Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    Check it out


    http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/10/how-would-you-change-the-palm-foleo/#comments


    Obviously we've had ALOT of this dscussion already ....
    da Gimp

    Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  2. #2  
    Wow - the Foleo is universally accepted as a fantastic idea over at Engadget...NOT! It seemed like most of the responses were of the "get rid of this piece of junk" variety and the constructive suggestions were of the "give it some real capability" variety.
  3. #3  
    a faster processor. twice as much memory. a ton of bundled programs. and an optional digital tv tuner sd card with some tivo like capabilities.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Wow - the Foleo is universally accepted as a fantastic idea over at Engadget...NOT! It seemed like most of the responses were of the "get rid of this piece of junk" variety and the constructive suggestions were of the "give it some real capability" variety.
    Wow, and we should really go by their responses, when most of them are saying things like "What laptop is that in the picture?" (Hint, its the Foleo) or "Palm should make their own OS like Apple or Windows" (uh, what the hell do they think the Foleo is running?) or the people who want it to be cheaper, faster, and smaller. (While I'm still of the impression that while it should be faster, you're not going to get something in the near future for the same size or smaller, with the same battery length while connected constantly via Bluetooth, that is any cheaper.)

    I agree with some of the posts, for the price I'd like a processor fast enough to run video, and more software is definitely a necessity (especially an ebook reader, preferably something that syncs my position between it and Isilo).

    I disagree with the multitude of comments about the design, I actually really like the look of it as it is.

    One thing that needs to be changed though before the Foleo would be entirely usable: it needs a Treo that can match its battery life while Bluetooth is turned on. While my 700p is now getting record time after the MR, it lasted about 14 hours today, with Chatter in the background the whole time, plus MP3 usage, etc, that length is around a quarter of that as soon as I turn Bluetooth on.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 06/11/2007 at 10:25 PM.
  5. #5  
    I like the idea of the Foleo as well and have taken my share of beatings for it. However, it is truly over priced for its capability. Given what it can do, I think they should knock it down to 300 after a rebate. I would by it even with it current limitations for 300. 650 thats a lot to ask for.
    JasonRM79

    Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
  6. braj's Avatar
    Posts
    961 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonRM79 View Post
    I like the idea of the Foleo as well and have taken my share of beatings for it. However, it is truly over priced for its capability. Given what it can do, I think they should knock it down to 300 after a rebate. I would by it even with it current limitations for 300. 650 thats a lot to ask for.
    Yep, my Treo cost $240. I'm not spending twice that for an accessory.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by braj View Post
    Yep, my Treo cost $240. I'm not spending twice that for an accessory.
    I would in a heartbeat if I felt it provided a capability worth that price.
  8. #8  
    "How would u change the Foleo?"

    Sell it off to ASUS for spare parts.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  9. C201's Avatar
    Posts
    112 Posts
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    #9  
    It's funny that free-marketers are the most vocal bashers of this thing. Why not allow the market to determine its fate instead of pre-emptively defining it negatively? Something to lose if it succeeds?
  10. tirk's Avatar
    Posts
    810 Posts
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by C201 View Post
    It's funny that free-marketers are the most vocal bashers of this thing. Why not allow the market to determine its fate instead of pre-emptively defining it negatively? Something to lose if it succeeds?
    This raises the interesting point of how do we determine if the Foleo succeeds anyway? Palm have already said things like "it will be a low volume product" and "this is just the first version" (not direct quotes). This suggests that selling any of the things will be defined by Palm as a success.

    So, assuming Foleos are still on the market this time next year, what are the (publicly available) success/failure indicators?
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
  11. C201's Avatar
    Posts
    112 Posts
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    This raises the interesting point of how do we determine if the Foleo succeeds anyway? Palm have already said things like "it will be a low volume product" and "this is just the first version" (not direct quotes). This suggests that selling any of the things will be defined by Palm as a success.

    So, assuming Foleos are still on the market this time next year, what are the (publicly available) success/failure indicators?
    'We' can't determine if Folio succeeds until it's in our hands and either finds its niche or doesn't if fairness is the standard. Until then, only speculation is available, making hard 'opinions' a bit premature at the very least.
  12. #12  
    Don't know if this is exactly the right thread, but I've been thinking about this a bit, and I have to say, if the new OS allows the user to store and run programs off a memory card, then I'm thinking the memory capacity becomes largely a moot point. With SD cards holding gigabytes of memory, as long as the speed is manageable, I could not care less how much memory the actual device has, so long as I can actually run my programs. I am way out of my area of expertise on this idea, but since the new OS is based on linux, I don't think it ought to be too terribly difficult for it to run programs off memory cards. Feel free to correct me if I'm missing something important here on why this is not a reasonable idea.

    Gargoyle
  13. #13  
    this is a simple electronic product, you dont have to be a genius to see what it can do. you dont need to get it in your hands, the description is all there. that's why an ovrwhelming negative sentiment vs foleo can be seen everywhere, after all the hype and the secrets, its just amajor major dissapointment.
  14. #14  
    I would add a pound and a half of anti-gravity matter to bring the weight down to under 0.5 kg.

    I'd rather have an intelligent BT folding keyboard than a dumbed-down laptop.

    And yes I see the latent benefit of something-less-than-a-laptop. And yes I see the wisdom of Mr. Market deciding whether the Foleo is a good idea or not. And yes the Foleo can succeed even if I don't buy one.

    For what it's worth I am going to make a 4 day business trip starting tomorrow and I'm not going to take the laptop. (I have a small, lightweight one -- the Dell X-1). It's an experiment. Taking the 750 only. And a spare battery. And a charger.
  15. #15  
    as long as you don't have voluminous work to type, view 1 thousand row spreadsheets, or get so bored that you need more than headlines you should be fine
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    as long as you don't have voluminous work to type, view 1 thousand row spreadsheets, or get so bored that you need more than headlines you should be fine
    Yes, that's true. My particular needs do not demand a large screen. The tiny Treo square screen works well enough for my purposes.

    I'd just like the Treo to have a sidecar that can be jettisoned at times when I want to go fast and have a light, thin phone.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by braj
    I would in a heartbeat if I felt it provided a capability worth that price.
    Me too.... I'd definitely pay 2-3 times the price of a Treo for its sidekick -- provided it was capable of meeting my demands. It can't do jack besides email and surf.

    Again, where are the speakers on this device? I'm not pulling my Treo outta my pocket to play the audio through the speakerphone... I hope they're not kidding.

Posting Permissions