Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Can the foleo support tab browsing (like in firefox)? And can it have multiple tabs open doing several things all at the same time? I can't find any information about this in the forums. Thanks.
    oh I got a feeling the foleo is going to be put thru many windows
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Its using Opera, so the question is, does Opera do tabbed browsing?

Joe
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Its using Opera, so the question is, does Opera do tabbed browsing?

Joe
    Opera browsers in Windows, Linux, and Mac do tabbed browsing. Opera in phones, DS and Wii do not.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Thanks guys. So most likely, the Opera browser in the Foleo will not support tab browsing. So I basically have to view my web pages 1 at a time.. now that really sucks...

Why did palm make it this way? They should have at least support for tab browsing? And it took them 5 years to concieve this product... Why am I not surprised....
    Isn't it the Firefox browser?
    Quote Originally Posted by janric View Post
    Thanks guys. So most likely, the Opera browser in the Foleo will not support tab browsing. So I basically have to view my web pages 1 at a time.. now that really sucks...

Why did palm make it this way? They should have at least support for tab browsing? And it took them 5 years to concieve this product... Why am I not surprised....
    The fooleo is built for the professional that writes notes..not web browsing hehe....Is it worth 500 buc???? Palm thinks so.
    The fooleo forums will be intresting Reads.lol

How can you ask this and assume so when we do not know?

Samkin said:

Opera browsers in Windows, Linux, and Mac do tabbed browsing
    That's the closest we can get to an answer. The Foleo runs linux, so that leans towards tabbed browsing. But honestly, until they tell us or show us, we just don't know.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=Malatesta;1284021]How can you ask this and assume so when we do not know?

If tab browsing is really a feature on the foleo, I don't see why Palm needs to keep it from the public? Is it a hidden feature? We don't know. But based on Palm's recent actions (eg JH telling that he wished the foleo had a better processor, $600 price point, poor support for Flash video) it seems to me that they are approaching the foleo in providing at least the minimal requirement for their target market (eg business executives that wants to only load 1 web page at a time, writes only notes, does not like watch full length movies and write very long email while on the road). ^_^

I believe if tab browsing is enabled, it would have an impact in the performance and battery life of the foleo.

Anyway, I hope am I wrong about this and hopefully Palm still have a ace in their sleeve for the foleo
    The opera browser on the Nokia n800 doesn't support tab so I doubt it.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Why do you even care about browsing? That's the least thing I cam about on Foleo. Price, memory, size and battery life are the most important thing for me.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Quote Originally Posted by ksom View Post
    Why do you even care about browsing? That's the least thing I cam about on Foleo. Price, memory, size and battery life are the most important thing for me.
    Um, that's kind of one of the biggest points of the Foleo. It's so you can browse the web and look at your email on a bigger screen and keyboard than your Treo.
    LOL the only thing Foleo can do out of box is internet.
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ksom View Post
    What do you need memory, size, and battery life for exactly?
    [QUOTE=janric;1284074]
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    How can you ask this and assume so when we do not know?

If tab browsing is really a feature on the foleo, I don't see why Palm needs to keep it from the public? Is it a hidden feature? We don't know. But based on Palm's recent actions (eg JH telling that he wished the foleo had a better processor, $600 price point, poor support for Flash video) it seems to me that they are approaching the foleo in providing at least the minimal requirement for their target market (eg business executives that wants to only load 1 web page at a time, writes only notes, does not like watch full length movies and write very long email while on the road). ^_^

I believe if tab browsing is enabled, it would have an impact in the performance and battery life of the foleo.

Anyway, I hope am I wrong about this and hopefully Palm still have a ace in their sleeve for the foleo
    As much as I like tabbed browsing, I hardly think JH or anyone at Palm would consider it enough of a selling point to mention unless specifically asked about it. That doesn't mean they're hiding the feature. It just means that they gave a very short presentation without covering all features in detail. I'd like to know if the Foleo's terminal runs vi out of the box (much more exciting for me personally than using Word to Go), but I wouldn't have expected Hawkins to discuss it.

My impression is that Palm only wanted to get the announcement over with, providing just an outline of the product's defining characteristics, then say nothing further until a specific launch date is announced.

Tabbed browsing shouldn't affect the performance or battery life in any meaningful sense. Strictly speaking, tabbed browsing isn't multitasking. It's just a Multiple Document Interface (MDI) in which cached pages are displayed in parallel rather than sequence. That's an oversimplification, but true in essence. If you were to double the default pipelining in Firefox's about:config file, say from 4 http server requests to 8 browsing in a single window, that would consume more resources than browsing at default pipeline settings with multiple tabs, since Firefox caps the number of total simultaneous requests at 8 (I don't know enough about Opera, so I'm using FF in this example).

My guess that the Foleo's Opera will support tabs, since the Foleo uses a full size screen, unlike the Nokia n800. It will probably be pretty close to their desktop browser, with performance optimizations for flash memory. TC's hands-on preview video demonstrates near-zero lag time in app launching, so I would assume that Opera on the Foleo is something that Palm commissioned to be customized specifically for the device, not an off-the-rack desktop or mobile version.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Bad news guys. Foleo officially DOES NOT SUPPORT TAB BROWSING.. Thanks Gameboy70 ! I hope to hear from you some more Foloe fondling... hehehe..
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    ...Foleo officially DOES NOT SUPPORT TAB BROWSING...
    I think it is inaccurate to state that the Foleo doesn't support tabbed browsing. Tabbed browsing is a function of the browser not the OS. If Opera is changed to support tabbed browsing or another vendor creates a browser that supports tabbed browsing then you can do tabbed browsing.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot View Post
    I think it is inaccurate to state that the Foleo doesn't support tabbed browsing. Tabbed browsing is a function of the browser not the OS. If Opera is changed to support tabbed browsing or another vendor creates a browser that supports tabbed browsing then you can do tabbed browsing.
    In its current form, the Foleo's default browser does not support tabbed browsing. You were correct that this is a browser issue. I do hope that at least the Opera browser in the Foleo supports new windows instead of the same method used in blazer.

However, I believe there is a reason why Opera did not enable tabbed browsing. This may be because of the Foleo's hardware limitation. Anyway, we'll know soon.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    ...However, I believe there is a reason why Opera did not enable tabbed browsing. This may be because of the Foleo's hardware limitation. Anyway, we'll know soon.
    It's hard to say if it's the Foleo hardware or if it's that Opera simply doesn't support tabbed browsing on any non-PC (laptop or desktop) because in general smaller devices also means lower memory. And you are correct, soon we'll know. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one of these things.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast