same across all devices e.g. there is nothing specific to the WM Treos that would "flag" them as a Treo device to their sync program. (although techincally they could invoke Device ID hardware specs, but I'd be surpised they'd limit themselves like that)
    "Foleo mobile companions work with Palm's Treo(TM) smartphones (Palm OS(R) and Windows Mobile(R) versions). However, Palm believes that most smartphones based on Windows Mobile should work with little or no modification. Smartphones based on operating systems from Research in Motion, Apple, and Symbian likely can be supported with a modest software effort."

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/top/palm-...one-264550.php
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    When did your smartphone get virtually unlimited memory?
    From heaven - next to the manna.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    From heaven - next to the manna.
    No I get my SD cards from Amazon.
    Oh stop it.

Just stop bringing up all these laptop comparisons. The Foleo is NOT a laptop, comparing specs is meaningless.
    I do this because the Foleo looks and acts so much like one, but at only a fraction of the power and features. BUT with a basic full laptop price tag. You are not going to stop anyone from making these comparisons!

You don't know where to start because you don't understand what the Foleo is... Its a window into your smartphone (with a keyboard)... thats is.
    It does email and photo sync wirelessly. That's all it does with your phone at this point.

15.    #55  
    You're paying 500 dollars for screen and a keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by LoganT View Post
    Six hundred. You'll be lucky to get the $100 back from Palm as a mail-in rebate judging by Palms current record with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Golgo 13
    SD Cards
    Do we have to go into the RAM =/= storage space argument again? I thought we were past that. Even so 1 or 2 GB SD cards is hardly unlimited. We also don't know if we can run programs off of the storage space on the smartphone companion, or if they need to be run on Foleo's internal storage.
    Oh stop it.

Have you just missed every single discussion on here where this has been argued already? Let me sum it up for you:
    Looks like a laptop
    Priced like a laptop (more than some-the week it was announced there were 2 different models of Laptops at Best Buy on sale for $399 with no need for rebate, not to mention the new Asus Eee)
    Big enough to be a laptop
    Not powerful anything but browse email and simple (non-flash) web pages.

Oh wait, you're right. I guess it's nothing like a laptop at all.

Until this thing is either more powerful than or cheaper than the competition (laptops) there's no market for it. And if you're going to point at the weight or battery life or Linux, just look at the new Asus thing that'll be hitting shelves about the same time as this.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    ASUS's press releases contradict each other.
    One press release says:
    EeePC 701 Specification
    Display:7"
    Storage: 4/ 8/ 16GB Flash

But the other press releas says "Courtesy to its 2Gb SSD flash storage, the Eee PC boots up quickly within 15 seconds"
    It also says $200 for 7" and $300 for 10".

But what the rep was telling the people at computex is that the $200/$300 is for 4GB and 8GB models of the 701 (the 7" screen.)
    The 1001 (the 10" model) is said to not be available until 2008.

So I'm trying to figure out if the August is a 701 (7") with 4GB at $200.
    And the 1001 (10") will have 8GB in 2008?
    Or will there be $200 and $300 (4GB/8GB) models of the 701 in August (hard to believe this would be true) as well as 1001 models in 2008 (for different prices.)

I wonder how hard it is to crack one of these open and upgrade the flash (if it's even cost effective to do so.)
    is there anywhere where I can preorder one of these babies? and is there any news of a europe release? I'd go for a 8gb 7" (smaller is better & why put yourself out just for $100 anyway?)
    You know what, I'm actually thankful that Foleo is here. Because it showed us what other great alternatives are out there!!

I want a ASUS Eee PC!!!!
    Dark Lord of the Sith...
    Fear is My Ally...

http://www.ppcsg.com
    http://www.spug.net
    Quote Originally Posted by LoganT View Post
    Money well spent imo.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast